PDA

View Full Version : Cook: Favre willing to play for Bucs OR Jets

boiga
08-06-2008, 09:34 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=442699
Bucs or Jets: Brett Favre may choose today, agent says

According to Brett Favre's agent, Favre is willing to play for either the Jets or the Buccaneers, and he hopes a trade is completed by Thursday at the latest.

"Brett feels he needs to get into training camp," Bus Cook told Sporting News in a telephone interview Wednesday morning. "He's ready to get started."

Asked if he could foresee a scenario in which Favre did not play this season, Cook said, "No, I don't see that happening. He wants to play."

Cook said that both he and Favre were still in Green Bay, but that they expected to leave sometime Wednesday. It remained to be seen where Favre was headed. The door to the Packers has closed on Favre, and they remained unwilling to trade him to the Vikings, Favre's next preference. As of Wednesday morning, Cook saw the Buccaneers and the Jets as the only two realistic teams for Favre.

"I haven't heard of anywhere else," said Cook. "Sure, he'd consider somewhere else, but it would have to be the right place. I don't know for sure, but I think the Packers have called just about everybody. Tampa and the Jets are the two teams out front."
Favre's next stop is likely with the Bucs or the Jets.

After Favre's lengthy meeting with Packers head coach Mike McCarthy on Monday, Cook said Favre realized that returning to the Packers would be too disruptive.

"He could have stayed there, he could have forced the issue, he could have been a bad teammate," said Cook. "But that's not Brett. They asked if he was committed to playing for them, but they are in no way committed to him. At no time during this whole situation have they ever told Brett that they want him back. At this point, it's time to go separate ways."

Cook said he was not sure how the rift between the Packers and Favre would impact the quarterback's legacy.

"I just hope people understand how we got to this point," said Cook. "Yes, Brett changed his mind. What's wrong with that? How many people, in how many professions, change their mind? The Packers were pressuring him for an answer back in March. It's not a coincidence that he made his announcement at that time. They wanted an answer. He gave them one. Then after he changed his mind, they no longer wanted him back. That's how we got to this point."

And at this point, both Cook and Favre want a trade to happen quickly.

Said Cook, "I'd expect something to happen within the next 48 hours."

It's a bidding war, folks. Now that Brett's playing ball, this process is finally moving forward.

digitaldean
08-06-2008, 09:36 AM
You beat me to it....

Heard the Jets are offering more.

I'd say GO FOR IT. If he doesn't want to play here, get the deal done and get as much as we can.

Chevelle2
08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Yes! Bidding war!

prsnfoto
08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
You beat me to it....

I'd say GO FOR IT. If he doesn't want to play here, get the deal done and get as much as we can.

He did want to play here he was unwanted MM can spin it however he wants but it was made clear he is unwanted.

LL2
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I hope TT can get a 1st rd pick, but would be happy with a #2.

]{ilr]3
08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
"I just hope people understand how we got to this point," said Cook. "Yes, Brett changed his mind. What's wrong with that? How many people, in how many professions, change their mind? The Packers were pressuring him for an answer back in March. It's not a coincidence that he made his announcement at that time. They wanted an answer. He gave them one. Then after he changed his mind, they no longer wanted him back. That's how we got to this point."

Thats right asswipe. I can change my mind, but I accept what goes along with it when I do. Unlike You and Favre who seem to think you can do what ever the hell you want and everyone else has to suffer for it!

pbmax
08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
M2 said about the June 20 conversation that even then, Favre couldn't commit 100%. Favre doesn't remember it that way.

His next step was to ask for his release. Forget July/Aug and all the coverage, and ask yourself why in June when he asked back he couldn't give unconditional commitment.

You beat me to it....

He did want to play here he was unwanted MM can spin it however he wants but it was made clear he is unwanted.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 03:27 PM
"bidding war" is probably a little optimistic. There are going to be a lot more factors involved in closing this deal than just compensation for packers.

But its good that more than one team is sniffing around.

bobblehead
08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
You beat me to it....

As much as I have said we don't OWE brett anything, I think getting him moved sooner rather than later is the right thing to do.....as long as its where we want to send him. That is win win.