PDA

View Full Version : The Jets Just Became MY #2 Team

Tarlam!
08-07-2008, 04:13 AM
We've often bantered about teams we hate and teams we like that are not named Packers and play in the NFL.

I have always struggled to really pull for a team not named Packers. Shit, it took me close to 40 years to find my true NFL love.

(For those newb's who don't know about Tarlam!: I am an Aussie and Aussies LOVE all sports. I took to the NFL as a 10 year old, but I could never figure out what team to root for. Then, when I was close to 40, SC Johnson purchased the company Î worked for. I had found my NFL home. I was ecstatic the more I learned about #4 and the Packers).

As hard as my choice for #1 was, my choice for #2 was made easy. I read the forums from the Jets fans and how they feel they just collectively won the Power ball lottery! I like those fans! I like that Favre still has some Green in his new team. i like they are AFC. I hope they kick Brady's ASS!!!!

I have my second favourite team.

Thoughts?

PS: This is the 1st Favre thread I have started, so fuck off if you want to chastise me for starting a new thread.

SnakeLH2006
08-07-2008, 04:17 AM
New York sports fans are nuts and am sure to get ESPN hilights left and right with Favre in NY.....crazy shit...I'll tune in and root for them to got SB, doubt it but damn well will root for it.

mmmdk
08-07-2008, 04:28 AM
It'll take the spotlight away from Green Bay till kickoff which is good; Broadway Brett will get the attention alright.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 09:32 AM
I'll be rooting for the J-E-T-S while #4 plays for them.

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I already hate the Patriots, so having Brett play them twice a year with a chance to beat their cheating asses is fine with me.

Joemailman
08-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I want that 2nd round pick, so go Jets. Other than that, I don't really give a damn about anyone but the Packers.

swede
08-07-2008, 09:36 AM
The Jets are my #2 favorite team on draft day.

I love the way they boo the beejeezus out of stupid picks--and historically they're almost always stupid picks.

And---there is the cute little backstory of how Atlanta picked Favre before Ron Wolf could get him when he GMed for the Jets back in '91 or whatever it was. So Brett ends up where he was wanted most of all first of all.

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I already hate the Patriots, so having Brett play them twice a year with a chance to beat their cheating asses is fine with me.

Ditto

Hate the Patriots already. Always respected the Jets and liked them as my second fave team.

Works out perfect.

MTPackerfan
08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Jets are now my favorite AFC team but that wasn't too hard as I didn't have a favorite before yesterday. :lol:

LL2
08-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I want that 2nd round pick, so go Jets. Other than that, I don't really give a damn about anyone but the Packers.

Same here

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, it's all about the Packers. If it takes the Jets in the Super Bowl to upgrade the Packers draft pick, fine, I'm for it. Otherwise, let them lose lose lose. That way the pick comes earlier in the whatever round it is. .

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Obviously on Sundays I always tune into Fox, which carried the NFC mostly, but I never paid much attention to what AFC team was playing on CBS.

Do you think that WI will be carrying the Jets games on CBS this year? I mean, there really isn't an AFC team that is "local" for us, so wouldn't they think by carrying the Jets games in WI it would be good for market share and good advertising opportunities?

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Obviously on Sundays I always tune into Fox, which carried the NFC mostly, but I never paid much attention to what AFC team was playing on CBS.

Do you think that WI will be carrying the Jets games on CBS this year? I mean, there really isn't an AFC team that is "local" for us, so wouldn't they think by carrying the Jets games in WI it would be good for market share and good advertising opportunities?

Depends. I've always thought they decide the non-local games in two tiers.

1. Huge National Matchup (Equivalent of Cowboys v. Patriots)

2. Closest team to market (If you lived in Green Bay and the Bears were playing @ Indianapolis you'd get that game since Chicago is the closest city with a football team to GB)

But who knows? Maybe they will decide that playing the Jets would bring in bigger ratings and they'll change the system.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, it's all about the Packers. If it takes the Jets in the Super Bowl to upgrade the Packers draft pick, fine, I'm for it. Otherwise, let them lose lose lose. That way the pick comes earlier in the whatever round it is. .

If the Jets don't make the playoffs, the highest that pick could be is in the 3rd round. I'm still hoping for the Jets to be in the Super Bowl, but that isn't going to happen. Not in thier division, not in thier conference. But I do see them making the playoffs, and of course I see Favre taking at least 70% of the snaps. I'm hoping that this draft pick turns into the #55-#60 overall pick, so I will cheer for Brett Favre and the Jets to win just as I have cheered Brett Favre and the Packers.

