PDA

View Full Version : Don't worry about a re-trade to Minny

digitaldean
08-07-2008, 12:54 AM
PACKERS BLOCK RE-TRADE OF FAVRE TO VIKINGS
Posted by Mike Florio on August 7, 2008, 1:37 a.m.

When asked several weeks back whether a team could trade for quarterback Brett Favre and then re-trade Favre to a team that the Packers wanted to keep him from joining (i.e., the Vikings), we suggested that the Packers would insert in the deal a clause that skyrockets the compensation if/when such a move occurs.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that, if the Jets were to trade Favre to the Vikings, the Jets would owe the Packers three first-round picks.

Though NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to comment on whether such terms would be approved by the league, we see no reason why the league would strike such a term. Conditional terms appear in trades on a regular basis.
___
This should kill off any conspiracy theories of Minny trading with the Jets.

boiga
08-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that, if the Jets were to trade Favre to the Vikings, the Jets would owe the Packers three first-round picks. Now that is a trade to the vikings that I could accept.

Patler
08-07-2008, 12:57 AM

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that, if the Jets were to trade Favre to the Vikings, the Jets would owe the Packers three first-round picks.
___

Almost makes you hope they DO trade him to the Vikings.

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 01:04 AM
I hope they do it.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 01:08 AM
I hope they do it.

Next year. We don't need that this year. Do we still get 3 first rounders if they trade him to Minnesota in 2009?

Rastak
08-07-2008, 04:33 AM

When asked several weeks back whether a team could trade for quarterback Brett Favre and then re-trade Favre to a team that the Packers wanted to keep him from joining (i.e., the Vikings), we suggested that the Packers would insert in the deal a clause that skyrockets the compensation if/when such a move occurs.

Though NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to comment on whether such terms would be approved by the league, we see no reason why the league would strike such a term. Conditional terms appear in trades on a regular basis.
___

That clause makes me think they were scared shitless at the prospect. Wow.

SnakeLH2006
08-07-2008, 04:38 AM
TT should be scared shitless of Favre doing well (playoffs) and arod doing what he did in the scrimmage (every other time we saw him other than the Cowboy game...wow one game).....We are fucked. Way to stay strong TT. :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll:

mmmdk
08-07-2008, 04:53 AM
TT should be scared shitless of Favre doing well (playoffs) and arod doing what he did in the scrimmage (every other time we saw him other than the Cowboy game...wow one game).....We are fucked. Way to stay strong TT. :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The receivers dropped the rock at the scrimmage; it's a team sport Brett, uhm, Snake! :P

SnakeLH2006
08-07-2008, 04:57 AM

The receivers dropped the rock at the scrimmage; it's a team sport Brett, uhm, Snake! :P

Wow...seen every Packer game from Brett (never missed one) and Arod....musta missed something :roll: ....even in arod's "good game" vs. Dallas he's looked skittish and overthrown receivers...hmmm....okay so they didn't drop those passes...Arod still goes 11/20 for 110 yards and a pick...great game...I ain't hating on Arod, just saying he's far from a deece QB....quote that and come back to me when we are 2-4 and Arod is on IR with Brohm losing all the games to 6-10. :shock:

mmmdk
08-07-2008, 05:11 AM

Wow...seen every Packer game from Brett (never missed one) and Arod....musta missed something :roll: ....even in arod's "good game" vs. Dallas he's looked skittish and overthrown receivers...hmmm....okay so they didn't drop those passes...Arod still goes 11/20 for 110 yards and a pick...great game...I ain't hating on Arod, just saying he's far from a deece QB....quote that and come back to me when we are 2-4 and Arod is on IR with Brohm losing all the games to 6-10. :shock:

Ok...Saruman...have you been peeking into than Palantir again? Naughty you; the future can change though.

I think you make too much out scrimmage & pre-season stats. A-Rod is an unknown, granted, but he was great vs Dallas last season but that doesn't make a career though.

