PDA

View Full Version : Taking The High Road

The Shadow
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I believe that Mike McCarthy, Mark Murphy, Bob Harlan, the Packer board of directors - and most especially, Ted Thompson - deserve a tremendous amount of credit for taking the high road during FavreGate.
In watching the various interviews, especially McCarthy's Tuesday press conference, I sense that below the surface there are many, many things that could be said in response to the nasty claims from the Favre camp, but are repressed. It's tough, for example, to hold back from a response when having your administration being called liars, but McCarthy chose to act like an adult.
However, clues to why the Packers were no longer interested in Favre were there.
Example : when McCarthy mentioned asking Favre if he would be in the 'quarterbacks' room' (film study) on Thursday nights studying film on the next opponent. How many times in recent years was Favre NOT preparing properly?
I think the ringing silence of the Packer players when it came to Favre's return is very telling.
Murphy, in my opinion, WAS offering a bribe of sorts to Favre to stay retired, but I see that as just a very expensive olive branch. It seems to indicate that the Packers were willing to spend millions to allow Favre to save face; to not have to go thru facing the fact that he had simply outworn his welcome.

Thompson, the architect of the team that gave Favre a golden opportunity to win the Super Bowl he wants, has, in my opinion, showed the greatest grace under pressure. Despite being pummelled, insulted, and demonized by many 'fans' for simply doing his job, he has refused to seek a spotlight to tell HIS side of the story. I'd love to know more about the many, many times Packer planning has been held hostage by Favre, as well as the many times since his retirement management has bent over backwards to appease his whims.
To my knowledge, he's never rightfully blasted Favre for his very public meddling with team decisions. Favre was upset because Thompson hired McCarthy over his crony, Mariucci?? Favre upset because the team wouldn't pursue Moss (who only wanted to use the Pack as a pawn, anyway)???
Even after all of this, Thompson still held the door open as long as possible.

I think Thompson and the Packers have earned a tremendous amount of respect around the league, and I think it is well deserved.
I am extremely proud of them.

Freak Out
08-06-2008, 06:54 PM
They are paid professionals (well paid) and acted accordingly and have done a pretty damn good job along the way. That is saying something in the times we find ourselves in. Was Harlan even a part of this latest carnival? I thought he was retired?

GBRulz
08-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Bob Harlan has nothing to do with this.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Example : when McCarthy mentioned asking Favre if he would be in the 'quarterbacks' room' (film study) on Thursday nights studying film on the next opponent. How many times in recent years was Favre NOT preparing properly?

I don't believe this was said to imply Favre wasn't. In the past it may have been an issue (like 10-12 years ago), but not in recent years. In fact, there have been articles in recent years that said Favre was in the film room a lot. Maybe too much--which might have been part of his mental burnout.

The Shadow
08-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Do you honestly believe Bob Harlan was not asked for his input?

BZnDallas
08-06-2008, 07:05 PM
sorry if somebody already said this, i haven't taken the time to read everybodys post when i got home from work today... i find it funny brett waving to fans and saying he "wanted to play for the packers all along" up until his meeting with mccarthy... and when mccarthy comes out and said he wouldn't allow brett to play b/c his mind wasn't right... then brett has the audacity to come out and talk about how the relationship has been damaged due to the lies the packers have said earlier in the offseason? and that he just couldn't let that go...

my how the stories change... does he really think the packer faithful are going to fall for this shit?... i'm sorry to see him go, it was hella fun while it lasted, but good ridance (can't believe i'm saying that)... let the season begin!!... GO AR!!!

and one other thing, if that sorry f'er ends up wearing fag purple (sorry ras), i've got one thing to say to him... MADDEN CURSE BITCH!! (not that i'd ever root for someone to get injured) lmfao

GBRulz
08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm sure alot of people were asked for their opinion. But you act as if Harlan was behind this, where you are simply speculating that he was. That's all I'm saying.

The Shadow
08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm sure alot of people were asked for their opinion. But you act as if Harlan was behind this, where you are simply speculating that he was. That's all I'm saying.

Not 'behind this' - simply consulted, out of respect.

