PDA

View Full Version : GB Press Gazette Chat : Dylan Tomlinson

motife
06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Thanks for taking this question. I hear Brett keep saying that his arm isn't ready, and that he still needs to get it back in shape. Has this, (his arm not being ready) shown in his practices? Has he looked like he needs to improve? Thanks again.

Dylan Tomlinson: I've been at every one of Favre's Green Bay press conferences this off-season and I've never heard him say that. He looks fine in practice. He said he hasn't thrown during his off-season workouts at home, but that's typical. He usually starts throwing about three weeks before training camp begins.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: In your opinion, who do you think deserves to be the #2 receiver? Fergie? Gardner? Jennings? Thanks.

Dylan Tomlinson: Can I pick none of the above? Those of you who are regulars on this site know that I am not a Ferguson fan. Jennings has impressed, but I'd be pretty surprised if he's the No. 2 receiver when the season begins. I hope Gardner wins the job, but I don't know how confident I am that will happen. Fergie is the favorite by default, but I hope Gardner wins the job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard , Oshkosh, WI: With the way our free agents skipped the OTA's, are they very far behind in learning the defense? That sure doesn't show much dedication to a team after signing for big bucks.

Dylan Tomlinson: Well, to be fair, I don't know if there is a position that is easier to catch up in than at defensive tackle and defensive back. I agree though that Woodson and Pickett should be here. As far as Harris is concerned, I hope the Packers take care of him. He's deserved it and if they'll re-do Driver's contract, they should do the same thing for Harris.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: Dylan, from what you can tell is Bob Sanders running the same defense that jim Bates had

Dylan Tomlinson: A few tweaks here and there, but for the most part it's the same defense. That is a very good thing.

Richard , Oshkosh, WI: I've heard that we could have a very young Linebacking crew.

Dylan Tomlinson: If it's Barnett, Hawk and Hodge, that would be very, very young... It would still be a significant upgrade from a year ago though...

Matt, Bath, PA: Are the absences of Pickett, Harris and Woodson much to do about nothing?

Dylan Tomlinson: No. It's significant. Harris wants more money and while he likely won't hold out, he won't be happy if they don't re-do his deal. As far as the others, the Packers paid a great deal of money for Woodson and Pickett. What does it say that neither has shown up for a single day of organized team activities?

Richard , Oshkosh, WI: With the trade of Walker, why didn't we either trade for or pick up a better wide reciever?

Dylan Tomlinson: I still think the Packers need to add someone who can be the No. 2 receiver. There's great depth at the position, especially since the surprising emergence of Ruvell Martin, who has looked outstanding, but I would not feel too confident if I had to start the season with Robert Ferguson in the starting lineup. He's a No. 4 receiver on most teams.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Why does Harris get so little respect? I don't think he should be holding out because of his contract, but he has definitely earned a big payday. Last season he let in 1 TD! Only 1! Even Chad Johnson said he was the second best corner in the league, and he didn't even make it to the Pro Bowl! What is up?

Dylan Tomlinson: I'm not sure Harris should be in the Pro Bowl, but I think he's on the tier just below those guys. He's a great player and he's had a nearly impossible job the last two seasons because they've had no talent on the other side. The most amazing thing about the Harris deal is that Sherman actually negotiated a deal that was under market value. He pays ridiculous money for guys like Cletidus Hunt, KGB and Ferguson, but Harris gets a pretty crappy deal. I hope they re-do his deal. He deserves it.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Why are you so down on Ferguson? I know he hasn't lived up to some people's expectations, but do you really think he is a #4 receiver? He has at least shown some flashes, (2003 season.)

Dylan Tomlinson: I think he's all talk. We have to listen to him every year talk about how great he is and then he goes out and does almost nothing. He's not a total stiff, but I think No. 4 receiver is about right for him. Even Ron Wolf has joked about what a terrible pick he was. I have to agree...

Jobu, Madison: We seem to have about 100 receivers. Assuming 5 roster spots for WRs, who do you expect to make it?

Dylan Tomlinson: McCarthy has said he may keep six... 1. Driver 2. Ferguson 3. Gardner 4. Jennings 5. C. Rodgers 6. Ruvell Martin/Boerigter If Martin doesn't make this roster, it's a crime...

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: How good is the signing of Manuel? I haven't heard much about him, only that he is a projected starter. Do you think, given the chance, he can be an adequate starter? Thanks.

Dylan Tomlinson: It's a significant upgrade from Roman. I think Manuel will be a very nice addition for the Packers.

Andrew, Chicago: Dylan, speaking of the pro bowl why was Nick Barnett not selected the last 2 seasons? He has been our best player on D and has led this team in tackles the last 3 years. I know he was a pro bowl alternate 2 seasons ago but how does the NFL tackle leader not make the pro bowl?

