PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's Consistent Undertones (?) About Brett Favre

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I read the transcript a couple of times, and man, there's something going on. I mean, we all know Favre is an emotional guy, and we all know McCarthj is trying hard not to speak for Brett Favre, but still, did anybody else think it was a bit eerie how McCarthy keeps making references to Favre's emotional state?

Yes, it's an emotional situation. I'm not saying Favre shouldn't be emotional. It's not that. It's that MM came off - to me - implying that Favre over-the-edge-emotional, even by Favre standards. He kept making statements like 'he's got a lot on his mind' and the like.

Again, not that Favre shouldn't be, or that MM shouldn't mention it. But the sheer number of times, and the way he phrased things, makes me wonder if there's something else going on besides the fact that the guy feels unloved by the Packers.

Anybody else get a sniff of this, or no?

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I didn't read it like that. I read it like: Favre hates Ted Thompson, justly or not, and can't seem to get over it. His ego is bruised, and he's bitter.

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I read the transcript a couple of times, and man, there's something going on. I mean, we all know Favre is an emotional guy, and we all know McCarthj is trying hard not to speak for Brett Favre, but still, did anybody else think it was a bit eerie how McCarthy keeps making references to Favre's emotional state?

Yes, it's an emotional situation. I'm not saying Favre shouldn't be emotional. It's not that. It's that MM came off - to me - implying that Favre over-the-edge-emotional, even by Favre standards. He kept making statements like 'he's got a lot on his mind' and the like.

Again, not that Favre shouldn't be, or that MM shouldn't mention it. But the sheer number of times, and the way he phrased things, makes me wonder if there's something else going on besides the fact that the guy feels unloved by the Packers.

MM only convinced me even more that there is a lot we do not know regarding the relationship between Favre and TT; here comes all of the cult references :roll:

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 10:11 PM

I was down with that interpretation as well; it doesn't hurt that I've felt this way for some time

Fosco33
08-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I can see Favre not taking the $20M - yet.

When TT is gone from GB - maybe Brett makes a call or two (years from now).

If Favre fades away (I don't see him in a coach or announcer role), I don't think we'll hear from him for awhile... but I do think he wants one last 'F U' to Ted and will probably go back to some individual interview.

As much as I want to hear about their story - I don't. I hope Brett sleeps on it and decides enough is enough... Part of me thinks that Deanna and Bus influence Brett (and his ego) more that we thought.

A guy needs to be a bit obsessed to be a star QB in the NFL (much less a HOFer and stats leader) -- but it seems someone had to end it.

I'm disappointed this kind of discussion didn't happen 6 weeks ago - and I think M3 is an idiot for not having the discussion b/c he was thinking that Brett was 'just emotional' and 'never thought he'd play'.

M3 needs a communications lesson (and learn some synonyms).

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Well, yeah, Harv and Bretsky, I agree with both of you, but the emphasis on it suggests to me that MM saw that intensity as almost bizarre. Over the top. Like the dude's looking over the edge.

You can dislike your boss, you can be angry at how you are treated. That's not too weird. You can get really pissed and feel unappreciated and spat upon.

Yete MM's comments suggest that it's gotten even weirder than that. Like TT -better -hope -he -doesn't -wake -up -with -a -horse's -head- in -his -bed -or -a -pet -rabbit -boiling -on- the- stove kind of comments.

RIPackerFan
08-05-2008, 10:23 PM
So, in my mind - does revenge play such a part in Favre's mind - that wherever he goes, he dedicates himself even more, just to show TT that he made the wrong decision?

Fosco33
08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
So, in my mind - does revenge play such a part in Favre's mind - that wherever he goes, he dedicates himself even more, just to show TT that he made the wrong decision?
Yes.

Who here isn't more motivated when someone says, "Bet you can't."

Anyone with a competive bone in their body will lay it out there - 100%.

I do think TT made the wrong call(s). And apparently M3 doesn't know Brett's 'itch' turned to a 'scratch' turned to a fricken 'rash'... :?:

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Naw. I think he starts collecting info and pictures of TT and hangs all of it up all over some creepy little crawl space in his house and becomes completely obsessed with TT. Even starts dressing like him. He plots TT's every movement and becomes so distracted he quits his new team so he can focus all his energies on his obsession. Deanna finds out and freaks out. The kids beg him to go to therapy, but no, he's fine. Eventually he loses his fortune and his family due to his sick stalking. He terrorizes lonely TT, and in the end they realize they are both lonely, sick men.

