PDA

View Full Version : WHY are they against a QB competition??

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
WTF!

This is completely asinine. He has every right to come back. Really it should be his job if he wants it, but if he is ok w/ a competition then how is that bad for anyone?

Are Ted and Mike that dense? Is it just Ted? I think its both of them.

If they actually think they have a better shot to win w/ Rodgers then they should both be canned today. period.

AR has shown nothing to make anyone w/ half a brain think he can be more successful than Favre this season.

So what exactly is the issue? Brett isn't the first player to retire and decide he wants to still play. get over it.

This entire situation makes no sense if your goal is to win and get to the super bowl. Seems to me this is more about Ted and M3's ego in getting AR behind center.

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
THEY ARENT. Favre is.

"Mike told me, hey, we're a better team with you on it but wanted to know if I have a problem with an open competition," Favre said

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Favre said he is fine w/ an open competition.

They don't think he is better than AR..thats obvious by their actions. So why are they afraid to trade him or release him? I mean if AR is the better option then we have nothing to fear by Favre playing in Min.

right?

MTPackerfan
08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
THEY ARENT. Favre is.

"Mike told me, hey, we're a better team with you on it but wanted to know if I have a problem with an open competition," Favre said

i read that also, but didn't he say a couple of days ago he would be glad to take part in an open competition? It was probably stated that he would be #2 and not get as many snaps, so he didn't feel it would be an "open competition" that way? Just throwing that out there.

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Why is Brett not practicing??

Did he walk away or did they not allow him on the field??

Gene Upshaw and the Union are characters who have not entered the stage yet.

The fat lady is not in site and we have to wait a long time for her song.....

boiga
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
QB competitions don't work because nothing in TC or even preseason games equates to real in game behavior. All competitions do is encourage improvement and let the Coach justify who he was going to pick anyways to the public.

This competition would have made even less sense because none of the media or fans would have accepted M3's decision if he determined that Rodgers deserves to start. So, a competition would have been pointless.

Also, Favre wants to play and has never admitted that he would be willing to take a backup role even if Rodgers clearly out performed him in practice. He's in this to PLAY, so his entire justification to come out of retirement would have gone out the window unless M3 gave him the starting role.

They made the right call to avoid a farce of a competition.

imscott72
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM

They don't think he is better than AR..thats obvious by their actions. So why are they afraid to trade him or release him? I mean if AR is the better option then we have nothing to fear by Favre playing in Min.

right?

Brett said himself that a QB competition isn't good for the team. He said himself it's best if they part ways.

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
THEY ARENT. Favre is.

geez how bout you learn to read or at least post entire quotes

"I don't have a problem with competing -- you know that, but Aaron should be the starter right now because he's been out here all this time. This is more than about an open competition and I can do that, absolutely, but this is going to be mass confusion and that's not good for this team.

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 02:41 PM

right?

Yeah, because it makes sense to make your rival better.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Why is Brett not practicing??

Did he walk away or did they not allow him on the field??

Gene Upshaw and the Union are characters who have not entered the stage yet.

The fat lady is not in site and we have to wait a long time for her song.....He walked away. Looks like he is headed south.

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 02:45 PM
he aint practicing because M3 in his infinite wisdom told him he shouldn't practice if he isn't committed to supporting AR as the starting QB.

Why do they think AR makes them better??????

The Leaper
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
The Packers stance is that they are not against an open competition, they just don't want one in this instance because it isn't good for the team.

Favre isn't against an open competition either.

Despite the fact both sides are open to an open competition, there won't be one.

No wonder they were talking for 5 hours last night.

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 02:48 PM
the packers stance as I've heard it lately is AR is the starter and Favre would be the back up. no competition.

The Packers don't want a competition because they know AR can't beat out Favre in any way shape or form. however you want to measure it, Favre is the better player.

guess putting the best team out there isn't the goal this yr.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2008, 02:49 PM
He walked away. Looks like he is headed south.

did you notice whether his shadow fell on his left or right side?

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
He walked away. Looks like he is headed south.

did you notice whether his shadow fell on his left or right side?Hard to tell with PacoPete obstucting the view becuase he is chapping his lips on Favre's ass.

boiga
08-05-2008, 02:53 PM
guess putting the best team out there isn't the goal this yr.Exactly. McCarthy is trying his darndest to make this team lose. Ted's been coveting that 1st overall draft pick since he got here and decided now would be the best time to crash and burn.

I wonder if Murphy is in on this oh so obvious sabotage?

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
guess putting the best team out there isn't the goal this yr.Exactly. McCarthy is trying his darndest to make this team lose. Ted's been coveting that 1st overall draft pick since he got here and decided now would be the best time to crash and burn.

I wonder if Murphy is in on this oh so obvious sabotage?You got it. McCarthy wants to lose his job just to stick it to Favre.

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

I wonder if Murphy is in on this oh so obvious sabotage?You got it. McCarthy wants to lose his job just to stick it to Favre.

Thats what I heard too.

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

so AR makes this a better team?

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 02:59 PM

so AR makes this a better team?

How do you know he doesnt? You think you more than MM?

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 03:00 PM

so AR makes this a better team?Sarcasm flys right over your head, doesn't it?

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Ok, I'll try to explain the problem with Favre going to Minnesota again, seeing as how last time most thought my explaination was very well worded and easily understood. So follow along carefully.

Ted Thompson is the GM of the Green Bay Packers. The Minnesota Vikings are a fierce rival of ours, a team whose success or failure greatly impacts the Packers chances of winning the division and reaching the playoffs. Are we in agreement so far? Good. On we go.

Whether a Brett Favre led Vikings team can or cannot beat an Aaron Rodgers led Packers team is irrelevant. What this is about - and ALL this is about - is that a Brett Favre led Vikings team is better than a Tavaris Jackson led Vikings team. And a better Vikings team is not good for Green Bay. Period.

Even if the Rodgers led Packers team splits the series with the Favre led Vikings team, the Vikings are in a better position to beat a whole lot of teams not called the Green Bay Packers. And those games matter too, because as I mentioned earlier, they play in the same division as the Packers. Even if the Packers won BOTH of those games, there are still 14 other games that matter. If Green Bay finishes 7-7 in those games while Minnesota finishes 10-4, then the Vikings win the division even though they lost both games to the Packers.

As a GM you do not, for any reason, under any circumstances, WHATSOEVER, make one of your fiercest rivals better. At all. Ever. For ANY reason. There are 28 other teams not in our division that I'd have no problems with him being traded to. The other 3 teams in the NFC North are and should be entirely out of the question, no matter what. Period.

I hope I've laid that out clearly enough that everyone can understand. There is a very good reason why TT is blocking any and all attempts by Favre to play for Minnesota, and if Favre had half a brain he'd understand what that reason is. Same goes for us Rats. If we truly support the Packers then we are in agreement that Favre in a Vikings uniform is not an acceptable outcome of this saga.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
VAN SUSTEREN: What about competing for starting quarterback?

FAVRE: Why?

Let me compete, you'll know I'll win this job

I'll practice my butt off, if it comes to that, and I think we all know what the end result will be, but this probably isn't going to work.

The problem is that, at first, he thought it was beneath him to compete for it. Then, he changed his tune, but he was being kind of a dink about it. If for some reason, McCarthy chose Rodgers, he doesn't sound like somebody that would take it too well. Then, more distractions for the team.

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
i understand that logic of not trading him to MIN. I say it more in jest because I'd have no problems trading AR to Min. none whatsoever.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Ok, I'll try to explain the problem with Favre going to Minnesota again, seeing as how last time most thought my explaination was very well worded and easily understood. So follow along carefully.

Ted Thompson is the GM of the Green Bay Packers. The Minnesota Vikings are a fierce rival of ours, a team whose success or failure greatly impacts the Packers chances of winning the division and reaching the playoffs. Are we in agreement so far? Good. On we go.