Gunakor
08-06-2008, 07:10 PM
sorry if somebody already said this, i haven't taken the time to read everybodys post when i got home from work today... i find it funny brett waving to fans and saying he "wanted to play for the packers all along" up until his meeting with mccarthy... and when mccarthy comes out and said he wouldn't allow brett to play b/c his mind wasn't right... then brett has the audacity to come out and talk about how the relationship has been damaged due to the lies the packers have said earlier in the offseason? and that he just couldn't let that go...

my how the stories change... does he really think the packer faithful are going to fall for this shit?... i'm sorry to see him go, it was hella fun while it lasted, but good ridance (can't believe i'm saying that)... let the season begin!!... GO AR!!!

and one other thing, if that sorry f'er ends up wearing fag purple (sorry ras), i've got one thing to say to him... MADDEN CURSE BITCH!! (not that i'd ever root for someone to get injured) lmfao

Yeah, but he walked away for the right reasons. He walked away because he felt that was best for the team. You can't be angry with him for doing what he felt was fair and in the best interest of his former teammates that he still cares cares about and hopes will do well. I thank him for that. He allowed this whole ordeal to end on a fairly positive note. Well, at least compared to other outcomes.

BZnDallas
08-06-2008, 07:13 PM
i see where you're coming from gunakor... i'm just tired of the two face lies... hes mad at the packer organization for thier lies yet hes spewing bullshit right back... but i do agree... it could have gotten a lot worse

packinpatland
08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
While I can agree with most of the original post....I'm not sure TT took the 'high road'. The allegations about tampering..... that was taking the low road, in my opinion.

Bretsky
08-06-2008, 07:18 PM
While I can agree with most of the original post....I'm not sure TT took the 'high road'. The allegations about tampering..... that was taking the low road, in my opinion.

Da Ted is flawless

Gunakor
08-06-2008, 07:18 PM

As I said in another thread, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

The fact is it may have looked like tampering. I think TT would have been even more wrong to not act proactively when he smelled something funny. If it looks like tampering you respond to it as if it were tampering. If you are wrong, no big deal. If you are right, you've done a great thing for your football team. I don't think those charges were filed in spite, rather as a response to something TT saw or heard.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM

Do you think Favre discussed playing in MN in his conversation with Childress & Bevell?

mission
08-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Uh ...

Those are explicit, drawn out rules and guidelines as outlined and enforced by the NFL.

The NFL does not govern feelings and emotions, however ...

TT simply did his job with that. What if it would have turned into something MUCH MORE and the Packers never reported it ... wouldn't have a leg to stand on in going back. If TT had information and didnt report it, I'm sure that's also highly frowned upon by the NFL. Just like when colleges will report *to* the NCAA recruiting violation infractions. It's like turning yourself in in that case, but mandatory ...

It's called due diligence and part of TT's job description.

That's what he gets paid to do.

Favre gets paid to throw footballs. Not talk to the media and stir shit up that really wasn't necessary for the whole world to be engulfed in. That's not the high road.

I'm pretty sure TT did nothing outside of what was demanded of him from a media perspective (as far as what he said publically). You can question his private conversations or motivates or character or whateve (and that's fine) but from an action standpoint, I dunno ...

The blind ignorance in this forum is at times astounding ... frustrating as hell.

I wonder what some of the wonderlics are in here ... lol

RashanGary
08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I'll say this, the Packers were smarter. They didn't come out and call anyone anything but they laid the groundwork for people to put it together themselves. Brett name called and shot back. I don't think he did himself any favors. For a guy as popular as he, this thing sure didn't go his way.

packinpatland
08-06-2008, 09:08 PM

Uh ...

Those are explicit, drawn out rules and guidelines as outlined and enforced by the NFL.

TT simply did his job with that. What if it would have turned into something MUCH MORE and the Packers never reported it ... wouldn't have a leg to stand on in going back. If TT had information and didnt report it, I'm sure that's also highly frowned upon by the NFL. Just like when colleges will report *to* the NCAA recruiting violation infractions. It's like turning yourself in in that case, but mandatory ...

Favre gets paid to throw footballs. Not talk to the media and stir shit up that really wasn't necessary for the whole world to be engulfed in. That's not the high road.

I'm pretty sure TT did nothing outside of what was demanded of him from a media perspective (as far as what he said publically). You can question his private conversations or motivates or character or whateve (and that's fine) but from an action standpoint, I dunno ...

The blind ignorance in this forum is at times astounding ... frustrating as hell.

Mr Goodell agrees........... :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Uh ...

What the findings were is not relevant to taking the low road. TT did his job.

If he did something wrong, mr. goodell woulda fined us/him/taken away picks.

mission
08-06-2008, 09:14 PM

Uh ...

It's not that they tampered or didn't tamper ... it's that it's just as "UNLAWFUL" *NOT* to report information as it is to be a party involved in the said information.

