View Full Version : Growing Respect For McCarthy

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I was very impressed.
Professional.
Very strong, yet fair.

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Agree - 100% class, especially considering the amt of stress he is under.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I have to apologize for everything I accused McCarthy of being. That was evrything I believed about him. He really stood tall today. He proved me wrong and I rhank him for that. I won't question his backbone again.

motife
"Why would I let someone with that negative attitude into my locker room."

McCarthy was respectful, but in spots brutal.

He's been the one grown up in this whole charade.

Pacopete4
I have to apologize for everything I accused McCarthy of being. That was evrything I believed about him. He really stood tall today. He proved me wrong and I rhank him for that. I won't question his backbone again.

You will if Favre has a change of heart and wants to compete for his job.. then you'll go back to hating EVERYONE

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 05:46 PM
A very possible bright spot in all this, with benefits down the road, may be the strength and sense of committment to the good of the team that the Packers organization is being required to display.
Steel being forged in a crucible.

boiga
08-05-2008, 05:47 PM
A very possible bright spot in all this, with benefits down the road, may be the strength and sense of committment to the good of the team that the Packers organization is being required to display.

I hope so. If the players watched this press conference, then I'm am certain that we are going to have one heck of a unified team this year.

motife
08-05-2008, 05:47 PM
forged in a crucible.

is that anything like a Rubicon?

vince
08-05-2008, 05:48 PM
well said Shadow.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 05:49 PM
forged in a crucible.

is that anything like a Rubicon?

We've already crossed that river.

Freak Out
08-05-2008, 05:49 PM

:lol: :lol:

You want Ari's job don't you?

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 05:50 PM

You will if Favre has a change of heart and wants to compete for his job.. then you'll go back to hating EVERYONEWhat do you mean go back. Favre is stil a POS. TT is an untrustworthy snake. McCarthy is the only one who has shown backbone. He has proven me wrong.. Happy to say hes proven me wrong

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 05:50 PM

How do you know I'm NOT Ari?

Pacopete4
08-05-2008, 05:51 PM

You will if Favre has a change of heart and wants to compete for his job.. then you'll go back to hating EVERYONEWhat do you mean go back. Favre is stil a POS. TT is an untrustworthy snake. McCarthy is the only one who has shown backbone. He has proven me wrong.. Happy to say hes proven me wrong

All I've read from you is that if Favre is the QB this year TT and MM should lose their jobs... it just doesnt make sense

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 05:53 PM

All I've read from you is that if Favre is the QB this year TT and MM should lose their jobs... it just doesnt make senseFavre's gone. Get over it.

Pacopete4
08-05-2008, 05:54 PM

All I've read from you is that if Favre is the QB this year TT and MM should lose their jobs... it just doesnt make senseFavre's gone. Get over it.

you didnt believe that fake trade did u?

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 05:54 PM

You were quite the Favrian Drama queen with all the railing on MM :lol:

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 05:56 PM

You were quite the Favrian Drama queen with all the railing on MM :lol:Sure, but McCarthy is proving to being a man of his word and laying down the law. Rodgers is the starter and its time to go forward. And Im excited about that.

boiga
08-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Here's florio's take:
PACKERS COACH TALKS, SAYS LITTLE
Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2008, 6:48 p.m.

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy finally met the media on Tuesday afternoon/early evening. But since various other media outlets have reported anything and everything about McCarthy’s Monday night meeting with Favre, McCarthy had nothing of any value to add.

Indeed, nothing McCarthy said significantly conflicted with prior reports, and McCarthy would say nothing about trade discussions that are now supposedly occurring in earnest between the Packers, Favre, and the Buccaneers.

Here’s what, based on our discussions with league insiders, we think McCarthy would have said, if he had opted for candor:

“Now you guys have finally gotten a taste of what we’ve been dealing with the past few years. Brett Favre can’t make up his damn mind. Ted Thompson and I decided after we both got contract extensions that now is the time to quit kissing Brett’s ass, in the hopes that he’d just go away. And so he went away and we moved on and now he wants to dictate where he’s going to play and he used the possibility of forcing his way back onto the Packers as a way to get what he wants. We’re not going to release him, but we’ll do everything we can to trade him to a team that’s not in the NFC North.”