Dylan Tomlinson: Barnett is a good player. He's not a Pro Bowler yet...

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: Dylan, When training camp starts what postions battles will you be keeping your eye on?

Dylan Tomlinson: Right guard, No. 2 receiver, running back. I think most of the other positions are pretty set...

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Who is the leading candidate, as of right now, to be the Pack's third starting LB? Thanks.

Dylan Tomlinson: That's a good question. I've seen good things from Taylor. Hodge may be in the mix.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Why did Ruvell Martin turn on the jets all of a sudden? I can't believe, (if he's as good as you're saying he is) that the Chargers didn't seem to think he was anything but average. Do you really think he could be something special?

Dylan Tomlinson: I'm not saying he's going to be a starter, but he's been the biggest surprise of the OTAs. He still is going to have a hard time making the team just because of pure numbers.

steve, mansfield,tx.: dylan: thanks for the chat. dont you thank to much is being made of the players missing the camps. as long as the packers have at least 90 some precent thats good. it also gives more work for others. your thoughts. thanks.

Dylan Tomlinson: I think they should be mandatory. If they're not, then what's the point? I think it is significant that they're not here. Attendance has been terrible. In past years we made a big deal when one or two guys skipped.

Andrew, Chicago: Dylan, I heard Ruvell Martin had a horrible day on Friday dropping more then 3 passes. Also, can you talk about our pass rush situation. How are the undrafted FA's looking and do you think there is anyone that will give us a much needed boost at pass rush curently on the roster?

Dylan Tomlinson: Receivers have bad days. There was some practice last week where Franks dropped at least that many. It happens... As far as the pass rush is concerned, the upgrade at DB could be significant. If Woodson and Harris can shut down opposing receivers it will take quarterbacks longer to get rid of the ball, thus resulting in more sacks...

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: I haven't heard anybody really talk about Chad Lucas that much. Sounds like he kind of dominated Europe, but he hasn't been mentioned as a player that could make it on the Packers' roster. Any idea why he hasn't been mentioned? Do you think he has a shot at the final roster? Thanks.

Dylan Tomlinson: Lucas just showed up on Friday and practiced for the first time today. Barring an injury, I would say he has a very slim chance to make the roster. He did very well in Europe. So did Craig Nall. It really doesn't mean that much.

Andrew, Chicago: Dylan, when will Thompson start signing the draft picks? Does John Jones surgery effect our ability to get these guys signed?

Dylan Tomlinson: You may see a couple guys sign in the next month. Most of them will sign the week before training camp begins or in the first week of training camp. Jones' surgery should have no effect on the signings. Thompson and Andrew Brandt do the majority of that work.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Any idea why Grady Jackson still hasn't been picked up? I'd think this late in the offseason that somebody would be willing to at least give him a chance in their camp, and if he doesn't fit, just let him loose. Is there even the smallest chance we might re-sign him? Thanks.

Dylan Tomlinson: I wonder if the Packers would sign Jackson for the minimum. I tend to think they wouldn't. Jackson did a great job for the Packers. Heck, he probably saved the 2003 season. He'll sign somewhere as soon as he lowers his price.

Ron Vale, Chicago: Dylan, of the rookies and second year players who is your favorite to talk to/interview and why? Thanks!

Dylan Tomlinson: Hawk is very polished for a rookie, but you kind of expect that when a player comes from Ohio State because that team is covered like a NFL team. I'm a huge fan of Aaron Rodgers. I think he's a great kid with a great future. Incredibly classy guy. Gado is also as good as they get.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Do you know how Craig Nall is doing in Buffalo? I know that Losman isn't doing so hot, and that Holcomb is very average, so could Nall be the starting QB for the Bills this season? I'd like to see him do well, after all the years he spent backing up Brett.

Dylan Tomlinson: There are some people who think Nall could start in Buffalo. I can't imagine him winning the job, but I wish him the best of luck. Craig was always a very classy guy, but I don't think he's a NFL starter.

Peter, Othello, WA: Dylan, You seem to discount Boerigter. Too slow? No intangibles? Iffy hands? Just another guy? What gives?

Dylan Tomlinson: He's looked good, but it's very crowded at WR.

Andrew, Chicago: Dylan, have you guys thought of doing an analysis of the Packers OTA's? I know Christl from jsonline does a blog that I enjoy reading after every OTA he attends. Packersnews does something like this but it is normally very short. Any chance you guys could start doing more analysis of these OTA and training camp when it arrives in July?

Dylan Tomlinson: I expect that will happen once training camp begins. I've been begging for a blog for some time now... We want to give you guys the best coverage we can...

Andrew, Chicago: Dylan, has Ruvell Martin looked better that Greg Jennings? Also, how did AJ look today? Any big plays?