It's kinda like Batman and the Joker.

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I'll be the first one to buy his new book seven years from now

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Bretsky, if Favre is traded, are you going to change your screen name to "Aaronsky"?

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Bretsky, if Favre is traded, are you going to change your screen name to "Aaronsky"?

Ah, kind of funny you bring that up. Believe it or not "Bretsky" has absolutely nothing to do with Brett Favre.

My first name is Brett; back when I played a lot of sports and softball tournaments (when I was in shape before the ACL tear) Bretsky was my nickname given to me from teammates.

You have to get your ass to the poster game so we can have a brew and theorize all the secrets this fiasco has kept from us :lol:

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
When is it again? Maybe I can scrape up the cash; I'd love to hear your theories.

And The Shadow and I can talk about the dark side of Bart Starr.

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 10:45 PM
When is it again? Maybe I can scrape up the cash; I'd love to hear your theories.

And The Shadow and I can talk about the dark side of Bart Starr.

I think it's 10/5

Packers4Ever
08-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Again, not that Favre shouldn't be, or that MM shouldn't mention it. But the sheer number of times, and the way he phrased things, makes me wonder if there's something else going on besides the fact that the guy feels unloved by the Packer

MM only convinced me even more that there is a lot we do not know regarding the relationship between Favre and TT; here comes all of the cult references :roll:

I've definitely had the same feeling all day, like Coach was talking but
holding back, not telling the whole story. He seemed uncomfortable just relating their "talks." I've always read that Brett and MM had a pretty good relationship (let's face it, MM was more approachable and easier to talk to - didn't take us long to see that) He mentioned that their conversation today was sometimes "brutal" - which led me to believe Brett let it all hang out and got upset all over again. Had to have a lot to do with not feeling "wanted" by the upper level crowd.

What also bothers me is the fact that the whole NFL is aware for ages that Brett would possibly be up for grabs - but no 'takers' yet? It's Brett Favre for pete's sake, what are they waiting for, a want ad in the paper?

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I find McCarthy's lack of faith, disturbing.

This is nothing but old Commie Soviet Union BS. Call someone you don't like mentally deranged.

Obviously McCarthy is one of the conspirators that does not want Brett Favre, the MVP runner up again last year, as a Green Bay Packer.

They are not living up to their word of having an open competition.

Why won't they let Brett on the practice field??

Abdominal strain or mental illness?? Why is he on the PUP? Yesterday they said he passed his physical.

Joemailman
08-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Actually, Favre's remarks and MM's press conference seemed to be in agreement. Things were said since March which made Favre bitter towards the organization. He just couldn't get over that hurdle.

Sparkey
08-05-2008, 11:04 PM

This is nothing but old Commie Soviet Union BS. Call someone you don't like mentally deranged.

Obviously McCarthy is one of the conspirators that does not want Brett Favre, the MVP runner up again last year, as a Green Bay Packer.

Abdominal strain or mental illness?? Why is he on the PUP? Yesterday they said he passed his physical.

I believe that MM thinks that Brett is unable to "let it go" and that if he is still dwelling on what happened months ago, then he would be unable to focus on the hear and now. Sort of like when a man or women gets overly upset about a perceived slight in a relationship and instead of letting it go after a period of time, continually dwells on it and makes it into more and more.

If that is the case, you can not let him practice with the rest of the team, because his thoughts will slowly divide the team and take focus off the teams one goal.

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 11:09 PM

Cali... It was FAVRE'S decision not to enter a competition. Both Favre and McCarthy have said that. They are in complete agreement. Why do you think they are both lying?

texaspackerbacker
08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
I think what the "undertones" are all about is the fact that Brett is becoming increasingly pathetic in this mess. I have spoken for a long time about the evil influence of the media in this whole matter, and I don't really back down from that. What I see now, though, is his entourage/family/whatever pushing and pulling him in a bunch of different directions at the same time. I'm not sure how much "family" he brought along to Green Bay, but bringing any more than maybe his wife seems a little bit weird--like the parasites are having undue and counter-productive influence on him.

I really think Brett, if left alone, would have been perfectly content to stay down on the farm/would have been perfectly content to sit as a backup/insurance policy for the Packers/would have been perfectly content to take the $25 million and re-retire with a degree of dignity.

