PDA

View Full Version : Just freaking release him already

Freak Out
08-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I wanted to put fucking in the title so bad but my deep moral convictions got the better of me. Ya....

Go ahead and blast away assholes...I could care less. What the hell is so hard about just releasing the guy? Let him go figure it out. Well...Brett, Bus and the lady that is. Why do we have to protect ourselves by not allowing him to go where he wants? Because it sets a bad precedent? It could hurt us in the end? WE DON'T GET ANYTHING IN RETURN? How about some pride.
"Brett...its been nice but we've moved on...have fun out there and we wish you all the best."

Just let him go give it a shot...no matter who it's with.

Bretsky
08-06-2008, 12:01 AM
we are afraid of Minnesota

That and we should be able to milk a draft pick out of somebody

MadtownPacker
08-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Just let it go Freak. It is over.

Partial
08-06-2008, 12:02 AM
I wanted to put fucking in the title so bad but my deep moral convictions got the better of me. Ya....

Go ahead and blast away assholes...I could care less. What the hell is so hard about just releasing the guy? Let him go figure it out. Well...Brett, Bus and the lady that is. Why do we have to protect ourselves by not allowing him to go where he wants? Because it sets a bad precedent? It could hurt us in the end? WE DON'T GET ANYTHING IN RETURN? How about some pride.
"Brett...its been nice but we've moved on...have fun out there and we wish you all the best."

:five: :cow: :cow:

Agree completely. They owe him that.

Partial
08-06-2008, 12:03 AM

But is that morally right? Would you do that? Is that respectful to a 16 year vet who brought you your first super bowl in 40 years and many, many, many amazing years.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Just let it go Freak. It is over.

Sigh.............

VegasPackFan
08-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Because no NFL GM would ever in his right mind give up a player that he can get any kind of value or compensation from. It would be stupid to do that.

Bretsky
08-06-2008, 12:05 AM

But is that morally right? Would you do that? Is that respectful to a 16 year vet who brought you your first super bowl in 40 years and many, many, many amazing years.

What would I have done ?

When Favre called with an itch to play, I'd have flew my ass down to Favre's home with MM and figured this thing out and discussed long ago so this mess never occured.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Because no NFL GM would ever in his right mind give up a player that he can get any kind of value or compensation from. It would be stupid to do that.

Really? You sure of that?

mission
08-06-2008, 12:09 AM
What the fuck do we owe *anybody* .... give me a break.

We're owed an ass beating (or two) by the Vikings if our people hired to operate BUSINESS can't do it properly.

This was an incredibly difficult situation for our management. I have a hard time envisioning any NFL executive, past or present, handling it in a way that appeases even a majority of people.

It's way too delicate, with way too many "potentials" and way too much on the line.

This is the NFL, remember.

Partial
08-06-2008, 12:11 AM

Yeah, and then you end up resented and hated. It's a fine line. The Eagles let TO go, remember.

VegasPackFan
08-06-2008, 12:12 AM

Really? You sure of that?

Yep, totally sure.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 12:59 AM

Freaky, I truly don't understand where you are really coming from.

The answer to your question is obvious: you don't hand valuable assets to your competition. Good players just don't get their contracts torn-up so they can sign with the next door neighbors. doesn;t happen in sport. You know this.

So where is this coming from? Do you just feel sorry for Favre?

GrnBay007
08-06-2008, 01:04 AM

The answer to your question is obvious: you don't hand valuable assets to your competition. Good players just don't get their contracts torn-up so they can sign with the next door neighbors. doesn;t happen in sport. You know this.

So where is this coming from?

Key word - Valuable asset.

If he's not valuable in GB why be afraid of him? Let him go and wish him well...he deserves that much.

boiga
08-06-2008, 01:12 AM

If he's not valuable in GB why be afraid of him? Let him go and wish him well...he deserves that much.

Because the reason that he is not valuable in GB is that he can't commit to being a Packer again. Both McCarthy and Favre agree that he can't get himself 100% committed to playing for our team again after all that's happened in the off season.

However, he could be committed to playing if it were for the Vikes and he could thus get revenge on the Packers. Favre's still a great player when he wants to be. So why would we hand that to the Vikes ?

th87
08-06-2008, 01:33 AM
I can't believe people are actually serious about this.

Vikings = Good team missing a QB.

I got an idea! Let's give our main rival a QB for free!!!

I'm so glad none of you are running this team.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 01:36 AM

why does he deserve free agency? He is under contract, and he is not a Prince. This coddling of Favre is sickening.

Good players sometimes get traded, but rarely to division rivals. And they are never simply released because "they deserve that much".

Lurker64
08-06-2008, 01:41 AM
If they release Favre, I would be terribly disappointed if they do it at any point before the eve of the regular season.

Partial
08-06-2008, 01:43 AM
If they release Favre, I would be terribly disappointed if they do it at any point before the eve of the regular season.

If you wish that on Brett Favre, than you're pretty sick and twisted.

th87
08-06-2008, 01:47 AM

It's the smart move.

When the goal is winning, logic beats emotion every time.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 02:00 AM

So where is this coming from? Do you just feel sorry for Favre?

We've moved on and I'm fine with that. I've said in the past that I didn't think #4 could ever get us to another SB and have complete faith in TT and M3....and I think this team will be successful without Favre....no matter where he plays if he does play again. The Packers will win because of what kind of team they are not because they keep #4 on a bench somewhere or off another team.

I do feel sorry for him in some way. Sad as to how it all has ended....but I think he should get his chance for glory again. Do the Packers owe him this? No. But there is precedent....not that it matters though.

th87
08-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Precedent? Where?

Lurker64
08-06-2008, 03:38 AM

Now there's an important distinction to be made here. I don't want the Packers to release Favre at the latest possible moment in order to screw over Favre or so that bad things happen to Favre out of some juvenile sense of revenge. To be honest, I don't really care what happens to Favre. At least, I don't care what happens to Favre any more than I care what happens to you, my landlord, that guy who works the cash register at the deli downtown, Russian Senator and multiple gold medalist Alexander Karelin, or any number of random people. Favre's a decent human being and I want decent human being type of things to happen to him. That being said, things don't always work out in the best possible way for ever decent person, and nor should they. Sometimes that guy at the lunch counter slips on some ice and breaks his wrist. Sometimes Brett Favre doesn't get to dictate the terms under which he plays football in 2008. These are unfortunate things, but that's the way of the world. To be honest, since Brett has millions of dollars, the adulation of millions of people, several houses, fancy cars, and a family that cares about him, I'm much less inclined to worry about him than I am to worry about that guy at the Deli that I like.

The reason I would want to wait until the last minute to release Favre is not to spite Brett, but because it's the decision that helps the team the most. Since all indications are that Brett is going back to Mississippi on Wednesday and will not be practicing or competing to play QB for the Packers, he's not going to be a distraction in camp. So really the choices the Packers have are "trade him", "pay him to stay at home and not be on another team", or "release him." Trading him would probably be the best thing to do and it looks like it might happen soon, but who knows honestly. Paying him to stay at home is very expensive, it's not only $12 million out of the non-infinite coffers of the Green Bay Packers (we lack billionaire owners who can easily absorb any minor loss), but it also counts against the salary cap which prevents us from extending some of our young up and coming players. So whether or not paying him to stay at home is a good decision will come down to what the accountants and capologists for the Packers decide.

Really, releasing him is a last resort. If you release him you say "we can't trade him" and "we can't really afford to pay him to stay at home, in hopes that we can maybe trade him in the middle of the season to play for a team who suffers an injury at QB." Since it's a last resort, I would be terribly disappointed in the Packers if they didn't do their due diligence in exhausting all other potential avenues before they release him. Which essentially means that I want the Packers to "work on a trade until such a trade is finalized or it is determined that no trade can be done, at which point he is released."

Though to be honest, we both know that if Favre is released and doesn't retire from football, he will end up playing as a Minnesota Viking and though I do not particularly want to spite Favre, I would like to spite the Vikings. If they are going to have Favre, I want them to get him at the last possible minute, so that the Vikings and Favre have minimal time to work together, develop chemistry, and perfect the offense. I say this because if Favre is a Minnesota Viking, I want him to fail. Not because I dislike Favre, but because I dislike the Minnesota Vikings and I do not wish to see them do well. If Favre ends up on any other team that I have no particular ill will towards, I wish him all the best, but my dislike of division (and otherwise) rivals outweighs my affection for Favre.

So if you think that's sick and twisted, so be it.

pack4to84
08-06-2008, 04:50 AM
well said Lurker64. I agree with your statement.

cpk1994
08-06-2008, 06:15 AM

So where is this coming from?

If he's not valuable in GB why be afraid of him? Let him go and wish him well...he deserves that much.He may not be valuable as a player, but the draft pick or picks you get in return in a trade are.