PDA

View Full Version : Favre wants to get to Bucs or Jets TC ASAP

motife
08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
watching the interview now on NFL Network. Says he wants to learn the system, get to know his teammates ASAP.

It's footage from WJTV's interview after he landed in Hattiesburg.

Says he knew going to GB was just a formality.

Bus Cooke said Favre has a preference between Bucs and Jets but won't talk about it.

Admitted Favre would like to play for the Vikes, but that's out of the question. "could have forced a trade or release to Minnesota but decided not to."

There is video here of Cooke. Favre's interview isn't posted yet :

http://www.wjtv.com/gulfcoastwest/jtv/news/video.html

BallHawk
08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
"could have forced a trade or release to Minnesota but decided not to."

I'd love to hear his explanation of how that would work. :roll:

Rastak
08-06-2008, 05:37 PM

Becoming the worlds biggest pain in the ass until Green Bay screamed "Fine, get the hell out of here and don't come back you bastard".

Seriously, he could have really egged on the fans to be a disruption. I don't know if it would have worked but it would have sucked for the Packers.

motife
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM

I would guess by not agreeing to a trade to anyone else, and demanding to attend Packers training camp until he was traded or released to the Vikes, while meanwhile he would purposely "bring a negative attitude into my (GB's) locker room" as McCarthy put it.

The Packers could trade him to another team, but if Favre refused to show up, how could that team agree to anything close to fair compensation?

The Packers would either have to pay him the $12 million and keep him on the roster or release him in that case. This WOULD have been an area where Goodell would step in.

Remember, Tagliabue stepped in when Terrell Owens refused to be traded to the Ravens, although that may be a special case because T.O.'s agent screwed up on a technicality.

boiga
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Becoming the worlds biggest pain in the ass until Green Bay screamed "Fine, get the hell out of here and don't come back you bastard".

Seriously, he could have really egged on the fans to be a disruption. I don't know if it would have worked but it would have sucked for the Packers.

I agree that Favre had the opportunity to act like a much bigger ass, but I really don't think he could have pulled it off. McCarthy is the only person left that seriously holds Brett accountable for anything. Once Brett was in that office, his bravado seemed to crumble. He got emotional, but M3 wouldn't let him off the hook. He was made to realize that he would betray everything he had accomplished over the last 16 years if he tried to burn all bridges.

Brett didn't have it in him to do that.

RIPackerFan
08-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Who knows what could have happened if Favre wanted to push the issue....but we saw the beginnings of the circus with Favre being there one day.

Imagine him there, every day. And while I don't think he would have been a pain, there is no doubt he would be showing every day why he is the better QB - causing a bigger riff in the lockerroom and the fans.

Jeez - all the players are bitching about the situation, and he didn't even go to one practice. Imagine what would have happened in the next game, if Arod played poorly and Favre played lights out. Think of all the questions....think of the booing.

While it may not have caused him to be released (though I do believe that TT would have cut him right before the season) - it would have made it impossible for the team to properly prepare.

And if you don't agree - just check some of the quotes from the players on what this past week was like and how they were ready for this to go away - imagine this going on for the entire training camp - but magnified by 2.

MTPackerfan
08-06-2008, 06:05 PM
watching the interview now on NFL Network. Says he wants to learn the system, get to know his teammates ASAP.

It's footage from WJTV's interview after he landed in Hattiesburg.

Says he knew going to GB was just a formality.

Bus Cooke said Favre has a preference between Bucs and Jets but won't talk about it.

Admitted Favre would like to play for the Vikes, but that's out of the question. "could have forced a trade or release to Minnesota but decided not to."

There is video here of Cooke. Favre's interview isn't posted yet :

http://www.wjtv.com/gulfcoastwest/jtv/news/video.html

Brett's interview doesn't quite jive with some of the things Buss said, which leads one to question some of the other things Buss said in the past: Case in point: Buss said the Packers didn't want to give Brett a chance to compete for the QB position but when the Reports asked Brett, he said that wasn't the case, then discussed the lack of trust between the pack and him

Rastak
08-06-2008, 06:12 PM

I agree that Favre had the opportunity to act like a much bigger ass, but I really don't think he could have pulled it off. McCarthy is the only person left that seriously holds Brett accountable for anything. Once Brett was in that office, his bravado seemed to crumble. He got emotional, but M3 wouldn't let him off the hook. He was made to realize that he would betray everything he had accomplished over the last 16 years if he tried to burn all bridges.

