PDA

View Full Version : Jay Glazer on Mike and Mike

PackerTimer
08-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Jay Glazer was just on M&M in the morning on ESPN and I found this to be quite interesting. It finally gives me some answers as to how this has all unfolded.

According to Jay.
After the season is over, BF tells MM and the Packers he's done, he's finished. They say think about it for a while. On March 3, BF says he's going to retire and they announce in on March 5. I believe I heard Glazer say that the marketing/consulting deal was in play at this time. On March 20, BF calls MM up and says "I want to come back." MM says sounds good to me... BF says "What about TT". MM asks TT about it and TT says, "sure, we want him back, but he has to help us with AR. We need him to work with him and help us so AR doesn't bolt out of here in another year and we're left with nothing." MM takes this back to BF and as glazer says.."BF is stoked about it and ready to come back." GB gets the press release ready, they're ready to go with it, they charter a jet to go pick him up, etc. A day or so before they're ready to announce it, BF calls back and says "how bout that other deal".... GB is like "what, what other deal?" Seems that BF doesn't want to come back anymore, he wants the retirement deal. So that's where it stands at that point.

Glazer says that BF denies this ever happened but he is %100 sure that it went down this way as he has multiple sources telling him the same thing.

Glazer says that throughout the spring GB puts out feelers to BF and it's always the same - I'm retiring. They ask before the draft and he says, "yes, I'm retired, go draft a QB." They ask after the draft and get the same answer. They feel they've done their due diligence on this. Then, BF pulls the last part of this stunt and they finally say enough is enough.

Glazer also brings up concerns that he believes the Packers and other teams have about BF's off-season workout (or lack thereof) this year. Hasn't worked out this year - similar to 2 and 3 years ago when he was an "interception machine". Last year, the Packers paid 5K a week for a personal trainer of sorts to work with him and you saw the results..... very unlike the results from the previous 2 years.

Peter King was on Mike and Mike this morning too. King asked nine executives from nine different teams off of the record what they would have done in the Favre situation and he claims without hesitation all nine agreed with what TT and the Packers are doing. Apparently it's not a very big secret that Favre has jerked around the Packers for a few years now with retirement talk and other issues.

Got this from another message board earlier today. Glazer's report expands on the timeline most of us have seen and if true, and Glazer is one of the few "insiders" I actually trust, it's pretty telling of why the Packers have taken the stance they did.

Also, most of the people calling for TT's job over this and think they could do a better job than he has running this team must think they are better than all of those other GM's who would handle it the same way. It makes you wonder why they are posting on message boards and not running professional sports franchises.

pbmax
08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Nice tip thanks for it. One word of caution, Glazer seems to be a new favored guy for the Packers. Remember he had the Favre as backup story that blew everyone away originally and no one believed. Even Thompson and McCarthy wouldn't touch it live.

Turns out he had it right. But this also means that this might be all from the Packer perspective.

I am curious, given that Favre felt unwelcome, if the Pack actually called before and after the draft to check on him. Seems like a different story than has been making the rounds.

Lastly, what year was it that Favre had the personal trainer that emphasized the "core muscles". It wasn't the guy last year, but does anyone remember? I am curious if that timing was before the 2005 team flameout. Glazer seems to suggest it was.

PackerTimer
08-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Nice tip thanks for it. One word of caution, Glazer seems to be a new favored guy for the Packers. Remember he had the Favre as backup story that blew everyone away originally and no one believed. Even Thompson and McCarthy wouldn't touch it live.

Turns out he had it right. But this also means that this might be all from the Packer perspective.

I am curious, given that Favre felt unwelcome, if the Pack actually called before and after the draft to check on him. Seems like a different story than has been making the rounds.

Lastly, what year was it that Favre had the personal trainer that emphasized the "core muscles". It wasn't the guy last year, but does anyone remember? I am curious if that timing was before the 2005 team flameout. Glazer seems to suggest it was.

I think that's a pretty good word of caution. Glazer has been fairly negative towards Favre through this whole mess.

