PDA

View Full Version : What if a trade goes through and Brett retires in a month?

mission
08-06-2008, 08:20 PM
So let's say this trade goes through. We get a fourth with a second escalator along with Griese for Favre ...

Griese rents a little condo (do they have those?) in Green Bay, Brett does the same in Tampa ...

4 weeks later, nothing is going well for Brett, the "get back at TT" fire has dissipated (as some of you suggest) and Brett wants to hang it up.

Do we get to keep the 4th? Griese?

How does that work? Precedent?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
We already discussed this in regards to plummer.

The pack will of course structure a deal that works for both sides.

mission
08-06-2008, 08:24 PM

I missed that one.

When you say works for both sides... what does that mean for a traded player who *does* want to still play (griese in this casE)? They are retained obviously ? ... punishment for a lack of pre-trade player research/discussion?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 08:40 PM

I missed that one.

When you say works for both sides... what does that mean for a traded player who *does* want to still play (griese in this casE)? They are retained obviously ? ... punishment for a lack of pre-trade player research/discussion?

I'm guessing there would be several contigencies. Let's say we get a pick and a player. If brett was to retire we would probably retain the player and give a pick back...something low for griese. Or, maybe we don't give the pick to them, but they pick up part of his salary.

Who knows how they will structure it...but, i guarantee that is being discussed...and i dont' think brett would retire...that would make him look even dumber than he does right now.

All this aggravation and grief for nothing....since he clearly wants to play.

mission
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
True. But he also doesnt seem so stable in his stance either.

What happens if he just builds no chemistry or his receivers are worse than he thought or he doesnt get a private hummer limo ride to practice every day ... ?

But obviously every scenario would be worked out.

Really, I love Brett and wish all this shit wouldnt have happened. I really dont want him to look any worse in anyone's eyes. Especially my own.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Like i said...they will have this sorta stuff written into the deal. I wouldn't worry about it.

With plummer..they would up giving up a lesser pick.

mission
08-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Like i said...they will have this sorta stuff written into the deal. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not worried about it.

So, how's the kids? :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 08:49 PM

Kid's? I'm a bit slow....3 hour job interview...brain is a bit toasted.

pbmax
08-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Ty is right, it would be conditional draft choices the higher is earned by the Packers if Favre is on the roster for x number of weeks or something like that. Drops to a lower pick if not.

As for Favre, his signing bonus has mostly been earned since he will be in the seventh year of a ten year deal and the signing bonus wasn't a record breaker. I seem to remember there might be 1.4 million to recover should a team need to do that.

If the signing bonus is earned at the same rate as it accrues to the salary cap though, then the the new team would not have a financial recourse.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Ty is right,

Is there a sweeter phrase in the english language...i think not. :wink:

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2008, 08:56 PM
and you hear it so rarely that it keeps its novelty and freshness.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
and you hear it so rarely that it keeps its novelty and freshness.

Touche.

I seem to hear it less frequently from the opposite sex.

mission
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM

3 hours? damn... better not let them get a hair follicle.

It was just you and I in the thread and it seemed kind of "done" ... so I thought we could just, you know ... chat. :P

Rastak
08-06-2008, 09:12 PM

WTF are you talking about? If he retires four weeks AFTER the trade the Packers don't do a damn thing. It's over for them.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:14 PM

WTF are you talking about? If he retires four weeks AFTER the trade the Packers don't do a damn thing. It's over for them.

Wrong. See plummer. They readjusted the compensation.

The pack and whoever will have that contigency in the trade.

Rastak
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM

The trade was contigent on him reporting and passing his physical. He NEVER REPORTED.

They renegotiated the deal because he NEVER REPORTED.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:21 PM

It was just you and I in the thread and it seemed kind of "done" ... so I thought we could just, you know ... chat. :P

I haven't partaken in quite a while...cutting back. Not since i was in mexico...little mota...little perico (can't vouch for the spelling). Mad?

Had to meet with 4 VPs. Long, but hopefully productive. You can never really tell despite comments like..."your commute," "we will be betting on that UM/UW game," etc.

Kids: So fried i thought that was some kinda reference to a previous convo, etc. I'm legitimately fried. i owe you an PM on my story...it is coming.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:23 PM

The trade was contigent on him reporting and passing his physical. He NEVER REPORTED.

That isn't the point..you are getting lost in details.

Do you really think the trading partner is going to give up picks and player for a 4 week trial? Get serious.