So do us a favor...

Read my post again ... REAAAAAAALLLLL REAAAAAAAL SLOOOOOOOOWLY.

Then read Ty's ...

Then read this one again ...

Then shut your computer off for awhile and come back tomorrow.

RashanGary
08-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Here is what I think the Packers did right:

1. They filed tampering charges. Most fans would then understand why a direct release did not make sense and they didn't have much explaining to do when ESPN was running their "free Brett" campaign.

2. They set out a timeline and let people draw their own conclusions rather than saying anything bad about Brett. People put it together that he was a waffler and many thought he was dicking the Packers around

3. They came out and didn't insult him but said his head was not where it needed to be adn emotionally he was in a tough spot. It sounds like they're trying to be gentle but it puts in peoples minds that he's a nut case.

All in all the Packers never came out and took shots but they definitly laid the groundwork for poeple to put it together themselves. Ridding themselves of Brett was a near impossible thing to do but somehow they managed to do it with very little backlash. Bye Brett. Take your traitorous, emotionally unstable, waffling ass to Tampa :) But the Packers never said that ;)

pbmax
08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
What pod person is this pretending to be Bretsky? :lol:

Da Ted is flawless

RashanGary
08-06-2008, 09:20 PM
I do think all of the things are true that people think of Brett negatively right now, but I am more impressed with how the Packers presented it without coming off as the bad guys. Favre had a lot of good will built up and cutting through the BS and showing people reality was a very hard thing to do. They did it. I'm impressed.

Bretsky
08-06-2008, 09:25 PM
What pod person is this pretending to be Bretsky? :lol:

Da Ted is flawless

Ah, don't worry pb.....it was me....and I was laughing as I typed that

pbmax
08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
The tampering charge could simply have been used to turn off or slow down the information traveling from purple pride land usa. McCarthy said they never believed Favre really wanted back in, and if that's your midset, then looking for an instigator when he changed his mind would be natural.

The Packers were forced to do a number of things they don't often do. They released info on background (Glazer, McGinn, Wilde and Schefter) or leak and had to comment on what were essentially ongoing negotiations. Thompson publicly stated the facts as he saw them about the March unretirement. They also needed to respond to leaks (the licensing deal/bribery).

So the Packers behaved as they needed to, but they didn't seem to make it personal or vindicative. They acquitted themselves well. But they did make a fundamental miscalculation when they had themselves convinced that he was going to ultimately decide not to play.

Bretsky
08-06-2008, 09:30 PM
The tampering charge could simply have been used to turn off or slow down the information traveling from purple pride land usa. McCarthy said they never believed Favre really wanted back in, and if that's your midset, then looking for an instigator when he changed his mind would be natural.

The Packers were forced to do a number of things they don't often do. They released info on background (Glazer, McGinn, Wilde and Schefter) or leak and hand to comment on what were essentially ongoing negotiations. Thompson publicly stated the facts as he saw them about the March unretirement. They also needed to respond to leaks (the licensing deal/bribery).

So the Packers behaved as they needed to, but they didn't seem to make it personal or vindicative. They acquitted themselves well. But they did make a fundamental miscalculation when they had themselves convinced that he was going to ultimately decide not to play.

It was great PR and I mean that sincerely; Favre could learn from their tactfulness. I wonder if that yahoo they hired from the political realm taught them a few things. A timeline.......brilliant

pbmax
08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
The M3 press conference was pure Fleischer, answer all questions on a topic the same way, rephrased. M3 was even joking about it during the press conference.

It was great PR and I mean that sincerely; Favre could learn from their tactfulness. I wonder if that yahoo they hired from the political realm taught them a few things. A timeline.......brilliant

Bretsky
08-06-2008, 09:42 PM
The M3 press conference was pure Fleischer, answer all questions on a topic the same way, rephrased. M3 was even joking about it during the press conference.

I think MM is a natural and I respect him more after watching the press conference. If MM was in charge of this whole gig it would have been resolved long ago IMO

swede
08-06-2008, 09:55 PM

That was a brilliant move that stopped all of the "personal" phone calls to Brad Childress and forestalled any further attempts by Minnesota to interfere in the situation. TT knew that Goodell would find for the Vikings in public but tear the Vikings a new one in private.

packinpatland
08-07-2008, 06:41 AM
[quote=packinpatland]While I can agree with most of the original post....I'm not sure TT took the 'high road'. The allegations about tampering..... that was taking the low road, in my opinion.

