PDA

View Full Version : Sad day in GB History

wpony
08-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Hi everyone I am a packer fan and have been since I can remember approximately since the early 1960s I remember seeing star play and retire, I remember Zeke Bratkowsi , I remember all the lean Yrs at qb, I have seen many good players and packer hall of fame player retire or even get traded but never have I seen the Green Bay Packers have to hire some one to teach them how to lie to there fans !
I have never seen GB treat a player let alone a player who is probably the greatest player the packers has ever had or will ever have go through all of this because of management meaning TTs handling of TTs EGO. I a not saying Brett was faultless but if TT had handled this right from the start Brett would have stayed retired or at least stayed with the pack but when TT hurt his feelings the fight was on ,
The Packers were always famous for their family attitude toward their players and their fans not anymore :(
I am a Packer fan and will be for the rest of my life I bleed green and gold but I am ashamed of how this was handled but it dos not change my feelings for the Packers I will support Arod with all I got but I will alway still be a Brett fan also.

GrnBay007
08-07-2008, 03:02 AM
It is a sad day in Green Bay. To deny that, is to deny/forget the last 16 years of Packer history. Those bashing Favre the last few weeks/months aren't looking at it from that perspective. Good luck to Brett Favre and thank you for being a Green Bay Packer all these years! He will be missed.

Tarlam!
08-07-2008, 03:17 AM
This is a great day. The situation is resolved.

The sad day for Green Bay fans was when Brett retired.

Don't get me wrong, I think we will sorely miss "Greybeard" and he'll do wonders in NY. But his emotions really screwed with the team's preparations.

I will hate seeing him in a different uni. I am glad the team can now focus on the season with everything settled.

SnakeLH2006
08-07-2008, 03:56 AM
Hi everyone I am a packer fan and have been since I can remember approximately since the early 1960s I remember seeing star play and retire, I remember Zeke Bratkowsi , I remember all the lean Yrs at qb, I have seen many good players and packer hall of fame player retire or even get traded but never have I seen the Green Bay Packers have to hire some one to teach them how to lie to there fans !
I have never seen GB treat a player let alone a player who is probably the greatest player the packers has ever had or will ever have go through all of this because of management meaning TTs handling of TTs EGO. I a not saying Brett was faultless but if TT had handled this right from the start Brett would have stayed retired or at least stayed with the pack but when TT hurt his feelings the fight was on ,
The Packers were always famous for their family attitude toward their players and their fans not anymore :(
I am a Packer fan and will be for the rest of my life I bleed green and gold but I am ashamed of how this was handled but it dos not change my feelings for the Packers I will support Arod with all I got but I will alway still be a Brett fan also.

Well put...hope all the Favre haters are happy, I support the GB Pack and A-rod, but can't help but think it coulda been a Super Bowl Season THIS YEAR, but really really doubt that now. GO Brett...I'm a Jet fan now as much as I support the Pack...Hope to see both in the Super Bowl.

mmmdk
08-07-2008, 04:25 AM

Don't get me wrong, I think we will sorely miss "Greybeard" and he'll do wonders in NY. But his emotions really screwed with the team's preparations.

I will hate seeing him in a different uni. I am glad the team can now focus on the season with everything settled.

I'm with the Aussie; I feel the same way.

SnakeLH2006
08-07-2008, 04:48 AM

"His emotions eh??"...Damn you EVER play 16 years doing crazy shit and hear/know you are UNWANTED? Regardless of what all the shit's been done...The man remade GB with various staffs and showed no drop off last year....Let the mofo play....This shit is insane in the brain.

Tarlam!
08-07-2008, 06:03 AM
"His emotions eh??"...Damn you EVER play 16 years doing crazy shit and hear/know you are UNWANTED? Regardless of what all the shit's been done...The man remade GB with various staffs and showed no drop off last year....Let the mofo play....This shit is insane in the brain.

Yup. He single handidly revived the Franchise. Wolf, Holmgren and White had nothing to do with it. And, Harlan was a chump.

And the entire organization should have bowed down on their KNEES to beg for him to come back. TT should have said THANK YOU BRETT after every piece of slime the Favre camp threw at the organization.

TravisWilliams23
08-07-2008, 06:12 AM
I agree with Tarlam.
Been a Packers fan since Lombardi. I remember the feeling of loss when Vince retired as coach. Lombardi got the "itch" to coach again but WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER demanding his old coaching job back from Phil Bengston. He knew he had made a tremendous mistake but had the character to not screw up the Packers by demanding to get his old job back.
That's the negative I will remember with Brett. Loved him to death for 16 years and hope time will heal the hurt he feels towards the Packers so he can have his legacy here honored properly. # 4 will be retired as should be.
Best of luck Brett and best of luck Packers!

mission
08-07-2008, 06:22 AM

I think over the last few days you've easily qualified yourself as the stupidest PR poster ...

Lurker64
08-07-2008, 06:27 AM
I think over the last few days you've easily qualified yourself as the stupidest PR poster ...

I can't tell if he's Tank, or if he just wants to be Tank...

Fritz
08-07-2008, 06:51 AM

Same here. The sad day in terms of mourning was the day he retired. The sadness now is the sadness of having watched both sides bungle this and the media then turning into even more of a mess.

I'm glad it's over.

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 06:54 AM

This is probably going nowhere cause I've never actually gotten an answer to this question, but here goes. Can one of you TT haters please explain why you think he has a big ego? He has anything but an ego.

Is it because he got rid of all the SB players? Newsflash, we won the SB 11 years ago. There's a reason those players are gone.

Because he doesn't draft the big name players? That's turned out pretty well.

Because Rodgers is our starting QB and TT picked him? Well, Rodgers has been riding the pine for 3 years, so it's not like TT has been going out of his way to get him playing time.

Because the organization said no to Favre? TT must hate Favre right? Then why did he welcome him back in March? Why, for the past several offseasons, has he been in contact with Brett and always told him to make more time in making a decision?

Because he didn't take into account Favre's personnel decisions? I don't give a fuck. Favre isn't the GM.

It absolutely baffles me when people say this about TT. They use it as some excuse in their backing of Favre in order to bring TT down a notch. The Packers' decision wasn't ego, or jealousy of Favre, or TT hating Favre. It was a business decision.

imscott72
08-07-2008, 07:02 AM

This is probably going nowhere cause I've never actually gotten an answer to this question, but here goes. Can one of you TT haters please explain why you think he has a big ego? He has anything but an ego.

