PDA

View Full Version : rumor from a bucs forum and ...

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
GM Bruce Allen has made it back to Orlando to inform Head Coach Jon Gruden of the latest news surrounding a deal the would bring Brett Favre to Tampa, from a very creditable source that has fist hand knowledge of the situation. The team will be announcing a news conference to inform the media that they have reached an agreement in principle with the Packers for the rights to recently reinstated QB Brett Favre.

The deal in place is for Brian Griese and a third round draft pick with conditions tied to the pick that could become as high as a 2nd rounder should the Bucs reach the Superbowl.

Does anyone else see a natural fit for Garcia in Minnesota? maybe Chicago.

Brian Greise?? Oh boy!

mission
08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
if that is true .. and come on, at this point !??!

then id be so happy... a third (no super bowl, sorry) and griese to backup?! awesome

BallHawk
08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd be down with that deal, though.

MTPackerfan
08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
What the hell would we want Griese for? He couldn't start for the Bears. I would rather have a D-Lineman.

LL2
08-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't like getting a 3rd and a Griese, but let's take it and move on. I'm hoping I hear a 2nd rd pick is part of the deal.

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I have to think the Jets could do better than this, but Brett might be nixin' the big apple at this point.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
The deal in place is for Brian Griese and a third round draft pick with conditions tied to the pick that could become as high as a 2nd rounder should the Bucs reach the Superbowl.

Does anyone else see a natural fit for Garcia in Minnesota? maybe Chicago.

Brian Greise?? Oh boy!

yuk, I'd rather have Bob than Brian Griese. Maybe Jeff Garcia was too good to hope for. Nah, they're gettin friggin Favre, give us friggin Garcia! No team needs two old men at one position.

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
What the hell would we want Griese for? He couldn't start for the Bears. I would rather have a D-Lineman.

trade deadline is Oct. 16th!

K-town
08-06-2008, 03:44 PM
I'd be happy with the 3rd pick and NO Griese.
Metaphorically speaking, his QB play blows dead goats.
Though we in Wisconsin would welcome his drinking habits.
I myself have appreicated some of his escapades:
"I tripped over my dog on the stairs."
"Hey, anybody can pass out at while standing on a team-mates driveway."

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 03:44 PM

I agree on Griese, but Brohm is no way ready to play. they still need a vet backup as much as Dline help.

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
A vet backup is on everyones wish list. ARod goes down in the 3rd Q and were up by a TD, nice to know somebody can move the chains a few times.

MTPackerfan
08-06-2008, 03:49 PM

I agree on Griese, but Brohm is no way ready to play. they still need a vet backup as much as Dline help.

Give us Garcia then, he would be 10 times better than Griese and he is used to being a backup (see Philadelphia)

bobblehead
08-06-2008, 03:50 PM
brett to tampa is becoming very credible, but the exact compensation I would say is still complete conjecture. and I'd rather have garcia...a proven off the bench producer.

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
What also makes sense here is, arent we gonna hear this first from their GM rather than TT?

In all probability I mean.

The Leaper
08-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Give us Garcia then, he would be 10 times better than Griese and he is used to being a backup (see Philadelphia)

Salary might be the issue there...no reason to pay out a bunch more money for Garcia, at least IMO.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 03:57 PM

Salary might be the issue there...no reason to pay out a bunch more money for Garcia, at least IMO.

hell, if Garcia is better (and I think he is), what's a few million? They have the cap space. And it is just a bandaid. Give him a front-loaded contract and dump him next year.

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm sure Garcia wants to compete for a starting role. Vikings, Jets, Bears, Ravens...

motife
08-06-2008, 04:01 PM
yuk, I'd rather have Bob than Brian Griese.

or Phil than Chris.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm sure Garcia wants to compete for a starting role. Vikings, Jets, Bears, Ravens...

on no, deja vu

jramsey495
08-06-2008, 04:43 PM
how perfect... the guy that replaced elway gets traded for favre and likely, if rodgers misses any time for injury, gets to follow favre too...

Packers4Ever
08-06-2008, 04:56 PM

then id be so happy... a third (no super bowl, sorry) and griese to backup?! awesome

What seems to be wrong with Griese's leg/calf that he suddenly isn't capable
of playing? I read (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, GB Press Gazette) or heard (ESPN, WTMJ- Milwaukee sports programs) about 2 weeks ago that he was healing and would be ready to play this fall. Isn't Simms available?

I'm curious - and shouldn't really give a damn - what TT will do with just Aaron and 2 rookie QBs this fall to carry the load, any ideas? New help coming in?

Fritz
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
If Bust Cook is correctb that Favre would go to NY or Tampa, then let the bidding begin.

A young DT and a conditional pick.