The Leaper
08-06-2008, 01:37 PM

I think you are right. 2007 was not the first year that Favre had done extensive off-season training...I remember the "core" training.

Was that done when Sherman was still here? It may have happened prior to the 2005 season.

pbmax
08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
I am not sure the workout story explains it all. Last year he had a personal trainer and was lights out for most of the season.

But in preparation for the 2005 season, he had a core muscle group personal trainer as well. And I think we all remember that that trainer got Mike Sherman to Texas A&M.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2005/08/02/2/

Favre said with better mobility he could have dodged defenders on five or six plays. To improve Favre's elusiveness and stamina, strength and conditioning coach Barry Rubin suggested a personal trainer named Ken Croener. Favre had always worked out in the offseason on his own, but the Packers paid for the outside help.

In his hometown of Kiln, Miss., Croener worked him out 50 minutes-a-day, emphasizing core exercises to strengthen his abdomen and back. Having strength in those muscles will help when he throws from awkward positions during a game.

PackerBlues
08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Glazer is a rumor mongering hack. :roll:

The Shadow
08-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Glazer's story is the one that has been basically circulating throughout the league, and certainly explains the club's final response to the diva act.

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Seems like a natural fit. Maybe Chicago. Anyone think a third teams involvement is one reason for the delay?

The Shadow
08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Seems like a natural fit. Maybe Chicago. Anyone think a third teams involvement is one reason for the delay?

Alway the possibility of a 3 team trade, with Simms going to the Bears.

boiga
08-06-2008, 01:53 PM
It's more that Favre decided to only report his story to ESPN, so Glazer and Schefter have been fighting over Packer sourced stories.

Still, the both of them are better reporters than anyone on else in the business, so their ability to ferret out the details is hard to deny.

prsnfoto
08-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Jay Glazer was just on M&M in the morning on ESPN and I found this to be quite interesting. It finally gives me some answers as to how this has all unfolded.

According to Jay.
After the season is over, BF tells MM and the Packers he's done, he's finished. They say think about it for a while. On March 3, BF says he's going to retire and they announce in on March 5. I believe I heard Glazer say that the marketing/consulting deal was in play at this time. On March 20, BF calls MM up and says "I want to come back." MM says sounds good to me... BF says "What about TT". MM asks TT about it and TT says, "sure, we want him back, but he has to help us with AR. We need him to work with him and help us so AR doesn't bolt out of here in another year and we're left with nothing." MM takes this back to BF and as glazer says.."BF is stoked about it and ready to come back." GB gets the press release ready, they're ready to go with it, they charter a jet to go pick him up, etc. A day or so before they're ready to announce it, BF calls back and says "how bout that other deal".... GB is like "what, what other deal?" Seems that BF doesn't want to come back anymore, he wants the retirement deal. So that's where it stands at that point.

Glazer says that BF denies this ever happened but he is %100 sure that it went down this way as he has multiple sources telling him the same thing.

Glazer says that throughout the spring GB puts out feelers to BF and it's always the same - I'm retiring. They ask before the draft and he says, "yes, I'm retired, go draft a QB." They ask after the draft and get the same answer. They feel they've done their due diligence on this. Then, BF pulls the last part of this stunt and they finally say enough is enough.

Glazer also brings up concerns that he believes the Packers and other teams have about BF's off-season workout (or lack thereof) this year. Hasn't worked out this year - similar to 2 and 3 years ago when he was an "interception machine". Last year, the Packers paid 5K a week for a personal trainer of sorts to work with him and you saw the results..... very unlike the results from the previous 2 years.

Peter King was on Mike and Mike this morning too. King asked nine executives from nine different teams off of the record what they would have done in the Favre situation and he claims without hesitation all nine agreed with what TT and the Packers are doing. Apparently it's not a very big secret that Favre has jerked around the Packers for a few years now with retirement talk and other issues.