I'd give M3 more credit... but he's not all wrong either.

taylor 31
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Great post Shadow! You sure could tell why he's such a good coach.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Great post Shadow! You sure could tell why he's such a good coach.

Hi, Taylor 31.
Seeing your name reminded me that I was a lot more upset when Jimmy Taylor opted to jump ship and sign with the Saints.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 06:04 PM

you didnt believe that fake trade did u?He's done in GB. Accept it.

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 06:11 PM

You were quite the Favrian Drama queen with all the railing on MM :lol:Sure, but McCarthy is proving to being a man of his word and laying down the law. Rodgers is the starter and its time to go forward. And Im excited about that.

Actually if you listened to it all MM hinted that if Fave was ready to come in and be a Packer there might be an open competitions but said Favre was not committed enough or ready to be there.

That would have sent you flying through the roof again :lol:

You should actually thank Brett Favre for wanting to move on and not being ready to commit to a comeback with GB

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
One definite thing I took away from the conference :
If I was supposed to be in the film room on Thursday night, I WOULD BE THERE.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Actually if you listened to it all MM hinted that if Fave was ready to come in and be a Packer there might be an open competitions but said Favre was not committed enough or ready to be there.

You should actually thank Brett Favre for wanting to move on and not being ready to commit to a comeback with GBI listened. Saying there might be a competition if Favre gets his mind right is just like saying Woody will act sane is he gets on his medcation. Woody still aint sane and Favre still isn't getting a competition.

Zool
08-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I listened. Saying there might be a competition if Favre gets his mind right is just like saying Woody will act sane is he gets on his medcation. Woody still aint sane and Favre still isn't getting a competition.

Speaking of, wheres he been. Also wheres M today. Are there clock towers near the Packers HQ? Someone should make a sweep.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
They may be trying to get their mindsets in order.
I'm sure we'll hear from baddest bear and Bear Man soon, also.

cpk1994
08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I listened. Saying there might be a competition if Favre gets his mind right is just like saying Woody will act sane is he gets on his medcation. Woody still aint sane and Favre still isn't getting a competition.

Speaking of, wheres he been. Also wheres M today. Are there clock towers near the Packers HQ? Someone should make a sweep.Woody Im sure is waiting for his assigned time at his Mental institution's computer.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 06:40 PM

Speaking of, wheres he been. Also wheres M today. Are there clock towers near the Packers HQ? Someone should make a sweep.Woody Im sure is waiting for his assigned time at his Mental institution's computer.

Ooo, is he gonna be mad!
I predict at least 3,000 angry outburst posts over the next few days.

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Ooo, is he gonna be mad!

you and cpk and a couple others must be tipping the champaign and eating caviar

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Ooo, is he gonna be mad!

Oh no, and I might even be able to understand one of them too, right?

:shock:

pbmax
08-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Funny that you mention that (possibly intentional too) as that is the jist of Fleischer's approach. 84 ways to say them same thing no matter how the question is phrased or whether it actually answers the question.

pbmax
08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I was also impressed by McCarthy. He has come a long way with the press since first getting entangled with Al Harris' OTA participation.

I also got the sense that McCarthy, more than Favre or Thompson at times, seems to be the one with the clearest sense of what he wants out of this. Might be the benefit of his position, but it gives him a sense of authority on this topic.

I wonder how ESPN will spin this so it looks like the Packers are still preventing Favre from competing for a starting spot, now that M3 said they never even came back to that initial question, what is your mindset if you come to practice this week?

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 07:51 PM

Ooo, is he gonna be mad!

you and cpk and a couple others must be tipping the champaign and eating caviar

No. The feeling is more similar to when the Mike McKenzie and Javon Walker situations were resolved.
Relief.

motife
08-05-2008, 08:00 PM
(Has Brett played his last game as a Green Bay Packer?)
....that's where we concluded in our conversation, that basically he was not in the right mindset to play here because of all of the things that went on. That's where we left it and I went to practice.