Is it because he got rid of all the SB players? Newsflash, we won the SB 11 years ago. There's a reason those players are gone.

Because Rodgers is our starting QB and TT picked him? Well, Rodgers has been riding the pine for 3 years, so it's not like TT has been going out of his way to get him playing time.

Because the organization said no to Favre? TT must hate Favre right? Then why did he welcome him back in March? Why, for the past several offseasons, has he been in contact with Brett and always told him to make more time in making a decision?

Because he didn't take into account Favre's personnel decisions? I don't give a fuck. Favre isn't the GM.

It absolutely baffles me when people say this about TT. They use it as some excuse in their backing of Favre in order to bring TT down a notch. The Packers' decision wasn't ego, or jealousy of Favre, or TT hating Favre. It was a business decision.

Not too mention the 20 million dollar marketing deal they offered him even if he did play for someone else. How many teams would do that?

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Lombardi got the "itch" to coach again but WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER demanding his old coaching job back from Phil Bengston. He knew he had made a tremendous mistake but had the character to not screw up the Packers by demanding to get his old job back.

True, although things were a little different 40 years ago in the NFL. Favre probably would've just gone elsewhere, but there is a little thing called collective bargaining that made the situation more difficult for Favre in terms of leaving.

Lombardi was in essence a "free agent" the minute he retired.

Favre was not.

Fritz
08-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I keep asking the same question myself, Bossman.

footballfever
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
It is a sad day in Green Bay. To deny that, is to deny/forget the last 16 years of Packer history. Those bashing Favre the last few weeks/months aren't looking at it from that perspective. Good luck to Brett Favre and thank you for being a Green Bay Packer all these years! He will be missed.

Don't be stupid, as probably the biggest anti favre/pro organization people out there I can tell you that it's not about favre the player its about favre the person. He's an awful person, and he has a lot of less than redeemable characteristics. I'm saddened at how this all went down, but I understand that Brett alone stands responsible for it so it's a relief. He tore down 16 years of reputable character in 2 months. I'm glad he's gone and I wish him luck and I thank him for his service here, but I won't miss him. I won't miss what he's done to us over the last couple months and it will probably take a few years to forgive him. TT built a strong team and coach mccarthy is a great coach and now they stand to lose the most in this situation because of narrow minded people like you, swooning over Brett like some awestruck teen at a Backstreet Boy concert. Get over it and let it go. Don't let this hate spill over into the season, the offseason has been hard enough.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
It makes me sad too now that Brett is gone. But that's the only emotion involved. TT is doing his job. It has nothing to do with his emotions, ID or Ego. He believes Arod is the best quarterback today and going forward. We'll all be cursing TT when we watch ARod first few pics(he's gonna have 'em) and Brett turns in a great game on national TV against the Pats.. But he's made a football decision and I think the right one. I happen to be optimistic about ARod, his tools and especially whats between his ears.

ND72
08-07-2008, 08:19 AM

Pretty much disagree with most of what you say about Packer Management, mostly because Brett Favre did this to himself. But that being said, it is a sad day to see him moved. But, we gotta move on. We are still a good football team. And whether you admit it or not, Ted Thompson built this team up. I have supported the Packers desicions since day 1 of this, but it is hard to see him go.

And by the way, I do hope you all saw or heard in the quick interview of Brett's at the airport when he said, "I had no intention of playing in Green Bay.".....

ND72
08-07-2008, 08:23 AM

well said. :glug:

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 08:25 AM

well said. :glug:

Ditto.

LL2
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM

Pretty much disagree with most of what you say about Packer Management, mostly because Brett Favre did this to himself. But that being said, it is a sad day to see him moved. But, we gotta move on. We are still a good football team. And whether you admit it or not, Ted Thompson built this team up. I have supported the Packers desicions since day 1 of this, but it is hard to see him go.

And by the way, I do hope you all saw or heard in the quick interview of Brett's at the airport when he said, "I had no intention of playing in Green Bay.".....

What a prick! I did not see that quote. I still love the guy and wish hime well...but I'm a Packer fan first...I wonder if Favre will retire a Packer or attend a retire his number ceremony? Probably not as long as TT or M3 are there.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM

Was this quote on Brett's way INTO Green Bay or on his way OUT. Either way it kind of shows the game he was playing. I always suspected his trip into Green Bay was a sham, a way to call the Packers' bluff. Unfortunately for Favre, MM stared him down and turned the tables.

ND72
08-07-2008, 08:37 AM

Was this quote on Brett's way INTO Green Bay or on his way OUT. Either way it kind of shows the game he was playing. I always suspected his trip into Green Bay was a sham, a way to call the Packers' bluff. Unfortunately for Favre, MM stared him down and turned the tables.

OUT

swede
08-07-2008, 08:41 AM

Just heard the news, and I agree with Tar.

In the past, Brett has messed with the team to try to get them to pick up Moss or hire Mooch as coach, using "retirement" as his club. This season he played the same game using himself as the player he wanted the team to pick up.

This could have been done so much more professionally if Brett had gone to TT and MM in private and said he wanted to play again--if you don't want me then find me a team who does want me.

I wish Brett the best of luck and am thankful for the memories. But anyone who says this situation was the Packers' fault is living in utter denial of the facts.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I, too, disagree with the original poster and agree with Tarlam--to some extent. I'd stop short of saying "great day", and just say fairly good day--business as usual--an acceptable compromise.

Ironically, this whole mess sort of stems from the fact that Aaron Rodgers fell so far in the draft. Thompson snapped him up as a spur-of-the-moment bargain; Favre took it the wrong way; Thompson decided to move up the time table for moving on rather than letting the Rodgers pick go to waste; Favre got pissy about the whole thing; The Packers stood firm; And here we are.

Maybe a better result would have been if Favre had not made the irrational decision to retire; Maybe, however, Rodgers will do better in '08 than Favre would have anyway. The ONLY reason in the net effect that today is BETTER than if Favre had just left well enough alone and stayed retired is that the Packers now have a draft pick they wouldn't have had otherwise.

LL2
08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I think the Q and A by John Clayton below. M3 is my man. He did what was best for the team, and yes he's a no-nonsense guy. TT and M3 built the team to a 13-3 team last year...and they can do it again this year.

