PDA

View Full Version : Packers Used Bucs in Negotiation only?

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Looks that way to me. TT wanted Brett in the AFC all along. I'm certain Bruce Allen couldve matched or beat the deal TT got. In the end, TT's a terrific negotiator. He makes Bus Cook look useless as tits on a bull, which I believe he is. As fans, we have to put this as another feather in TT's hat.

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I think TT was going to take the best deal available outside the NFC North. The Bucs apparently weren't as interested in making a deal as the Jets were...reasonable, considering the Bucs do have Garcia while the Jets have nothing at QB.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Another reason in the mix: The Packers play Tampa Bay head to head this season in Tampa. The Jets and Packers do not play each other this year.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Another reason in the mix: The Packers play Tampa Bay head to head this season in Tampa. The Jets and Packers do not play each other this year.

Agreed.

You connect the dots on this. I mean come on Malcolm Glazer? He loves this shit, Im sure Bruce Allen had the green light to get Brett at almost any price. The word is TT wasn't returning Allen's calls for a long time yesterday.

LL2
08-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Play one team against the other....that's called smart business...and that's TT's job....run the business side of the Packers.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 10:05 AM
It's called great negotiation. Nice job TT.

bbbffl66
08-07-2008, 10:24 AM

I'm sure his skills will come in handy when he's run out of town after an 8-8 or so season!

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Perhaps--at the moment, he's doing his job well.

Lurker64
08-07-2008, 10:30 AM

I'm sure his skills will come in handy when he's run out of town after an 8-8 or so season!

When is that going to be? 2011? Considering that Thompson just signed a contract extension, that he's the 2007 executive of the year, and that historically one team period has had success transitioning at QB from a legend, Thompson's job is safe no matter how bad the team is this year.

bbbffl66
08-07-2008, 10:31 AM

When is that going to be? 2011? Considering that Thompson just signed a contract extension, that he's the 2007 executive of the year, and that historically one team period has had success transitioning at QB from a legend, Thompson's job is safe no matter how bad the team is this year.

You mean like Shermy's extension? :D

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Looks that way to me. TT wanted Brett in the AFC all along. I'm certain Bruce Allen couldve matched or beat the deal TT got. In the end, TT's a terrific negotiator. He makes Bus Cook look useless as tits on a bull, which I believe he is. As fans, we have to put this as another feather in TT's hat.

It has been reported that the Bucs were offering similar compensation for Favre as they had for Jake Plummer, that being a 7th round pick that could escalate to a 4th. We got a 4th that could escalate to a 1st. The mere possibility of it turning into a first is FAR beyond what I had expected he could get for Favre. In all likelihood it turns into a 2nd, which is STILL more than I had expected for a 39 year old QB. TT gets a big pat on the back for this one.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Great negotiating and using Tampa are part of it. There also is the angle that Thompson really didn't want Favre on a team that played the Packers this year, as well as the "macho" thing about not letting Favre go to the place he apparently preferred to go.

Did you here the dumbass on ESPN last night saying that Favre was in the driver seat determining who the trade got made with? A big no way to that crap!

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Brett Favre had a 4-12 season with TT as the general manager. I very highly doubt he is run out of town after one season for finishing 8-8. In fact, I'll boldly GUARANTEE that TT is still the Packers General Manager in 2009 and 2010. Bookmark this page if you think I'm wrong.

Lurker64
08-07-2008, 10:37 AM

How many "coach of the year" or "executive of the year" titles did Shermy win? How well respected by NFL executives was Mike Sherman? Excepting at the very top, in how good a shape was the roster under Sherman?

Literally nothing beyond an off the field scandal will get Thompson fired this year, sorry if that disappoints you.

Cheesehead Craig
08-07-2008, 10:40 AM

It has been reported that the Bucs were offering similar compensation for Favre as they had for Jake Plummer, that being a 7th round pick that could escalate to a 4th. We got a 4th that could escalate to a 1st. The mere possibility of it turning into a first is FAR beyond what I had expected he could get for Favre. In all likelihood it turns into a 2nd, which is STILL more than I had expected for a 39 year old QB. TT gets a big pat on the back for this one.
The Bucs were in the running, but the Jets were willing to give up more. Not so much as a great job by TT, although he did get a good deal, but he took the best one on the table.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Apparently, good job by McCarthy selling Favre on the Jets.

When it became apparent Favre was not going to be able to patch things up with the Packers, McCarthy tried to sell Favre on playing for the Jets

Once again, Favre's personnel judgement comes into question.
:D

Favre indicated to McCarthy that he thought the Jets had more talent than the Buccaneers and started to consider them.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 10:57 AM

When it became apparent Favre was not going to be able to patch things up with the Packers, McCarthy tried to sell Favre on playing for the Jets

Favre indicated to McCarthy that he thought the Jets had more talent than the Buccaneers and started to consider them.

For his sake I hope Favre turns down the meeting with the NY guy who's trying to sell the Brooklyn Bridge!

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 11:00 AM
It is a HUGE stretch to suggest the Packers played anybody.