But no. Here he is frittering away the legacy of love and respect he had with Wisconsinites--and for what? For a battle he is doomed to lose, as the Packers hold the high card--the ability to basically pay him to sit.

Bretsky
08-06-2008, 12:03 AM
STUFF HAS BEEN SAID, STORIES PLANTED, THAT JUST ARE NOT TRUE

Dang I sure wish I knew that Favre means in that quote

Guiness
08-06-2008, 12:34 AM
[snip]

I've felt that way for a while. I don't buy the whole 'diva' thing...I think NO ONE left it all out on the field the way Favre did, and I think he's letting it all hang out here too. He poured everything he possibly could, and more, into this team (and yes, I know he was well compensated) and simply can't understand a business decision, and feels like he's getting kicked to the curb. And it hurts him a lot.

boiga
08-06-2008, 12:37 AM

Dang I sure wish I knew that Favre means in that quote Well, from the list I remember:

1. Favre was pissed about the late march unretire/stay retired story. According to him, all he was doing was thinking out loud to Campen. M3 and Ted were flying to a conference and told him that they could stop by on the way to talk about unretiring. Favre told them that they didn't have to because he was still retired.

The way he views this, that wasn't a waffle and to have it portrayed as such in the media was insulting.

2. The Packers owned cell phone. Favre was pissed that Ted didn't quash this rumor. Sure Ted didn't start it, but the official statement that there was no phone took a week to circulate and he felt the delay was meant to embarrass him.

3. The vikings tampering charges. Favre told them the vikes didn't tamper. They didn't believe him and called in the League office.

I think that's it honestly. The packers didn't release anything else to embarrass Favre as he was doing a good enough job on his own.

bobblehead
08-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes.

Who here isn't more motivated when someone says, "Bet you can't."

Anyone with a competive bone in their body will lay it out there - 100%.

I do think TT made the wrong call(s). And apparently M3 doesn't know Brett's 'itch' turned to a 'scratch' turned to a fricken 'rash'... :?:

I disagree...its easy to be pissed and motivated to stick it to TT on sunday...but will that fire burn while he is spending hours analyzing a game plan and studying film...I think not.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 12:45 AM

give it up. Favre has no great revelations, or he would have spoken-up a long time ago. He was already grasping at straws during his Gretta primal scream session. There's no there there.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2008, 01:49 AM

Personally, I think Favre was paranoid, and looking for any reason not to trust Thompson. He hasn't liked him for awhile--because Thompson didn't get him his precious Randy. The cellphone thing was a story concocted by the media. They were speculating that must be how Green Bay had evidence. Thompson refuted that in his first press conference after the information was "leaked." Since when does Thompson go to the public to refute every rumor out there? I don't believe Favre when he says he didn't say he was coming back in late March. He even said he at least told them he was thinking about coming back. WTF? Did he want them to beg him to come back? I don't believe him when he said Thompson was "shaken" and that Thompson said he'd be fired if Favre sought reinstatement. That was said just to embarrass Thompson. I think he saw ghosts that weren't there. At least, information wasn't leaked that made Favre look like a dickweed (like Favre's camp leaked about Thompson). Favre made himself look like a dickweed in the Greta interview.

cpk1994
08-06-2008, 06:29 AM

And The Shadow and I can talk about the dark side of Bart Starr.There is nothing quite like the football wisdom of Fritz. You should write a book.

HowardRoark
08-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Naw. I think he starts collecting info and pictures of TT and hangs all of it up all over some creepy little crawl space in his house and becomes completely obsessed with TT. Even starts dressing like him. He plots TT's every movement and becomes so distracted he quits his new team so he can focus all his energies on his obsession. Deanna finds out and freaks out. The kids beg him to go to therapy, but no, he's fine. Eventually he loses his fortune and his family due to his sick stalking. He terrorizes lonely TT, and in the end they realize they are both lonely, sick men.

It's kinda like Batman and the Joker.

Two points:

1. McCarthy tends to focus on a word and repeats it over and over again. Notice how often he uses the word “football.” Favre is clearly an emotional guy, but there is precedent with McCarthy and overuse of a words.

2. This whole Joker thing is spot on. I saw the movie the other night and couldn’t help noticing the parallels.

The overall theme was that the Joker was unstoppable because he had no motivation except for chaos. He wanted mayhem for mayhems sake; needed to be the center of attention. He had a helicopter following his vehicle. He sat on a pile of money; and then burned it. He turned friends against each other. He caused trouble with his cell phone.