Stevogbfan
08-07-2008, 06:05 AM
what happens if the jets just cut favre, this might not be over just yet

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 06:19 AM

___

That clause makes me think they were scared shitless at the prospect. Wow.NO, that clause makes good business sense.

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 06:20 AM
what happens if the jets just cut favre, this might not be over just yetIF they cut him, Im sure the pick they owe will ben a 1st. WHich means, they gave up a first round piuck for nothing. Don't worry about that.

Rastak
08-07-2008, 06:25 AM
what happens if the jets just cut favre, this might not be over just yetIF they cut him, Im sure the pick they owe will ben a 1st. WHich means, they gave up a first round piuck for nothing. Don't worry about that.

I highly doubt that. I would guess it's a 4th.

imscott72
08-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Interesting how they didn't include the Bears in the poison pill. Favre indicated they were one of the North teams he'd love to play for.

Rastak
08-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Actually cpk got me thinking. I would assume it wouldn't accelerate to a #1, in fact I highly doubt it. BUT, if the Jets did just cut him and owe the Packers a 4th and then Vikings suddenly traded a scrub and a #2 for a scrub, that would go straight around the trade restriction. Assuming Favre then signs with the Vikings.

That would be a big NFL backstab, I highly doubt it would happen.

imscott72
08-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Actually cpk got me thinking. I would assume it wouldn't accelerate to a #1, in fact I highly doubt it. BUT, if the Jets did just cut him and owe the Packers a 4th and then Vikings suddenly traded a scrub and a #2 for a scrub, that would go straight around the trade restriction. Assuming Favre then signs with the Vikings.

Yeah I would think Goodell would have an issue with that..

Zool
08-07-2008, 08:11 AM

I dont see why the Jets would give up a 4th for no reason.

mngolf19
08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Or as I heard on the radio this morning, Jets trade to team X and then team X trades to MN.

Rastak
08-07-2008, 08:25 AM

I dont see why the Jets would give up a 4th for no reason.

Umm, to get the #2 from Minnesota in the sham trade?

This won't happen, just having some fun speculating.

Rastak
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Or as I heard on the radio this morning, Jets trade to team X and then team X trades to MN.

That would likely work too.

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 09:20 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking last night. Would the Jets still owe the Packers 3 #1 picks if they traded Brett to Tampa and then Tampa trades him to MN?

Rastak
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking last night. Would the Jets still owe the Packers 3 #1 picks if they traded Brett to Tampa and then Tampa trades him to MN?

I highly doubt it. I wouldn't worry though, they traded for him to play him.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 09:37 AM
The link below explains two things: 1) Why the Jets wanted Brett Favre and are serious about starting him; and 2) Why the Packers should be interested in picking up Chad Pennington as QB insurance if the Jets release him.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:jCCOEGWPtccJ:www.footballguys.com/PennCh01-1.php+chad+pennington%27s+arm&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

Here is a summary of Pennington's performance last year:

2007 Game Summaries
Week 1 - Pennington had a pretty solid day despite being under pressure and hurried for most of the game. His accuracy led him to a day where he saw 76 percent of his passes completed for 167 yards and two touchdowns. He threw no interceptions and was consistently finding an open man. On a third quarter drive, Penning suffered what appeared to be an ankle injury and had to hobble of to the sidelines. Backup quarterback Kellen Clemens came in for the remainder of the series while Pennington was being attended to on the sidelines. The Jets starting quarterback returned a series later to lead a touchdown drive, which ended on a pass to Laveranues Coles. This was the end of his day however; as he retired to the sidelines in the fourth quarter, with the game seemingly out reach for the Jets.

Week 3 - Pennington returned to the Jets' lineup with a heavily bandaged ankle and an attitude that demonstrated once again that he is the emotional leader of this team. He ran some no huddle offense at the Dolphins and managed to divide 15 completions among six different receivers. After he scored a touchdown on an unexpected two yard quarterback draw, Pennington pumped his fist and was immediately mobbed by teammates.