The Jets winning or losing has no ramafication on the Packers chances at the Super Bowl, which is the only place they could even meet each other this year in the first place. You can cheer for them to win win win and it doesn't mean you are any less a Packer fan. Given the conditions of this trade, it would make you even more a Packer fan. This is an even bigger win than I anticipated, because if anything this should help once again unify Packer fans. Everybody should be rooting for the Packers. Because of the conditions of the trade, we should ALL be Brett Favre and New York Jets fans on top of it.

bbbffl66
08-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I've always disliked the Jets. When I was young, my second favorite team was the Colts and SB3 was tough to swallow. But now, go Gang Green I guess.

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 10:46 AM

Local WI TV isn't that intelligent. They show the shittiest games aside from the Packers.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 10:49 AM
I think the Jets just moved up about 20 slots on the pecking order for NAtional TV coverage.

retailguy
08-07-2008, 11:06 AM

Local WI TV isn't that intelligent. They show the shittiest games aside from the Packers.

The local station doesn't get "choice". They are given a game based on a formula approved by some "powers that be".

retailguy
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I think the Jets just moved up about 20 slots on the pecking order for NAtional TV coverage.

And, the Packers moved down about 20 spots too.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM

no way. the beat goes on.

retailguy
08-07-2008, 11:09 AM

no way. the beat goes on.

:) Yeah. Ok. Whatever.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 11:09 AM

When the TV schedules came out, nobody thought Favre was going to be playing anywhere this season. Yet the Packers still wound up with 3 nationally televised games, including the very first MNF game of the season. I think the nation still loves us a little.

mmmdk
08-07-2008, 11:10 AM

Ditto here; I loathe the Cheaters. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS! I wish Favre the best and Packers bringing back the Lombardi Trophy.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Favre will be 39 soon. He was showing some hints of decline last year. Great regular season, but some loss of intensity in big games.

The dream had to end soon regardless of how this saga played out.

Ya, Steve DeBerg played competently until he was about 57. But only competently.

retailguy
08-07-2008, 11:17 AM

When the TV schedules came out, nobody thought Favre was going to be playing anywhere this season. Yet the Packers still wound up with 3 nationally televised games, including the very first MNF game of the season. I think the nation still loves us a little.

How long we continue to be "loved" a little is in direct proportion to how "right" the Tedster was and how well A-Rod performs... For the better part of 16 years nationally televised games were to a certain extent a "guarantee". Those days are gone. Time will tell whether or not we get them back.

3 for this year was one better than I thought they'd get, I'll give you that, but don't tell me someone wasn't "hedging their bets" in case Favre came back...

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 11:25 AM
How long we continue to be "loved" a little is in direct proportion to how "right" the Tedster was and how well A-Rod performs... For the better part of 16 years nationally televised games were to a certain extent a "guarantee". Those days are gone. Time will tell whether or not we get them back.

3 for this year was one better than I thought they'd get, I'll give you that, but don't tell me someone wasn't "hedging their bets" in case Favre came back...

A little less attention now that Favre is gone, but we're still a marquee franchise in this league. Times have changed since the Dark Ages of 25-30 years ago. The NFL is a different league, and interest in the Packers has grown considerably. Unless we are the most pathetic franchise in the league for about 20 years, we won't be ignored.

Favre was on the team in 2006, but we didn't get one Monday Night Football game. That's because we sucked in 2005.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 11:25 AM

You could be right. Or they could be like me and are dying to see what the new kid can do with a very talented offense. I mean, think about it. Don't you wanna see?

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 11:26 AM
The Packers have a large nationwide network of fans. Doesn't that have something to do with it?

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 11:27 AM
You could be right. Or they could be like me and are dying to see what the new kid can do with a very talented offense. I mean, think about it. Don't you wanna see?

We are Packer fans.

Most of the rest of the nation is not.

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 11:28 AM
The Packers have a large nationwide network of fans. Doesn't that have something to do with it?

Yeah...but it is ignorant to not admit that Brett Favre drew plenty of national interest on his own even from non-Packer fans. He was a huge draw...any legendary QB is.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 11:30 AM

We are Packer fans.

Most of the rest of the nation is not.

Disagree, the Packers are as big all over the country as the Steelers. But this has nothing to do with the Packers, from thier perspective anyway. It's all about seeing what Aaron Rodgers can do, and that peakes thier interest. Especially now that Favre has been traded to the Jets. I mean, when the Niners traded Montana to the Chiefs, weren't you at least a little interested in seeing what Young could do? I know I was. And I've never been a Niners fan.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Yeah...but it is ignorant to not admit that Brett Favre drew plenty of national interest on his own even from non-Packer fans. He was a huge draw...any legendary QB is.

