PDA

View Full Version : Pennington Released

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Per yahoo sports

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
i heard last night...4:00 today so there you go. He'll have a choice of suitors.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 03:19 PM
TT and the Jets are on the phone again.

Pacopete4
08-07-2008, 03:25 PM

why...

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 03:30 PM

why...

I meant "TT is on the phone again." No reason to talk to the Jets since Pennington was released. TT is gonna sign him.

Pacopete4
08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
my bad maxie

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds like Miami wants him. I don't see Thompson getting into a bidding war.
:D

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm 100% certain that Pennington won't be in Green Bay.

If Thompson wanted him, he would've incorporated him into the Favre deal to ensure he got him at HIS price...and not let him get to the open market.

retailguy
08-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Sounds like Miami wants him. I don't see Thompson getting into a bidding war.
:D

McCarthy already said they were going to camp with just the 3 guys due to the 80 man roster limit.

If we sign a backup, we do that at the end of camp, not the beginning...

The Shadow
I'm 100% certain that Pennington won't be in Green Bay.

If Thompson wanted him, he would've incorporated him into the Favre deal to ensure he got him at HIS price...and not let him get to the open market.

Wouldn't he then have to pay Pennington's current salary, which, I believe, was negotiated when his stock was a bit higher?

Zool
Should be at 79 after the trade, or did I miss someone getting put back on the 80 man?

retailguy
08-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Should be at 79 after the trade, or did I miss someone getting put back on the 80 man?

No, you're correct, but I'm saying the philosophy for QB's in camp shouldn't have changed, YET.

I expect that spot to be filled by taco wallace very shortly... :P

Zool
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Bring back Whisper!

www.savewhisper.com

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Bring back Whisper!

www.savewhisper.com

Herbert?

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
No, you're correct, but I'm saying the philosophy for QB's in camp shouldn't have changed, YET.

I agree. They'll evaluate the two rookies (and Rodgers to a lesser extent), and then determine if they should pick up a veteran at the end of preseason.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't think there will be a bidding war. I agree with Shadow.

From Rotoworld...

"The Minneapolis Star-Tribune does not expect the Vikings to show interest in Chad Pennington.

Pennington, who will be cut this afternoon, might be a poor fit in an offense that starts two vertical threats at receiver because of his weak arm. The Dolphins, Packers, Chiefs, and possibly the Bears seem most likely to pursue him."

Plus, Miami's head coach has already said they're not interested in Bad Chad. Of course, that is most likely BS.

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 03:58 PM
A while back, we had a thread called "Trading Partners?".
Looked for it, but could not locate it.
Is there an efficient way to locate it?

bobblehead
08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Bring back Whisper!

www.savewhisper.com

I was thinking Del Rogers.....POPCORN!!!!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Pennington isn't coming to the pack. Pennington like any other former starting QB wants the opportunity to compete for the starting role.

I think we have firmly established that competing for the qb role on the pack isn't going to happen. And, why would we want to open up this team to a qb controversy.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Pennington isn't coming to the pack. Pennington like any other former starting QB wants the opportunity to compete for the starting role.

I think we have firmly established that competing for the qb role on the pack isn't going to happen. And, why would we want to open up this team to a qb controversy.

You might be right. Maybe Pennington will sign with the Dolphins just for spite...you know, like Favre wanted to sign with the Vikings.

Lurker64
08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
If we're going to pick up a scrap heap QB to be the backup this year, I'd much rather have Chris Simms.

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 06:28 PM
If we're going to pick up a scrap heap QB to be the backup this year, I'd much rather have Chris Simms.

Simms is a capable QB. If he gets released from the Bucs I'd love to have him as our #2.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 06:44 PM
The Bears are out of the running. And, if you believe the Dophins' head coach, the market for Pennington has dwindled to one: the KC Chiefs. (And possibly TT.)

From Rotoworld:

The Bears are unlikely to pursue free agent Chad Pennington, according to the Chicago Sun Times.

Chicago is the most stubbornly loyal organization in the league and has committed to the winner of Kyle Orton-Rex Grossman. The Bears came out publicly saying they didn't want Brett Favre, and Pennington is obviously a lesser QB. NFL Network's Adam Schefter calls Miami and K.C. the favorites to land Pennington.

Lurker64
08-07-2008, 06:46 PM
It's a shame nobody appears to want a noodle-armed QB.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 06:48 PM

If KC drops out of the bidding, TT will be able to sign Pennington and still be $30-million under the salary cap.

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 06:52 PM

If KC drops out of the bidding, TT will be able to sign Pennington and still be $30-million under the salary cap.TT should be able to get Pennington for $50 and a pouch of Big League Chew.

Maxie the Taxi
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM

If KC drops out of the bidding, TT will be able to sign Pennington and still be $30-million under the salary cap.TT should be able to get Pennington for $50 and a pouch of Big League Chew.

TT is shrewd.

Maxie the Taxi
08-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Chiefs are now out of the running, leaving only TT (and the Dolphins if their head coach is a lier).

From Rotoworld:

The Chiefs reportedly believe that free agent Chad Pennington will sign with the Dolphins.

The Chiefs would only view Pennington as a backup for Brodie Croyle, which essentially proves they want to lose as many games as possible this season. The Dolphins could offer Pennington a strong chance to start.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 09:29 AM
It's already been reported that the Packers have no interest in him--although if Brohm and Flynn stink it up this preseason, they might change their mind.

oregonpackfan
08-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I still like the idea of picking up a guy like Chris Simms. The Bucs have a surplus of QB's.

While Sims is still young, he has the veteran status of being a good backup to Rodgers. I just don't like the idea of any rookie being the #2 backup.

Maxie the Taxi
08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
I still like the idea of picking up a guy like Chris Simms. The Bucs have a surplus of QB's.

While Sims is still young, he has the veteran status of being a good backup to Rodgers. I just don't like the idea of any rookie being the #2 backup.

I agree, but I bet MM doesn't.

TT is not stupid and has no ego. If MM doubted the QB's he has in camp, he'd ask TT for a Pennington/Simms type of guy and TT would oblige, even if it would set the NY scribes laughing at him -- "TT is nuts exchanging Favre for Pennington!"

MM has had his young QB guys in camp long enough to judge them and I'm beginning to think he'll stick with them. I wouldn't bank on them as backups but then MM is the man and I trust his judgment.

(On the other hand, the way this preseason has gone, Pennington or Simms might be a Packer by the time I post this. :) )