PDA

View Full Version : Why Favre Will Suck This Year - If He Plays A Whole Season

Fritz
08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Here's why:

"It’s best that they had a clear cut path that they were going to go on. And if I’m going to play, try to play elsewhere, and see what happens.”

Favre made similar comments both before he left Green Bay and right after he landed in Hattiesburg -- that he's eager to be traded so he can get in to practice -- wherever that is.

“I’d like to say I feel pretty good, but at the rate I’m going, I don’t know what I’ll be doing,” Favre told The American about his future. “I know Bus (agent Bus Cook) made the comment the other day that I may be the starter at Oak Grove. If I don’t get to working out and doing something, I don’t even know if I can do that.”

Opinions?

Gunakor
08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
He'll be fine as long as he goes to a team that has a few weapons and a descent coach. He's been doing this for 17 years in the pros. He's gonna have to learn a new system and new terminology, but it's not like he has to relearn the game. He'll be fine, and I'll root for him to do well wherever he goes - except the Vikings and the Bears. If he's a Buc I hope they meet the Packers in the NFC Championship game. If he's a Jet then I hope they meet the Packers in the Super Bowl. And in either case, I'd hope he finishes the game with the dirtiest fucking jersey on his team, while watching Aaron Rodgers hoist the Halas/Lombardi trophies. Eh, one can hope... Neither scenario is very probable, either for the Packers, the Jets, OR the Bucs. But it would be fun.

Fritz
08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I've agreed with much of what you've posted before, but not now. There are too many factors against Favre. First, his mindset - see above, and see also MM's comments, which suggest Favre's coming back due to either family pressure or revenge against TT (I've given my reasons for believing so on other threads).

Also, as I've posted elsewhere, Favre himself has said - repeatedly - that to perform at a high level he needs to do the offseason stuff in a serious way that he has not this year.

Finally, Favre is 38 and likes his favorite receivers. Who's he going to bond with in four weeks in Tampa?

I see a rough season ahead for Mr. Favre. That's not to say I won't root for him - I just don't think it's going to go well this year.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 06:48 PM
We'll see how it goes....but the longer this drags out the harder it will be for #4 to be effective on any team. If the Yuks running game is any decent...and it should be then he has a pretty good chance. Doesn't Methuselah still play WR for the Yuks? They could bond in the ice bath.

Lurker64
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Tampa Bay is a team that doesn't need their offense to do a lot in order to win games. If Favre goes to Tampa, he goes to a team with a good running game, a decent OL, suspect WRs, but a defense that basically only requires the offense to score 17-24 points to win games.

Favre's individual numbers might be poor this year in TB, but the team will probably do fine.

RIPackerFan
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Well - if that is true - than Tampa may be the best spot. With the 3rd best defense in the league, he wouldn't be required to do too much - and can learn on the go.

Also, after last year (when everyone counted him out) - I wouldn't bet against him.

The Shadow
08-06-2008, 06:54 PM
An in-house shrink might have been a better investment than the live-in 'core' personal trainer.

Chevelle2
08-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't believe Favre's heart and soul are really in it any more - and MM saw Favre struggling with that last year already, and it was taking its toll on Favre. Favre spoke of this quite a bit at his retirement press conference - the need to be completely, fully committed - that burning desire - and that consequent requirement that one translates this desire into that late-Thursday-night-film-room stuff - the comment MM made at his press conference.

My belief is that Favre really does not have that any more, and MM saw that, though he did not want to disrespect Favre and say that to the media. So he said he thought Favre was coming back for "emotional" reasons.

It is my belief that Brett Favre will not have a very good year. For the reason stated above, and when you add to that the fact he hasn't done the grueling offseason stuff he has said an older player needs to do to be successful, and the fact he's got one training camp to get familiar with the system and the players, I think you have a recipe for a poor year. Throw in a new city, new weather, new (lesser) receivers, new coaching staff, new (lesser) running game, new media, new blocking scheme....Ive also heard the players in TB really back Garcia, and Favre being there may cause a rift. JMO.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I think Favre is primed for success with TAmpa, they have some good offensive weapons, and the coach and offense suit him.

BTW, one point that hasn't been emphasized: The PAckers are being damn generous with Favre in trading him to Tampa, they are a good team in the NFC.

DonHutson
08-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Playing catch with a bunch of high schoolers is not the same as busting your ass with a trainer all off-season. He'll be playing somewhere he doesn't really want to be. He'll have to work harder at the mental aspects of the game, which is what he said has burned him out. Showing up the Packers will fade as motivation sooner than later. 38 years catches up to everyone eventually. Being Brett Favre in Green Bay was hard? Fans forgave a lot of mistakes in Green Bay over the years. Being the savior in Tampa, or God forbid New York will be worse.

There's lots of reasons why Favre could (will) struggle elsewhere.

HowardRoark
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I finally had the time to watch all the McCarthy Press Conferences of the past few days. These, combined with the Favre Hattiesburg tarmac interview leads me to believe that there is no way Brett has any mental energy to go into a NEW team and do what he needs to do to be successful.

If he is successful, I will be even more impressed with the guy. But by and large, I agree with the above post.

That McCarthy Press Conference was brutal; flashbacks of my first big break up. Regurgitation of stuff over and over and over…………

Here are some good memories, better times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEe1f74vC0

mission
08-06-2008, 09:11 PM
That McCarthy Press Conference was brutal; flashbacks of my first big break up. Regurgitation of stuff over and over and over…………

If I had a nickel for everytime Ive said "god dammit, you've already said that 30 times!!" ........

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:13 PM

If I had a nickel for everytime Ive said "god dammit, you've already said that 30 times!!" ........

Then why the fuck can't you get it right!!!! :wink:

MJZiggy
08-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Reporters can be a little dense...sometimes you can repeat yourself 25 times and they still ask the same question again, thinking you will answer differently.

mission
08-06-2008, 09:19 PM

hahahhaha exactly

HowardRoark
08-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Reporters can be a little dense...sometimes you can repeat yourself 25 times and they still ask the same question again, thinking you will answer differently.

I think McCarthy did a great job in the press conference. By regurgitation, I was referring to what the meeting with Favre must have been like; basically the Packers are breaking up with Favre. McCarthy had to listen to all the emotion that comes with that from Favre for six hours.

I am not ripping Brett when I type that, it is what it is. Was it 16 years? That’s a lot of time.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:25 PM

hahahhaha exactly

Followed by (insert object) flying at your head!!

MJZiggy
08-06-2008, 09:33 PM

I think McCarthy did a great job in the press conference. By regurgitation, I was referring to what the meeting with Favre must have been like; basically the Packers are breaking up with Favre. McCarthy had to listen to all the emotion that comes with that from Favre for six hours.

I am not ripping Brett when I type that, it is what it is. Was it 16 years? That’s a lot of time.

Well, to be fair, when asked about the length of the meeting, M3's comment was "Have you ever talked to Brett Favre?"

HowardRoark
08-06-2008, 09:40 PM

Well, to be fair, when asked about the length of the meeting, M3's comment was "Have you ever talked to Brett Favre?"

That was pretty good. Made me laugh.

swede
08-06-2008, 10:16 PM
In the same vein, a local radio announcer broke me up the other day when he stated that Favre doesn't need reporters at press conferences. And he proceeded to imitate Favre's drawl in press conference mode, mimicking his tendency to ask his own questions:

Do I want to play? I don't know. Maybe. I guess yeah.

Could I play? Sure. Why not? I can still throw. I know that.

Who do I want to play for? A lot depends. You know.