Got this from another message board earlier today. Glazer's report expands on the timeline most of us have seen and if true, and Glazer is one of the few "insiders" I actually trust, it's pretty telling of why the Packers have taken the stance they did.

Also, most of the people calling for TT's job over this and think they could do a better job than he has running this team must think they are better than all of those other GM's who would handle it the same way. It makes you wonder why they are posting on message boards and not running professional sports franchises.

I am sure all of his sources were stuffed up Deanna's hairy taco with high powered listening devices. Oh and da what do you think most execs are gonna say they are management, Mortensen said something similar the other day except his report said off the record none of the teams I have talked to can figure out what the hell is wrong in GB and why they won't take Favre back but publicly they back the Packers. I call bullshit on all these media whores. I got one for ya and this is not a rumor and is way more reliable than any of these bozos but even I will say it probably won't happen once everyone cools off. My boss knows both Bob Harlan and Mr. Bergstrom (head of finance on the executive board) I have meet Bob several times when I was in GB with him so this isn't some bullshit he does know him well anyway, according to him the board is very divided on the whole issue but a slight majority wanted Favre back, Bergstrom is really pissed because he feels Brett will never come back and this will cost the Packers somewhere near 300 million in lost revenue (where they get that number I have no idea, but I have heard several times that for every dollar Brett was paid he generated 10). Bottom line TT and MM went against upper management and if they don't go deep into the playoffs they will be Ray Rhodesaccaded. Take it for what it is worth, just as much of chance of becoming true as anything else you read.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Bottom line TT and MM went against upper management and if they don't go deep into the playoffs they will be Ray Rhodesaccaded. Take it for what it is worth, just as much of chance of becoming true as anything else you read.

#4 did make the NFL and Packers a pile of money... :lol:

arcilite
08-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Brett Favre bringing in $300 million in revenue?

LOL

what is he? A summer blockbuster movie?

motife
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM
During one interview, Favre criticized Thompson for not interviewing his buddy, Steve Mariucci, for the job that went to McCarthy. After the horrendous job that Mariucci did in Detroit, Thompson would have been roasted for even considering Mariucci, let alone hiring him.

Those were just a few examples of Favre operating almost in a delusional state, hearing only what he wanted to hear and acting as if he was larger than the team.

Rastak
08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
During one interview, Favre criticized Thompson for not interviewing his buddy, Steve Mariucci, for the job that went to McCarthy. After the horrendous job that Mariucci did in Detroit, Thompson would have been roasted for even considering Mariucci, let alone hiring him.

Those were just a few examples of Favre operating almost in a delusional state, hearing only what he wanted to hear and acting as if he was larger than the team.

I think what he was pissed about, is TT indicated to him he would interview Mariucci but then didn't. Maybe Favre did dream this stuff up and is delusional, who knows.

RIPackerFan
08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I agree with Rastak - I thought his grievances were not that his suggestions were not taken, but that he was told by TT that TT was going to do one thing, but then he didn't do it.

Rastak
08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
I agree with Rastak - I thought his grievances were not that his suggestions were not taken, but that he was told by TT that TT was going to do one thing, but then he didn't do it.

Yea, that was the whole thing as I understand it.

Cheesehead Craig
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Did Mike Golic just go off about how stupid the Packers are by not just giving Favre everything he wants? I saw him on ESPN on this topic before and all he does is yell and shout his opinion and thinks that his vocal volume gives his arguments more credence. Golic's a tool.

mission
08-06-2008, 03:46 PM

According to Jay.