(When you say not in the right mindset, does he have animosity toward the franchise?)
....Those are the words that were used when we concluded.

(So competing was an option on the table?)
That was something that we would have talked about if he would have got to the right mindset. He's a football player, OK? I'm not doing the PR thing anymore. I'm coaching the football team. The football team has moved forward, OK? The train has left the station, whatever analogy you want. He needs to jump on the train and let's go, or if we can't get past all of the things that have happened, I need to keep the train moving, and he respects that.

(Did you feel that the meeting turned into discussing all of the events and hashing out feelings?)
That's what it turned into. That was not my intent when I started the meeting. My whole intent was, 'was he coming into the locker room to play for the Green Bay Packers, and where is your mind at?' That was the first question I asked him, and we could never get back to that point where he was comfortable.

(Given the way he feels, are you better served to move on without him?)
Well, given his mindset, why would I let anybody of a negative mindset in our locker room?

(Fans want to know why he isn't the starter for the Green Bay Packers?)
That's a great question. I think you need to ask Brett....The path to get to where we are has done some damage. That's where he is.

(We will ask him, but from your standpoint, why isn't he the starter?)
My direction has never changed. I have answered the question. I have prepared Aaron Rodgers to be the starting quarterback since he retired.....I didn't get the answers to the questions that I was looking for to open that competition up, so why would I do that to my football team? That would be poor leadership. It's not a popularity contest. I wasn't going to go there.

(Is his mindset not right for playing here or playing period?)
I would just say here in Green Bay. He wants to play. I told him that through the whole process, I did not think he was going to play this year. Just listening to all the conversation, the number of things that have happened between March all the way to this point, and that was one of the things, I said prove me wrong. Tell me I'm wrong, that you're playing for all the right reasons.,,,, I thought his decision to play was emotional. He told me that was not the case, and I respect that. I told him over and over again, I would like to be wrong, but I never thought through this whole process that he was going to play this year, and if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

(Can he still change your mind?)
I don't think so.

motife
08-05-2008, 08:02 PM
(What makes you so sure Aaron will get the job done?)
You just have to believe in a number of things. Number one, I think he's prepared himself for this opportunity. I think he has the tools, physically, mentally, emotionally. I mean, you talk about what he's been challenged with emotionally of late, this is great (training). Who's had better training to play in the National Football league than Aaron Rodgers, and I think he's handled it well. Is he still a first-year quarterback? He's going to have some bumps in the road, I'm not naïve to that. But once again, we need to focus on playing better defense, playing better special teams, and playing offense the way we need to play to score points, and that will never change. I believe in Aaron because he's very talented, but he has prepared himself for this situation. He's had the opportunity to study behind a legend for three years. I think he's taken full advantage of it.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I think Favre really is suffering emotionally and I feel bad about that. Going through retirement and all this rejection probably has him overwhelmed.

A fresh start in Tampa could be a great thing. Rooming with Chuckie.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I think Favre really is suffering emotionally and I feel bad about that. Going through retirement and all this rejection probably has him overwhelmed.

Agree.

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Agree, and I think if his father were still around, this wouldn't have happened. Hell I don't even think he would have retired at all.

Rest In Peace, Irv.

gex
08-05-2008, 08:47 PM

Agree also

RashanGary
08-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I think the reason McCArthy sounded like the authority here is because he is the one who made the decision and every time Ted talks he knows that this is a big contraversy and he'd rather look like an asshole then come right out and say "Mike did it". He looks like an asshole because he says ntohing but MM is the one who seems to be driving this whole decision and now that he really spoke on it I think it helped a lot.

Brett just wasn't committed to this team and the Packers (McCarthy) are not in a place where they're willing to accept players who don't really want to be there. That's my opinion anyway. It was just a tough decision. I hope Brett can move forward and enjoy his season and retirement thereafter.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Grace under pressure.
Some demonstrate it on the playing field only - nice.
Watching McCarthy demonstrate it in life - pricelss.

