PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Point - Yahoo article on McCarthy/Favre

Sparkey
08-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Favre pushed McCarthy to boiling point

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-mccarthyfedup080608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
How blatantly did Favre disregard the wishes of his superiors? In his hours-long meeting with McCarthy on Monday night, one of the coach’s direct complaints to the quarterback was that he was tired of having their supposedly confidential conversations leaked in the press. McCarthy told Favre, point-blank, that he didn’t want to turn on his TV or computer after the meeting ended and see quotes from Favre, anonymous or otherwise, discussing the interaction.

Yet on Tuesday morning, an article turned up on espn.com with numerous quotes from Favre. The quarterback said, among other things, the Packers had “planted” inaccurate stories about him and that “they tried to buy me off to stay retired” – a reference to the reported 10-year, $20-million marketing deal the team offered. Favre also provided specifics of his conversation with McCarthy, in direct violation of the coach’s previously stated wishes.

Woah.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Assuming this reporter is not another jerk making things up, this version of things rings true...at least from my point of view. I've always said that MM was the elephant in the room and was going to have things his way.

Pacopete4
08-07-2008, 01:31 PM
great... another stupid article on the situation

PackerTimer
08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
MM is so awesome.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
This article basically spells out the problem that a lot of us have had (most of whom weren't anti-Favre or pro-Thompson before this). It's pretty apparent, if you aren't letting your affection for Favre get in the way, that this was the root cause of this whole mess. Favre (and his cronies) just couldn't shut up.

Joemailman
08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
How blatantly did Favre disregard the wishes of his superiors? In his hours-long meeting with McCarthy on Monday night, one of the coach’s direct complaints to the quarterback was that he was tired of having their supposedly confidential conversations leaked in the press. McCarthy told Favre, point-blank, that he didn’t want to turn on his TV or computer after the meeting ended and see quotes from Favre, anonymous or otherwise, discussing the interaction.

Yet on Tuesday morning, an article turned up on espn.com with numerous quotes from Favre. The quarterback said, among other things, the Packers had “planted” inaccurate stories about him and that “they tried to buy me off to stay retired” – a reference to the reported 10-year, $20-million marketing deal the team offered. Favre also provided specifics of his conversation with McCarthy, in direct violation of the coach’s previously stated wishes.

Woah.

So who leaked to the press the supposed fact that MM was mad at Favre for leaking quotes to the press. Seems odd that Favre would have leaked that.

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 02:01 PM
The Packers believe Favre’s wife, Deanna, and agent, Bus Cook, helped inflame the situation by advising him to speak out and by amplifying the negative rhetoric about the way he was treated by the team. At one point during the meeting with McCarthy on Monday night, Favre fielded a phone call from his wife and had a conversation with her as the coach waited, a source said.

At that point, the coach was already fed up – and he became less inclined to sanitize his thoughts about the situation. As McCarthy mentioned in his news conference Tuesday, when he essentially announced that Favre’s time as a Packer had ended, his role as a team spokesman during the month-long saga had worn on him as well.

“I’m a football coach,” he said Wednesday. “I know (talking to the media) is part of my job description, and I don’t mind doing it, but I have no desire to stand out there and answer all the political questions. I’m going to tell the truth, and that’s that. I’m not going to be politically correct. I’m sick of it.”

My respect for MM has increased 1000% over the past few days.

packinpatland
08-07-2008, 02:03 PM

Woah.

So who leaked to the press the supposed fact that MM was mad at Favre for leaking quotes to the press. Seems odd that Favre would have leaked that.

I think both sides did their fair share of 'leaking'..........and this one probably wasn't Favre.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Q: P of Elm Grove - Bob...anything to this stuff about TT planting anti-Favre stories? Is there a bona fide reason for Favre's bitterness, or is this just the kind of stuff that comes with a divorce?

A: Bob McGinn - P: TT did one on one's, a rare occurrence, with beat writers about July 12, if I recall. In those interviews it became known about whatever happened between the club and Favre in late March. TT said Brett talked about coming back at that time. As for planting anti-stories, there are none that I know of.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
I think both sides did their fair share of 'leaking'..........and this one probably wasn't Favre.

nonsense. The Packers did little or no leaking. They openly published and stood behind their version of events.

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM

A fair question.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 04:12 PM

A fair question.

According to the Yahoo article it was "one source familiar with the GM’s and coach’s thinking."

Which means, the leaker could have been Harlan or just about anyone else.