Week 4 - Pennington played well during most of the game. He connected on 82 percent of his passes for 290 yards. At one point, he completed 15 consecutive pass attempts. As usual, Pennington displayed a deft touch on most of his passes. His accuracy allows him to get by with less than ideal arm strength. However, his arm sometimes puts his receivers in less than ideal positions. Pennington threw two costly interceptions. The second one came with six seconds left and with the Jets threatening to get into position for a tying field goal. Pennington's pass attempt to Justin McCareins fluttered like a wounded duck before Terrence McGee plucked it out of the air and sealed the Jets' fate.

With time running out at the end of the first half, Pennington faked a clock killing spike and instead hit Laveranues Coles for a 16 yard connection to set up a 37 yard field goal attempt by Mike Nugent.

Pennington threw mainly short and medium type routes, but did have a few deep attempts. His 28 yard completion to Jerricho Cotchery is his longest pass of the season. Prior to the game, he had not attempted a pass more than 16 yards downfield.

Week 5 - Pennington struggled to make good decisions as he turned the ball over three times through the air, all resulting in points for the New York Giants. He completed 21 of 36 passes for 229 yards and a score. His lone touchdown toss was a pretty fade route to Brad Smith in the corner of the end zone, which resulted in the Jets only offensive touchdown for the day. Going into the end zone to start the fourth quarter Chad Pennington went back to the fade route, targeting Jericho Cotchery in double coverage and turning the ball over at the one yard line.

Week 6 - Pennington had poor performance under center and did not seem comfortable. He was under throwing receivers terribly and was proven time and time again that he was unable to go deep with any effectiveness. He completed 11 of his 21 passes for 128 yards and threw an interception on a deep route intended for Brad Smith. Pennington's arm strength is continuously being challenged by opposing defenses, and at the current moment, he has not been able to be successful throwing down field.

Week 7 - Pennington started off the game sizzling, but had another rough fourth quarter. He fumbled a snap and threw a game changing interception that was returned for a touchdown. He threw too many out patterns and finally a Cincinnati corner jumped the route.

Week 8 - Pennington had another error free game as he completed 65 percent of his passes for only 106 yards and no touchdowns. He did not turn the ball over, however could not lead a scoring drive when the Jets needed it most. Late in the fourth quarter and trailing by 10 points, the Jets opted to go with backup quarterback Kellen Clemens, who proceeded to throw two interceptions.

Week 15 - Chad Pennington who filled in for the injured Clemens performed well however was not able to put the ball in the end zone against the swarming Patriots defensive unit. He completed 25 of 38 passes for 186 yards as he spread the ball around to six different Jets receivers. On a fourth quarter drive, Pennington seemed to hit Justin McCareins in the back of the end zone for a score that would have put the Jets within three points of the lead, however, this play was reviewed and overturned, ultimately ending the hopes for New York.

Week 16 - Pennington showed that he still has what it takes to run an offense, completing 26 of 32 passes for 264 yards and a touchdown. In the second quarter Pennington hit Jerricho Cotchery in the back of the end zone, bringing the Jets within a point of the Titans. The extra point from Mike Nugent was blocked and the Jets were never able to put anymore points on the board as Pennington was forced to pass, leading to two interceptions on the day. Pennington again showed his pinpoint accuracy while also proving that he is still incapable of throwing the ball deep and spreading out the defense.

Sparkey
08-07-2008, 09:44 AM

The NY JETS will be moving into a new stadium in 2010 and are trying to sell PSL's to their fans. Favre, in addition to playing, helps the fans on the fence to shell out their money for PSL's.

The trade for NY is as much about $$$/marketing as it is about on the field performance.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
What if Favre sucks so bad--intentionally or otherwise that the Jets cut him?

That's not so far-fetched when a guy is making $12 million, you know.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
What if Favre sucks so bad--intentionally or otherwise--that the Jets cut him?

