PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre Trade Compensation

SMACKTALKIE
08-07-2008, 02:11 AM
According to the NFL network:

The trade currently is worth a 4th rounder.

If Favre plays 50% of snaps, Packers get a 3rd round pick.

If Favre plays 70% of snaps and the Jets make the playoffs, the Packers get a 2nd round pick.

If Favre plays 80% of snaps and the Jets make the Super Bowl, The Packers get a 1st round pick.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Go Jets.

sepporepi
08-07-2008, 02:15 AM
I am ok with this.

I expect a 2nd rounder from this. Given the circumstances we could not expect more.

SnakeLH2006
08-07-2008, 04:52 AM
No bodyguards for TT?? I know of several GB and other WI dudes that would whoop the holy hell outta TT for this trade...not saying me so don't flame, but hell he's toast in a public scene. :shock:

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 06:25 AM
I am ok with this.

I expect a 2nd rounder from this. Given the circumstances we could not expect more.Tee Jets were a 4-12 team last year. Seriously you can't be saying that the Jets will turn it around with one player who is learning an entirely new offense and make the playoffs?

packrulz
08-07-2008, 06:35 AM
I am ok with this.

I expect a 2nd rounder from this. Given the circumstances we could not expect more.Tee Jets were a 4-12 team last year. Seriously you can't be saying that the Jets will turn it around with one player who is learning an entirely new offense and make the playoffs?
It was the best TT could do, I doubt the Bucs offered as much, at this point I'd be happy even with a 3rd round pick, which is what the Pats gave for Moss. TT might want to consider grabbing Pennington when he is cut and stashing Flynn on the practice squad. They really should have a veteran with starting experience as a backup in case ARod goes down, Chad is the best FA out there I can think of.

Fritz
08-07-2008, 06:47 AM
This has been my mantra throughout my life as a sports fan: winning teams do NOT get built by general managers and owners who run their teams as if they were fans in a fantasy league.

I said it this past winter when my beloved Detroit Tigers traded the farm for Edgar Renteria, then Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

I said it when many posters wanted Randy Moss in GB, or any of a host of "big names" that have been available as free agents.

It just doesn't work. The fabled Yankees teams that people point to as an example of buying championships were built on a foundation of players the Yanks drafted.

And so I believe the Jets, who have already spent a boatload of money on several free agents (A Lions' offensive lineman and a Steelers' offensive lineman, for two quick examples), and now have traded for a big name QB, will not do well this year. Better than 4 - 12? Sure, if they stay healthy.

But I think this ultimately will be a third rounder. And that's fine with me.

mission
08-07-2008, 07:02 AM
No bodyguards for TT?? I know of several GB and other WI dudes that would whoop the holy hell outta TT for this trade...not saying me so don't flame, but hell he's toast in a public scene. :shock:

Huh?

Bodyguards?

Lemme guess, your friends also drive pickup trucks and chew tobacco.

And are married to their second cousin.

If they're friends of yours, they obviously aren't very smart and have low standards in human association so I dont expect them to behave with even a slight semblance of decency.

Badgerinmaine
08-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Maybe we should have sent the Jets some o-linemen, too. :)

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Huh?

Bodyguards?

If they're friends of yours, they obviously aren't very smart and have low standards in human association so I dont expect them to behave with even a slight semblance of decency.Also, like snake, when they get up in the morning, they brush their tooth.

Zool
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM

Huh?

Bodyguards?

If they're friends of yours, they obviously aren't very smart and have low standards in human association so I dont expect them to behave with even a slight semblance of decency.Also, like snake, when they get up in the morning, they brush their tooth.

Its called a tooth brush for a reason. Seriously though, anyone who would punch another human over some stupid shit like this is really not much of a human at all. Snake you should really be proud to call them your friends.

MTPackerfan
08-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Looks like a 3rd is nearly guaranteed if he doesn't get hurt or re-retire, and a 2nd not out of the realm of possibility if they sneak in as a Wild Card team.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Tee Jets were a 4-12 team last year. Seriously you can't be saying that the Jets will turn it around with one player who is learning an entirely new offense and make the playoffs?