P.S. you are wrong about plummer. The bucs knew he was going to retire..they traded anyway with the hope they could convince him.

mission
08-06-2008, 09:28 PM

I haven't partaken in quite a while...cutting back. Not since i was in mexico...little mota...little perico (can't vouch for the spelling). Mad?

Had to meet with 4 VPs. Long, but hopefully productive. You can never really tell despite comments like..."your commute," "we will be betting on that UM/UW game," etc.

Kids: So fried i thought that was some kinda reference to a previous convo, etc. I'm legitimately fried. i owe you an PM on my story...it is coming.

Sounds like a good gig if VPs are part of the DM process... and you gotta love assumptive verbiage like that ... "when" "we will have to" etc etc ...

Good for you. Good luck.

Me? Just signed a 10 track deal with Luda's label DTP so that smidgen of thought that maybe I suck and should go back into sales is now gone forever (even if i do suck and should go back to sales). I'm using the coat from a Jones suit to stuff (too stnd to fix that one lol) under the door and keep the hot air out... in a big roomy warehouse, this shit gets hot ... gotta pick and choose what you keep cold. Figure the next time Ill need a suit, Ill have plenty of loot to go all out ...

Grammys?

:lol:

Rastak
08-06-2008, 09:28 PM

Do you really think the trading partner is going to give up picks and player for a 4 week trial? Get serious.

P.S. you are wrong about plummer. The bucs knew he was going to retire..they traded anyway with the hope they could convince him.

* sigh *

Let's run through this. Once a player reports and passes his physical the trade is complete. If the player retires, the original team could give a flying fuck.

Plummer NEVER reported so the trade was NULL and VOID. The Bucs NEGOTIATED with the Broncos and came to an agreement on the 7.

Does this make sense to you now?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:34 PM

* sigh *

Let's run through this. Once a player reports and passes his physical the trade is complete. If the player retires, the original team could give a flying fuck.

Plummer NEVER reported so the trade was NULL and VOID. The Bucs NEGOTIATED with the Broncos and came to an agreement on the 7.

Let's try this again. First, PBMax agrees with me.

Second, in any contract the team receiving brett is going to want assurances. They will get them. You can say what you want..but, it will happen. That is the issue. My god, why are you so slow on this.

the issue isn't what the pack want..it is what the other team wants.

Three: Plummer..really, then why was the compensation changed. The bucs still gave up a pick for nothing.

pbmax
08-06-2008, 09:34 PM

Not yet, as this is the way I remember it:

A day after reports that the Denver Broncos and Tampa Bay Bucs consummated a deal for quarterback Jake Plummer, the two clubs pulled the trigger Saturday on the transaction. In exchange for Plummer, Tampa Bay acquires a conditional draft choice.

The deal is announced just 24 hours after the quarterback announced his retirement from football and just hours before the Bucs are to announce the signing of free agent QB Jeff Garcia to a deal.

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network speculates via ProFootballTalk that the move forces Plummer into a corner to decide his fate an NFL player.

From PFT:

Per Schefter, the trade states that Plummer either unretires and plays for the Bucs, or Plummer retires and the Broncos retain the ability to pursue the unallocated portion of his signing bonus.

But if Plummer unretires, Tampa will have to have $5.3 million in cap room to carry his base salary. So, in essence, Plummer can opt to force Tampa’s hand by saying, “Sure, I’ll show up.” It will force Tampa to pay him $5.3 million or cut him.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:39 PM

Sounds like a good gig if VPs are part of the DM process... and you gotta love assumptive verbiage like that ... "when" "we will have to" etc etc ...

Good for you. Good luck.

Me? Just signed a 10 track deal with Luda's label DTP so that smidgen of thought that maybe I suck and should go back into sales is now gone forever (even if i do suck and should go back to sales). I'm using the coat from a Jones suit to stuff (too stnd to fix that one lol) under the door and keep the hot air out... in a big roomy warehouse, this shit gets hot ... gotta pick and choose what you keep cold. Figure the next time Ill need a suit, Ill have plenty of loot to go all out ...

Grammys?

Assumptive: Yeah, but hard to really read much..especially when they say they have other candidates this week to talk with. Course when they asked about keeping them in the loop regarding what i'm doing..i told them i was in play and had a firm doing ref checks this week..which is true.

