PDA

View Full Version : What Holmgren Said

Fritz
08-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Holmgren was interviewed on satellite radio, and of course since he knows both sides he was very careful. But this jumped out at me:

"“I told (Brett) last year after we played them in the playoff game — and then we talked when he retired — physically, absolutely he can still play,” Holmgren said. “But I said that’s not enough. You have to really have the desire to do it inside because the game is too hard. I really thought this one [the retirement] was for real."

Okay, this speaks volumes to me. It says to me that Holmgren does not believe Favre's heart and soul are really in it any more - and he saw Favre struggling with that last year already, and it was taking its toll on Favre. Favre spoke of this quite a bit at his retirement press conference - the need to be completely, fully committed - that burning desire - and that consequent requirement that one translates this desire into that late-Thursday-night-film-room stuff - the comment MM made at his press conference.

My belief is that Favre really does not have that any more, and MM saw that, though he did not want to disrespect Favre and say that to the media. So he said he thought Favre was coming back for "emotional" reasons (not that revenge isn't emotional, but having that as your motivation is not, in the end, productive). And if you look at MM's words, he says that Brett tried to convince MM otherwise, and MM then said he respects Favre's opinion and so MM is willing to say he was wrong. "If I'm wrong, I'm wrong," were his words. To me, that means he's still not convinced. He didn't say "I was wrong." He said "If I'm wrong."

It is my belief that Brett Favre will not have a very good year. For the reason stated above, and when you add to that the fact he hasn't done the grueling offseason stuff he has said an older player needs to do to be successful, and the fact he's got one training camp to get familiar with the system and the players, I think you have a recipe for a poor year.

In fact, I would not be shocked if Favre went to Tampa Bay's training camp and after a few weeks walked away.

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm not the biggest Mike Holmgren fan, but this is good and telling insight. Much like MM's message to us yesterday.

Fritz
08-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I do think Favre is going to hit a wall, very quickly, in Tampa Bay. Revenge tastes sweet in one's mouth, but the requirement to make it work is the constant discipline to do anything and everything, no matter what, to gain said revenge, at the cost of all else.

I don't think Favre has that in him. He's not a sh-tty enough of a person.

Chevelle2
08-06-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm not expecting much from him in Tampa, either. New city, new weather, new (lesser) receivers, new coaching staff, new (lesser) running game, new media, new blocking scheme....Ive also heard the players in TB really back Garcia, and Favre being there may cause a rift. JMO.

The Leaper
08-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I think this is very telling as well.

Can Favre still play football? Sure. Could he still play it at a high level even if he wasn't 100% into it? Probably. Could the Packers risk taking the chance...since they had Rodgers ready to go? Perhaps, but I can understand their choice not to.

I think Brett believes he is ready to go...but I agree that his thinking could quickly change once the work starts to take its toll on him yet again. I think Brett has always believed deep down that he was going to be able to come back to Green Bay if he wanted and continue playing.

Some suggest his "waffling" in late March was him testing the Packers to try to make a move toward the Vikings. I don't think so. I think it may have been Favre just testing the Packers to see if they would let him back. When the Packers were agreeable, Favre probably thought he had his ace in the hole...and he would just skip all the offseason stuff and show up at camp ready to go.

I'm ready to move on with Rodgers...and I'm hoping Favre realizes that his best avenue at this point is to just go back into retirement. If he wants to have a connection to the game, go into broadcasting. I think he'd be good in that role in time.