PDA

View Full Version : Honest Question

Chevelle2
08-05-2008, 11:18 PM
A relative of mine, who doesn't know that much about football, asked me "So, why does he want to go to MN?"

And I replied: "Well, he doesn't like Packer management and wants to stick it to TT"

My relative: "Why doesnt he like TT?"

And I really had no answer. So I came to packerrats.

Why?

TT has built a winning team, has he not?

Is it really because of the 3 things Favre said to Greta? Although 2 of those 3 turned out to be good moves in the end...

I mean, Im seriously struggling with this...TT has put a sick team around BF.....why does he hate him?

VegasPackFan
08-05-2008, 11:23 PM
TT drafted a QB in the first round in his first draft.

Zool
08-05-2008, 11:25 PM
According to "the interview" (trademarked) he felt lied to in the Moss situation and the Wahle/Rivera situation.

VegasPackFan
08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
According to "the interview" (trademarked) he felt lied to in the Moss situation and the Wahle/Rivera situation.

So in other words, Favre was pissed that he was not at least given assistant GM power of some sort.

Like the OP says, TT's moves all worked out for the best of the team and they have been winning.

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
A relative of mine, who doesn't know that much about football, asked me "So, why does he want to go to MN?"

And I replied: "Well, he doesn't like Packer management and wants to stick it to TT"

My relative: "Why doesnt he like TT?"

And I really had no answer. So I came to packerrats.

Why?

Is it really because of the 3 things Favre said to Greta? Although 2 of those 3 turned out to be good moves in the end...

I mean, Im seriously struggling with this...TT has put a sick team around BF.....why does he hate him?

I don't think any of us will ever know for sure, but I'm guessing it was ego's on both sides. Favre thought it was his team, so he should decide the best way to win and get whatever he thinks he needs to do so. Thompson (and to be honest, the rest of the Packers front office as well) bluntly told him that it was not his team and that TT would decide which way this team was going to go. Yes, the Packers finished 13-3 last year, but it wasn't the way Favre would have liked to do it.

Then came this offseason, which was the biggest and most decisive blow to Favre. I don't doubt there were things said on both sides that weren't entirely true. The tipping point to me was when the Favre camp came out saying that Favre felt unwanted because nobody asked him to come back. I didn't think people had to beg you to come out of retirement if that's what you wanted to do anyway, and that's where my opinion on Favre's character had changed.

It wasn't about the Packers anymore. The team first image I had portrayed of Favre had changed. It was now a Favre first image. And I'm certain that I am not the only one, certainly some in Packers management did too. So I'm sure there was a little beef there, which when added to Favre's displeasure with TT's personel moves and bickering at each other over the next couple weeks blew up into a full blown epic saga.

I think it all started with TT coming in and taking control of his team, possibly stepping on Favre's toes a bit in the process, and evolved into a distrust of one another.

Jimx29
08-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I seriously doubt the last year we would of came anywhere near 13-3 and in the NFC championship game if Brett wasn't there. And this year with rogers, i would guess 8-8 at best. 7-9 more likely, so how good of a team has he built? Average at best

Gunakor
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I seriously doubt the last year we would of came anywhere near 13-3 and in the NFC championship game if Brett wasn't there. And this year with rogers, i would guess 8-8 at best. 7-9 more likely, so how good of a team has he built? Average at best

What makes you believe that? Is our defense that bad? Did they cut Ryan Grant? Did our WR's go on strike?

Seriously Numb, we'll be fine. It will probably be rocky at first, no doubt, but in the end this is still a good football team and they'll get the job done.

texaspackerbacker
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Thompson clearly did NOT do what many in this forum--and apparently Favre himself--wanted: to make the supreme short term effort to win in Favre's last few seasons. Thompson was, however, so successful with his youth movement/slight rebuilding program/whatever it could be called, that the Packers won anyway, and that Favre had the talent around him to play great himself.

