PDA

View Full Version : So what can we expect from the upcoming season?

Erock
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey guys,

First I would like to say it is an interesting day to be a Packer fan! I'm a little bummed that Favre is gone but I'm looking forward to this season and a change of pace could be a good thing for both Brett and the Packers...

I think the subject line says it all, what can we expect from this team.

I think we are going to win with Defense and Special teams and as long as A-Rod can manage this team and not turn it over I think we can get a wild card berth.

What do you think? Thought I could possibly change the topic for a minute or two in here.....!! :D

bbbffl66
08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Tougher schedule than last year. Rookie mistakes at QB. Wild card best possible scenario IMO. Hopefully 9-7, could slip to 7-9.
This sucks! :evil:

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't think a division title is out of the question, but it is going to be a tough fight with Minnesota IMO.

Without seeing any preseason action, my best guess is that 9 wins is the most reasonable target at this point. Our defense will still be very good, but not great. Our offense should continue to be strong as well...a lot will ride on the success of our running game in 2008, and I'm guessing we'll be a lot deeper at RB this year.

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Cheaper tickets to games.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Tougher schedule, probably true, although often you can't tell before hand who or what will be tough or not.

As for the rookie mistakes, I'm expecting them to be no more than the rookie-like mistakes Favre made last year and a helluva lot less than he made in '06--or that he presumably would have made in '08.

This is a super talented team. Assuming Rodgers plays anywhere near expectations and assuming we don't get killed by injuries like (what was it?) '05, the team should do at least as well as last year.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Hee Haaa--excellent point!

Joemailman
08-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I think a consistent running game will be a key. Rodgers is ready, but he can't carry an offense on his shoulders the way Favre did in the first half of the season last year.

Defensively, I think we're pretty solid everywhere, unless we have to go without Jolly and Harrell. That is my biggest concern. I think the Packers are division champs unless Rodgers really falters.

bbbffl66
08-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Tougher schedule, probably true, although often you can't tell before hand who or what will be tough or not.

As for the rookie mistakes, I'm expecting them to be no more than the rookie-like mistakes Favre made last year and a helluva lot less than he made in '06--or that he presumably would have made in '08.

This is a super talented team. Assuming Rodgers plays anywhere near expectations and assuming we don't get killed by injuries like (what was it?) '05, the team should do at least as well as last year.

I thought 05 was all Bretts fault. :lol:
There also won't be the silent communication between QB and WR that comes with years of working together.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't know how we'll do record-wise, but I bet we beat the Bears twice.

Joemailman
08-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Tougher schedule than last year. Rookie mistakes at QB. Wild card best possible scenario IMO. Hopefully 9-7, could slip to 7-9.

We heard the tough schedule argument last year. Opening up with Philadelphia, Giants, San Diego, At Minnesota. Yikes! Hope we can win 1 of those games. Remember that?

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 10:39 AM
'06 was all Brett's fault. Wasn't it '05 or maybe '04 when practically everybody got hurt and we had a 4-12 record that coulda/shoulda/woulda been 12-4?

I bet there is about as much of that "silent communications" with Rodgers and the young receivers--maybe Driver too--as there was with Favre. Also, that wasn't always a good thing--as it caused at least some of the errors.

mmmdk
08-07-2008, 11:13 AM

WUHUU :lol: Happy days in GB! :P

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 11:22 AM
'06 was all Brett's fault.

Yeah...it had nothing at all to do with an OL that was weaker than most college Div-I schools because Thompson failed miserably in attaining any capable talent on the interior OL.

Favre was pretty bad in 2006, but the guy had about 2 seconds to throw the ball whenever he dropped back. Makes it pretty damn easy on the defensive secondary to jump routes.

It wasn't ALL Favre...in a team game, it is never about one player.

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 11:31 AM
My expectations for this season

10-6, and a team that gets stronger as the season goes on. We should have a tough, hard-nosed defense.

I really hope the running game steps it up a notch this season. It would really help if Sitton or Barbre added a little nastiness to the run game.

I'm just pumped for the season to start.

Joemailman
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
If ever there was a team and a fan base that needs for football start, it's the Packers and their fans. Can't wait for Monday Night.

mmmdk
08-07-2008, 11:46 AM

We heard the tough schedule argument last year. Opening up with Philadelphia, Giants, San Diego, At Minnesota. Yikes! Hope we can win 1 of those games. Remember that?

Last season was a tough schedule and turned kinda vanilla. Could be the same this season but I don't see it. Philly and at Minny were hard fought games where Packers prevailed. Giants and Boltz were topsy turvy - both got much, much stronger later on.

This season is a killer schedule. Anywhere between 6-10 and 11-5 is possible.

Spaulding
08-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Gotta go with 10-6 and a wild card berth. I think the Vikes (unless TJack implodes which is certainly possible) with their running game and defense go 11-5 and split with the Packers during the regular season.

If we make the playoffs and win a game I'll call this season a success. Anything less is a step backwards and I'll wonder would we have done better or worse with Brett.