Luda: He is part of the radical left and one of the reasons to stay away from obama...according to hannity. Guess i'll have to terminate our conversation. :roll:

Jones: Who are they...sounds like off the rack...not good, brotha. Wearing my boss today. I have so few opps to actually wear a suit. I was the only one in one....the vps were all biz casual...the standard tech uni.

Grammy: You don't need the white man's approval. I'd actually be embarrassed for you if you won a grammy...sure it is nice, but it is almost the kiss of death.

You do it for the streets!!!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:41 PM

What are u referring to whith "not yet."

pbmax
08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Ras' last post, which unfortunately for readability's sake, ended up on the previous page.

What are u referring to whith "not yet."

Rastak
08-06-2008, 09:48 PM

* sigh *

Let's try this again. First, PBMax agrees with me.
Second, in any contract the team receiving brett is going to want assurances. They will get them. You can say what you want..but, it will happen. That is the issue. My god, why are you so slow on this.

the issue isn't what the pack want..it is what the other team wants.

Three: Plummer..really, then why was the compensation changed. The bucs still gave up a pick for nothing.

Well, that will surly cause me to back down. He's dead assed wrong too.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5340491

Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden tried to talk Plummer into playing for the Buccaneers. After a long conversation with his agents this morning, Plummer decided to quit rather than go to Tampa Bay. His decision nullified a trade that would have sent a fourth-round pick to Denver.

They redid the trade after it fell through to redo the compensation BECAUSE Denver wanted to keep the player. In the favre situation, who in their right mind would make the deal if he said he wouldn't go there. If Green Bay isn't sending any other players why would they do any kind of contingency deal?

Getting a 7 for some cash like they did with Plumber? Nope. Trade for a HOF QB and then turn around and try and grab some signing bonus?

Possible but PR suicide. I completely reject your argument.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 09:52 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about.

It is very simple. No team in the league is going to give up any value for Favre unless they know that he is going to play or that what they give up for him is dependent on performance.

That is the point..which you can't seem to get thru your thick skull.

It is no different than getting a better pick for him if he plays well and gets the team into the playoffs.

So, they would have it..4th..maybe a 2nd if good perf...or a 6th/7th if he retires...and that pick may be one that is years down the road.

P.S. Denver didn't want to keep him...they didn't. If they had THEY woulda got the bonus money back...sorry, the bucs did. The bucs then could use that money towards the cap.

Why would they do that? Since the kind of player who makes $3.5 million a year is almost always a better player than a seventh-round rookie.

You mite wanna actually know the facts before you start talking. :oops:

pbmax
08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm not going to take it personally that my word isn't enough, but here is a later recap of the trade.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5408743,00.html

After the initial Denver-Tampa Bay trade fell through, the teams got together again on a follow-up deal in which the Bucs sent the Broncos a conditional 2008 draft pick for Plummer's rights. That second deal prevents Plummer from changing his mind and getting to choose his next team. The NFL players' union has hinted it will file a grievance on Plummer's behalf, saying Denver can't trade the rights to a retired player.

mission
08-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Good for you. Good luck.

Grammys?

Assumptive: Yeah, but hard to really read much..especially when they say they have other candidates this week to talk with. Course when they asked about keeping them in the loop regarding what i'm doing..i told them i was in play and had a firm doing ref checks this week..which is true.

Luda: He is part of the radical left and one of the reasons to stay away from obama...according to hannity. Guess i'll have to terminate our conversation. :roll:

Jones: Who are they...sounds like off the rack...not good, brotha. Wearing my boss today. I have so few opps to actually wear a suit. I was the only one in one....the vps were all biz casual...the standard tech uni.

Grammy: You don't need the white man's approval. I'd actually be embarrassed for you if you won a grammy...sure it is nice, but it is almost the kiss of death.

You do it for the streets!!!

Luda... ya he referred to Hilary as a "bitch". In a really nice way though... oh wait, he has an album coming out real soon doesn't he? Smart man.

Jones NY ... like a Kenneth Coleish... 500 retail, $275 at a KG type of place... nothing special but it can fool normal people. Nothin like seein a perfectly tailored real nice suit though. That shit can't hide. I have some sharp as hell HB ties tho ... woooooweee!