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:16 PM

You should actually thank Brett Favre for wanting to move on and not being ready to commit to a comeback with GB

This point was made a few times by McCarthy: Favre is not in the right mindset. I interpret that to mean Favre feels rejected and unappreciated by the organization, and he's so pissed he can't imagine sitting down and doing the grunt work required to make himself - and more importantly the team - look good.

I appreciate that Favre was honest about this with MM. It's hard to want to put in extra time if you feel like the boss doesn't appreciate you (in this case, "boss" would be TT).

As for the original topic of the thread, I too am impressed - very impressed - by MM. He seems to have taken control and at the same time seems to be gracious about Favre's sore spot. He seemed respectful of Favre without giving up ground on his position as head coach. I am breathing a sigh of relief.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 10:44 PM

This point was made a few times by McCarthy: Favre is not in the right mindset. I interpret that to mean Favre feels rejected and unappreciated by the organization, and he's so pissed he can't imagine sitting down and doing the grunt work required to make himself - and more importantly the team - look good.

I appreciate that Favre was honest about this with MM. It's hard to want to put in extra time if you feel like the boss doesn't appreciate you (in this case, "boss" would be TT).

As for the original topic of the thread, I too am impressed - very impressed - by MM. He seems to have taken control and at the same time seems to be gracious about Favre's sore spot. He seemed respectful of Favre without giving up ground on his position as head coach. I am breathing a sigh of relief.

It's a good feeling to know that the Packer administration is both strong and sharp.

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 10:48 PM

It's a good feeling to know that the Packer administration is both strong and sharp.

I believe we are talking about MM only :idea:

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I believe we are talking about MM only.

Not at all. Who HIRED McCarthy?
Who assembled the talent - young talent?
And who has managed the salary cap so effectively?

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM

Thread has focused on MM's leadership but I notice you always like generalizing; truth be told MM could give TT some lessons IMO and if TT had been more direct early on in this process and taken some of the tact MM did this mess would have been a heck of a lot better

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Thread has focused on MM's leadership but I notice you always like generalizing; truth be told MM could give TT some lessons IMO and if TT had been more direct early on in this process and taken some of the tact MM did this mess would have been a heck of a lot better

That wasn't specific?

Zool
08-05-2008, 11:00 PM
if TT had been more direct early on in this process and taken some of the tact MM did this mess would have been a heck of a lot better

Same could be said for your namesake too. Instead of texting and making phone calls, he could have showed up and had a face to face. I guess Greta is better to talk to than Thompson.

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 11:02 PM

That wasn't specific?

True, and I'd agree with you on three above points

swede
08-05-2008, 11:02 PM

But the statements by MM point out that it in all likelihood was he and not TT who was driving the Packers' steadfast position that only a fully committed athlete was welcome to return to the team.

TT may have been quietly-even silently protecting and supporting his head coach through all this mess, even as his quiet support was interpreted by the media to be indecision or incompetence.

Joemailman
08-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Just wondering, B. Do you think this would have turned out differently if MM was the GM?

gbgary
08-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Respect For McCarthy

i've liked him from the start. he made a couple of game decisions last year that i hated but he's done a great job overall. he's got a strong personality and i think the players respect him. from watching practice clips he doesn't talk down to people and he seems to have everyone's attention.

sharpe1027
08-06-2008, 12:38 AM
if TT had been more direct early on in this process and taken some of the tact MM did this mess would have been a heck of a lot better

Same could be said for your namesake too. Instead of texting and making phone calls, he could have showed up and had a face to face. I guess Greta is better to talk to than Thompson.

Don't forget about asking for a release without even bothering to sit down and talk things through, complaining about GM moves, telling the media about statements made in confidence by your supposed friend, that are likely to put him in a difficult position and telling the media about something said a personal conversation to try to make the other person look bad.

Besides, how direct did they have to be? To paraphrase they said:

We have moved on, you are not going to be a starter. What's that, you say you aren't sure you are going to be able to commit to playing for us? Can we work out a trade to your liking, who do you want to play for? Nobody? Well that puts us in a difficult position. Oh, I see you finally asked for reinstatement after ripping us in the media and requesting a release. What's that, you still aren't sure you can commit to playing for us. Sure, we'll work a trade to your liking.