Chevelle2
08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Hollaaa

TBO.com

The question that remains is whether the Bucs are willing to win the bidding war, which could wind up costing them a No. 1 draft pick plus a player and maybe another pick.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 05:02 PM
If Bust Cook is correctb that Favre would go to NY or Tampa, then let the bidding begin.

I agree...we can wait and pick a QB from the waiver wire later. Get a young guy and a pick. Whats the point of having Griese on the team? So he can teach the young guys bad habits? Oh wait......he beat us last year didn't he? :lol: Posters game?

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Garcia......dead man walking. Grieses agent said he has heard nothing from TB concerning his client.

Packers4Ever
08-06-2008, 05:08 PM

What seems to be wrong with Griese's leg/calf that he suddenly isn't capable
of playing? I read (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, GB Press Gazette) or heard (ESPN, WTMJ- Milwaukee sports programs) about 2 weeks ago that he was healing and would be ready to play this fall. Isn't Simms available?

I'm curious - and shouldn't really give a damn - what TT will do with just Aaron and 2 rookie QBs this fall to carry the load, any ideas? New help coming in?

Whoops think I meant Garcia's leg up above - -

DonHutson
08-06-2008, 05:09 PM

A DT would be nice, but looking at the rosters I don't really see one. The Bucs have a starting DT hurt so they probably aren't willing to move one. The Jets run a 3-4 so they don't have that many in the first place. Nobody there is all that intriguing. I'd try to get two picks and maybe you can trade one for a DT that's a better fit.

jklowan
08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
The compensation could be a 1st, fingers crossed

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/aug/06/favre-watch-hold-your-horses/?sports-bucs

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 05:31 PM
more from blogs:

In trying to gather any information I can on the F-word situation, the best I've been able to piece together right now is that we're currently looking at a 60-40 chance on the Bucs vs Jets for acquiring him in a trade from Green Bay.

This thing is all over the map, a seriously moving target that is really hard to get a handle on.

Favre's first choice was to play within the division, and the Pack threw that one right out. While neither the Bucs nor the Jets were his first choice, he's decided that he can be happy in either place because he wants to play this season and if he doesn't allow a trade to either of those teams, he probably won't be starting anywhere this year -- barring an outright release.

Things Favre likes about the potential of playing for the Bucs include the WCO, his familiarity with Gruden, the fact that he'd face his old team this season, and the fact that the Bucs appear to be miles closer to ultimate success than the Jets. The Jets are not only out of his division, they're completely out of his conference, which apparently he's indicated is kind of a downer for him since he likes the familiarity he has with NFC opponents.

Tampa is also closer to home.

The Bucs are possibly prepared to accept Favre without a contract restructuring because of their favorable cap situation, which means Favre will still earn his $12 million this season. The Jets have indicated they want to re-do his contract, but the contract situation doesn't appear to be a deal breaker or deal maker either way.

Of the two teams, Favre prefers the Bucs. Favre wants the Bucs, the Bucs want him. Sounds like a done deal, but it isn't, and here's where the Jets pick up that 40% possibility: the compensation they're willing to offer to the Packers is more than the Bucs have been willing to part with at this point.

Admittedly, of course, the Jets need Favre more than the Bucs need him.

What is each team willing to give up? Nobody but the parties involved in the trade talk know for sure. People I speak to, normally reliable people, are widely divided about what they're hearing regarding the trade offers, including the potential of the Jets giving the Packers a first round pick in the next draft.

The compensation is apparently the only issue standing in the way of resolution.

The Packers will have to do what is best for the team, but despite the fact that they've decided to move on without him, they are still willing to try and help him land where he wants to land (outside the division, of course). That's why were probably looking at something like 60/40 right now.

The problem for the Bucs is that prior to flying back to Mississippi, Favre told the Packers that he'd accept a trade to either of those two teams.

When it comes down to it, if the Bucs aren't at least in the same zip code of compensation as the Jets, then Favre will end up in NYC. If the Packers feel that they're getting enough value from the Bucs, then they'll be willing to let Favre end up with his first choice of the second choice group of teams.

The Leaper
08-06-2008, 05:44 PM
The problem for the Bucs is that prior to flying back to Mississippi, Favre told the Packers that he'd accept a trade to either of those two teams.

I'm guessing more and more that Tampa is the choice...but Thompson probably told Favre to keep the options open in the press so he could get the best deal, and I don't see why Favre would refuse to help out with that.

sheepshead
08-06-2008, 05:44 PM
y Roy Cummings
Tampa Tribune

The Packers are close to announcing a deal for Brett Favre. That, at least is the feeling in Green Bay, where Packers GM Ted Thompson has postponed a news conference scheduled for this hour.