Q. Who is the biggest winner in this trade?

A: I'd put my money on Packers coach Mike McCarthy. He felt Favre's attitude would have caused damage in his locker room and he stayed true to his word that he was committed to Aaron Rodgers. McCarthy won a few fans here -- obviously none in Favre's camp -- after his lengthy news conference Tuesday. He's a no-nonsense guy but he's loyal to the players. Against tremendous pressure, McCarthy felt Favre wasn't committed to the Packers and wore Favre down in more than 10 hours of talks. Now, the pressure is on McCarthy to win with Rodgers.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Exactly. There's a little thing called the record this season that will determine whether McCarthy/Thompson are winners or not.

I, too, however, am confident they will be and Rodgers will do just fine.

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM

One more point, TT put Favre on the active roster the second he got reinstated. It was MM who decided he wasn't going to be handed the starting job outright (that's the coaches job, not the GM's job). It was Favre who decided he didn't want to compete for the job.

packinpatland
08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3523173&sportCat=nfl

From green and gold to green and white. From, "Go, Pack, Go" to "J-E-T-S." From the NFL's smallest market to the league's largest.

Brett Favre's life did a 180 late Wednesday night, and it happened because Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson didn't trust Favre, and Favre didn't trust Thompson.

Drag a razor across this controversy's beard and that's what you'll find under the stubble -- distrust, too much scar tissue and the simple yet mind-boggling fact that Packers management thinks Favre isn't good enough to win. If it thought otherwise, Favre wouldn't be the quarterback of the New York Jets today.

Anyway, so much for the Packers wanting to protect Favre's "legacy." Remember that bit of PR fiction? The benevolent, caring Packers would be there to safeguard all things Brett -- that's what they said. But the protection broke down when Favre decided to unretire and return to Green Bay.

Favre is a Jet because Thompson didn't want him to be a Packer. Or a Minnesota Viking. And who can forget that heartfelt "crossing the Rubicon" statement by Packers team president Mark Murphy when Favre was reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Any icier and you could have played hockey on it.

Brett Favre as he left Green Bay...ultimately for the last time as a Packer.
For all those Favre critics who insist he's a drama queen, remember that he could have stayed in Green Bay, practiced, competed in an open competition with Aaron Rodgers and dared Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy to keep him on the bench. But he didn't. He left after several days because he has more respect for the Packers than the Packers have for him.

Packers management thought Favre wouldn't push for reinstatement and report to camp, but he did. It thought he would take its $25 million of get-lost money, but he didn't. It thought it could break his will by refusing to release him or trade him to the Vikings, but it couldn't.

And nice job on accusing the Vikings of tampering (the Vikes were cleared of any wrongdoing). Plus, wasn't it interesting that someone leaked a story that Favre allegedly called the Vikings on a Packers-issued cell phone (also untrue).

If this were a divorce, then Favre would be the one getting the alimony. The Packers were so eager to ditch the NFL's all-time leader in passing yards, touchdowns and victories by a QB that they reduced the bidding war to two teams (the Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers). And they settled for a conditional fourth-round pick, which will bump up to a third-rounder if Favre takes 50 percent of the snaps (duh), and a second-rounder if he takes 70 percent of the snaps and the Jets reach the playoffs.

Instead of Favre -- who earlier last season helped lead the Packers to the NFC Championship Game and finished second in the league's MVP voting -- Thompson would rather have three quarterbacks on his roster with a combined zero NFL starts. He'd rather have Rodgers than the most durable quarterback in the history of the game.

The Brett Favre saga in Green Bay might be nearing a conclusion after the unretired quarterback said he and the team might be better off without each other. A look at how the story has unfolded:

Aug. 6: Traded to New York Jets for conditional draft pick.

Aug. 5: Left practice facility in the afternoon ... did not practice with the team ... met with Packers officials to discuss trade options ... tells ESPN's Chris Mortensen "the best thing for this team is for us to part ways" ... considers talking to the Buccaneers about a possible trade.

Aug. 4: Favre reports to training camp and is added to active roster after passing physical

Aug. 3: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstates Favre

July 31: Favre offered $25 million to not report to camp

July 30: Meets with Packers president Mark Murphy in Mississippi

July 29: Faxes reinstatement request to NFL

July 25: Favre tells Packers he plans to report to training camp

July 19: Returns to Lambeau Field to attend Packers Hall of Fame ceremony

July 16: Packers file tampering charges with NFL against Vikings

July 11: Packers receive letter from Favre formally requesting release

July 8: Favre asks for release with understanding he won't be starter

July 6: Sends text message to Packers GM Ted Thompson

July 2: Favre says reports of return were "all rumor"

June 20: Favre tells coach Mike McCarthy he may want to play again

April 9: Says he might consider comeback if opportunity was presented

April 4: Agent reportedly contacts teams to gauge trade interest

April 3: Denies rumors of a comeback

March 6: Favre conducts retirement news conference

Jan. 20: Packers lose NFC Championship Game to the Giants in OT
-- Compiled by ESPN Research Why? It isn't just because Favre wanted to unretire. It can't be. It has to be something as fundamental as Thompson (and maybe McCarthy, too) having lost faith in Favre's ability to win games. If so, Thompson miscalculated yet again.

Thompson's future now depends on Rodgers. If Rodgers gets hurt, the Packers are done. If Rodgers can't handle the pressure, the Packers are done. And Thompson with them.

Of the two finalists for Favre, the Jets actually made the most sense. The Buccaneers already have Jeff Garcia, who made the Pro Bowl last season. Meanwhile, the Jets are underwhelmed by Chad Pennington, who is minutes away from getting released because of his $6 million salary, and Kellen Clemens.

The Jets spent $140 million during the offseason on players. They upgraded their offensive line by signing guard Alan Faneca, who will fit in nicely on the left side with tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson. They upgraded their defensive line (nose tackle Kris Jenkins). They have Thomas Jones at running back (1,119 yards last season). They have Laveranues Coles at wide receiver.

Yes, they're in the same division as the New England Patriots. But they're also in the same division as the Miami Dolphins and the Buffalo Bills. They play Oakland, Kansas City, St. Louis and San Francisco. A nine-win season, maybe a game better, isn't inconceivable. At least, not any more inconceivable than Favre in New York.

It will be strange to see Favre in a Jets helmet. It would have been strange to see him in any helmet that didn't have the game's best logo -- that classic G -- on the side.

On the Jets' Web site, you can already purchase a Favre replica jersey for $80. There's also a tortured headline that reads, "DO QB-LIEVE IT? BRETT FAVRE IS A JET."

