PDA

View Full Version : DC Bob Sanders on Hawk's preparation, Jason Wilde

motife
06-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Packers: School's out for Hawk

JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
June 13, 2006

GREEN BAY - A.J. Hawk couldn't help but feel a little bit like the kid who's grounded and has to stay in the house doing his homework while all of his buddies play outside.

While the rookie linebacker's new Green Bay Packers teammates went through a second minicamp in late May and seven organized team activity practices, Hawk was back at Ohio State, finishing his degree in criminology and missing out on his chosen vocation: Football.

"It felt like I was back in Ohio forever. These guys were here practicing and I was stuck in school," the Packers' first-round draft pick said Monday after going through his first OTA practice. "I just kept thinking that once I'm done, I'm done."

While a few NFL players wait until after their rookie season to finish up their schooling, Hawk said he didn't want to have to go back. In fact, Hawk was in such a hurry to get back to work that he didn't walk in the Ohio State graduation ceremony Sunday, instead driving to Green Bay on Friday night and spending the weekend with the coaches trying to get caught up. Hawk said he had his mother's blessing to skip the ceremony.

"She said she didn't want to sit out there in the hot sun all day and watch 5,000 people graduate," Hawk said. "It was fine by me."

NFL rules prohibit rookies from participating in voluntary minicamps and OTA practices until their schools are no longer in session, even if they aren't attending classes. For most players, school lets out in mid-May and it's a non-issue.

But with Ohio State on the quarters system, Hawk wouldn't have been allowed to practice even if he hadn't been finishing up his coursework, which consisted of one five-credit sociology theory class.

While he was back in Columbus, Hawk worked out with the current Buckeyes players and fellow first-round draft pick Bobby Carpenter, a linebacker drafted by Dallas. He also had a DVD of the second minicamp sent to him by Packers linebackers coach Winston Moss and had to break down every play on the disc.

"But there's nothing like getting some live reps against the offense," Hawk said.

That's what Hawk got Monday, working with the No. 1 defense at his customary will (weak-side) linebacker spot. According to defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, Hawk actually wasn't too far behind his teammates because the defense had spent the second minicamp reviewing what was installed during the post-draft minicamp.

During the OTAs, Sanders said there was more review, followed by further installations of the sub packages (nickel and dime alignments) and what Sanders calls "tough territory" situations - red zone and goal line. Hawk is expected to be one of the two linebackers in the nickel defense, alongside Nick Barnett, and was exposed to the nickel during the first minicamp.

"It's just one practice, but as far as remembering everything, he did a nice job. (He was) a little rusty on his techniques, which is understandable," Sanders said. "He'd done a good job of staying on top of what he had before."

Hawk shouldn't have much trouble catching up and settling in. He already bought and moved into a house here - in the same golf course community as Packers vice president of player finance Andrew Brandt - and he and his fianc e, Laura Quinn, are in the process of furnishing it. Quinn is also enrolled in summer classes at UW-Green Bay as she completes her work toward a communications degree.

"I wanted to get up here and be here for good. I don't plan on going home much," Hawk said. "I came up here to play football, and that's what I get to do now. I don't have to worry about writing papers. It's all football."

Noodle
06-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Looks like M3's ass whipping had the intended effect -- a total suck-up piece from (formerly) Wilde man.

Just jacking around. Great to hear they plan to keep him on the field in Nickel. Like everyone else, I love this kid's attitude and look forward to his having a great career here.

One thought -- given the emphasis on football at OSU, I wonder if there is some reconsideration being given to the schedule to accommodate getting the guys out earlier so they can report. I bet Alvarez wouldn't stand for that crap.