That's the latest on the Favre front, where the situation continues to change by the hour. Literally.

If you haven't heard, there are reports out now that suggest the Bucs and New York Jets are engaged in a bidding war for Favre and that the Jets are winning. Don't count out the Bucs, though.

The Glazers are star catchers and they see Favre as a star worth chasing. This deal then, at least as it pertains to the Bucs, has become as much about business as football.

Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, confirmed in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Wednesday that the Bucs and Jets were emerging as the most likely trade destinations for the three-time MVP.

Favre was on a private plane that left for Hattiesburg, Miss. at 1:25 p.m. Cook and Favre's wife, Deanna, also boarded the plane. Favre's family home is near Hattiesburg.

Earlier Wednesday, Cook told the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger that the trade might happen in a matter of hours.

"Brett's ready to go play," Cook told the paper.
The question that remains is whether the Bucs are willing to win the bidding war, which could wind up costing them a No. 1 draft pick plus a player and maybe another pick.

The Bucs are certainly in there fighting, but coach Jon Gruden wasn't ready to acknowledge that after practice this morning. Nor would he say he's had talks with Favre. Of course, he wouldn't deny talking to Favre either.

"I'm not going to talk about it,'' Gruden said when asked directly about talking to Favre. "I don't know anything other than what happened today on the practice field and I don't want to address any more speculation at this point.''

Speaking of speculation, there were reports in Tampa that suggest Favre may arrive there later today. The Tribune has confirmed, though, that the only private plan leaving Green Bay this morning is headed for Favre's hometown area of Hattiesburg, Miss.

The flight, initially delayed, reportedly is due to land in Mississippi later this afternoon.

The Bucs have yet to confirm publicly that they are interested in Favre. But Gruden conceded that Favre's situation is "unprecedented" and acknowledged that he's always willing to explore ways to improve his team.

Garcia was brought in as a free agent last year and led Tampa Bay to a division title. He was selected to play in the Pro Bowl for the fourth time.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Well the talking heads on NFL network are saying there is no bidding war.

Chevelle2
08-06-2008, 05:47 PM

But rather?

DonHutson
08-06-2008, 05:49 PM
but Thompson probably told Favre to keep the options open in the press so he could get the best deal, and I don't see why Favre would refuse to help out with that.

I'm sure not out of the goodness of his heart. Having two teams involved gives Favre a fallback if his preferred team starts talking about restructuring his deal. I have a feeling the Jets are just getting used by everybody.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 05:54 PM

But rather?

That both teams had made offers and that was where it was at. According to the reporter GB and Tampa had not even discussed the issue today.

BallHawk
08-06-2008, 05:57 PM

But rather?

That both teams had made offers and that was where it was at. According to the reporter GB and Tampa had not even discussed the issue today.

That conflicts with Bus Cook saying that a trade to Tampa could happen "in a few hours."

Oy. :?:

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 06:03 PM
None of it means anything....these guys are paid to just yack it up it seems. The NFL network must have a hundred videos concerning Favre all saying the same fucking thing. That's why I ditch cable for most of the year and only consider it when the Pack is going to play on ESPN. Just way to much wasted time there.

Fritz
08-06-2008, 06:21 PM
He'll end up playing cricket in India for a third round pick (in the cricket draft) in 2010.

Nobody knows any damn thing right now.

LEWCWA
08-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Funny, nobody wants Griese as the backup, in 2 years we will see that is who they have been starting. Just a different name on the Jersey!!

texaspackerbacker
08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Griese is a piece of crap.

I'll take Brohm and Flynn any day.

Somehow, I think Thompson thinks the same way.

The inclusion of Griese in the story diminishes the credibility of it.

mission
08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Funny, nobody wants Griese as the backup, in 2 years we will see that is who they have been starting. Just a different name on the Jersey!!

Now that's funny. :roll:

Shoal
08-06-2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.packerupdate.com/pus_news_briefs/

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Can Chad Pennington throw a ball over the heads of the linebackers?

I get the impression that he is done.

Packers4Ever
08-06-2008, 09:53 PM

Hey Shoal, welcome to PackerRats, where have you been
hiding? :wink: Be sure to come back and visit often, it's a pretty
good group here and most everyone tries to help
if you have a question.

Thanks for the 'flyer' you included, it's very interesting
reading, will be coming back to finish reading later.

swede
08-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Hey Shoal, welcome to PackerRats, where have you been
hiding? :wink: Be sure to come back and visit often, it's a pretty
good group here and most everyone tries to help
if you have a question.

Thanks for the 'flyer' you included, it's very interesting
reading, will be coming back to finish reading later.

We were all best friends and got together for sing-alongs and clambakes until the Favre Wars of 2008 split us up into the Hatfields and McCarthy's.