PDA

View Full Version : Can Favre Ever Rehabilitate His Image?

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Maybe, in time, when memories fade strictly to plays made on the field.
Personally, I will never be able to hear his name without remembering #4 unmasked.

I think some folks do well to never let us know too much about them.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Yes.

Lurker64
08-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I definitely doubt I will ever hold Favre in as high esteem now as I did, say, after the Seahawks game this year. I'll hold less antipathy for him eventually, but I believe that this debacle isn't going to go away for Favre.

GrnBay007
08-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Unmasked? :roll:

Let it go Shadow...your hatred is getting creepy.

Bretsky
08-05-2008, 10:14 PM
yes

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Of course he will. There's no question about it. But it will take more time for some than it will for others. Either way, he's a lock for the Hall 5 years after his retirement, and after that all most football fans will remember are the special things he was able to do on a football field.

Joemailman
08-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Personally, I will never be able to hear his name without remembering #4 unmasked.

You're right. The less we know about you, the better.

BallHawk
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
99% of it.

He can't make this go away, pretend it never happened. But as long as he doesn't burn any more bridges throughout his life he'll still be remembered as one of the greatest Packers ever.

RIPackerFan
08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Yes.

gex
08-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Yes, but not to a crypt keeper like yourself. :D

Lurker64
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
To those of you saying "yes" are you saying:

"I believe Brett can become a beloved public figure again"

or

"I believe that everyone will forget that this ever happened and they will think as highly of Brett in retrospect as they ever did."

Since I believe sincerely that eventually, I will think highly of Brett again but I doubt that I don't doubt that this debacle will continue to tarnish his image at least a little, especially when you view it in light of the "Retirement(Y/N)" saga of the last 5-6 years or so. There is no doubt that Favre will go down as a brilliant QB on the field, but the off-field stuff has to damage the legend at least a little.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 10:27 PM

Yes, but not to a crypt keeper like yourself. :D

Donkeys live a long time......

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Oh, come on. Of course everyone'll get over it. No one will even remember any of this in thirty years - they'll just remember the great QB of the Green Bay Packers.

Hell, nobody even remembers all of Bart Starr's arrests and drug and alcohol addictions, or that time he got caught with that donkey in that barn in Waupaca.

After a couple of years, it all just fades away.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh, come on. Of course everyone'll get over it. No one will even remember any of this in thirty years - they'll just remember the great QB of the Green Bay Packers.

Hell, nobody even remembers all of Bart Starr's arrests and drug and alcohol addictions, or that time he got caught with that donkey in that barn in Waupaca.
After a couple of years, it all just fades away.

I'll never forget our magical night! Oh, Bart!

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Shadow, I think we just re-wrote history for all of our young posters.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Shadow, I think we just re-wrote history for all of our young posters.

Some of their 'history' seems to reach way back about an astonishing 3 years or so.

Fritz
08-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Think of the power that gives us. We can mold their young minds...

Lindy Infante was a great coach, but Forrest Gregg was even better.

Paul Hornung was a running back AND a placekicker (they'll never believe that one!)

None of Vince Lombardi's teams ever lost a game after 1960.

Terdell Middleton was the greatest running back ever to don a Packer uniform.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2008, 10:46 PM
To those of you saying "yes" are you saying:

"I believe Brett can become a beloved public figure again"

or

"I believe that everyone will forget that this ever happened and they will think as highly of Brett in retrospect as they ever did."

For me, both.

gbgary
08-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Can Favre Ever Rehabilitate His Image?

with who? a handfull of people on this board? i think the vast majority of the country (who isn't bored to tears with this fiasco by now) feel he's the victim. his image as a happy-go-lucky, country good-old-boy, that had fun playing and still wants to, hasn't been diminished at all. if anything it's been enhanced. it's not like he's hanging the club out to dry by holding out for more money. he's having a difficult time, at a turning point in his life, that we'll all have to face sometime. he's had his feelings hurt. who can't relate to that?

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Think of the power that gives us. We can mold their young minds...

Lindy Infante was a great coach, but Forrest Gregg was even better.

Paul Hornung was a running back AND a placekicker (they'll never believe that one!)

None of Vince Lombardi's teams ever lost a game after 1960.

Terdell Middleton was the greatest running back ever to don a Packer uniform.

Don't forget the part where we were actually teammates on the 61 team, and doubleteamed Sam Huff to clear the way for Taylor.

pacfan
08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Not only will this drama become forgotten, but Farve will eventually be restored to the greatness he was. Maybe some of the old-timers here remember when Lombardi left for Washington. He was got bad press, but look at his image now.

Not that I want Brett meeting Vince anytime soon.

This bullshit will fade, to many good stories; the oakland game, 5 TDs against Chicago with a bum ankle, the MNF game against Minnesota, The Detroit bomb, the list is long and will be remembered.

Can't wait for the Favre tell-all book, tho. TT, M3, and probably Murph will get flamed.

gex
08-05-2008, 10:57 PM

with who? a handfull of people on this board? i think the vast majority of the country (who isn't bored to tears with this fiasco by now) feel he's the victim. his image as a happy-go-lucky, country good-old-boy, that had fun playing and still wants to, hasn't been diminished at all. if anything it's been enhanced. it's not like he's hanging the club out to dry by holding out for more money. he's having a difficult time, at a turning point in his life, that we'll all have to face sometime. he's had his feelings hurt. who can't relate to that?

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

gex
08-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Not only will this drama become forgotten, but Favre will eventually be restored to the greatness he was. Maybe some of the old-timers here remember when Lombardi left for Washington. He was got bad press, but look at his image now.

Not that I want Brett meeting Vince anytime soon.

This bullshit will fade, to many good stories; the oakland game, 5 TDs against Chicago with a bum ankle, the MNF game against Minnesota, The Detroit bomb, the list is long and will be remembered.

Can't wait for the Favre tell-all book, tho. TT, M3, and probably Murph will get flamed.

Yes, history will remember Favre for what he did on the field, and tt will just be a side note as the guy that pushed him away.

The Shadow
08-05-2008, 11:01 PM

Richard Speck was a happy-go-lucky ole country boy who also jes' wanted to play.
His deeds didn't 'enhance' his image.

(Anybody old enough to remember him?)

gbgary
08-05-2008, 11:02 PM

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/smiles/icon_thank.gif

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Favre has seen a sharp decline in his favorability among many Wisconsinites, a new survey shows. Only 47 percent had a favorable view of Favre, while 34 percent had an unfavorable view. The survey of 600 people likely to vote in the November presidential election was conducted Sunday and Monday by the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percent. In a survey last December, 73 percent of the people in Wisconsin had a favorable view of Favre and 7 percent had an unfavorable view.

If he goes anywhere but Chicago or Minnesota, he can turn this around.

Zool
08-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Favre has seen a sharp decline in his favorability among many Wisconsinites, a new survey shows. Only 47 percent had a favorable view of Favre, while 34 percent had an unfavorable view. The survey of 600 people likely to vote in the November presidential election was conducted Sunday and Monday by the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percent. In a survey last December, 73 percent of the people in Wisconsin had a favorable view of Favre and 7 percent had an unfavorable view.

If he goes anywhere but Chicago or Minnesota, he can turn this around.

Good point Harv. If he forces his way to MN, I'll lose a ton of respect for him. As it sits, this is a blip that will be forgotten before too long. Assuming he goes into the HOF as a Packer that is.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Guess it's not such a silent, vocal minority.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/05/poll-shows-support-for-franchise.aspx

Kind of interesting to read about the results in Green Bay. I would have guessed he had his strongest support there.

Survey respondents were asked this question in relation to Favre: "Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of him?"

For those who had a favorable view of Favre, his strongest support came from Milwaukee's suburbs (54%) and Waukesha (56%).

Favorable views of Favre were weakest in Green Bay (31%). In December, 82% of those surveyed in the Green Bay area had a favorable view of him.

th87
08-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Nobody's going to remember this.

It's like Jordan's falling out with Krause, or his dismissal from the Wizards.