A "leak" implies an intentional "plant" of information by one of the direct parties involved in the dispute. Interviewing someone "familiar with the GM's and coach's thinking" is not a leak...it's not even a dribble. It's more like a stretch.

The "media" works in strange ways.

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 04:17 PM
According to the Yahoo article it was "one source familiar with the GM’s and coach’s thinking."

A "leak" implies an intentional "plant" of information by one of the direct parties involved in the dispute. Interviewing someone "familiar with the GM's and coach's thinking" is not a leak...it's not even a dribble. It's more like a stretch.

Someone from your organization telling the media about a private conversation sounds an awful lot like intentional "plant" of information by one of the direct parties involved in the dispute. Care to split hairs?

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM

Someone from your organization telling the media about a private conversation sounds an awful lot like intentional "plant" of information by one of the direct parties involved in the dispute. Care to split hairs?

It's not splitting hairs. How do you get from a "source familiar with the GM’s and coach’s thinking" to "someone from your [Packer] organization?"

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 04:37 PM

It's not splitting hairs. How do you get from a "source familiar with the GM’s and coach’s thinking" to "someone from your [Packer] organization?"

If you can assert that it is not a leak based upon less than definitive information, I feel that I have a right to respond in kind. A "source familiar with the GM’s and coach’s thinking," if anything, supports that it was a leak. Anyone that is familiar with their thinking is likely to have a vested interest in the dispute. Thus, it is splitting hairs to say it is not leak simply because you don't you consider the interviewee to be a "direct party."

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Sharpe,

You are being rediculous. Whether or not it was a leak is barely relevant. What is relevant is that BF directly contacted the media, whereas the other source isn't part of the packers and isn't quoting MM...merely giving insight into MM's thoughts.

That is a huge difference.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 04:44 PM

If you can assert that it is not a leak based upon less than definitive information, I feel that I have a right to respond in kind. A "source familiar with the GM’s and coach’s thinking," if anything, supports that it was a leak. Anyone that is familiar with their thinking is likely to have a vested interest in the dispute. Thus, it is splitting hairs to say it is not leak simply because you don't you consider the interviewee to be a "direct party."

Unless the author is specific, i.e., names the source he is quoting or tells us in no uncertain terms what that source's actual position is, then the source is no more reliable than a rumor. If you want to trust that a rumor is true, it's your privilege. I do not.

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Sharpe,

You are being rediculous. Whether or not it was a leak is barely relevant. What is relevant is that BF directly contacted the media, whereas the other source isn't part of the packers and isn't quoting MM...merely giving insight into MM's thoughts.

Maybe I am being ridiculous, but the original question was simply asking from where did this inside information come from? It wasn't likely from Favre.

The point is somebody was talking the media about a private conversation and the information appears to have come from someone pro-MM and/or anti-Favre. You can't know that the source isn't part of the Packers. Ee do know that the source knows about a private conversation between MM and Favre. Put on your detective hat, since it wasn't from Favre what are the chances that it came from the someone who works with the Packers? Pretty damn good.

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Unless the author is specific, i.e., names the source he is quoting or tells us in no uncertain terms what that source's actual position is, then the source is no more reliable than a rumor. If you want to trust that a rumor is true, it's your privilege. I do not.

I agree. I am not trusting the rumor I am just asking the question of where that information about a private conversation came from. Maybe someone made it all up, maybe not, but I doubt it came from Favre.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Sharpe,

Maybe I am being ridiculous, but the original question was simply asking from where did this inside information come from? It wasn't likely from Favre.

The point is somebody was talking the media about a private conversation and the information appears to have come from someone pro-MM and/or anti-Favre. You can't know that the source isn't part of the Packers. Ee do know that the source knows about a private conversation between MM and Favre. Put on your detective hat, since it wasn't from Favre what are the chances that it came from the someone who works with the Packers? Pretty damn good.

Huh? Favre texted reporters, talked with reporters, etc. What you smoking?

Pro MM: Probably, but i dont' see much of a point to that..nor does the source info rely on "viewpoint."

Detective: could be anyone..family, friends, his barber, etc.

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 05:39 PM

It could be anyone, including someone from the Packers.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 05:42 PM

Right...so, the reporter wouldn't acknowledge that. :roll:

If from the packers the reporter woulda used the old unnamed source in the organization routine.

You are really reaching...occam's razor my friend, occam's razor.

FritzDontBlitz
08-07-2008, 06:33 PM

Woah.