The Packers got minimal offers from two teams. The offers are pathetic, really, without all the drama Favre was worth a first-round draft pick. But the team is where they are at.

Favre picked the team he wanted to play on, compensation for the Pack had very little to do with anything in this deal.

The PAckers just unloaded a horrible problem, that's all that matters. Rejoice, children.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Glazer

Again, I'm just your local "dot connector" but I believe ol' Malcolm gave 'em the green light to get Favre.

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 11:11 AM

:shock:

Jimx29
08-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I agree that TT made a good BUSINESS decision yesterday. It's not everyday you see a GM trade away a 4000+ yard, 28 TD's, runner-up league MVP, and Packers MVP all in one move :roll:

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 12:06 PM

:shock:[/quote]

I can see it. The Bucs best WR is in his late 30s. Their starting RB is still relatively unproven. They are an aging team.

Actually, when I think about, in Brett's situation I'd take the Jets over the Bucs, from a purely talent standpoint.

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I agree that TT made a good BUSINESS decision yesterday. It's not everyday you see a GM trade away a 4000+ yard, 28 TD's, runner-up league MVP, and Packers MVP all in one move :roll:

Favre and MM made the decision to move on. TT just made the best of it.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Told ya

Fritz
08-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't think TT was brilliant in this trade by any stretch. He just got what he could given the situation.

By the way, does anybody else wonder why, if Brett Favre is still as wonderful and incredible player as we think he is, why only two teams out of the 28 possible appeared to be interested?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Again, I'm just your local "dot connector" but I believe ol' Malcolm gave 'em the green light to get Favre.

Too bad you can't connect your own dots..as glazer has little input in the team..his son's run it.

More to the point..the Bucs weren't going to give a high pick for an old qb..not when they aleady have been short on picks since giving away the farm to get chucky.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 08:54 PM

:shock:

I can see it. The Bucs best WR is in his late 30s. Their starting RB is still relatively unproven. They are an aging team.

Actually, when I think about, in Brett's situation I'd take the Jets over the Bucs, from a purely talent standpoint.[/quote]

Jets have great talent on the line...good rb, and two very good wrs..and 2 decent TEs.

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 08:56 PM
TT used Tampa Bay completely; once the Jets were interested Favre was becoming a Jet.

Chris Mortenson reported last night Favre got a call from the Jets and they said he was going to close the deal within the hour. Favre passed word to his agent in hopes he could tell TB and they would raise thier offer.

He also reported TT was not returning calls from Bruce Allen in Tampa Bay or Bus Cook regarding the bias to go to TB last night.

I don't blame TT; he did what was best for Green Bay.

SudsMcBucky
08-08-2008, 07:19 AM
If the Jets made the FAR better offer, and the Bucs weren't willing to come up, how exactly were the Packers "using" the Bucs? The Bucs have noone to blame but themselves if they made their best offer and it was bested by the Jets.

sheepshead
08-08-2008, 07:45 AM

Too bad you can't connect your own dots..as glazer has little input in the team..his son's run it.

More to the point..the Bucs weren't going to give a high pick for an old qb..not when they aleady have been short on picks since giving away the farm to get chucky.

You take great pleasure wallowing in minutia don't you? Most people find it irritating.

cpk1994
08-08-2008, 12:49 PM
If the Jets made the FAR better offer, and the Bucs weren't willing to come up, how exactly were the Packers "using" the Bucs? The Bucs have noone to blame but themselves if they made their best offer and it was bested by the Jets.Becuase it may have been the the Jets made their offer knowing the Bucs wre supposedly close to a deal. The Jets mave never have offered the 4th if the knew TB wasn't interested.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM

You take great pleasure wallowing in minutia don't you? Most people find it irritating.

It is always minutia when you are wrong. when you are right its the facts. Strange how that works.

Mite be time for you to man up and just admit you were wrong. Not like we aren't use to it.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 05:20 PM
mite
–noun

any of numerous small to microscopic arachnids of the subclass Acari, including species that are parasitic on animals and plants or that feed on decaying matter and stored foods.

SudsMcBucky
08-08-2008, 07:44 PM
If the Jets made the FAR better offer, and the Bucs weren't willing to come up, how exactly were the Packers "using" the Bucs? The Bucs have noone to blame but themselves if they made their best offer and it was bested by the Jets.Becuase it may have been the the Jets made their offer knowing the Bucs wre supposedly close to a deal. The Jets mave never have offered the 4th if the knew TB wasn't interested.

Well then, the Bucs should have made their very best offer what they felt BF was worth. If the offer they made WAS the best, it just didn't cut the cake. If they ended up leaving some on the table not knowing the Jets were in play, too bad so sad, but they were not "used."

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2008, 11:48 PM

How many "coach of the year" or "executive of the year" titles did Shermy win? How well respected by NFL executives was Mike Sherman? Excepting at the very top, in how good a shape was the roster under Sherman?

Literally nothing beyond an off the field scandal will get Thompson fired this year, sorry if that disappoints you.

Now if that boy tied up in TT's crawlspace gets out...there's drama. :oops: :lol: