PDA

View Full Version : Mountain of a man to provide beef for defensive line

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Jason Hunter!? Jason Hunter is going to play defensive tackle?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=780788

He could barely play college football at DT. Wonder what sort of trade it would take to get Corey Williams back.

retailguy
08-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Wonder what sort of trade it would take to get Corey Williams back.

How about a "conditional" 4th round pick that could escalate up to a 1st round pick depending on how Brett Favre plays? :lol:

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 11:26 AM
No reason to not take a look at the guy.

Line positions are more about desire and effort than anything else. On passing downs, Hunter could prove disruptive inside.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 11:27 AM
How about a "conditional" 4th round pick that could escalate up to a 1st round pick depending on how Brett Favre plays? :lol:

Nice! It's amazing to see Hunter's growth. KGB came in as a scrawny 240 pound rush end, and he turned into a scrawny 250 pound rush end. Hunter came in as a scrawny 240 pound rush end, and he's now 270 pounds.

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Nice! It's amazing to see Hunter's growth. KGB came in as a scrawny 240 pound rush end, and he turned into a scrawny 250 pound rush end. Hunter came in as a scrawny 240 pound rush end, and he's now 270 pounds.

Jason Hunter weighs 270 pounds?? Wow, when did that happen.

IMO, this reeks of desperation. Unless he has greatly improved, all he has is one rush move - speed rush to the outside. There have been numerous times where the ball is snapped and he goes to the outside, creating a huge gap. I hope I'm wrong, but I see him getting engulfed in the middle and not doing much.

packers11
08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
desperate times calls for desperate measures :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Hunter, who stands 6-foot-4, played his rookie season at 250 pounds and his second season at 260. Currently 270, Hunter would like to hit 280, which he theorizes might help him inside...

Hunter has been fairly relentless as a pass rusher, both from end and tackle. The other position coach, Robert Nunn, said Hunter had "a terrific off-season and a terrific camp."

"In there, you need to stay active at all times," Hairston said. "One thing about Jason, he never stops his feet. Not taking anything away from the bigger guys, but if you've got a quicker, faster guy in there, it will threaten those guards a little bit."

Hunter, Montgomery and Johnny Jolly, who has played well enough to all but lock up the right tackle job in base, are competing for the right tackle job in nickel next to Cullen Jenkins, said Hairston.

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
I've always liked Hunter as a player.

Don't know how effective this will be, though.

SkinBasket
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Hunter was an abysmal outside rusher his first year and I cried a little when he made the team. Last year he seemed like your run of the mill average to slightly crappy player, but he was making progress. Pushing a guy with little to no technique (which was his problem) but a lot of drive and energy inside makes sense if he's putting on the weight.

The only desperation I smell is from Hunter, who was shaping up to be a fairly sub-par DE, even with his improvements.

javqa
08-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Hunter was an abysmal outside rusher his first year and I cried a little when he made the team. Last year he seemed like your run of the mill average to slightly crappy player, but he was making progress. Pushing a guy with little to no technique (which was his problem) but a lot of drive and energy inside makes sense if he's putting on the weight.

The only desperation I smell is from Hunter, who was shaping up to be a fairly sub-par DE, even with his improvements.

We'll see is the only answer I guess.

At what point (weight wise) does a speed rusher become a bull rusher?

He's put on some size, but is still pretty light in the loafers...Jenkins was always considered slight, but he's over 300, so I'd guess Hunter is still considered too small to play there, especially in the base package.

bobblehead
08-07-2008, 12:43 PM
You guys did read that it was for pass downs only right? Anyone hear of Justin Tuck...about Hunters size I believe. He is kinda OK as an inside rusher. Maybe Hunter shows a flash or two and we can trade him to some stupid GM for a 2nd next year.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 02:32 PM

Hunter, who stands 6-foot-4, played his rookie season at 250 pounds and his second season at 260. Currently 270, Hunter would like to hit 280, which he theorizes might help him inside...

Hunter has been fairly relentless as a pass rusher, both from end and tackle. The other position coach, Robert Nunn, said Hunter had "a terrific off-season and a terrific camp."

"In there, you need to stay active at all times," Hairston said. "One thing about Jason, he never stops his feet. Not taking anything away from the bigger guys, but if you've got a quicker, faster guy in there, it will threaten those guards a little bit."

Hunter, Montgomery and Johnny Jolly, who has played well enough to all but lock up the right tackle job in base, are competing for the right tackle job in nickel next to Cullen Jenkins, said Hairston.

Harvey, you accidently forgot to quote the rest of Hairston's comments:

Hunter, who stands 6-foot-4, played his rookie season at 250 pounds and his second season at 260. Currently 270, Hunter would like to hit 280, which he theorizes might help him inside.

Carl Hairston, one of the defensive line coaches, said Hunter can forget about doing that.

"No, no. I don't want him to carry 280," Hairston said. "He won't be able to rush."

Come on, the guy is a shrimp to line-up inside. Maybe they can toss him into the offensive backfield.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Never say never:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7250

I doubt the coaches are doing it for shits and giggles, and let's face it, Hunter isn't a camp body. He's made the team the last two years, so he's a solid bet to make the team. Why would they waste development time by playing him at a position that he has no chance of succeeding at?

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Justin Tuck, Defensive End

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 02:40 PM

Justin Tuck, Defensive End

Hey Einstein, he moved inside to DT on passing downs. Where do you think they put Strahan and Osi, on the bench?

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Copy cat league.

http://www.giants.com/team/player132.html

In 2007, he played in all 16 regular season games for the 1st time in his career, starting 2 of them. Tuck, an end by trade, moved inside to tackle in the sub defenses and finished with 58 tackles (34 solo), 10.0 sacks for 59 yards, 3 passes defensed and 1 forced fumble. It was the 1st double-digit sack season of his career. Tuck finished 2nd on the team to Osi Umenyiora (13.0).

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
ok. it's possible to take some snaps inside. a long shot to succeed at that size, I would say.

retailguy
08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
ok, Harvey, I was wrong. it's possible to take some snaps inside. a long shot to succeed at that size, I would say.

There... I fixed it for you. :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 03:40 PM
ok, Harvey, I was wrong. it's possible to take some snaps inside. a long shot to succeed at that size, I would say.

There... I fixed it for you. :lol:

no, I'm willing to meet him half way.