So, does this mean everything Favre leaked to the press about TT and M3 was actually said to him behind closed doors? That's what it sounds like to me.

I do have to give Thompson props on the trade, though. Its not a bad deal for the Packers because the more Brett plays, the better the pick gets.

sharpe1027
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM

If from the packers the reporter woulda used the old unnamed source in the organization routine.

I'm reaching? You're the one trying to claim it wasn't someone from the Packers. At least I admit that I'm not sure who it was. I'm just trying to apply the same scrutiny I did to Favre and all the comments from his family and "sources close to Favre" to this situation. I ripped Favre for those comments. Fair is fair.

The facts are:

1.) The reporter doesn't say whether or not the person works for the Packers.
2.) The source claims to have first hand knowledge of BOTH MM's and TT's mindset.
3.) The source makes comments about a private convesation betwee MM and TT.

Draw your own conclusions, just don't be an ass and assume they are the only conclusions.

woodbuck27
08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Assuming this reporter is not another jerk making things up, this version of things rings true...at least from my point of view. I've always said that MM was the elephant in the room and was going to have things his way.

I think Favre should have kicked MM's ass before leaving that meeting. At least pinned his pork against the wall.

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 07:46 PM

I think Favre should have kicked MM's ass before leaving that meeting. At least pinned his pork against the wall.

Yea, that would have been smart. :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 07:47 PM

I'm reaching? You're the one trying to claim it wasn't someone from the Packers. At least I admit that I'm not sure who it was. I'm just trying to apply the same scrutiny I did to Favre and all the comments from his family and "sources close to Favre" to this situation. I ripped Favre for those comments. Fair is fair.

The facts are:

1.) The reporter doesn't say whether or not the person works for the Packers.
2.) The source claims to have first hand knowledge of BOTH MM's and TT's mindset.
3.) The source makes comments about a private convesation betwee MM and TT.

Draw your own conclusions, just don't be an ass and assume they are the only conclusions.

Fine. Make that a packer employee...so, at best you have someone that gave insight into a mindset. Surely didn't give exact quotes of what they said about favre leaking nor did they give quotes about what exactly was said.

Favre leaked confidential information...the pack did not. They went on the record each time.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 07:48 PM

why don't you stop being a fan of the pack and just jump onboard with the jets..as your allegiance isnt' to the pack obviously.

What did we ever do to deserve an idiot like you as a pack fan? Shouldn't you be a boys fan.

dissident94
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Its a legit case. How can MM say he is upset about their confidential talks being leaked in the media and then this story is leaked. It had to come from MM didn't it? If not him he told someone who told someone. Then he is not keeping stuff confidential as well.

I lost repsect for MM on this one

mraynrand
08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I think Favre pretty much sealed his fate with 'Greta.' I thought Favre never looked worse -ever (with the possible exception of tossing Chewie under the bus). It was pretty clear the Packers had decided to move on and were going to do everything they could to prevent Favre from getting what he wanted (and what could hurt the Packers) - a free release. When Favre goes on 'Greta' and bitches about TT not being truthful and complaining about things that care the GM's job and not Favre's, he basically looked like a spiteful child. That's when it was over. The Packers played hardball with Favre, because they wanted to move on, but they were never untruthful as far as I can tell, and were never as nasty as Favre. I don't agree with their football decision (and I hope I'm wrong), but they took the high road and Favre took the low road (he admitted he was being vengeful just today). So I'm much more likely to believe that Favre leaked personal information, than not.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Its a legit case. How can MM say he is upset about their confidential talks being leaked in the media and then this story is leaked. It had to come from MM didn't it? If not him he told someone who told someone. Then he is not keeping stuff confidential as well.

I lost repsect for MM on this one

MM didn't speak to the press...Favre did.

This is a story about how MM feels...not about the talk itself. Big difference.

VegasPackFan
08-07-2008, 11:58 PM
The whole episode is OVER now so at this point who cares who talks to whom? The issue is that while there were ONGOING talks and negotiations, Favre kept running off to the media and airing out his gripes. Favre individually was doing this. Not MM, not TT.

Now of course, Favre is going to talk to his camp about these things. I'm also sure that MM and TT would talk to other Packer people about what is going on. But there is a big difference between a Packer person leaking something out on their own accord, and BF and his camp intentionally leaking things out to sway public opinion. On the Packer side of this, a leak was not (I doubt) orchestrated to achieve something. It is just a "loose lips" situation. The Favre camp obviously had this as part of their game plan.