And the Grammys, well... I do it for vacations and beautiful women to be honest. Im pretty independent as you can probably tell and by that I mean "im the boss and am always right" and making a lot of money is the best way to ensure that i can keep being the boss :P as long as the keys run this industry, doin it for the streets equates to a ton of money... and a lot of vacations.

i just wanna be on TV... got some videos comin up where im chillin in the cut. real exciting huh.

pbmax
08-06-2008, 09:58 PM
That amended deal was 4th if he shows up, 7th if he doesn't. Plummer lost the union's grievance about trading a retired player. And the Bucs got a good chunk of Plummer's signing bonus back as a result of his retirement.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm not going to take it personally that my word isn't enough, but here is a later recap of the trade.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5408743,00.html

After the initial Denver-Tampa Bay trade fell through, the teams got together again on a follow-up deal in which the Bucs sent the Broncos a conditional 2008 draft pick for Plummer's rights. That second deal prevents Plummer from changing his mind and getting to choose his next team. The NFL players' union has hinted it will file a grievance on Plummer's behalf, saying Denver can't trade the rights to a retired player.

Dangit harv..you keep beating me to the punch!!

I wanna knock that queer ass viking's fan out!!

Rastak
08-06-2008, 10:01 PM

It is very simple. No team in the league is going to give up any value for Favre unless they know that he is going to play or that what they give up for him is dependent on performance.

It is no different than getting a better pick for him if he plays well and gets the team into the playoffs.

So, they would have it..4th..maybe a 2nd if good perf...or a 6th/7th if he retires...and that pick may be one that is years down the road.

Okay, your Plummer reference was dead wong and you play dumb. Admit you were full of shit and be a man.

No shit sherlock, the team will negotiate with the player to make sure he'll report and will be happy. You do remember the original post, right? The question is "what happens after 4 fucking weeks, he quits"

The answer from all people with brains is "you are scewed, team who made the stupid trade".

Who the hell would put in a clause that the trade is null sometime later in the season?

Rastak
08-06-2008, 10:03 PM

No, don't take it personally, not my intent. AFTER THE TRADE FELL THROUGH being the main point here. The dude quit AFTER he was traded and it was null and void. I agree on your point about the second trade but it was instigated by a desire for the Broncos to keep the player in the deal. Please explain what the motivation would be in this case?

Rastak
08-06-2008, 10:05 PM
That amended deal was 4th if he shows up, 7th if he doesn't. Plummer lost the union's grievance about trading a retired player. And the Bucs got a good chunk of Plummer's signing bonus back as a result of his retirement.

Yes, and I mentioned that. Do you think it a prudent PR deal to go after a HOF QB with the sole purpose of taking some signing bonus the Packers paid? Plummer, I guess, Favre, I don't think so.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Luda... ya he referred to Hilary as a "bitch". In a really nice way though... oh wait, he has an album coming out real soon doesn't he? Smart man.

Jones NY ... like a Kenneth Coleish... 500 retail, $275 at a KG type of place... nothing special but it can fool normal people. Nothin like seein a perfectly tailored real nice suit though. That shit can't hide. I have some sharp as hell HB ties tho ... woooooweee!

And the Grammys, well... I do it for vacations and beautiful women to be honest. Im pretty independent as you can probably tell and by that I mean "im the boss and am always right" and making a lot of money is the best way to ensure that i can keep being the boss :P as long as the keys run this industry, doin it for the streets equates to a ton of money... and a lot of vacations.

i just wanna be on TV... got some videos comin up where im chillin in the cut. real exciting huh.

Luda: I know what he did. I just laugh. I love the conservs all worried about "hateful" speech one moment..then bitching about liberals that are too pc. My god..the hypocrits.

Jones: I knew who they are...i think they do most biz with women. Kg..man, that is a ATL/south thing. You pick up sum SAs in purple to got wit da suit? And a fly fedora? :wink:

TV: fuck dat. I just wanna come when you are doing a casting. Bring on da video honeys!!!! Superhead...invite her down. :oops:

Just tell them i'm head of XX label...they'll believe a short hebe is that!!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Okay, your Plummer reference was dead wong and you play dumb. Admit you were full of shit and be a man.

No shit sherlock, the team will negotiate with the player to make sure he'll report and will be happy. You do remember the original post, right? The question is "what happens after 4 fucking weeks, he quits"

The answer from all people with brains is "you are scewed, team who made the stupid trade".

Who the hell would put in a clause that the trade is null sometime later in the season?

First, the person wrong about plummer was you...denver never wanted him back..and didnt' keep him. Funny how you drop that.