Whether a Brett Favre led Vikings team can or cannot beat an Aaron Rodgers led Packers team is irrelevant. What this is about - and ALL this is about - is that a Brett Favre led Vikings team is better than a Tavaris Jackson led Vikings team. And a better Vikings team is not good for Green Bay. Period.

Even if the Rodgers led Packers team splits the series with the Favre led Vikings team, the Vikings are in a better position to beat a whole lot of teams not called the Green Bay Packers. And those games matter too, because as I mentioned earlier, they play in the same division as the Packers. Even if the Packers won BOTH of those games, there are still 14 other games that matter. If Green Bay finishes 7-7 in those games while Minnesota finishes 10-4, then the Vikings win the division even though they lost both games to the Packers.

As a GM you do not, for any reason, under any circumstances, WHATSOEVER, make one of your fiercest rivals better. At all. Ever. For ANY reason. There are 28 other teams not in our division that I'd have no problems with him being traded to. The other 3 teams in the NFC North are and should be entirely out of the question, no matter what. Period.

I hope I've laid that out clearly enough that everyone can understand. There is a very good reason why TT is blocking any and all attempts by Favre to play for Minnesota, and if Favre had half a brain he'd understand what that reason is. Same goes for us Rats. If we truly support the Packers then we are in agreement that Favre in a Vikings uniform is not an acceptable outcome of this saga.Carefull the Favre sycophants will come at you with the pitchforks.
Seriously, I wish they would trade him to Minnesota just to get this over with, but agree with you and totally understand why TT does not.

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
i understand that logic of not trading him to MIN. I say it more in jest because I'd have no problems trading AR to Min. none whatsoever.

I'd have a problem with AR being traded anywhere. He's the guy who is ready to take over for Favre, not Brohm. And 2 more years of Favre isn't going to make Brohm any more prepared, because as the 3rd string QB he's not going to develop a whole lot. Then Favre retires the same year that Rodgers' contract is up, and Rodgers leaves because the Packers have not honored thier committment to him to let him play. Now we are stuck with a 3rd string QB as our starter. Fuck that, trade Favre before you trade Rodgers.

boiga
08-05-2008, 03:07 PM
so AR makes this a better team? In my opinion, yes.

No matter what happened, we would have to transition on to a post-favre era eventually. If this transition is poorly handled, we could be stuck in a situation where we are throwing a rookie QB to the wolves backed up by a lousy team. That is what happened to the Dolphins and Ravens this last year, and it doesn't end well.

So, the Packer management tried to plan for this transition. They groomed Aaron for the past three years and when Brett retired, they handed him the reigns. Rodgers is a young, improving quarterback with the potential to by our franchise guy. The team is strong enough this year to support his growing pains without giving us a losing season. The transition looks healthy.

To give back the starting position to a declining Brett Favre could give us a debatable better shot this season, but odds are that we would lose Rodgers in the process. That sacrifices all the planning that had been made to this point and leaves us at great risk should Favre seriously decline or waffle himself into retirement soon.

So, in my opinion Rodgers gives us a decent shot at success in the short term and MUCH BETTER chance of success in the long term than we would have relying on the less than decisive Favre for the near future.

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
never have been impressed w/ AR. Brohm will be the guy in a couple yrs anyway.

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Andy you know this, how? What has Brohm shown you that Rodgers hasn't?

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
so AR makes this a better team? In my opinion, yes.

No matter what happened, we would have to transition on to a post-favre era eventually. If this transition is poorly handled, we could be stuck in a situation where we are throwing a rookie QB to the wolves backed up by a lousy team. That is what happened to the Dolphins and Ravens this last year, and it doesn't end well.

So, the Packer management tried to plan for this transition. They groomed Aaron for the past three years and when Brett retired, they handed him the reigns. Rodgers is a young, improving quarterback with the potential to by our franchise guy. The team is strong enough this year to support his growing pains without giving us a losing season. The transition looks healthy.