Dylan Tomlinson: Jennings is a great talent. He will be a starter very soon. Martin has been a surprise, but he's not on Jennings' level.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Any idea why TT passed up Chad Jackson? Some had him slotted as a first round pick. Was it so he could acquire more draft picks, or was there something he didn't really like about Jackson? Thanks.

Dylan Tomlinson: There were a lot of teams who did not like Jackson. For all his speed, he never put up great numbers at Florida and that scared some teams off and that's why he fell so far.

Matt, Bath, PA: Thanks for taking my question Dylan. I was thinking about the trade of Javon Walker and more importantly: serious knee injuries to NFL WRs. Can you name any WRs who have come all the way back from a blown-out knee and been more explosive/effective than pre-injury? When Robert Brooks came back, he was productive but not nearly as good as he was in 1994. The only case people I have talked to seem to make is Jerry Rice. However, I think his knee injury removed him from the elite class of NFL WRs. Now considering that, I think the 37th overall pick for Javon Walker is pretty darn good value. Additionally, we got a better pick than what was given for Duante Culpepper and Steve McNair (two guys who have been a heck of a lot more valuable than Javon Walker to their teams). Your take?

Dylan Tomlinson: I agree. Walker will have a tough road ahead after the knee injury and that's why the Packers only got a no. 2 for him. If Walker returns to his 2004 Pro Bowl level, the Broncos got a steal. If he has lost a step, the Packers made a great trade. Time will tell...

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: Dylan, Do you think once the season starts that Aaron Rodgers will be seeing more playing time?

Dylan Tomlinson: I hope he does. If the Packers can actually win more games this year I hope Rodgers can get in and get some more experience. He should have played more last season, but Sherman wouldn't pull Favre even in blowouts.

Peter, Othello, WA: Quick follow up to that last Q. Is Hawk in town?

Dylan Tomlinson: Hawk is in town. I just wrote a big story on him for tomorrow's paper.

Matt, Bath, PA: Dylan, I think our success in 2006 will hinge on our offensive and defensive lines. I know it is early, but will we be able to field a respectible o-line this year? Will the Spitz/Colledge/Coston combo be better than the Klemm/Whitaker/Ruegamer cream-puff trio from last season? Will our d-line be able to pressure and take advantage of the short-comings of the Grossman's, Kitna's and Brad Johnson's of our division? I don't think its too much to ask to beat some of these retreads. However, we have made Charlie Batch and Joey Harrington look like All-Pro's in the past. Your take?

Dylan Tomlinson: I have faith in Jagodzinski's system, so I think they will be improved, but when you face the possibility of having two rookies at guard, you're going to experience some growing pains.

Dean Richard, Waukesha, WI: Hi Dylan. Not a game has been played, and we haven't even started training camp. Hardly time for panic, but there are a lot of notable no-shows for the OTA's. What's your first impression of McCarthy and the new coaching staff? What kind of start are they off to?

Dylan Tomlinson: I still think they should have hired Bates, but we'll see how McCarthy does. I like his staff, but we won't know much more about him until the season begins. I'm not sure he's off to a great start, but it's nothing a few early wins couldn't cure.

That's all we have time for tonight... If you have any other questions or just want to talk Packers, please feel free to email me at dtomlins@postcrescent.com Thanks for all the great questions.

Harlan Huckleby
06-13-2006, 07:28 PM
As far as Harris is concerned, I hope the Packers take care of him. He's deserved it and if they'll re-do Driver's contract, they should do the same thing for Harris.

I don't agree, Harris does not have same leverage as Driver.

But what a difference a year makes! Not only do we now hear the acronym "OTA" ten times an hour, but it's become mainstream to suggest that contracts ought to be redone midstream.

Last spring, it was pretty much just me, Drew Rosenhaus and Tex that thought Walker was worth a new contract. (well, actually about 25% of the fans.) My opinion is alway case-by-case: new contract ONLY if a player is far below market value AND is indispensible, such as with Donald Driver.

Harlan Huckleby
06-13-2006, 07:32 PM
As far as the others, the Packers paid a great deal of money for Woodson and Pickett. What does it say that neither has shown up for a single day of organized team activities?

It's friggin outrageous. New FA's ought to be there just to get to know people if nothing else. I'm no fan of the Volunteer system, but new people staying away defies common sense.

woodbuck27
06-13-2006, 08:47 PM
As far as the others, the Packers paid a great deal of money for Woodson and Pickett. What does it say that neither has shown up for a single day of organized team activities?

It's friggin outrageous. New FA's ought to be there just to get to know people if nothing else. I'm no fan of the Volunteer system, but new people staying away defies common sense.

I agree with you HH and will add this:

Woodson and Pickett are arguably the two top FA' pick - ups this off season and for them not to be at the OTA's is a total sham and an embarassment to TT and the Packers. The longer this goes on the worse it looks to me.

As far as Al Harris and a new contract. Acting as he is, by boycotting the VOLUNTARY OTA's and being a depended upon Vet. is not anything that makes a case for his claim of deserving more. What sort of message is he trying to send to the other players for OUR future? It's bogus and it's BS.

I believe I know what message TT will come back with.

Al Harris is not making any sense and he may claim that he doesn't want to risk any injury, but he plays in the same position on the opposite side of the field as Ahmad Carroll.

All three of these clowns are not setting any example that I want in a future Packer to admire. They are more than a disappointment.

Bretsky
06-14-2006, 12:26 AM
""Richard , Oshkosh, WI: With the trade of Walker, why didn't we either trade for or pick up a better wide reciever?

Dylan Tomlinson: I still think the Packers need to add someone who can be the No. 2 receiver. There's great depth at the position, especially since the surprising emergence of Ruvell Martin, who has looked outstanding, but I would not feel too confident if I had to start the season with Robert Ferguson in the starting lineup. He's a No. 4 receiver on most teams.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Why are you so down on Ferguson? I know he hasn't lived up to some people's expectations, but do you really think he is a #4 receiver? He has at least shown some flashes, (2003 season.)

Dylan Tomlinson: I think he's all talk. We have to listen to him every year talk about how great he is and then he goes out and does almost nothing. He's not a total stiff, but I think No. 4 receiver is about right for him. Even Ron Wolf has joked about what a terrible pick he was. I have to agree... ""

I'd just like to point out to all that I am NOT Dylan Tomlinson........although he seems to be trying to patent the thoughts I've had on Ferguson for the past two years now.

Fritz
06-14-2006, 06:24 AM
I was wondering if Dylan Tomlinson's nickname was Bretsky...

I think the response that was most interesting to me was Tomlinson's very lukewarm endorsement of MM. I wonder what he thinks would be better under Bates?

red
06-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Thanks for taking this question. I hear Brett keep saying that his arm isn't ready, and that he still needs to get it back in shape. Has this, (his arm not being ready) shown in his practices? Has he looked like he needs to improve? Thanks again.

Dylan Tomlinson: I've been at every one of Favre's Green Bay press conferences this off-season and I've never heard him say that. He looks fine in practice. He said he hasn't thrown during his off-season workouts at home, but that's typical. He usually starts throwing about three weeks before training camp begins.

brett said this clear as day in his interview last week. i heard it with my own two ears. he said he just started working out and throwing a few weeks ago, and said his arm wasn't in shape yet

Tony Oday
06-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Dylan Tomlinson: I still think they should have hired Bates.

I agree Though I like MM I think Bates should have been given the shot here!

Deputy Nutz
06-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Ruvell Martin looks great in OTAs. Damn thats great. I have an idea, before you make claims that he is going to make this team how about wait until training camp, then wait until the first preseason game, then wait until the last one. I hope he is as good as predicted because I like his size, but come on, these aren't even contact or padded practices. They are walk throughs and individual drills. In fact I am about sick of hearing about these OTAs all together, I am sick of hearing about who is there and who is not. In the whole scheme of things I don't think it is going to matter all that much.

RashanGary
06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Ruvell Martin looks great in OTAs. Damn thats great. I have an idea, before you make claims that he is going to make this team how about wait until training camp, then wait until the first preseason game, then wait until the last one. I hope he is as good as predicted because I like his size, but come on, these aren't even contact or padded practices. They are walk throughs and individual drills. In fact I am about sick of hearing about these OTAs all together, I am sick of hearing about who is there and who is not. In the whole scheme of things I don't think it is going to matter all that much.

Ruvell Martin looks skinny and weak. He is not going to be as good with pads on from what I've seen. Time will be the only teller, but he is very sure handed and coordinated with his body. He's the type of player you want playing in the red-zone but don't rely on too much between the 20's. That is just my opinion. I guess I like him better than Boerigter because IMO Boerigter brings nothing to the table. His hands are good but not great like Martin. He's big and had decent body control, but Martin seems to get better position. Boerigter is thicker and could stand the pounding better, but I think Martin has a real knack for catching the ball in tight spaces and would be a far more uselfull #6 WR because he brings something unique to the table. The tallest WR we have assuming Boerigter doesn't make it is Gardner and Ferg...Not exactly Randy Moss and Javon Walker.

I personally can't stand Boerigter. He's stiff and below average at everything he does. YUCK.....Just a guy is all he is. He's the anti Antonio Chatman because he brings the opposite to the table, but he's equally mediocre at what he does. I really hope he does not make the team. I dislike Boerigter as much as Wist dislikes Barnett. Maybe even more.

Green Bud Packer
06-14-2006, 01:22 PM
They are walk throughs and individual drills. In fact I am about sick of hearing about these OTAs all together, I am sick of hearing about who is there and who is not. In the whole scheme of things I don't think it is going to matter all that much. Amen!