PDA

View Full Version : Sitton to start at RG? Spitz moves to left?

motife
08-06-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

UPDATE :

McCarthy said center Scott Wells is day-to-day with his trunk injury. He praised rookie Josh Sitton and said Sitton would compete for a starting spot at right guard as training camp progresses.

UPDATE:Here's the exact quote from McCarthy when asked how Sitton is playing with the first unit. "Good. Josh has taken full advantage of his opportunity. That's why we're going to give him an opportunity to compete and win the right guard position, and really kind of take Daryn (Colledge) and Allen (Barbre) and Jason (Spitz) and really kind of work a three- or four-man rotation in the left guard and center position." That sure makes it sounds like Sitton -- not Spitz -- is the man at right guard until further notice.

boy, I like this guy. He is a REAL man's man. He's a no BS guy in spades.

He's a LOT more buff than his college photos showed.

When they asked him about scouting or not being invited to the combine, basically being ignored he just shrugged his shoulders and said, I'm here now aren't I? What difference does it make?

When anyone asks him about anything extraneous he says, all I think is football. I'm here to play football. That's the only thing on my mind right now.

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/recent/

Chevelle2
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Sick. Apparently, he is in the mix for the starting RG spot.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

boiga
08-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't know... I sort of have that upper midwest bias against slow quiet speakers. The guy's built like a tank and has a great attitude... but he's got so little personality and is such a dull speaker that it makes me wonder about his wonderlic.

It could just be because he's a rookie and hasn't quite relaxed enough to open up to the cameras. Brandon Jackson comes off similarly.

motife
08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Brandon Jackson is shy. There's NOTHING shy about Josh Sitton.

Apparently, even veterans don't mess with him either.

MTPackerfan
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
check out Al Harris in the rafasta hat. :D

dabootski
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
is it just me or was that Yoda interviewing him at the 3:44 mark!?!?!

motife
08-06-2008, 02:45 PM

That guy did sound like a very eager metrosexual.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2008, 03:00 PM

Nice!

Sitton possible starter you are.

billy_oliver880
08-06-2008, 03:06 PM
How did yoda sneek into the locker room! :shock:

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 03:24 PM
boy, I like this guy. He is a REAL man's man .... He's a LOT more buff than his college photos showed.

I'm cool with this, motife.

Now that GBrulz will no longer be stalking Favre, maybe she can show you some of her favorite hiding placing around the stadium and practice field.

mission
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't know... I sort of have that upper midwest bias against slow quiet speakers. The guy's built like a tank and has a great attitude... but he's got so little personality and is such a dull speaker that it makes me wonder about his wonderlic.

It could just be because he's a rookie and hasn't quite relaxed enough to open up to the cameras. Brandon Jackson comes off similarly.

he is an offensive lineman you dork.

wonderlic ... you gotta be outta your mind. lol

packers04
08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
yeah he doesnt seem all that bright does he? he might be on some antidepressive meds or something but the boy can play some ball.

motife
08-06-2008, 05:08 PM

Fritz
08-06-2008, 05:08 PM
boy, I like this guy. He is a REAL man's man. He's a no BS guy in spades.

He's a LOT more buff than his college photos showed.

When they asked him about scouting or not being invited to the combine, basically being ignored he just shrugged his shoulders and said, I'm here now aren't I? What difference does it make?

When anyone asks him about anything extraneous he says, all I think is football. I'm here to play football. That's the only thing on my mind right now.

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/recent/

Wow, Motife, you really like this guy. Is it just me or is William Buckley sprouting wood after your Josh Sitton post? His facial expression seems to have changed such that this might be so...

motife
08-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Wow, Motife, you really like this guy. Is it just me or is William Buckley sprouting wood after your Josh Sitton post? His facial expression seems to have changed such that this might be so...

My only man crush was reserved for Gale Gillingham.

http://www.go4thestars.com/4176h.JPG

TennesseePackerBacker
08-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Actually, O-lineman are regarded as some of the smartest people in college and the pro's. Check it out, SI did an article about it a couple years ago, but i've read some other articles on it as well.

Rastak
08-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Actually, O-lineman are regarded as some of the smartest people in college and the pro's. Check it out, SI did an article about it a couple years ago, but i've read some other articles on it as well.

TPB is right. OL are one of the smartest groups. QB's score pretty high also. Unless your name is Vince Young.

mission
08-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I didnt say they werent smart ...

