PDA

View Full Version : Pennington to Miami?

Zool
08-07-2008, 01:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3523819

Source: Dolphins contact Pennington's agent

The Miami Dolphins are interested in the New York Jets' soon-to-be-unemployed quarterback, Chad Pennington.

AFC East

ESPN.com's Tim Graham writes about all things AFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The Dolphins have already contacted Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, a source with knowledge of the call told ESPN.com. The Jets are expected to cut Pennington at 4 p.m. Thursday to clear salary-cap space for Brett Favre.

Pennington was drafted in 2000 by Dolphins football operations boss Bill Parcells with the 18th overall pick.

Pennington owns the highest career and single-season passer ratings in Jets history. He owns the five best season completion percentages. Joe Namath, Ken O'Brien and Richard Todd are the only Jets to have thrown for more yards.

But Pennington, 32, lost his job last year to Kellen Clemens and played in just nine games for a team that went 4-12.

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano spoke about Pennington at his daily news conference but insisted he was happy with his three quarterbacks: veteran journeyman Josh McCown, sophomore John Beck and rookie Chad Henne.

Chad Pennington

Pennington

"I only know about him from playing against him," Sparano said. "From what I've heard about him, I've only heard that he's a very intelligent player, and he's always been pretty accurate with what he did with the ball. I know the guy's a competitor.

"We have three quarterbacks right now on our team, and we're finding it hard right now to get all three of those guys the work they need. I'm happy with the people we have here right now," he said.

The Dolphins last week gave NFL outcast Quincy Carter a workout. Carter played for the Dallas Cowboys when Parcells was their coach.

Many viewed Carter's tryout as indicative of the Dolphins' displeasure with their quarterback competition. McCown has been erratic, while Beck has struggled. Henne, it can be argued, is having the best camp.

Sparano claimed Carter's workout was nothing more than a casual look-see to satisfy organizational curiosity. Carter hasn't played in the NFL since 2004 because of drug-related issues.