No, I don't believe it. Not because he's a Jet, but because Thompson just traded the best quarterback on his roster.

"It is with sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire that will allow us to move the team and organization forward in the most positive way," Murphy and Thompson said in a joint statement.

Sadness? Thompson never wanted Favre back to begin with. Plus, the Packers got a draft pick out of it, they saved $25 million in bribe money, and they're still selling Favre jerseys for $179.95. So enough already with the fake sadness thing.

But if I'm a Packers fan, I fly my team flag at half-mast today. Or better yet, raise a Jets flag.

They're only $20 at Jets Shop.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 09:08 AM
I agree with Clayton, except his last line is hype ("Now, the pressure is on McCarthy to win with Rodgers.").

There is always "pressure" to win in the NFL. If the Packers had allowed Favre to return and start, there would have been pressure on M3 to win with Favre.

As far as my own opinion goes, there's no extraordinary pressure on M3 to win with Rodgers. I simply enjoy M3 (and TT) go about his business. He's honest, no nonsense, speaks his mind and sticks to his guns. He plays the brand of football I enjoy watching (zone blocking, controlled passing, bump and run). And now he's incorporating blitzing LB's into his system (at least that's the rumor).

So it's going to be a fantastic season watching football. Of course it's going to be better watching if the Pack plays well and advances deep into the playoffs. But then it would have been better watching last year if the Pack had gone to the Super Bowl.

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 09:13 AM

Are you referring to the interview of when he landed in MS, yesterday? I've seen that interview over and over and didn't hear him say that at all. He said that returning to GB was more or less a formality.

I'm just curious what interview you are referring to?

LL2
08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
But if I'm a Packers fan, I fly my team flag at half-mast today. Or better yet, raise a Jets flag.

If you are a true Packer fan you will do no such thing..who the heck is this hack writing this?

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM

If you are a true Packer fan you will do no such thing..who the heck is this hack writing this?

Big surprise that article is coming from Gene W over at ESPN. Every article he's done has been 100% pro Favre.

Zool
08-07-2008, 09:31 AM

Big surprise that article is coming from Gene W over at ESPN. Every article he's done has been 100% pro Favre.

The reason that no fan should ever be a sports writer.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 09:33 AM

The reason that no fan should ever be a sports writer.

or bet on sports! too much emotion.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
PIP, you keep quoting guys that are on Favre's jock. This Wojo guy has been far from balanced. You need to post some articles of guys that have no stake in the race, as they say.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3517748&sportCat=nfl
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3508012&sportCat=nfl
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3485214&sportCat=nfl
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=3475850&sportCat=nfl

He's one of the main reasons people call it FavreSPN.

packinpatland
08-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Would you suggest I just quote the very professional Dr. Z?
Come on, everyone quotes whoever helps to prove their point.
I'm not ashamed to admit I am pro-Favre and very biased.
I still feel that no other player for any other team as done more to put their team on the NFL map.
I am a Packer fan, and am hoping Mr. Rodgers does well......it will be awhile before I will call him 'leader of the Pack'...........maybe in time. :wink:

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 10:03 AM
No, I don't believe it. Not because he's a Jet, but because Thompson just traded the best quarterback on his roster.

At Favre's request...

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 10:08 AM
My God, Gene W is just brutal.....

For all those Favre critics who insist he's a drama queen, remember that he could have stayed in Green Bay, practiced, competed in an open competition with Aaron Rodgers and dared Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy to keep him on the bench. But he didn't. He left after several days because he has more respect for the Packers than the Packers have for him.

Give me a break. :roll:

hoosier
08-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Absolutely agree with the post, and also with the conviction that the TT bashers are completely unable to substantiate their constant refrain ("ego, ego, ego") with any credible evidence. The idea that TT has a big ego, or that his managerial decisions are ego-driven, is laughable.

(:lol:)

The ego thing always comes up when the Packers get rid of an old favorite, but I have a feeling that anti-TT sentiment among many fans is personal, and that the ego thing is a way of saying they just don't like the guy (though of course they could never just say that without sounding petty, so they have to invent something less personal sounding). What's there to dislike about TT or his public image? Is it because of how he comes across in media events, as lacking charimsa, evasive, whatever?

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Would you suggest I just quote the very professional Dr. Z?
Come on, everyone quotes whoever helps to prove their point.

Dr. Z is a Favre hater. I wouldn't quote him. You can quote whomever you want, but it's not going to be taken as seriously if it's from a Dr. Z or Wojo. There are some guys that you know will slant an article a certain way. They have extreme bias. I avoid posting articles from those guys--no matter if they agree with me or not. And when I do post an article by a guy like that, I usually let it be known that this guy has an extreme bias. For example, when I post an article from Vinnie Iyer, I usually say that Vinnie has been on the Packers bandwagon for quite some time. It's like politics. It's intellectually honest to say certain papers normally slant an article a certain way and then let people judge the content knowing the bias of that writer.

Anyways! Let's put this behind us. Root for the Packers. Root for the Jets, if you desire. (I will.) Let's get ready for some Green Bay Packers football.

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I just hope our QB situation doesn't mirror our WR situation from 3 years ago when we resorted to starting people named Taco because TT refused to bring in more help at the position when we were decimated by injuries. We lost Walker in week #1 and TT did nothing. Perhaps he had his own plan on wanting Sherman out the door and didn't want to do anything to help him at all, but still.

I think Rodgers will do fine and it's not his abilities that I'm worried about. It's him getting hurt and not having a back-up plan when that happens. Just kind of a scary feeling of Deja Vu, that's all.

Pacopete4
08-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I just hope our QB situation doesn't mirror our WR situation from 3 years ago when we resorted to starting people named Taco because TT refused to bring in more help at the position when we were decimated by injuries. We lost Walker in week #1 and TT did nothing. Perhaps he had his own plan on wanting Sherman out the door and didn't want to do anything to help him at all, but still.

I think Rodgers will do fine and it's not his abilities that I'm worried about. It's him getting hurt and not having a back-up plan when that happens. Just kind of a scary feeling of Deja Vu, that's all.

Do you think anywhere in that trade there is a clause that says if Arod gets hurt, we get Favre back?.... cuz we might be screwed if he Arod goes down

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Vince Lombardi would have traded him to the Eagles way the fuck back on June 21st. If anything, the Packers management fucked up here by letting it drag out so long. They didn't make a mistake by trading him.