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
oops

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Damn. Where's the edit button? I keep hitting "quote" when I intend to edit.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 11:29 AM
What if Favre sucks so bad--intentionally or otherwise that the Jets cut him?

I think time is running out. Teams will hire a QB during the season to plug-in for a few games. But they aren't going to want a big-money starter like Favre with no preparation time. It just doesn't fit.

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 11:38 AM

I highly doubt it. I wouldn't worry though, they traded for him to play him.NOt to mention that if that happened Goodell would be very suspicious of collusion, about the only way that scenario happens.

boiga
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Per PFT
DEAL BLOCKS RE-TRADE TO ANY NFC NORTH TEAM
Posted by Mike Florio on August 7, 2008, 12:10 p.m. UTC

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the term requiring the Jets to surrender three first-round draft picks to the Packers if quarterback Brett Favre is re-traded to the Vikings also applies to the Bears and the Lions.

So if the Jets ship Favre to any of the Packers’ three opponents in the NFC North, then the Jets will have to give up three first-round draft picks.

The trade also includes, per Schefter, terms that would prevent the Jets from escaping the escalation by trading Favre to another team who then would trade him to one of the NFC North teams.

As we previously pointed out, it’s highly unlikely that the Jets would treat this episode like a house-flipping scheme. Still, it was smart for the Packers to protect themselves this way.

Of course, the trade terms don’t prevent the Jets from, for example, releasing Favre on request after the 2008 season, so that he can get back to the NFC North, if he so chooses. Indeed, it wouldn’t be a shock to learn that Favre agreed to join the Jets only after the Jets agreed to let him go with no strings attached, if he decides after one year that he wants out.

If our speculation in that regard is accurate, we hope that Favre talked with Pete Kendall, Laveranues Coles, and/or Chris Baker before taking the team at its word. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/07/deal-blocks-re-trade-to-any-nfc-north-team/

So no worries. TT kept us safe. For as incompetent as the guy seems dealing with PR, he sure can kick ass making negotiations. He never blinks, I suppose, figuratively or literally.

Pugger
08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Plus if the Jets did this no other team would want to deal with them in the future. I heard the other day that there is a gentlemen's agreement that you don't pull that sort of thing.

Pugger
08-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Plus if the Jets did this no other team would want to deal with them in the future. I heard the other day that there is a gentlemen's agreement that you don't pull that sort of thing.

If the Jets release Brett after this season and he signs with an NFC North team he'll be 40 years old in October of the 2009 season. What team would want a 40 year old QB for $12M a year?

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 12:08 PM

TT? Didn't TT put him on the active roster? It was Favre and MM that decided Favre couldn't play for the Packers...Me thinks your anger is misplaced.

mngolf19
08-07-2008, 12:33 PM

We'll know as soon as NYJ release Pennington. Or not. :wink:

GoPackGo
08-07-2008, 12:56 PM
I hope the Pack acquire Pennington to backup Rodgers. His arm is suspect but he does have experience that no QB on the roster has. Brohm can ride the pine for a year or two. Flynn was passed on by every NFL team 6 times in the draft so I'm not worried about losing him.

boiga
08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
We'll know as soon as NYJ release Pennington. Or not. :wink: Yeah, chad got bumped because of the Packers so it would make a good story line if he went to the Vikes to get revenge. We'd love it because we'd get to crowd the box as badly as we did in that shut out last year.

Too bad Parcells is trying to bring him to Miami according to PFT. I'd certainly wish Pennington on my worst enemy.

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
We'll know as soon as NYJ release Pennington. Or not. :wink: Yeah, chad got bumped because of the Packers so it would make a good story line if he went to the Vikes to get revenge. We'd love it because we'd get to crowd the box as badly as we did in that shut out last year.

Too bad Parcells is trying to bring him to Miami according to PFT. I'd certainly wish Pennington on my worst enemy.I agree. I don't want anyhting to do with a QB whos arm could fall off at any minute.