To give back the starting position to a declining Brett Favre could give us a debatable better shot this season, but odds are that we would lose Rodgers in the process. That sacrifices all the planning that had been made to this point and leaves us at great risk should Favre seriously decline or waffle himself into retirement soon.

So, in my opinion Rodgers gives us a decent shot at success in the short term and MUCH BETTER chance of success in the long term than we would have relying on the less than decisive Favre for the near future.

The Packers are not in a position to be like Mia or Balt. we have a very young roster w/ a lot of guys locked up. the supporting cast will be younger and more talented than anything mia or balt tossed out there. If we make sure we have a solid O-line we could get by a yr of growing pains by a younger QB such as Brohm. Who i think has more potential long term anyway.

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Not if he's 3rd string for the next couple years. 3rd string QB's do not get nearly enough practice reps to develop into starting caliber QB's. The only way Brohm could be ready in a couple years is if he's the second string QB, and the only way he is the second string QB is if both Favre and Rodgers are not ahead of him. With Rodgers, you know he'll be here next year. With Favre, you have no clue what he's going to do. Even if you want Brohm as the eventual successor to Favre, you STILL want Favre gone this year.

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 03:14 PM

Andy you know this, how? What has Brohm shown you that Rodgers hasn't?

opinion. Do i need to specifically state i wasn't looking at a crystal ball or taking the Delorean for a spin? :roll:

I just think the pressure of replacing Favre was already a huge weight. Now add this on top of it and it makes it for a nearly impossible situation for AR to have a successful career in GB. He is going to have to play at an extremely high level to make fans forget about this fiasco of running a legend out of town.

Packers4Glory
08-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Not if he's 3rd string for the next couple years. 3rd string QB's do not get nearly enough practice reps to develop into starting caliber QB's. The only way Brohm could be ready in a couple years is if he's the second string QB, and the only way he is the second string QB is if both Favre and Rodgers are not ahead of him. With Rodgers, you know he'll be here next year. With Favre, you have no clue what he's going to do. Even if you want Brohm as the eventual successor to Favre, you STILL want Favre gone this year.

plenty of future QB's have been 3rd stringers. He'll get the drills w/ the QB coach. He'll get plenty of time learning how to study films and learning the play book. thats the important stuff for new guys transitioning from NCAA to NFL.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2008, 03:16 PM
opinion. Do i need to specifically state i wasn't looking at a crystal ball or taking the Delorean for a spin? :roll:

It's all just our opinion. It's okay to think Brohm will be the shit. My opinion is that Favre would struggle to repeat last year.

Lurker64
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I think the issue is that while neither Favre nor McCarthy are against an open competition, McCarthy is adamant that Rodgers get the majority of reps in training camp because "preparing Rodgers for the season" is a priority. If we look at "minimizing bad" instead of "maximizing good" McCarthy's perspective makes sense. If there were an open competition either Favre or Rodgers would win, and the "most bad" scenario is if Rodgers wins but has his preseason reps cut into by the whole Favre thing (which is a distinct possibility.) If Favre wins the competition, it doesn't really matter how many reps he got, but if Rodgers starts week 1 we want him to get as many reps as possible.

So provided there is a QB competition, if Favre loses, he will actually be making this team worse because he has denied Rodgers reps that Rodgers needs.

I also believe that since McCarthy and Thompson both got extensions recently, they have reason to believe that "winning as many games possible over the next 2, 3, 4, 5 years" is more important than "winning as many games as possible". We have the nucleus and coach to put together a team that wins this division and is competitive in the NFC for years, provided nothing screws it up.

boiga
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
The Packers are not in a position to be like Mia or Balt. we have a very young roster w/ a lot of guys locked up. the supporting cast will be younger and more talented than anything mia or balt tossed out there. If we make sure we have a solid O-line we could get by a yr of growing pains by a younger QB such as Brohm. Who i think has more potential long term anyway.That's exactly it, we're not there right now. But all it would take is a decline in some of our starters and 2 injuries to put us right there with them.

Now's the chance to move on successfully. We don't know if this window of opportunity will be there next year.

I just think the pressure of replacing Favre was already a huge weight. Now add this on top of it and it makes it for a nearly impossible situation for AR to have a successful career in GB. He is going to have to play at an extremely high level to make fans forget about this fiasco of running a legend out of town. The weight of replacing Favre would have been enormous no matter what. The recent developments don't make it any worse.

If Rodgers can repeat what he did in Dallas sometime in the first three games, I think he'll be good. You're right, however, that his window of opportunity will be a small one.

texaspackerbacker
08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
So the never-ending saga of As The Favre Turns continues.

Sunday evening, it looked bad--from the point of view of those of us who agree with Thompson/McCarthy that the team is better off with Rodgers at QB. Now, it has swung back, to a great extent, to a big no way for Favre starting.

It seems to me that Favre--or at least Favre's people--seem to keep moving back the goalposts. He wanted to come to camp; He wanted "open competition"; Now, that's not good enough because he presumes--as do a lot of us--that the "competition" would be a foregone conclusion in favor of Rodgers.

Brett is saying the right things; Rodgers deserves to start at this point, and true competiton would be distracting and disruptive regarding preparation of the team for the season. However, I think the bottom line for him is that he doesn't want to be a backup in Green Bay.

That's unfortunate, because that's probably the only decent compromise that could have been had. There is no way the Packers trade him within the division; There is no incentive other than money for them to release him--and they have demonstrated that money doesn't mean that much to them; And it seems doubtful that Brett will agree to a trade to somewhere the Packers would agree to.

So we still don't know how it will end, but unlike Sunday, it looks very unlikely he will take Rodgers's job.

pack4to84
08-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Here is my take. I will use some examples for you guys. First off your the coach of a High School Football team. Your best player is trying to run the team he thinks he the coach. You call a play and send it in. Your QB who is the best player changes the play. He calls his number. Runs for a TD. You scolded him on the sideline he points to the score board. Next time you get the ball you send in a play he changes it, another TD. If your team is going to follow you as coach you have to bench him or you will lose your whole team.
I believe that last year Favre luck ran out on change what MM called and it cost the Packers a chance at the Super Bowl. MM wasn't happy with Favre when he changed the play that ended in an INT setting up the winning field goal. Now Favre is trying to run this team again even after missing all the OTA's. If you where a coach and a player missed every practice would he start for your team? NO and he would ride the bench with no chance of being the QB. I think Brohm would be number 2 QB even if Farve was on the roster.

FritzDontBlitz
08-05-2008, 04:18 PM
The Packers stance is that they are not against an open competition, they just don't want one in this instance because it isn't good for the team.

Favre isn't against an open competition either.

Despite the fact both sides are open to an open competition, there won't be one.

No wonder they were talking for 5 hours last night.

It sounds like this is all about the best way to salvage the egos of M3 and A-Rod's than it is about what's best for the team. Do people really think Favre couldn't win that competition outright? I'm not really pleased with the idea M3 is using the rest of the team as an excuse for his unwillingness to have an open competition and risk A-Rod losing.

FritzDontBlitz
08-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Here is my take. I will use some examples for you guys. First off your the coach of a High School Football team. Your best player is trying to run the team he thinks he the coach. You call a play and send it in. Your QB who is the best player changes the play. He calls his number. Runs for a TD. You scolded him on the sideline he points to the score board. Next time you get the ball you send in a play he changes it, another TD. If your team is going to follow you as coach you have to bench him or you will lose your whole team.

This probably the worst analogy I've ever heard. The star QB is changing the play and scoring TD's and he should be benched? Aren't those called "audibles?"

Tyrone Bigguns
08-05-2008, 04:27 PM

This probably the worst analogy I've ever heard. The star QB is changing the play and scoring TD's and he should be benched? Aren't those called "audibles?"

No, an audible is at the line...not changing a play.