Batman and the Joker “completed each other.”

Fritz
08-06-2008, 07:16 AM

Dang I sure wish I knew that Favre means in that quote Well, from the list I remember:

1. Favre was pissed about the late march unretire/stay retired story. According to him, all he was doing was thinking out loud to Campen. M3 and Ted were flying to a conference and told him that they could stop by on the way to talk about unretiring. Favre told them that they didn't have to because he was still retired.

The way he views this, that wasn't a waffle and to have it portrayed as such in the media was insulting.

2. The Packers owned cell phone. Favre was pissed that Ted didn't quash this rumor. Sure Ted didn't start it, but the official statement that there was no phone took a week to circulate and he felt the delay was meant to embarrass him.

3. The vikings tampering charges. Favre told them the vikes didn't tamper. They didn't believe him and called in the League office.

I think that's it honestly. The packers didn't release anything else to embarrass Favre as he was doing a good enough job on his own.

Bretsky, I think Boiga's done a nice job of detailing the laundry list of complaints. A couple of observations about this, though:

1. I'm not really so sure TT "planted" any stories - particularly the whole (Brett's unretiring and we're flying down" thing. I think what happens in the re-telling of what happened to the media is that the media takes what's been said and reduces it to its lowest common denominator. The media is simply flat-out bad (perhaps because it's not in their best interest) at telling a complicated story (see any reporting on the middle east). Now, I could be wrong if someone has TT's actual words on what happened about that incident. But my sense is that TT relayed the story, perhaps giving it differently than Favre, which is far different than "planting" a made-up version (ask five people in a room what happened in the last two minutes and you'll get five versions). But the story the media printed is far more dramatic than "Brett was thinking out loud, TT and MM offered to come down to talk about it, and he didn't want them to go out of their way because he wasn't sure how serious he was." So, like TexasPackerBacker, I think the media has really infused this whole thing with stories that are not true, but somehow Favre seems still naive enough to believe it all. And if you want another example of how the media exploits people's words, on my comcast site this morning the sports headline is "McCarthy Slams Favre." McCarthy slams Favre? If you read the transcript of that interview or listened to it there's just no way you can come to that conclusion. Yet that's the headline, and the bastards get away with it. And the weird part is, it appears that Favre might look at that headline, and even though he probably saw the interview with MM, he might be hurt by the headline and come to think he was being slammed. I don't know. He just seems to be unduly influenced by the media, perhaps because he and his family tries to use it.

2. Having said that, I think there is a kind of darker side to TT. I've supported him as GM all along and I think up until this mess he's done an excellent job. However, I recognize personality traits that I myself used to have - and they are not good. Let me explain. I suspect that TT really, really doesn't like open confrontation (as opposed to MM, who seems able to deal with it). So one of the things a person like that does is to tell people what they want to hear instead of telling the truth as that person sees it. The other behavior is to just not say much of anything at all. So I believe (just my theory) that when Favre asked Thompson about, for example, interviewing Mooch, TT probably gave some vague idea that he'd call Mooch. Of course Favre took this as a yes, but in TT's mind he only promised he'd call. So he can tell himself he's not lying, and in a very narrow way he's not. But he's not being quite straight-up. So TT does what he said he'd do - he calls Mooch - but of course it's after he's hired MM. So Favre is pissed and TT tries to point to the fact he only said he'd call, which he did.

So it's not this scheming, deliberate lying that so many posters seem to feel is behind it. It's a person who to feel good about the relationship, so he tells them what he thinks they want to hear, but in a way that can be vague and maddening and not entirely untrue. Ironically, however, in the end nobody's happy, and - the lesson I learned - it is a lot better to just tell the truth, and after the initial hurt and anger, people are okay with it.

So that's my big Ted Thompson personality flaw theory.

HowardRoark
08-06-2008, 07:29 AM
So that's my big Ted Thompson personality flaw theory.

That, and the fact that he has not had to deal with a woman in his life. Talk about steel being forged in a crucible.

You learn that being stubborn does not always make you the "winner."

RashanGary
08-06-2008, 07:29 AM
I think the problem with Favre is he's looking everywhere but himself for blame. Until he looks in the mirror he's going to be a very bitter, irrational man.

Fritz
08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
As we all would be.

I think there's blame enough for everyone.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 03:06 PM
As we all would be.

I think there's blame enough for everyone.

And you certainly have plenty to answer for, Fritz.