I agree with Bretsky in that if MM were the one really running the show, this whole thing would have been resolved a month ago. But I'm not sure the end result would have been any different.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Same here. The sad day in terms of mourning was the day he retired. The sadness now is the sadness of having watched both sides bungle this and the media then turning into even more of a mess.

I'm glad it's over.

Fully agree. I've been on the Aaron Rodgers bandwagon since March. Remember the 5 stages of grieving thread? I thought we had all reached the end of that already, so I didn't think saying goodbye to a player we had already said goodbye to would have been all that difficult. It's not like Favre JUST left us. He left us 5 months ago.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Actually, I don't think our WR depth was a surprise. We had two great WRs and a decent backup, but Thompson hadn't been here long enough to build the depth behind those guys. Can't really fault him for Terrence Murphy getting injured. Can't expect him to pick up somebody much better than the a Taco Wallace type player after the season started.

I have a feeling that Thompson is going to take the preseason to evaluate whether Brohm or Flynn is capable of guiding the team for a game or two. Why take snaps away from the three guys on the roster. If not, he'll grab a veteran. Culpepper is still available. I think Quinn Gray is available again.

Zool
08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I still think Simms will be available, and he has starting XP.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 10:32 AM

Bart Starr is still available too, unless the Jets or Vikings have already signed him.

Zool
08-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Bart Starr is still available too, unless the Jets or Vikings have already signed him.

I was going with Chris not Phil. I dont think Phil can cut it anymore.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 10:39 AM

I was going with Chris not Phil. I dont think Phil can cut it anymore.

Thanks for clearing that up... :)

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 10:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3523173&sportCat=nfl

From green and gold to green and white. From, "Go, Pack, Go" to "J-E-T-S." From the NFL's smallest market to the league's largest.

Brett Favre's life did a 180 late Wednesday night, and it happened because Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson didn't trust Favre, and Favre didn't trust Thompson.

Drag a razor across this controversy's beard and that's what you'll find under the stubble -- distrust, too much scar tissue and the simple yet mind-boggling fact that Packers management thinks Favre isn't good enough to win. If it thought otherwise, Favre wouldn't be the quarterback of the New York Jets today.

Anyway, so much for the Packers wanting to protect Favre's "legacy." Remember that bit of PR fiction? The benevolent, caring Packers would be there to safeguard all things Brett -- that's what they said. But the protection broke down when Favre decided to unretire and return to Green Bay.

Favre is a Jet because Thompson didn't want him to be a Packer. Or a Minnesota Viking. And who can forget that heartfelt "crossing the Rubicon" statement by Packers team president Mark Murphy when Favre was reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Any icier and you could have played hockey on it.

Brett Favre as he left Green Bay...ultimately for the last time as a Packer.

Packers management thought Favre wouldn't push for reinstatement and report to camp, but he did. It thought he would take its $25 million of get-lost money, but he didn't. It thought it could break his will by refusing to release him or trade him to the Vikings, but it couldn't.

And nice job on accusing the Vikings of tampering (the Vikes were cleared of any wrongdoing). Plus, wasn't it interesting that someone leaked a story that Favre allegedly called the Vikings on a Packers-issued cell phone (also untrue).

If this were a divorce, then Favre would be the one getting the alimony. The Packers were so eager to ditch the NFL's all-time leader in passing yards, touchdowns and victories by a QB that they reduced the bidding war to two teams (the Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers). And they settled for a conditional fourth-round pick, which will bump up to a third-rounder if Favre takes 50 percent of the snaps (duh), and a second-rounder if he takes 70 percent of the snaps and the Jets reach the playoffs.

Instead of Favre -- who earlier last season helped lead the Packers to the NFC Championship Game and finished second in the league's MVP voting -- Thompson would rather have three quarterbacks on his roster with a combined zero NFL starts. He'd rather have Rodgers than the most durable quarterback in the history of the game.

The Brett Favre saga in Green Bay might be nearing a conclusion after the unretired quarterback said he and the team might be better off without each other. A look at how the story has unfolded:

Aug. 6: Traded to New York Jets for conditional draft pick.

Aug. 5: Left practice facility in the afternoon ... did not practice with the team ... met with Packers officials to discuss trade options ... tells ESPN's Chris Mortensen "the best thing for this team is for us to part ways" ... considers talking to the Buccaneers about a possible trade.

Aug. 4: Favre reports to training camp and is added to active roster after passing physical

Aug. 3: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstates Favre

July 31: Favre offered $25 million to not report to camp

July 30: Meets with Packers president Mark Murphy in Mississippi

July 29: Faxes reinstatement request to NFL

July 25: Favre tells Packers he plans to report to training camp

July 19: Returns to Lambeau Field to attend Packers Hall of Fame ceremony

July 16: Packers file tampering charges with NFL against Vikings

July 11: Packers receive letter from Favre formally requesting release

July 8: Favre asks for release with understanding he won't be starter

July 6: Sends text message to Packers GM Ted Thompson

July 2: Favre says reports of return were "all rumor"

June 20: Favre tells coach Mike McCarthy he may want to play again

April 9: Says he might consider comeback if opportunity was presented

April 4: Agent reportedly contacts teams to gauge trade interest

April 3: Denies rumors of a comeback

March 6: Favre conducts retirement news conference

Jan. 20: Packers lose NFC Championship Game to the Giants in OT
-- Compiled by ESPN Research Why? It isn't just because Favre wanted to unretire. It can't be. It has to be something as fundamental as Thompson (and maybe McCarthy, too) having lost faith in Favre's ability to win games. If so, Thompson miscalculated yet again.

Thompson's future now depends on Rodgers. If Rodgers gets hurt, the Packers are done. If Rodgers can't handle the pressure, the Packers are done. And Thompson with them.

Of the two finalists for Favre, the Jets actually made the most sense. The Buccaneers already have Jeff Garcia, who made the Pro Bowl last season. Meanwhile, the Jets are underwhelmed by Chad Pennington, who is minutes away from getting released because of his $6 million salary, and Kellen Clemens.

The Jets spent $140 million during the offseason on players. They upgraded their offensive line by signing guard Alan Faneca, who will fit in nicely on the left side with tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson. They upgraded their defensive line (nose tackle Kris Jenkins). They have Thomas Jones at running back (1,119 yards last season). They have Laveranues Coles at wide receiver.