Dude, i told you the point was the compensation would change. I was in the original plummer thread. You are way off base. The point..which i said to mission regarding plummer was that they got a lower pick. I never went into details regarding..reporting, etc. That is why i told you you are getting wrapped up in details.

Yes..the point of after 4 weeks..that the compensation will change. The pack will get a worse deal. Simple as that.

4 weeks..yes i remember..that is why i wrote...

I'm guessing there would be several contigencies. Let's say we get a pick and a player. If brett was to retire we would probably retain the player and give a pick back...something low for griese. Or, maybe we don't give the pick to them, but they pick up part of his salary.

Who knows how they will structure it...but, i guarantee that is being discussed...and i dont' think brett would retire...that would make him look even dumber than he does right now.

Negotiatate with Player: HOw are they going to do that? That is tampering my friend. You are so fucked it isn't even funny.

Screwed: Dude, you are an idiot if you think that a team is going to give up a pick for the hope that brett plays. If they do..we will get such a low pick that it wasn't worth all this aggravation.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
sdddd

Rastak
08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
I highly doubt there will be a clause on retiring long after the trade has gone through.

Keep arguing, we'll see if your idiotic scenario (or sinario as butt plug would say) is right.

pbmax
08-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Just joking Ras, don't worry. I think the motivation would be of a different sort for the team trading for Favre. He does not have a boatload of money unearned from his signing bonus. And as you point out, going after whatever small amount might remain after a HOF player retires SEVEN years into ten year deal is different that Plummer's one and done new contract.

However, this is Favre we are talking about so I think that will depress the initial draft pick offer (meaning the trading partner will say I'd offer a better base value pick but there is a chance he changes his mind again). If he talks to us and we get a contract agreed to we will pay you a fourth round pick. In Favre's case that is a worst case scenario (like Plummer's seventh round pick). If he stays on the roster and the team and QB do well, then it goes to second or first round.

So no, this deal will not likely entail Favre landing back in the Packers lap, but he would need to stick around and succeed for the Pack to get a better pick.

Yes, and I mentioned that. Do you think it a prudent PR deal to go after a HOF QB with the sole purpose of taking some signing bonus the Packers paid? Plummer, I guess, Favre, I don't think so.

mission
08-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Luda: I know what he did. I just laugh. I love the conservs all worried about "hateful" speech one moment..then bitching about liberals that are too pc. My god..the hypocrits.

Jones: I knew who they are...i think they do most biz with women. Kg..man, that is a ATL/south thing. You pick up sum SAs in purple to got wit da suit? And a fly fedora? :wink:

TV: fuck dat. I just wanna come when you are doing a casting. Bring on da video honeys!!!! Superhead...invite her down. :oops:

Just tell them i'm head of XX label...they'll believe a short hebe is that!!

You saw the picture of my ol girl Masika didnt ya? And my suits are class bruh.. darky navy with subtle pinstripe... no michael irvin ish here. we're talkin baller lawyer look, not the Pimpin Ball lol. if anyone ever faked it well, it was me. swiss man raised me, taught that it's just "smart" :P

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I highly doubt there will be a clause on retiring long after the trade has gone through.

Keep arguing, we'll see if your idiotic scenario (or sinario as butt plug would say) is right.

Right :roll:

We never see conditional picks in trades. :roll:

I'm sure the GMs of those two teams are gonna give up high picks for the hope brett plays. Yeah, those new yorkers just fell of the turnip truck.

Man, you have been owned and you can't even figure it out.

Rastak
08-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Just joking Ras, don't worry. I think the motivation would be of a different sort for the team trading for Favre. He does not have a boatload of money unearned from his signing bonus. And as you point out, going after whatever small amount might remain after a HOF player retires SEVEN years into ten year deal is different that Plummer's one and done new contract.

However, this is Favre we are talking about so I think that will depress the initial draft pick offer. If he talks to us and we get a contract agreed to we will pay you a fourth round pick. In Favre's case that is a worst case scenario (like Plummer's seventh round pick). If he stays on the roster and the team and QB do well, then it goes to second or first round.

So no, this deal will not likely entail Favre landing back in the Packers lap, but he would need to stick around and succeed for the Pack to get a better pick.

Now THAT I agree with. It very well could depress the initial pick and there most likely would be a sliding compensation. I doubt "stick around" would be part of it but "succeed" likely would.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Nobody...not me or anybody else..said "stick around"...just that wording to the effect of conditions to be met.