I am sure all of his sources were stuffed up Deanna's hairy taco with high powered listening devices. Oh and da what do you think most execs are gonna say they are management, Mortensen said something similar the other day except his report said off the record none of the teams I have talked to can figure out what the hell is wrong in GB and why they won't take Favre back but publicly they back the Packers. I call bullshit on all these media whores. I got one for ya and this is not a rumor and is way more reliable than any of these bozos but even I will say it probably won't happen once everyone cools off. My boss knows both Bob Harlan and Mr. Bergstrom (head of finance on the executive board) I have meet Bob several times when I was in GB with him so this isn't some bullshit he does know him well anyway, according to him the board is very divided on the whole issue but a slight majority wanted Favre back, Bergstrom is really pissed because he feels Brett will never come back and this will cost the Packers somewhere near 300 million in lost revenue (where they get that number I have no idea, but I have heard several times that for every dollar Brett was paid he generated 10). Bottom line TT and MM went against upper management and if they don't go deep into the playoffs they will be Ray Rhodesaccaded. Take it for what it is worth, just as much of chance of becoming true as anything else you read.

sorry thats retarded...

if the packers make it to the second round of the playoffs this year or lose a close one to a good team in the first round or whatever, are you kidding... go deep in the playoffs ?

MM will be our coach next year.

ZERO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

i got *your* mortgage/rent payment on it... really, wanna bet?

Packers4Ever
08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Bottom line TT and MM went against upper management and if they don't go deep into the playoffs they will be Ray Rhodesaccaded. Take it for what it is worth, just as much of chance of becoming true as anything else you read.

#4 did make the NFL and Packers a pile of money... :lol:

I just wonder what TT and MM said or did to go against
"upper management." if this is true ?? :shock:

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Did Mike Golic just go off about how stupid the Packers are by not just giving Favre everything he wants?

Golic compared the Packers stance on Favre to the hypothetical case of Barry Sanders unretiring back in 1999. He said it would be an outrage for the Lions to suggest Sanders had to compete for his starting job.

Huh!!?? Favre is arguably in the same league as Barry Sanders as a football player, but Favre is about to turn 39. Barry Sanders retired at 30. And it is not a long process to groom a replacement RB like it is with a QB.

Golic has his head up his ass on this one.

motife
08-06-2008, 03:57 PM

Yea, that was the whole thing as I understand it.

That wasn't the only "delusion", the only "hearing only what he wanted to hear" event of Favre the QB/GM.

bobblehead
08-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Did Mike Golic just go off about how stupid the Packers are by not just giving Favre everything he wants?

Golic compared the Packers stance on Favre to the hypothetical case of Barry Sanders unretiring back in 1999. He said it would be an outrage for the Lions to suggest Sanders had to compete for his starting job.

Huh!!?? Favre is arguably in the same league as Barry Sanders as a football player, but Favre is about to turn 39. Barry Sanders retired at 30. And it is not a long process to groom a replacement RB like it is with a QB.

Golic got on TV cuz god blessed him with being big and athletic. His opinion means absolutely nothing to me, nor does any other exjock. Guys who got there with their brains...I'll listen and give them some thought.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Golic got on TV cuz god blessed him with being big and athletic. His opinion means absolutely nothing to me, nor does any other exjock. Guys who got there with their brains...I'll listen and give them some thought.

ya, as a rule of thumb, you should only trust jewish sportscasters for actual opinions. Marv & Kenny Albert, Tony Kornheiser, Al Michaels, Chris Bernman. Chochems all.

Chevelle2
08-06-2008, 04:12 PM

In all sreiousness, Mike Golic has to be the ugliest man on television.

Brando19
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Have you seen John Clayton?

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Golic and John Clayton are not ugly.

Take a stroll through Wallmart, then come back and tell me they are uglier than your average human.

BallHawk
08-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Well, at least he had Nutrisystem. It coulda been worse....

Gunakor
08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Bottom line TT and MM went against upper management...

If this is true, and I'm not brushing it aside as rumor without hearing it for myself first, but IF this is true, then WHY did the Packers Board of Directors send Mark Murphy down to Hattiesburg to make that 25 million dollar personal services offer to Brett Favre? Remember now, Murphy is WAY above TT. Ted Thompson doesn't send Mark Murphy anywhere, and that's that. Murphy only answers to the Board of Directors. So when Murphy flew down to make that offer, it could only be assumed that he was instructed to do so by the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is upper management, and both TT and MM seem to be going along with them, not against them. What gives?