That was a brilliant move that stopped all of the "personal" phone calls to Brad Childress and forestalled any further attempts by Minnesota to interfere in the situation. TT knew that Goodell would find for the Vikings in public but tear the Vikings a new one in private.

You're as bad as the media......reporting something that you have no idea if it actually happened.

mission
08-07-2008, 06:59 AM
[quote=packinpatland]While I can agree with most of the original post....I'm not sure TT took the 'high road'. The allegations about tampering..... that was taking the low road, in my opinion.

You're as bad as the media......reporting something that you have no idea if it actually happened.

A day later and you still don't realize YOU ARE WRONG?

Phone calls happened. That's all that was reported. It's league policy to report such activities given the situation.

The commish ruled that the calls would warrant no discipline.

We know the calls happened. Everyone knows the calls happened.

Why are you so daft that even in this apples vs oranges week we've had, you choose to argue grapes?

It's not applicable.

One more time --

Calls happened, they need to be reported. The league looked into it, decided against action.

Pretty simple.

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 07:09 AM

You're as bad as the media......reporting something that you have no idea if it actually happened.Brett feely admists to calling Brad Childress.

packinpatland
08-07-2008, 08:21 AM

A day later and you still don't realize YOU ARE WRONG?

Phone calls happened. That's all that was reported. It's league policy to report such activities given the situation.

The commish ruled that the calls would warrant no discipline.

We know the calls happened. Everyone knows the calls happened.

Why are you so daft that even in this apples vs oranges week we've had, you choose to argue grapes?

It's not applicable.

One more time --

Calls happened, they need to be reported. The league looked into it, decided against action.

Pretty simple.

This is all fine......what I'm saying is, don't 'report' this: but tear the Vikings a new one in private. , as actually happening when there's no evidence that it did.

prsnfoto
08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
I believe that Mike McCarthy, Mark Murphy, Bob Harlan, the Packer board of directors - and most especially, Ted Thompson - deserve a tremendous amount of credit for taking the high road during FavreGate.
In watching the various interviews, especially McCarthy's Tuesday press conference, I sense that below the surface there are many, many things that could be said in response to the nasty claims from the Favre camp, but are repressed. It's tough, for example, to hold back from a response when having your administration being called liars, but McCarthy chose to act like an adult.
However, clues to why the Packers were no longer interested in Favre were there.
I think the ringing silence of the Packer players when it came to Favre's return is very telling.
Murphy, in my opinion, WAS offering a bribe of sorts to Favre to stay retired, but I see that as just a very expensive olive branch. It seems to indicate that the Packers were willing to spend millions to allow Favre to save face; to not have to go thru facing the fact that he had simply outworn his welcome.

Thompson, the architect of the team that gave Favre a golden opportunity to win the Super Bowl he wants, has, in my opinion, showed the greatest grace under pressure. Despite being pummelled, insulted, and demonized by many 'fans' for simply doing his job, he has refused to seek a spotlight to tell HIS side of the story. I'd love to know more about the many, many times Packer planning has been held hostage by Favre, as well as the many times since his retirement management has bent over backwards to appease his whims.
To my knowledge, he's never rightfully blasted Favre for his very public meddling with team decisions. Favre was upset because Thompson hired McCarthy over his crony, Mariucci?? Favre upset because the team wouldn't pursue Moss (who only wanted to use the Pack as a pawn, anyway)???
Even after all of this, Thompson still held the door open as long as possible.

I think Thompson and the Packers have earned a tremendous amount of respect around the league, and I think it is well deserved.
I am extremely proud of them.

MM stated many times last year that Favre spent more time preparing for games and watching film that he and his coaching staff did going back to the complex after a game on Sunday and watching film for several hours get your shit straight you are a hater and always have been thats fine but don't spread lies moron.

prsnfoto
08-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I do think all of the things are true that people think of Brett negatively right now, but I am more impressed with how the Packers presented it without coming off as the bad guys. Favre had a lot of good will built up and cutting through the BS and showing people reality was a very hard thing to do. They did it. I'm impressed.

Now if only you(JH) could somehow see the playing field this year then TT would be my HERO! :( :(

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
“No way,” one source familiar with the GM’s and coach’s thinking said on Tuesday. “Not with the way he keeps opening his mouth and trashing everybody. We keep biting our tongues and trying to take the high road, and every time he goes into a meeting and they agree to keep it confidential, he goes running to the media and rips them in the press."

Do they all keep tabs on what's written on this site?