Fritz
08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
No way,” one source familiar with the GM’s and coach’s thinking said on Tuesday. “Not with the way he keeps opening his mouth and trashing everybody. We keep biting our tongues and trying to take the high road, and every time he goes into a meeting and they agree to keep it confidential, he goes running to the media and rips them in the press. And now, to give him exactly what he wants and let him go for nothing? Forget about it.”

If this is so, it gives MM points.

KYPack
08-08-2008, 08:54 AM
I think Favre pretty much sealed his fate with 'Greta.' I thought Favre never looked worse -ever (with the possible exception of tossing Chewie under the bus). It was pretty clear the Packers had decided to move on and were going to do everything they could to prevent Favre from getting what he wanted (and what could hurt the Packers) - a free release. When Favre goes on 'Greta' and bitches about TT not being truthful and complaining about things that care the GM's job and not Favre's, he basically looked like a spiteful child. That's when it was over. The Packers played hardball with Favre, because they wanted to move on, but they were never untruthful as far as I can tell, and were never as nasty as Favre. I don't agree with their football decision (and I hope I'm wrong), but they took the high road and Favre took the low road (he admitted he was being vengeful just today). So I'm much more likely to believe that Favre leaked personal information, than not.

Great post. Now I don't have to make it.

This whole deal makes me so sick, I can't find the energy to hit the keys and post about it.

sharpe1027
08-08-2008, 08:57 AM
The whole episode is OVER now so at this point who cares who talks to whom? The issue is that while there were ONGOING talks and negotiations, Favre kept running off to the media and airing out his gripes. Favre individually was doing this. Not MM, not TT.

Now of course, Favre is going to talk to his camp about these things. I'm also sure that MM and TT would talk to other Packer people about what is going on. But there is a big difference between a Packer person leaking something out on their own accord, and BF and his camp intentionally leaking things out to sway public opinion. On the Packer side of this, a leak was not (I doubt) orchestrated to achieve something. It is just a "loose lips" situation. The Favre camp obviously had this as part of their game plan.

I think Favre was an idiot in how he handled alot of this, but let's be fair in how we judge both sides.

First, Favre going public and saying things himself is not leaking information in the conventional sense. Leaking information is usually done by anonymous sources. To be fair, you can easily argue that he was giving out information on private conversations so it was wrong regardless.

Second, you don't know that this latest quote wasn't done intentionally by the Packers anymore than you know that the previous statements from Favre's camp (i.e., not Favre) were done at Favre's request.

With that being said, IMO, the substance of this article is legit, whereas Favre's side of the story often sounded like a bitter kid lashing out.

KYPack
08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
The Packers believe Favre’s wife, Deanna, and agent, Bus Cook, helped inflame the situation by advising him to speak out and by amplifying the negative rhetoric about the way he was treated by the team. At one point during the meeting with McCarthy on Monday night, Favre fielded a phone call from his wife and had a conversation with her as the coach waited, a source said.

At that point, the coach was already fed up – and he became less inclined to sanitize his thoughts about the situation. As McCarthy mentioned in his news conference Tuesday, when he essentially announced that Favre’s time as a Packer had ended, his role as a team spokesman during the month-long saga had worn on him as well.

“I’m a football coach,” he said Wednesday. “I know (talking to the media) is part of my job description, and I don’t mind doing it, but I have no desire to stand out there and answer all the political questions. I’m going to tell the truth, and that’s that. I’m not going to be politically correct. I’m sick of it.”

My respect for MM has increased 1000% over the past few days.

Me, too.

MM is now the maximum leader and had the guts to assume that role.

Pugger
08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I agree that Favre's days were numbered after that interview with Greta. How Brett expected Packers managment to just forget it and welcome him back with open arms is beyond me. And if MM told Brett NOT to speak to reporters then Brett is a duffas - or he was trying to force the Packers hand which is probably closer to the truth.

Maxie the Taxi
08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Me, too.

I like that, "Maximum Leader." Has a nice ring to it, especially now that the Chinese olympics are in full swing. MM = ML from now on.

KYPack
08-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Me, too.

I like that, "Maximum Leader." Has a nice ring to it, especially now that the Chinese olympics are in full swing. MM = ML from now on.

Mike assumed the mantle.

Coaching is a series of crossroads.

At some point, you got to get up in front a bunch of guys, half of whom disagree with you and are bitching about it, and say, "We are doing this because I fucking said so"! and blow your whistle.

It's tough and it takes guts to do it.

Mike did the hard job and had the balls to do so.