I'm not disputing that by any means. It just seems to me that there are more "Packer Bars" around the country than any other team bars, even counting the cowgirls.

Deputy Nutz
08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
What do you mean "2nd favorite team"?

The Jets are now my new favorite team. I lost a lot of respect in the Packers organization the last two months or so. I know I will take flack for saying it, and bash me about being a poor Packer fan, but really this was a huge black eye, and an embarrassment for the whole organization and I won't soon forget it. I blame Favre, but Favre is just a player, the Packers are an organization that should had enough hands on deck to deal with this in a more orderly fashion and not have dragged this mess two weeks into training camp.

I honestly hope Rodgers is able to recover from all this. Now with Favre in the league there are going to be comparisons on a daily basis. Since the controversy began, Rodgers has handled it reasonably well, but is play in camp has been average at best, and on family night it seemed he was playing with an 800 pound gorilla on his back. Hopefully if he has learned on thing from Favre, regardless of pressure, pain, coaching, whatever, go out on that field and give it your all, and play like there is no tomorrow. That is what Favre did best for the Packers, every Sunday. Favre played his ass off on that field, and he did it as carefree as anyone.

Honestly, things are going to be down hill for Favre from this point on. Do you really think the Jets are going to understand and accept it when Favre chucks up 20 picks this year? They don't understand "Thats Brett just being Brett". We as Packer fans have this undying love for Favre even when he fucks up, he has drawn us that close to him over the last 16 years. Jets fans just won't understand it, maybe it is better that way, he will get booed when he plays bad at home in the Meadowlands. Could you imagine him getting booed at Lambeau?

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Nutz,

Super XLII in Tampa. It's Packers vs. Jets.

Who do you root for?

Sactopackfan
08-07-2008, 11:43 AM

This^...God I hate the Pats, BB, Brady...Thank you Jets fans for my shiny new avatar:)

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I mean, when the Niners traded Montana to the Chiefs, weren't you at least a little interested in seeing what Young could do?

Not really...I mean, I will watch 80% of all nationally televised games anyway, so it isn't like I wouldn't watch anyway.

Plus, I think it is a stretch to compare Young's stature in the league when he took over the Niners to Rodgers' current stature.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Nutz, I agree with what you're saying about Rodgers and Favre in NY, but I think you're underestimating how difficult it is for management to deal with a player as emotional and indecisive as Favre. I'm not trying to argue about it, because the ball has already passed through the goal posts. I'm just making an observation.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
I mean, when the Niners traded Montana to the Chiefs, weren't you at least a little interested in seeing what Young could do?

Not really...I mean, I will watch 80% of all nationally televised games anyway, so it isn't like I wouldn't watch anyway.

Plus, I think it is a stretch to compare Young's stature in the league when he took over the Niners to Rodgers' current stature.

Do you remember Young's stature in the league when he took over for Montana? He was an awful QB going nowhere in Tampa. The Niners groomed him behind a legend for a couple years before trading away Montana because they thought Young was ready. Young stepped into a good situation being the QB of a very good offense.

Rodgers was never an awful QB going nowhere. He is a very highly rated QB prospect who, like Young, has been being groomed for a couple years behind a legend. A legend who was traded because Rodgers, like Young, is believed to be ready. He, like Young, is stepping into a good situation being the QB of a very good offense.

How is Young's stature in the NFL when he became the starter any better than Rodgers' stature now?

Deputy Nutz
08-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Nutz,

Who do you root for?

I go with the Jets. Really I do, funny, I choose the player over the franchise. Just the way it goes

Tarlam!
08-07-2008, 11:59 AM
What do you mean "2nd favorite team"? The Jets are now my new favorite team.

Step away from the bong or the bottle, Nutz. You've had enough!

I know you're disappointed, but no way you let the Packers slide in your book. No way. You're a Packer fan till the day you die.

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Nutz,

Who do you root for?

I go with the Jets. Really I do, funny, I choose the player over the franchise. Just the way it goes

If this had been handled in a more peaceful manner would you still feel this way? Or is it the Packers brass have caused you to revolt?

KYPack
08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Go have a few more beers, Nutz.

You're just suffering from "Post-Favretum" depression. You'll get over it with another 6-pack.

I have one friend who roots for a coach. He roots for whatever team Parcells is involved with.

But he's goofy and you aren't.

javqa
08-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Nutz, I agree with what you're saying about Rodgers and Favre in NY, but I think you're underestimating how difficult it is for management to deal with a player as emotional and indecisive as Favre.

thank you for shining the light :!:

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Nutz,

Who do you root for?