The Jets have a shot at making the playoffs. They made the playoffs in 2006. They have some talent. They have two good WRs, four 1st round picks on the OL, and maybe those FAs (DT Jenkins, LB Pace) will make a difference. Pace could be a good 3-4 rush LB. Don't count them out yet. They play a last place schedule in a weak division too.

CaliforniaCheez
08-07-2008, 12:57 PM
If the Jets do poorly the draft pick could be a third round pick (one somewhere between 65 and 70). If they are average it could be in the upper 70's.

If the Jets do well the pick could be in the mid to upper 50's.

If the Jets make it to the Super Bowl it could be 31st or 32nd.

The worst that can happen is the Jets go 8-8. Much better if they are 9-7 and limp into the playoffs.

If Favre takes them to the Super Bowl Packer management looks very foolish and the Jets gladly give up that 31st or 32nd pick.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
I am ok with this.

No. But they did upgrade thier offensive line tremendously too. And they've added pieces to thier defense. They've spent alot of money in the FA market since the last game they played. This wasn't a 4-12 team before Favre. With him, this is probably a 10-6 team, and a participant in the playoffs as a wild card.

Freak Out
08-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Tee Jets were a 4-12 team last year. Seriously you can't be saying that the Jets will turn it around with one player who is learning an entirely new offense and make the playoffs?

The Jets have a shot at making the playoffs. They made the playoffs in 2006. They have some talent. They have two good WRs, four 1st round picks on the OL, and maybe those FAs (DT Jenkins, LB Pace) will make a difference. Pace could be a good 3-4 rush LB. Don't count them out yet. They play a last place schedule in a weak division too.

Hell..if the Titans can make the Wild Card the Jets should be able to. :lol:

It still feels like Favre has been processed through the Gulag though.

Guiness
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I am ok with this.

They play a 3rd place sched, and meet the weakest NFC division this season. The team's not bad, although they've got a very poor running game...something Brett can win without as long as he's got good pass protection.

Agreed that the pick should be a 3rd barring catastrophe, and I'd give it even odds at a 2nd. Probably mostly depends on how well and quickly BF can pick up their offense. He complained loudly when MM changed some of the terminology.

Guiness
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
TT might want to consider grabbing Pennington when he is cut and stashing Flynn on the practice squad. They really should have a veteran with starting experience as a backup in case ARod goes down, Chad is the best FA out there I can think of.

I was wondering if Pennington's name ever came up during the negotiations? Maybe the Pack didn't like his salary for a back up, and are figured he'll get released?

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I guess Pack go better terms than I thought. Plus moving Favre to AFC is advantage.

A great day for the Packers!

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I was wondering if Pennington's name ever came up during the negotiations?

Pennington is a worthless QB for GB. The guy has a limp noodle for an arm. He'd be better off for a team that plays in a dome where wind and weather won't impact his already reduced ability in throwing a ball.

DonHutson
08-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Most likely a #3 then. Is that enough for a Hall of Famer coming off an MVP runner up season? Is that enough compared to Jason Taylor? Probably not, but it's the most they could get given the circumstances.

Think of it this way. This is the same team we had in March. Was all the dicking around worth a #3? I dunno. You wouldn't voluntarily go down this path for that pick, but it's nice to get a little something for the trouble. If he'd just retired again and left us empty handed, I would've been pissed.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 05:36 PM
There is no way Thompson was going to take somebody's veteran QB cast off. The Packers don't need and don't want some over-the-hill QB who would do nothing more than cause the loss of Brohm or Flynn.

The main reason why it's the Jets is because Thompson wanted to assert his control one last time by sending Favre to the place he least wanted to go. Conveniently, the Jets offer was also apparently a little bit better than the Bucs.

DonHutson
08-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't think it hurt that the Jets did some serious ass-smooching when they finally got their chance to talk to Favre. The Bucs seemed a little indifferent by comparison, and gettin' some love was all this was ever about for Favre.