The fact of the matter is, that MM is more likely to have been the one making this type of decision anyway. TT does not decide who starts and who doesn't, yet everyone blames him for it all. Just like when people say TT has a huge ego and have zero facts to back it up.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Just wondering, B. Do you think this would have turned out differently if MM was the GM?

Excellent question.

I personally think no GM could handle this saga well. Favre was like a wounded bear, totally unsettled and angry and unpredicatable. And a popular one at that. What a nightmare.

vince
08-06-2008, 06:31 AM
But the statements by MM point out that it in all likelihood was he and not TT who was driving the Packers' steadfast position that only a fully committed athlete was welcome to return to the team.

TT may have been quietly-even silently protecting and supporting his head coach through all this mess, even as his quiet support was interpreted by the media to be indecision or incompetence.
This is exactly the correct view as I see it. Great observation swede. I think the fans are as much to "blame" for the misinterpretation as the media though.

cpk1994
08-06-2008, 07:02 AM

Excellent question.

I personally think no GM could handle this saga well. Favre was like a wounded bear, totally unsettled and angry and unpredicatable. And a popular one at that. What a nightmare.Mike Sherman would have just competely caved to FAvre from the start, so I think the Favre sycophants would say he would hav handled it well.

cpk1994
08-06-2008, 07:07 AM

Ooo, is he gonna be mad!

Oh no, and I might even be able to understand one of them too, right?

:shock:No, but if you act fast, for just 3 easy payments of $29.99, you can get this Woody-to-English translator. Its availble online through the gift shop at Woody's Mental Institution.

Stevogbfan
08-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Grace under pressure.

the packers are in good hands no matter what anyone says!
it's been a great run with favre and now it's time to move on

i for one amd glad that TT hired MM and am looking forward to packer football

GO PACK GO

mmmdk
08-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I was very impressed.
Professional.
Very strong, yet fair.

I agree 100%. I'm happy about the way McCarthy has handled it. He's no nonesense and sees right throw your barricades. I'm happy with the outcome.

Bretsky
08-06-2008, 08:08 AM

ABSOLUTELY

motife
08-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Grace under pressure.

are we going for the John Facenda award? :rs:

motife
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
don't forget "Rich Corinthian Leather".

http://barkbarkwoofwoof.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/640_1976ChryslerCordobaSportCoupe-728321.jpg

Spaulding
08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
In some shape or form I almost feel sorry for Brett in that it appears his family is very heavy handed. From his Brothers, to obviously his agent Bus and even his wife Deanna, they in many ways seem to be the driving factor to this whole fiasco.

I can already envision, TT and Favre discussion retirement and/or coming back and the conversation going okay with Brett being pretty laid back and not entirely sure what he wants. TT gets off the phone and thinks, well that wasn't too bad of a conversation so he thinks the dialog is good. Brett on the other hand gets off the phone and his family yelling in his ear that he's a HOF quarterback and that it's HIS job and he is the Packers. Brett's mind frame changes and next you know he's flat out pissed and feeling disrespected and/or not wanted.

Seriously, I understand family plays a stake in life decisions but it seems to me that much of this whole fiaso can be attributed not only to to TT and Brett but even more what should be Brett's support structure.

cpk1994
08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
don't forget "Rich Corinthian Leather".

http://barkbarkwoofwoof.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/640_1976ChryslerCordobaSportCoupe-728321.jpgNothing tops Ricardo Montalban. :)

mmmdk
08-06-2008, 11:41 AM

ABSOLUTELY

B, are you sying Brett would be playing for the Pack? I'm so not sure (if that's the case); that can of worms was bound to happen. I don't think MM would resemble Shermy and "buy" all the players Favre wanted - dance to the Favre-beat. No way! McCarthy would have traded Favre a LOOOONG time ago. TT built this team and Favre made TT fumble and drop the Favre-child on the floor - TT is a bad parent but a good GM. McCarthy is a darn good coach and a great teacher/parent; McCarthy could've handled the Favre-child accordingly and moved on all the same - just quicker.