I just said he was an offensive lineman.

I really dont wanna go too far on this one but I can't think of many other positions that are as heavily populated by white people as the offensive line and quarterbacks.

Not that it has anything to do with genetic intelligence... i just know that there are supporting statistics that there is a lot more access to better schools and less single family homes, no chance to make $500 a day sellin drugs. My weed dude is 17 ... I almost feel bad. Almost if he didnt have a nicer car than me ...

It's hard for the kids in my neighborhood to stay focused. There is so much shit going on, so many opportunities to flip a little hard to be a 15 year old kid with a lot of money.

But stats about them being smart doesnt apply that much ... they're white and most grew up in the suburbs. Of course they are gonna get a better education.

I still dont give a fuck about his wonderlic.... that's MY point.

RashanGary
08-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I could see Spitz at C and Sitton at RG. If Sitton is that good that early I would be really suprised. He's ultimately beating Wells or Colledge out of a position. I'm not saying that's some amazing accomplishment but for a rookie to beat out 3rd and 6th year vets is a pretty nice feather in his hat.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 06:17 PM

Ty has a bias against upper midwest people who speak quckly but say very little. :oops:

Fritz
08-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Like crackheads? Ty, don't betray yourself, man!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Like crackheads? Ty, don't betray yourself, man!

I'm definitely biased against myself. :oops:

Patler
08-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Sitton played mostly as a right tackle in college. At some point (maybe not this year) I expect the Packers will try him some there, too. Could be an option for depth behind Tauscher, or Tauscher's eventual replacement if Giacomini doesn't pan out.

The future of the O-line is looking better.

boiga
08-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Pickett apparently is in love with the guy:
“What round did we draft him in?” defensive tackle Ryan Pickett said. “I don’t know how he slid down like that. He’s one of the better rookie guards I’ve ever seen just coming in the league.”

All Pickett can do now is watch because of a tight hamstring. However, he did bump with Sitton during the off-season.

“As big as he is, he probably has some of the best feet on our offensive line,” said Pickett. “Real quick. When you beat him initially he’s so good at recovery. And he’s strong. You can’t bull him.

“All the D-line, everybody gives him respect. It’s hard to earn, but he did a good job earning it. Some day I know he’ll be a starter, a good one. I just don’t know when.” http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=780835

With that level of talent, he might bump both Colledge AND Barbre off the starting roster. This is making me really hopeful for our run game this year.

Guiness
08-07-2008, 01:18 AM
TPB is right. OL are one of the smartest groups. QB's score pretty high also. Unless your name is Vince Young.

Or Vick. Or Jeff George :D

Ya, dunces at every position. IIRC that article showed LT and QB as the highest average score, RB and CB as the lowest. I can certainly see RB...I bet by the time a feature back comes out of college, he's almost as punch drunk as a pro boxer.

Guiness
08-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Pickett apparently is in love with the guy:
“What round did we draft him in?” defensive tackle Ryan Pickett said. “I don’t know how he slid down like that. He’s one of the better rookie guards I’ve ever seen just coming in the league.”

All Pickett can do now is watch because of a tight hamstring. However, he did bump with Sitton during the off-season.

“As big as he is, he probably has some of the best feet on our offensive line,” said Pickett. “Real quick. When you beat him initially he’s so good at recovery. And he’s strong. You can’t bull him.

“All the D-line, everybody gives him respect. It’s hard to earn, but he did a good job earning it. Some day I know he’ll be a starter, a good one. I just don’t know when.” http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=780835

With that level of talent, he might bump both Colledge AND Barbre off the starting roster. This is making me really hopeful for our run game this year.

That's some endorsement. I don't recall anyone on the DL talking that way about Colledge, Spitz, Coston, etc.

Tarlam!
08-07-2008, 03:33 AM
That's some endorsement. I don't recall anyone on the DL talking that way about Colledge, Spitz, Coston, etc.

I agree. Looks like TT struck pay dirt with this kid. So much for the theory that linemen need 3 years to mature to be able to make an impact.

boiga
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Looks like Philben agrees with you Tarlam:
"He doesn't act like a rookie. You don't see guys running through a gap and him turning his head around wondering what happened. He seems like he gets it," Philbin said. "This coaching stuff's overrated. He's got some natural football instincts that you like."
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/299685