Yes, they're in the same division as the New England Patriots. But they're also in the same division as the Miami Dolphins and the Buffalo Bills. They play Oakland, Kansas City, St. Louis and San Francisco. A nine-win season, maybe a game better, isn't inconceivable. At least, not any more inconceivable than Favre in New York.

It will be strange to see Favre in a Jets helmet. It would have been strange to see him in any helmet that didn't have the game's best logo -- that classic G -- on the side.

On the Jets' Web site, you can already purchase a Favre replica jersey for $80. There's also a tortured headline that reads, "DO QB-LIEVE IT? BRETT FAVRE IS A JET."

"It is with sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire that will allow us to move the team and organization forward in the most positive way," Murphy and Thompson said in a joint statement.

Sadness? Thompson never wanted Favre back to begin with. Plus, the Packers got a draft pick out of it, they saved $25 million in bribe money, and they're still selling Favre jerseys for $179.95. So enough already with the fake sadness thing.

They're only $20 at Jets Shop.Gee, another hit piece from Gene W. That guy is a complete piece of trash.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 10:57 AM

What in hades is sad about it??? Favre has a chance for a fresh start. The Packers ended a franchise-damaging saga.

Was it a sad day when Michael Jordan played pro baseball, or went ot Washington? Was it sad when Montana went to the chiefs? Sad when Wilt Chamberlain left the 76ers? This is life.

GEt a grip, lady.

Pugger
08-07-2008, 11:57 AM
The only thing sad about this entire mess was the fact that it dragged on so long. I think most Packers fans are RELIEVED that Favre has moved on. I think MM is a straight shooter and I believe him when he said Brett just couldn't get over the bitterness he felt over all the crap that happened this summer plus the fact that Brett couldn't committ 100%. If Brett thought he was "disrespected" by TT just wait until Brett starts throwing into coverage and the NY media and fans begin to howl. Because NY has a mediocre defense and a poor running game (there is a reason they were 4-11 last year) Brett will begin to force things at the worst possible times just like he did on occasion when he played here.

Oldwis
08-07-2008, 12:30 PM
The Packers' decision wasn't ego, or jealousy of Favre, or TT hating Favre. It was a business decision.

Everything you say is true. But Packer fans can get ready for a long sleep now, 'cause their ain't no excitement in town no mo'

Cordially,

Old Wis

CaliforniaCheez
08-07-2008, 12:38 PM
It is bad.

The new era of fragile QB's who must be protected even from themselves.

We will always be one tackle from dropping the season.

Brian Brohm has to be ready to start at any moment.

It all could have been put off a year when Brohm would be better.

A silver lining in this cloud is that the negotiation of the next contract with Rodgers will be easier because of the way the Packers ran off Brett Favre.

Packer management demonstrated unusual loyalty to Aaron Rogers. I hope it in fact helps.

Imagine running off Don Hutson or Vince Lombardi?

This is right up there with running off Curly Lambeau.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 12:55 PM
It is bad.

A silver lining in this cloud is that the negotiation of the next contract with Rodgers will be easier because of the way the Packers ran off Brett Favre.

Packer management demonstrated unusual loyalty to Aaron Rogers. I hope it in fact helps.

You should be careful when you reference Lombardi in this matter. I say again, and I am 100% confident in this, that Vince Lombardi would have Ringo'd Favre a month ago. Lombardi would have been a bigger hardass about this than Thompson, guaranteed.

packinpatland
08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
It is bad.

You should be careful when you reference Lombardi in this matter. I say again, and I am 100% confident in this, that Vince Lombardi would have Ringo'd Favre a month ago. Lombardi would have been a bigger hardass about this than Thompson, guaranteed.

I'm not at all sure about this...........Lombardi put up with alot from Hornung and Max.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
It is bad.

I'm not at all sure about this...........Lombardi put up with alot from Hornung and Max.

Players back then weren't as selfish. And I guarantee you money didn't play nearly as big a part as it does now.

wpony
08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
quote="GrnBay007"]It is a sad day in Green Bay. To deny that, is to deny/forget the last 16 years of Packer history. Those bashing Favre the last few weeks/months aren't looking at it from that perspective. Good luck to Brett Favre and thank you for being a Green Bay Packer all these years! He will be missed.[/quote]

Hi GrnBay007 I think most of these hatred posts were seeing is from the same people who have been posting over the yrs on how great Brett is how they love him what a God he is.
Forward to today the same people are asking for his head now there is a lot of hurt feelings thinking how could Brett do this to us ,There is always 2 sides from Brett's side it sounds like he told them many months ago he was thinking about it and thats when it sounds like TT made his first blunder he should have shown Brett a little more respect and i don't think we would have had the problems we do today.
Were the packers 100% at fault no was Brett no it is some where towards the middle but is the packers black eye dealing with it the packers fault yes square on TTs shoulders ,He had a chance to stop this before it even started but once it did he should have been swift in ending it ,
Brett ended going to 1 of the teams it was rumored about how long ago ? he should have traded him when he first found out it was beyond fixing.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi GrnBay007 I think most of these hatred posts were seeing is from the same people who have been posting over the yrs on how great Brett is how they love him what a God he is.
Forward to today the same people are asking for his head now there is a lot of hurt feelings thinking how could Brett do this to us ,There is always 2 sides from Brett's side it sounds like he told them many months ago he was thinking about it and thats when it sounds like TT made his first blunder he should have shown Brett a little more respect and i don't think we would have had the problems we do today.
Were the packers 100% at fault no was Brett no it is some where towards the middle but is the packers black eye dealing with it the packers fault yes square on TTs shoulders ,He had a chance to stop this before it even started but once it did he should have been swift in ending it ,
Brett ended going to 1 of the teams it was rumored about how long ago ? he should have traded him when he first found out it was beyond fixing.

Then Brett should have sent in his reinstatement papers earlier. Green Bay couldn't trade him until he was reinstated. They waited a whole 3 days after his being reinstated to get the deal done. How dare they take so long! :roll:

boiga
08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
...... yes square on TTs shoulders ,He had a chance to stop this before it even started but once it did he should have been swift in ending it ,
Brett ended going to 1 of the teams it was rumored about how long ago ? he should have traded him when he first found out it was beyond fixing. wpony, Favre refused to talk to the Bucs or Jets before monday, thus tying ted's hands. They couldn't trade him without his agreement and he was holding out to join the Vikes, which they wouldn't allow.

There really wasn't anything Thompson could do to end this earlier beyond letting Brett play for the Vikings.

gureski
08-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I couldn't be more disgusted with Packers management right now. The press conference confirmed much of what I felt. We are an embarassment and not because of Brett Favre....we are an embarassment because of the way management handled this.

After the mourning is through, Packer fans (regardless who you blame) should think about what this says to other players that consider G.B.. If they're willing to hang Favre out to dry than how will they handle me?

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM
I couldn't be more disgusted with Packers management right now. The press conference confirmed much of what I felt. We are an embarassment and not because of Brett Favre....we are an embarassment because of the way management handled this.

After the mourning is through, Packer fans (regardless who you blame) should think about what this says to other players that consider G.B.. If they're willing to hang Favre out to dry than how will they handle me?

Or, maybe I shouldn't go on Natl TV and trash the organization that has treated me like a king and given be tens of millions of dollars.

Joemailman
08-07-2008, 02:19 PM

What in hades is sad about it??? Favre has a chance for a fresh start. The Packers ended a franchise-damaging saga.

Was it a sad day when Michael Jordan played pro baseball, or went ot Washington? Was it sad when Montana went to the chiefs? Sad when Wilt Chamberlain left the 76ers? This is life.

GEt a grip, lady.

Shut up you grouchy old fart. Of course it's a sad day. Why don't you go share old stories with The Shadow and leave us alone? 007 can cry on my shoulder all she wants.

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 02:22 PM

GEt a grip, lady.

Shut up you grouchy old fart. Of course it's a sad day. Why don't you go share old stories with The Shadow and leave us alone? 007 can cry on my shoulder all she wants.

Hitting on 007 eh?

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I ain't grouchy, I'm dancing in the streets!

FAvre can still collect his "bribe" after he retires from the JEts. HE'll be back in the Packer family soon enough, a $25M employee. McCarthy said he & Favre even discussed his eventual return during his exit interview.

This move to the Jets is a win-win-win.

wpony
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I a just glad its over like I said I am a packer fan first and for ever and then a Brett fan how would I grade it?.

1)managent D- )I believe TT could have stoped this before it even started last winter just by talking to him

2)m3 B)I think he did better than any of us knew

3)Brett C-) most of us love him but he let his emotions cloud his actions but after 16 years being told your not need any more would hurt even if it was your fault after your use to having every one love you.

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I a just glad its over like I said I am a packer fan first and for ever and then a Brett fan how would I grade it?.

1)managent D- )I believe TT could have stoped this before it even started last winter just by talking to him

2)m3 B)I think he did better than any of us knew

3)Brett C-) most of us love him but he let his emotions cloud his actions but after 16 years being told your not need any more would hurt even if it was your fault after your use to having every one love you.

Management - B-
MM - B+
Favre - D

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Maybe. Of course the same could be said for Favre, why did he get a better grade?

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Or it could say to free agents that the Packers make a committment 100%. And if you can't meet them in that committment they don't want you anyway.

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Huh?

oregonpackfan
08-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I have been a Packer fan since '59. I cannot recall a more divisive, controversial, or publicized issue involving the Packers in all those years and that includes the John Hadl trade, the sexual assault allegations against James Loften and Mossy Cade, and the major flop of #1 pick Tony Mandarich.

As Harvey stated earlier in this thread, we all need to put the Favre saga behind us. Both McCarthy and Favre have also stated everyone needs to "move forward."

Furthermore, we fans need to be patient with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' offense. You cannot expect to replace a starting HOF quarterback of 17 years and expect the offense to pick up at the same level they had with Favre. It may not be until mid-season until the offense begins to gel.

Always remember we are Green Bay Packer fans--the most loyal pro football fans in the nation.

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 06:31 PM

Huh?He's a Favre sycophant. You know, ones who think Brett is a saint and can do no wrong. Isn't it obvious?

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 06:33 PM

Unfair assessment. I put most of the blame on Cook. TT did what TT is paid to do. He's running a football team not a summer camp.

gureski
08-07-2008, 09:45 PM

Huh?He's a Favre sycophant. You know, ones who think Brett is a saint and can do no wrong. Isn't it obvious?

Doesn't the need to label me say more about you and your lack of objectivity than me? I mean, I didn't say Favre was a saint. I said I was disgusted with management and I am....as most all fans should be at this point. Is this a matter to some of you where anyone who criticizes management is automatically discredited?

This was a pathetic display and it occurred in front of the entire Nation. I think management bungled this beyond belief all the way to McCarthy's ridiculous statements in the post-trade press conference. They couldn't have set out to screw this up more than they did. If you can't see that than maybe there is something wrong with you. Better yet...maybe you're just a Favre-hater.

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Doesn't the need to label me say more about you and your lack of objectivity than me? I mean, I didn't say Favre was a saint. I said I was disgusted with management and I am....as most all fans should be at this point. Is this a matter to some of you where anyone who criticizes management is automatically discredited?

This was a pathetic display and it occurred in front of the entire Nation. I think management bungled this beyond belief all the way to McCarthy's ridiculous statements in the post-trade press conference. They couldn't have set out to screw this up more than they did. If you can't see that than maybe there is something wrong with you. Better yet...maybe you're just a Favre-hater.When you say the Packers are an embarasment becuase of management and not Brett Favre you have to by a Favre sycophant becuase you just implied that Brett has done no wrong. Brett Favre has made the Packers an embarassment? Did you forget the Greta interview? Did you forget all the press leaks leading to hit pieces from that great source of unbiased journalism ESPN? Those of fair minded fans realize that BOTH sides are to blame. You on the other hand are so far up Brett's ass that yoiu can't see that and automatically blame management for everything. Brett Favre has made the Packers an embarassment far more than management has.

gex
08-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Please sea the Hater thread page 1 in the romper room to know who is who.

gex
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I have been a Packer fan since '59. I cannot recall a more divisive, controversial, or publicized issue involving the Packers in all those years and that includes the John Hadl trade, the sexual assault allegations against James Loften and Mossy Cade, and the major flop of #1 pick Tony Mandarich.

As Harvey stated earlier in this thread, we all need to put the Favre saga behind us. Both McCarthy and Favre have also stated everyone needs to "move forward."
Furthermore, we fans need to be patient with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' offense. You cannot expect to replace a starting HOF quarterback of 17 years and expect the offense to pick up at the same level they had with Favre. It may not be until mid-season until the offense begins to gel.

Always remember we are Green Bay Packer fans--the most loyal pro football fans in the nation.