I can't say that I wouldn't be there with my Jets Favre jersey on, either.

Zool
08-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Nutz,

Who do you root for?

Wow. I might wipe my ass with a Jets jersey, but thats about it.

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 12:44 PM
your ass is not worthy :lol:

Zool
08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Eau contraire my good woman, my ass is quite worthy.

This is the Jets you're talking about. Until they bring back the rocket helmet, they are nothing.

packinpatland
08-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Now, how come Bretsky hasn't jumped all over this one????? :lol:

I may just find myself at the Meadowlands this year.........aren't they going to build a new stadium?

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 01:48 PM
From NyPost's comments section.

Hey Brett Welcome !! call me.....

Posted by: Ashley Dupree on August 7, 2008 02:24 PM

You gotta love Jets fans.

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 01:49 PM

I may just find myself at the Meadowlands this year.........aren't they going to build a new stadium?

They don't open it up until 2010.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Come on now. You can't be SERIOUS!

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Who do you root for?

I go with the Jets. Really I do, funny, I choose the player over the franchise. Just the way it goes.

Come on now. You can't be SERIOUS!

It's some warped football-related version of Stockholm Syndrome, if you ask me.

Zool
08-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I'd also say the Jets are a steaming pile of #2.

DonHutson
08-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I'll be curious to see how Favre does, and I sincerely hope he's happy there. Whenever he pulls a vintage Brett ad lib out of his ass it'll make me smile.

That said, I still don't give a crap about the Jets and I sincerely believe Favre won't be happy there as he staggers his way through a 6-10 season under the NYC microscope.

And one more thing. Making the Jets your #2 is the equivalent of going the "let's just be friends" route with an ex. It doesn't work. Just move on.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I'll be curious to see how Favre does, and I sincerely hope he's happy there. Whenever he pulls a vintage Brett ad lib out of his ass it'll make me smile.

oh, he'll have more highlight moments, good and bad. i'm so glad he is still playing.

And he'll practically be a full-time cast member on the Letterman show. Letterman always makes jokes about the Jets, and he has had a Favre reference or three on his show every night the past two weeks.

I think Letterman has a woody for Favre.

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Hey, I'm up for a road trip !!

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 06:26 PM

If I was a mod I'd definitely delete your avatar and replace it with a picture of TT.

But that's just me. :D

CaliforniaCheez
08-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Being in Northern California I saw a lot of Kansas City Chiefs gear for 2 years after montana was traded. After 5 years it all faded away.

I now wish the Jets very well and I always enjoy watching Brett play.
Once Broadway Brett departs from the Jets my interest in them is gone.

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 07:27 PM

If I was a mod I'd definitely delete your avatar and replace it with a picture of TT.

But that's just me. :D

Alright, who's the sly douche that changed my avatar? :D

woodbuck27
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I've followed the Jets since the days of Joe Namath. I proudly wear a Jet hat and now will really feel great wearing Jet hats etc.

Funny I like GREEN as I'm Irish. I looked for my Jets hat today before leaving my place but settled on another hat 00:01. That Jets hat will be on my head as soon as I get back home.

Of all teams I'm happiest that Favre is now a JET. That's just cool in my books. :D

GO PACKERS! :D

woodbuck27
08-07-2008, 07:40 PM

oh, he'll have more highlight moments, good and bad. i'm so glad he is still playing.

And he'll practically be a full-time cast member on the Letterman show. Letterman always makes jokes about the Jets, and he has had a Favre reference or three on his show every night the past two weeks.

I think Letterman has a woody for Favre.

hahaaha.

Now I've been accused of everything. :D

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Nutz,

Who do you root for?

Unbelievable

How in the world could you cheer for a former player over the organization.

woodbuck27
08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Now I get about as drunk as I've ever been and GO to Jack Astors for their best steak.

Some freaking glad that mess is over! Ohhhh I want to curse!! :D

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Unbelievable

How in the world could you cheer for a former player over the organization.

If you're a woman. :|

*runs away in fear*

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 10:08 PM
If you're a woman. :|

*runs away in fear*

I'm sure Nutz doesn't appreciate you calling him a woman :wink:

Right now, I'll be the first to admit, I'm very bitter about the situation and how it ended. Another reason, I'm not old enough to remember suffering in the 70's & 80's. I started getting into the Packers in the late 80's, so a big reason for me, is that 90% of what I know about the Packers, it's all Brett Favre. He is the biggest reason why I started following the Packers religiously and really became interested in football.

Yes, I'll get over it...just not today.