Brett didn't have it in him to do that.

Where did you pull that from? Did you hear he told McCarthy he was sorry and would do whatever he said? I didn't get that impression at all from McCarthy's press conference.

RashanGary
08-06-2008, 06:14 PM
If Favre wants to play he has to get in SOON.

I expect this thing to be over very shortly. I also expect Brett to have a bad year. Learning a new system is a hard thing to do.

DonHutson
08-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Could Favre have eventually forced a trade to Minnesota by being a pain in the ass and by agreeing to nothing else? Probably.

In the process he would've torpedoed what's left of his credibility as a leader and a teamate. And the Packers would've dragged things out probably until right before the opener v. Minnesota at least.

Again, Favre isn't doing us a favor, he just wants to get to camp sooner than later.

RIPackerFan
08-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Rastak - would you be happy with Garcia? I wouldn't be surprised to see Garcia get traded to the Vikings if Favre goes to Tampa. Do you think the Vikings would be interested?

Rastak
08-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Rastak - would you be happy with Garcia? I wouldn't be surprised to see Garcia get traded to the Vikings if Favre goes to Tampa. Do you think the Vikings would be interested?

I don't see them making a change now. They seem to like Ferotte but we'll see how it goes. He would be a good fit.

boiga
08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Where did you pull that from? Did you hear he told McCarthy he was sorry and would do whatever he said? I didn't get that impression at all from McCarthy's press conference.

I got it mostly from:

1. McCarthy mentioning how emotional an issue it was for Brett five or six times in the press conference.

2. Immediately upon leaving that meeting, Brett removed his objection to discussing a trade with the Jets or Bucs.

3. He agreed with everything McCarthy said about the impossibility of rejoining the team, despite repeatedly saying that was his first choice when he came back up north.

4. It lasted for four hours and they never got past the first question of whether Brett could commit to playing for the Packers. Brett didn't get anything he wanted out of that meeting and caved completely.

RIPackerFan
08-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Or you could think that the first question out of MM's mouth was - "Can you accept being a back-up to Aaron Rogers?"

If his answer was no - then that would be it.

We all think we know what went on....we don't.

And I do think he realized that if he tried to push the issue any more, that he would disrupt the team even more - and he did not want to do that - plus he wanted to get to his new team ASAP.

Rastak
08-06-2008, 06:25 PM

I got it mostly from:

1. McCarthy mentioning how emotional an issue it was for Brett five or six times in the press conference.

McCarthy tends to repeat himself and Favre cries more than Dick Vermeil and always has. This is not new.

2. Immediately upon leaving that meeting, Brett removed his objection to discussing a trade with the Jets or Bucs.

After 4 hours it was clear their discussions were going nowhere and he wants to play this year

3. He agreed with everything McCarthy said about the impossibility of rejoining the team, despite repeatedly saying that was his first choice when he came back up north.

What can I say, he pretty much hates the current management and decided after a face to face meeting playing for these people was not palatable to him

4. It lasted for four hours and they never got past the first question of whether Brett could commit to playing for the Packers. Brett didn't get anything he wanted out of that meeting and caved completely.

Comon, how can you stand there (or sit) and tell me you knew exactly what his objectives were? He stated after the meeting he figured heading up there was a formality.

Fritz
08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm on with Boiga. I think he's been posting some intelligent analysis.

Sorry, Ras. AYour question is pertinent but I think Boiga answered it.

boiga
08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
We all think we know what went on....we don't..

If both Brett and McCarthy agree that the sticking point was Brett's inability to get over past events and commit fully to the team, why do you doubt them?

Edit:
Comon, how can you stand there (or sit) and tell me you knew exactly what his objectives were? He stated after the meeting he figured heading up there was a formality. I can't state anything with certainty, but when he decided to come up to Green Bay, his stated aim was to either force the Packers to let him compete for the job or trade/release him to vikings.