I think this won't be over untill the current administation has been removed. As long as they currently run this show there will be a divide.
However, when the next GM, QB, and coach take over this great franchise, all will be united again. :D

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 10:40 PM

I think this won't be over untill the current administation has been removed. As long as they currently run this show there will be a divide.
However, when the next GM, QB, and coach take over this great franchise, all will be united again. :D

Terrific idea! Let's remove the administration that has turned the Packers into contenders - built to be very good for a long time - and rehire Mike Sherman, who was a truly wonderful GM, and who allowed his quarterback
to remain blissfully free of all accountability.

gex
08-07-2008, 10:47 PM

Terrific idea! Let's remove the administration that has turned the Packers into contenders - built to be very good for a long time - and rehire Mike Sherman, who was a truly wonderful GM, and who allowed his quarterback

I didn't mean they had to go now, But there's gonna be hard fealings untill they are gone.

Or they win a superbowl.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 10:59 PM

gex is keeping a list. :lol:

some day when there is a series of murders in WI, all bludgeonings with a BF statuette, I wonder if anybody will be able to connect the dots.

gex
08-07-2008, 11:03 PM

I didn't mean they had to go now, But there's gonna be hard fealings untill they are gone.

Or they win a superbowl.

gex
08-07-2008, 11:07 PM

gex is keeping a list. :lol:

some day when there is a series of murders in WI, all bludgeonings with a BF statuette, I wonder if anybody will be able to connect the dots.

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry"
<<<<<<<

Pugger
08-08-2008, 08:48 AM

Or, maybe I shouldn't go on Natl TV and trash the organization that has treated me like a king and given be tens of millions of dollars.

Ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is amazing how many folks forget how arrogant Favre acted on Greta's show and how he trashed the team that made him a millionaire. Once I saw that I lost a h3ll of lot of love for the man. I'm with MM - let's move on! :roll:

gureski
08-08-2008, 09:27 AM
If just for a moment some of you could put the whole idea of taking sides out of the equation and just look at how this was handled, it may help you see my point.

Favre going on Greta and saying what he said showed poorly on him. He took some shots at the organization but in the end, most people agreed that he looked worse than the team at that point in time. In the end, what Favre said represented Favre. Favre saying and doing what he did didn't make the Packers an embarassment, which is what I said. He embarassed himself in that process. The organization still had class. It was management's mishandling of everything along the way that made this embarassing. As a manager in real life, I am faced with all kinds of problems and situations that I need to deal with. Regardless who is at fault, the job of management is to manage. They did a poor job of that in this process and they admitted as much in what they said (and what they wouldn't say) in the post-trade press conference. For crying out loud....they hired Fleischer for a reason and it wasn't because they had everything under control. I'm not sure people realize the behind the scenese magnitude of that move. You don't go to a political professional like Fleischer unless you've really screwed things up and you need major help getting out of it.

That's my stance on it. If you still want to say I feel this way because I'm a Favre-o-crate or whatever the hell that crap is all about then do it but I tried to show you where I'm coming from.

Gunakor
08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
If just for a moment some of you could put the whole idea of taking sides out of the equation and just look at how this was handled, it may help you see my point.

Favre going on Greta and saying what he said showed poorly on him. He took some shots at the organization but in the end, most people agreed that he looked worse than the team at that point in time. In the end, what Favre said represented Favre. Favre saying and doing what he did didn't make the Packers an embarassment, which is what I said. He embarassed himself in that process. The organization still had class. It was management's mishandling of everything along the way that made this embarassing. As a manager in real life, I am faced with all kinds of problems and situations that I need to deal with. Regardless who is at fault, the job of management is to manage. They did a poor job of that in this process and they admitted as much in what they said (and what they wouldn't say) in the post-trade press conference. For crying out loud....they hired Fleischer for a reason and it wasn't because they had everything under control. I'm not sure people realize the behind the scenese magnitude of that move. You don't go to a political professional like Fleischer unless you've really screwed things up and you need major help getting out of it.

That's my stance on it. If you still want to say I feel this way because I'm a Favre-o-crate or whatever the hell that crap is all about then do it but I tried to show you where I'm coming from.

This was kind of an unprecedented situation though. There was no script or playbook available to tell the Packers how this should have been handled.

The real problem here isn't that Favre was traded, it was that this circus was dragged out for over a month. While people are throwing blame around for that, the truth is there wasn't much that TT could do until Favre was reinstated.

Favre should have just sent in his papers, and this whole thing would have been handled immediately. That's why I blame Favre. Favre was reinstated on Monday. He was traded on Wednesday. Ted Thompson took a whole 2 days to work out a trade. Had Favre gotten himself reinstated at the beginning of July he'd have been traded at the beginning of July. Instead of sending in his papers he went to the media and took shots at members of the organization, and THAT is the biggest problem here. I'm not sure what more you could expect Packers management to do. They acted very quickly - and I mean VERY quickly - once Favre was reinstated. It wasn't the Packers that dragged this out.

hoosier
08-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Favre going on Greta and saying what he said showed poorly on him. He took some shots at the organization but in the end, most people agreed that he looked worse than the team at that point in time. In the end, what Favre said represented Favre. Favre saying and doing what he did didn't make the Packers an embarassment, which is what I said. He embarassed himself in that process. The organization still had class. It was management's mishandling of everything along the way that made this embarassing.

I would have an easier time looking at things from your point of view if you could provide some specifics. What exactly do feel was mishandled after the Fox interview with Greta? What realistic alternatives do you see in each instance?

My own view is that the Packers management was put in a very difficult position by Favre, who has become very high maintenance in his late career. Favre expected management to beg him to come back, and then to drop whatever plans they had in place and accept him back whenever the spirit moved him. Looking at how TT and the MMs dealt with the situation post-Greta, I think they painted themselves in a bad light by (a) appearing to waffle on the question of whether Favre would be allowed to compete for starting position and (b) appearing to offer a retirement bribe. In both cases I think the reality was something other, but that they helped create damaging appearances. But none of this would have happened, IMO, if Favre had chosen a less media-oriented approach to the situation, or if he had been willing to entertain a trade outside the NFCN from the get go. It was Favre's uncompromising arrogance, in my view, that was largely to blame for the mess that this became. I'd like to hear concretely how you see the situation differently.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
My sentiments exactly, Hoosier.

Freak Out
08-08-2008, 12:23 PM
I could not even bring myself to watch the interviews #4 did....I consider most television a waste of time plus I knew I would be embarrassed for him.