PDA

View Full Version : Not everyone in NY happy on trade..

digitaldean
08-07-2008, 12:43 AM
WRONG MOVE FOR JETS

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08062008/sports/jets/wrong_move_for_jets_123328.htm

This is just a snippet from the piece:
If Green Bay, which knows Favre best, came to the conclusion after all this greatness, that he has become a dead end, shouldn't the Jets have taken the hint?

____

Welcome to the NY media, Brett.

boiga
08-07-2008, 12:49 AM
The New York Times had a similar pewter lining outlook:
Favre Is a Jet; Pennington Could Have Outplayed Him

By Toni Monkovic

Before we wrap our heads around the news that Brett Favre will be a Jet, as first reported by Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, let’s consider Chad Pennington for a moment. Favre’s arrival almost guarantees Pennington’s exit.

But it’s entirely possible that Pennington — or so it says here — could have outplayed Favre this season, mostly because of his experience with the Jets’ system.

But Pennington can’t generate nearly the buzz and excitement that the Favre trade will.

The Jets will now be major players in this town, competing head to head with the Super Bowl champion Giants for attention both national and local. And those personal seat license charges the Jets plan to unveil? This news will give Woody Johnson some nice cover.

Favre equals sizzle. And no one can say his arm isn’t better than Pennington’s. But what about the playbook and the chemistry with receivers that takes months, if not years, to build? Favre would have been a better fit with the Bucs, who run a variation of Green Bay’s West Coast offense.

It may not be the popular opinion, because Favre is, well, a gunslinger, but Pennington, as a total package, might have given the Jets a better chance to win. http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/favre-is-a-jet-pennington-could-have-outplayed-him/

MTPackerfan
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
so after the Jets release Pennington, would we have any interest in picking him up as an experienced backup? I know his arm is a rag but he does have a ton of experience and would be a stop gap replacement if (or when) Rodgers goes down.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
so after the Jets release Pennington, would we have any interest in picking him up as an experienced backup? I know his arm is a rag but he does have a ton of experience and would be a stop gap replacement if (or when) Rodgers goes down.

I'll be the first to start a Chad Pennington fan club. See my post on another thread. The guy can still play and is made to order to the West Coast offense.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=307446#307446

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 10:01 AM

I'll be the first to start a Chad Pennington fan club. See my post on another thread. The guy can still play and is made to order to the West Coast offense.

Only if Brohm gets hurt early. I dont expect a SB run this year anyway, and I'd like Brohm to get as many reps as possible. I want to see Brohm develop into a starting caliber QB. That way we can keep him if Rodgers fails, or trade him for a day 1 draft pick during the final year of his contract. Either way, we have a solid backup for 3 years. But Brohm needs to get those reps or he won't turn into very much. I really don't see him developing very fast sitting at the very bottom of our depth chart.

MTPackerfan
08-07-2008, 10:06 AM

Only if Brohm gets hurt early. I dont expect a SB run this year anyway, and I'd like Brohm to get as many reps as possible. I want to see Brohm develop into a starting caliber QB. That way we can keep him if Rodgers fails, or trade him for a day 1 draft pick during the final year of his contract. Either way, we have a solid backup for 3 years. But Brohm needs to get those reps or he won't turn into very much. I really don't see him developing very fast sitting at the very bottom of our depth chart.

Can keep Brohm adn develop him but Flynn would probably be gone, What we have now are three inexperienced QBs, two of whom are Rookies adn the starter has never started a game a shown a potential for injuries. Picking up an experienced backup makes sense.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 10:06 AM
This is funny!

Really, no harm at all has been done in Green Bay, but what do you have elsewhere? Instant QB controversy in NY, a bunch of hurt feelings and lack of respect for what they currently have in Tampa, Minnesota, and Chicago--not that what those teams currently have aren't eminently disrespectable.

I bet the Packers DON'T pick up a veteran QB--Pennington or anybody else. Brohm and Flynn will do just fine in the unlikely event they are needed.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 10:09 AM
agreed, I think we have plenty of QB's.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I'll bet you wish you could rewrite that title. every time i read it my head aches.

run pMc
08-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Pennington would be an interesting pickup. Accurate QB. The arm strength is a well-known knock against him, though. I'm guessing his arm is good enough for a 5-yd slant. Another rumor is that TB will likely cut Chris Simms at the end of TC if nobody offers a trade for him. Either would be good candidates for a backup spot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3279488

My gut tells me they roll with who they have now. Rodgers was healthy in college. Should he be injured (knock on wood that doesn't happen) and miss games, Brohm will probably be ready to go by mid-season. From what I'm reading, he doesn't have the arm strength but has picked up the system well.

I don't expect a SB year from this team, but I do think they are still better than many teams in the NFC and should be a playoff contender.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM

Can keep Brohm adn develop him but Flynn would probably be gone, What we have now are three inexperienced QBs, two of whom are Rookies adn the starter has never started a game a shown a potential for injuries. Picking up an experienced backup makes sense.

If the experienced QB took 3rd string reps in practice, you are absolutely right. My concern is about Brohms development, which will be stunted if he's downgraded to the bottom of the depth chart.

packers11
08-07-2008, 11:38 AM
PENNINGTON IS AWFUL!!! STOP!!!

he can't throw a 10 yard out route... His arm is incredibly bad...

Yes . Lets go from the strongest arm in the NFL to the weakest most pathetic arm i've ever seen... :roll:

I'll take the rookie Brohm as backup over Penningbad