Arguably, Thompson got a little bit lucky--with Grant and Jennings, and to a lesser extent, some others coming through beyond expectations.

If Favre has a rational reason to hate or whatever Thompson, it is that--the lack of a full commitment to building things up for the short term--the Favre years.

VegasPackFan
08-05-2008, 11:54 PM

This doesnt make sense to me. I recall the first few games of the season we were winning with virtually no offense. It was defense, special teams play that kept us in those first few games.

I'm sorry, but one player does not make a 5 game difference.

Partial
08-05-2008, 11:55 PM
TT has done a good job up until this massive blunder. This knocks him down a peg or two imo.

He could have done better and made the Moss deal happen, but he didn't nor did 30 other GMs. Can't fault him too much for that, but at the same time you have to wonder why he didn't pull the trigger for a 3rd if he was intrigued enough to get in the game in the first place.

The Shadow
08-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Favre finally met his match with a guy who refused to compromise the welfare of the team for a star quarterback.
Favre picked the wrong guy to mess with.
Bye, Brett.

bobblehead
08-06-2008, 12:17 AM

bookmarking this for future bumping and humiliation.

bobblehead
08-06-2008, 12:23 AM
To answer the original question, TT and MM told favre to show up for offseason activities and put in the time necessary to properly execute the gameplan. Brett had gotten into the habit of going thru the motions, showing up on sunday and tossing a few picks. His greatness was fading.

MM got him in line, turned him great again and BF didn't like it....although I'm pretty confused as to why he wasn't kissing MM's feet after realizing he was damn near an MVP again.

Way back when I started to realize what was going on I was posting on the JSonline site about how this MM really seemed to get it and has gotten brett back to being brett....I even speculated it had gotten pretty ugly behind closed doors that first year. MM constantly praised brett in public, but it was kinda obvious tension was there. I really believed brett got past that this last year by the fact he was absolutely stellar. I believed he would come back, be focused, controlled and we would win the super bowl.....then he fucking retired!!! Obviously the tension never actually abated.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 12:55 AM
who cares why Favre doesn't like TT? So Favre has a bug up his ass about perceived slights. He's yet to say a single word of how he has been mistreated, other than the ridiculous ramblings on the Gretta Show.

I am so anxious for him to be somebody else's problem child.

Zool
08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
TT has done a good job up until this massive blunder. This knocks him down a peg or two imo.

He could have done better and made the Moss deal happen, but he didn't nor did 30 other GMs. Can't fault him too much for that, but at the same time you have to wonder why he didn't pull the trigger for a 3rd if he was intrigued enough to get in the game in the first place.

Moss
Only
Wanted
To
Play
For
The
Patriots

I really wish people would stop bringing this BS up.

Fritz
08-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Thank you, Zool.

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Indeed, and I was glad he didnt pay Wahle and Rivera? Come on he was washed up. He didnt replace Wahle in a timely manor and I'm sure TT will admit that.

Zool
08-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Indeed, and I was glad he didnt pay Wahle and Rivera? Come on he was washed up. He didnt replace Wahle in a timely manor and I'm sure TT will admit that.

Agreed. Rivera was not worth the money he got from Dallas. Wahle would have been great to resign, but he got $12mil the first season in Carolina. No way the Packers could have kept him for anywhere even close. I cant blame Wahle one bit for grabbing the cash on that deal. I suppose Thompson could have passed up Rodgers and drafted Mankins but it didnt happen. If Rodgers ends up making a pro-bowl or 2 I'd say the right call was made there.

sharpe1027
08-06-2008, 08:57 AM

Moss
Only
Wanted
To
Play
For
The
Patriots

I really wish people would stop bringing this BS up.

Favre complained that he was upset about Moss because TT told him they were going to try to get him and then (according to Favre) he didn't follow through. Funny thing is, everything I read said that TT did try to get Moss, the Pats just snuck in at the last minute....so, what is Favre really upset about?