Instead, he came up and gave in to the Packers choice of trade partners while agreeing to cooperate fully. How can that not be read as caving?

RIPackerFan
08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Sorry - if I am going to look for someone's opinion whose judgement isn't clouded by their underlying feelings toward the Packers Mgmt or Favre, I am going to look at the guy whose favorite team isn't the Packers.

Us - Packer fans are way too emotional to be purely rational in this matter.

RIPackerFan
08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Boiga - we don't know how it was said.

Jeez - I can take any conversation and turn it inside out - and get everyone to agree with it.

All we know is that Favre and MM could not get to an agreement - and that under the current situation (whatever that is - another unknown) - that Favre couldn't trust the organization to make the proper decision.

I truly believe that it came down to - "Can you live with being Aaron Roger's back-up" and I think that in Favre's mind, there is no way he could lose an open competition to Arod. Therefore, he probably said no - and MM said why - and he explained that if Arod would "beat" him in a competition, then it wouldn't have been a fair competition and that Mgmt is screwing him - that is probably the emotional part.

Regardless of whether this is right or wrong - its a possibility and would not mean that Favre "caved" under MM. Just that MM was not going to bring a guy on the team who could not accept being number 2.

motife
08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080806/PKR01/80806064/1058

HATTIESBURG, Miss -- It’s definite. Brett Favre wants to play, but not in Green Bay.

Favre, his wife, Deanna, and his agent, Bus Cook, flew back into Pine Belt Regional Airport this afternoon after meeting for the past three days with officials from the Green Bay Packers, for whom Favre has quarterbacked the last 16 seasons.

The talks ended with a seemingly definite conclusion to his record-setting career with the Packers.

It is expected that he will be traded to another club later today.

“I was asked the question if I was totally committed to the Packers,” Favre said. “I know it’s been documented and I posed the same question back to them. I don’t think either side could totally commit after all that’s happened. Because the bottom line in all of this is playing football. And I‘ve always been committed to my job. I know people say ‘You need to put the personal issues aside.’ And I agree, but I couldn’t do that.

“On their part, they obviously had taken the stance that at some point in the offseason that they were going to move on, and that’s OK. But they sort of changed that stance a little bit when I got back up there. We sort of figured that would happen. Otherwise, they would have released me. They didn’t want to do that, which I don’t blame them, but, you know, I really didn’t see, as much history as I’ve had in Green Bay and success, I really didn’t see the positives that could come out of it. I felt like it was always going to be a distraction. It’s best that they had a clear-cut path that they were going to go on. And if I’m going to play, try to play elsewhere, and see what happens.”

Cook said the Packers just didn’t want Favre back.

“Bottom line, he wanted to go back,” Cook said. “He was committed to play football. Was he committed to playing with the Packers? He was more committed to playing for the Packers than they were committed to having him. There was zero commitment to having him back. They didn’t want him back.”

Trade talks are ongoing.

Cook said Favre’s first choice would have been the Minnesota Vikings, but he admitted that won't happen because the Vikings, like the Packers, are in the NFC North Division.

“As far as I know, we’ve talked to Tampa and the Jets,” Favre said. “I don’t think anything has changed, at least considering those guys. We’ll see what happens.”

For now, Favre’s status is in limbo.

“We’ll talk to Green Bay and see what they worked out with Tampa Bay or possibly the Jets, but they can trade a player without him really approving of it,” Cook said.

Favre just hopes something comes about soon.

“I’d like to say I feel pretty good, but at the rate I’m going, I don’t know what I’ll be doing,” Favre said about his future. “I know Bus made the comment the other day that I may be the starter at Oak Grove (High School, where he works out). If I don’t get to working out and doing something, I don’t even know if I can do that.”

Favre added: “It’s in everyone’s best interest to do it quicker than later. I won’t say we’re running out of time, but I need to get into a camp somewhere.”

For all his difficulties with Packers management, Favre still feels good about Green Bay.

“The fans in Green Bay were awesome. Green Bay has been awesome to me and my family. They have good players and good coaches, but it’s time to move on,” he said.

Alan Hinton writes for the Hattiesburg (Miss.) American

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Sweet mother of tears you guys just keep rubbing this into the ground.

boiga
08-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Boiga - we don't know how it was said.

Jeez - I can take any conversation and turn it inside out - and get everyone to agree with it.

All we know is that Favre and MM could not get to an agreement - and that under the current situation (whatever that is - another unknown) - that Favre couldn't trust the organization to make the proper decision.

I truly believe that it came down to - "Can you live with being Aaron Roger's back-up" and I think that in Favre's mind, there is no way he could lose an open competition to Arod. Therefore, he probably said no - and MM said why - and he explained that if Arod would "beat" him in a competition, then it wouldn't have been a fair competition and that Mgmt is screwing him - that is probably the emotional part.

Regardless of whether this is right or wrong - its a possibility and would not mean that Favre "caved" under MM. Just that MM was not going to bring a guy on the team who could not accept being number 2.

You have a point, RIP. It's just that I take McCarthy at his word that they seriously never got around to discussing what form a competition would take. I agree with your analysis that all sides understood nothing good would come from a competition because of the lack of trust.

But, the end result was that the Packers got everything they wanted from Brett, given his desire to play this year. Brett simply wasted a trip up north. He could have agreed to the Jets or Bucs two weeks ago and not have missed a day of Training Camp.

RIPackerFan
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
To be honest - the Pack didn't get what they wanted. What is in the best interest of the Pack is for Favre to re-retire.

I truly look at this as a compromise.

Rastak
08-06-2008, 06:53 PM

It's cool. He has good posts, I agree. I just don't agree at all with what he directly said, however. When meeting with McCarthy his bravado faded. How can anyone not there say that?

digitaldean
08-06-2008, 08:57 PM
“Bottom line, he wanted to go back,” Cook said. “He was committed to play football. Was he committed to playing with the Packers? He was more committed to playing for the Packers than they were committed to having him. There was zero commitment to having him back. They didn’t want him back.”

Translation between his quote and McCarthy's presser on Tues.?

Packers wanted Favre but only as a backup/mentor for Rodgers. Brett wanted to play, but only as the starter.

I like Cook's quote on they could have forced his release but decided not to. He must have been watching that in flight movie "Jerry Maguire" for inspiration.

Gunakor
08-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Translation between his quote and McCarthy's presser on Tues.?

Packers wanted Favre but only as a backup/mentor for Rodgers. Brett wanted to play, but only as the starter.

I like Cook's quote on they could have forced his release but decided not to. He must have been watching that in flight movie "Jerry Maguire" for inspiration.

When Favre himself was asked if the Packers had zero committment to him, he responded "Well, I wouldn't say that" or something to that effect.

Fritz
08-06-2008, 09:00 PM

It's cool. He has good posts, I agree. I just don't agree at all with what he directly said, however. When meeting with McCarthy his bravado faded. How can anyone not there say that?

Ras, you are clearly not keeping up with my many insightful posts, one of which explained how easy it is for me to figure out what's really going on and assigning blame without even needing to see the evidence.

I do it all the time.

pbmax
08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
McCarthy said they never got to discussing the competition or hypothetical depth chart situations. So to say Favre wants to be starter, McCarthy said no, is reading something into this that we don't yet know.

McGinn clearly felt the Packers didn't want Favre back at all, but that might be simplistic given what McCarthy said he was prepared to discuss.

Its entirely possible as Dean posts, that Favre felt there was no chance any competition was going to be fair, but we don't know for certain Favre felt it or that McCarthy would have played that card.

Cook talking about the Packers displaying zero commitment could easily be his perception that his client should have been shown the commitment of being named the starter.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Why is this trade taking so long?

pbmax
08-06-2008, 09:12 PM
The tubes are slow tonight.

mission
08-06-2008, 09:23 PM
The tubes are slow tonight.

Like those drive-thru bank tubes?

those things are awesome.

Rastak
08-06-2008, 10:12 PM

Ras, you are clearly not keeping up with my many insightful posts, one of which explained how easy it is for me to figure out what's really going on and assigning blame without even needing to see the evidence.

I do it all the time.

Yea, I'm sorry. I try and keep up with Carnac but since Carson left I've been a failure...... :lol: