PDA

View Full Version : After The Dust Has Settled

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 03:37 PM
....aren't the Packers exactly where they were on the day Favre retired - but with one more decent draft pick?

Personally, I have also gained an increased measure of trust, faith, pride,and respect for the Packer management team - but I understand not everyone feels the same.

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Agree 100%. Funny - when Favre retired, Rodgers had the support of the fans. The hint that Favre could return arose, and Rodgers sucked all of a sudden.

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm fine with how things turned out. I still feel that the Packers could've been better in 2008 with Favre and Rodgers both on the roster...but it seems that outcome wasn't really a possibility in the end.

Thompson did a great job shipping Favre out of conference and getting a fair price for him in return...more than likely a 3rd, and possibly a 2nd.

SkinBasket
08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
You do have a point. Of course someone will flame you and Ari Fleischer soon.

sheepshead
08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Excellent take--Im ready for Hank Williams NOW!

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Thompson did a great job shipping Favre out of conference and getting a fair price for him in return...more than likely a 3rd, and possibly a 2nd.

ahh, I wouldn't count any chickens. The Jets are in a division with N.E. It takes at least 10-6 to get in playoffs in AFC.

The compensation wasn;t the main win for the Packers today. Even if it is just a 4th, the deal is fine. Anything more is gravy.

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 03:50 PM
You do have a point. Of course someone will flame you and Ari Fleischer soon.

Story of my life - although I seldom have been accused of having a point!

retailguy
08-07-2008, 03:51 PM
....aren't the Packers exactly where they were on the day Favre retired - but with one more decent draft pick?

Personally, I have also gained an increased measure of trust, faith, pride,and respect for the Packer management team - but I understand not everyone feels the same.

I don't think they are in the same place. 30 days ago, they had a potential savior sitting at home on the couch who could step in should something dramatic happen to Rodgers. Now, today, they've got a 4th round pick and Brian Brohm.

That's different. Good or bad doesn't matter. That's different.

Packer management? Jury is still out. Personally, where there is smoke, there is usually fire. Favre is pissed. He handled his situation very very poorly, however, there MAY be a legitimate reason he's pissed. You're kidding yourself if you think you know the whole story.

People who exhibit lots of nerve and conviction are still sometimes wrong. Committed? Yes, but commitment doesn't guarantee correct decisions.

retailguy
08-07-2008, 03:51 PM
So... did I flame you, or just respectfully offer a slightly different opinion? :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Now, today, they've got a 4th round pick and Brian Brohm.

So, you are assuming Favre gets injured or benched for 1/2 the games this year?

The Leaper
08-07-2008, 03:54 PM

No...just stating that as of NOW we have a 4th round pick. It could go up from there.

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 03:54 PM
So... did I flame you, or just respectfully offer a slightly different opinion? :shock:

Actually, you were quite gentle.

retailguy
08-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Now, today, they've got a 4th round pick and Brian Brohm.

Assuming? No. Not yet anyhow.

But we still have the Madden curse to contend with.... :oops: :P :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 03:56 PM
EDIT - I'm ready to move on.

SkinBasket
08-07-2008, 03:58 PM
EDIT - I'm ready to move on.

Yes you can!

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes you can!

I'll tell you what: losing to you in fantasy football was humbling the first time. It was humiliating the second time. It's just not going to happen this year.

SkinBasket
08-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Yes you can!

I'll tell you what: losing to you in fantasy football was humbling the first time. It was humiliating the second time. It's just not going to happen this year.

You can't hope to beat dumb luck. It will always be dumber and luckier than you.

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 04:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3523451

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 04:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3523451HOw long before ESPN fires him for attacking Favre? :lol:

GoPackGo
08-07-2008, 04:53 PM
So when you watch the Packers this season and wait for them to implode without their former starter, remember one thing: This isn't the NBA, in which you can just add a Kevin Garnett and a Ray Allen to a lousy team and win a title. In football, you need 53 men to be focused on the same goal -- instead of one man carrying a team. The Packers have that going for themselves today. And that's reason enough for them to not regret parting ways with one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history.

8-)

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3523451

And, of course, it's the black guy that has to set everybody straight. :D

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Now that Brett Favre is a New York Jet and Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson is the most scrutinized executive in the NFL, let's get one thing straight: The Packers will be fine.

You can talk all you want about how much better the Packers would've been with Favre. You can point out the mistakes Thompson made in handling the longest-running soap opera in recent league history. What you can't do, however, is make a case for the Packers falling apart now that old No. 4 is working in the Big Apple. That one just doesn't fly.

For those people who want to point to all the things Favre has accomplished in his glorious 17-year career, I will steer you to some of the feats Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy have pulled off during their brief tenure in Green Bay. They put the league's youngest team on the field last season and watched it win 13 games and an NFC North title.
They've rid themselves of aging, expensive veterans and filled their roster with young playmakers, 40 of whom Thompson acquired since becoming general manager in 2005. And for those who pay attention to the bottom line, the Packers are still $30 million under the cap.

Those are the kinds of facts that don't get mentioned in the media or by fans because they're not as sexy as the fate of a miffed 38-year-old quarterback who's headed for the Hall of Fame. But trust me, they matter far more than most people realize. Those facts mean that Thompson and McCarthy have been quite proficient at their jobs since showing up in Green Bay. They also mean that skeptical Packers fans should be excited about a team that has clearly been built to last.

In fact, all the Favre supporters who castigated Thompson over the past month need to finally realize how much Favre contributed to this controversy in the first place. Favre was the one who chose to retire back in March. He's also the one who said he wanted to return to the Packers a few weeks later, only to tell them he didn't want to come back after all. While I'm on the subject, he's still the same guy who kept this controversy stewing for so long because he wanted to get his way and manipulate the public into believing he was still a star worth loving.

If this past month should've told us anything about Favre, it's that we now understand why Thompson and McCarthy got fed up with the guy in the first place. Favre simply couldn't commit to their plan, either because he didn't feel loved enough or because Thompson wasn't willing to sign Randy Moss, hire Steve Mariucci and kiss Favre's ring all in the same motion.

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2008, 05:23 PM

The Shadow not only knows, but is a master at stating the obvious.

I wouldn't place much importance on the idea of Favre coming to the rescue and that option no longer being available. I know I'm flip-flopping a little, but I don't think he would have been able to come in after a Rodgers injury and do anything special anyway. Brohm is just as likely to be able to win with this outstanding overall team.

Bottom line, though, is that it is extremely doubtful IMO that Rodgers gets hurt.

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 05:34 PM

I wouldn't place much importance on the idea of Favre coming to the rescue and that option no longer being available. I know I'm flip-flopping a little, but I don't think he would have been able to come in after a Rodgers injury and do anything special anyway. Brohm is just as likely to be able to win with this outstanding overall team.

Bottom line, though, is that it is extremely doubtful IMO that Rodgers gets hurt.

With all of the hullabaloo, I just thought it might be helpful to state it.
In the last day, I've seen folks suddenly deciding the Packers will be lucky to go 7-9, after once targeting 10-6.

Rastak
08-07-2008, 05:37 PM

How do I put this politely.....let's see.

Are you out of your fucking mind?

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Yes you can!

You need me in the division to help raise your game :!:

From the sounds of it you suck without me ruffling your feathers :lol:

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Now that Brett Favre is a New York Jet and Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson is the most scrutinized executive in the NFL, let's get one thing straight: The Packers will be fine.

You can talk all you want about how much better the Packers would've been with Favre. You can point out the mistakes Thompson made in handling the longest-running soap opera in recent league history. What you can't do, however, is make a case for the Packers falling apart now that old No. 4 is working in the Big Apple. That one just doesn't fly.

For those people who want to point to all the things Favre has accomplished in his glorious 17-year career, I will steer you to some of the feats Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy have pulled off during their brief tenure in Green Bay. They put the league's youngest team on the field last season and watched it win 13 games and an NFC North title.
They've rid themselves of aging, expensive veterans and filled their roster with young playmakers, 40 of whom Thompson acquired since becoming general manager in 2005. And for those who pay attention to the bottom line, the Packers are still $30 million under the cap.

Those are the kinds of facts that don't get mentioned in the media or by fans because they're not as sexy as the fate of a miffed 38-year-old quarterback who's headed for the Hall of Fame. But trust me, they matter far more than most people realize. Those facts mean that Thompson and McCarthy have been quite proficient at their jobs since showing up in Green Bay. They also mean that skeptical Packers fans should be excited about a team that has clearly been built to last.

In fact, all the Favre supporters who castigated Thompson over the past month need to finally realize how much Favre contributed to this controversy in the first place. Favre was the one who chose to retire back in March. He's also the one who said he wanted to return to the Packers a few weeks later, only to tell them he didn't want to come back after all. While I'm on the subject, he's still the same guy who kept this controversy stewing for so long because he wanted to get his way and manipulate the public into believing he was still a star worth loving.

If this past month should've told us anything about Favre, it's that we now understand why Thompson and McCarthy got fed up with the guy in the first place. Favre simply couldn't commit to their plan, either because he didn't feel loved enough or because Thompson wasn't willing to sign Randy Moss, hire Steve Mariucci and kiss Favre's ring all in the same motion.

Shadow,

When I saw your intitial thread and post I was going to note you are sounding like a broken record often making the same point in many different ways.

But as for this, you make a lot of very good points in here and it was a very good post. :!:

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 07:57 PM

That part is bunk; we saw last year what he could do with very good receivers. Our WR's should be better this year. He was a great security blanket and if that pick turns out to be a 3rd or 4th round pick the security blanket .....with a decent outlook......may turn out to be far more valuable.

vince
08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Shadow,

When I saw your intitial thread and post I was going to note you are sounding like a broken record often making the same point in many different ways.

But as for this, you make a lot of very good points in here and it was a very good post.

Except that it wasn't his post...

That was lifted from ESPN. Shadow's attribution skills leave a little bit to be desired.

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Shadow,

But as for this, you make a lot of very good points in here and it was a very good post.

That was lifted from ESPN. Shadow's attribution skills leave a little bit to be desired.

I was actually referring to another his packer mgmt glorification commentary

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 08:16 PM

Of course he is. Did you just notice this?

Brohm is just as likely to win as brett...GOLD, JERRY, GOLD!!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Shadow,

Attribution is for viking's fans. We don't need any of that fancy dancy stuff here. :roll:

Rastak
08-07-2008, 08:18 PM

Of course he is. Did you just notice this?

Brohm is just as likely to win as brett...GOLD, JERRY, GOLD!!

Does he believe the things he types? That's what I want to know.

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 08:19 PM

I cited the source earlier in the thread.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 08:22 PM

I have no problem with it, but then again i'm a crackhead and i steal all the time....or rather, uh borrow...officer.

It was easy to think you wrote the column as your post.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Does he believe the things he types? That's what I want to know.

Yes.

He lives in his own bizarro world.

The Shadow
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM

I have no problem with it, but then again i'm a crackhead and i steal all the time....or rather, uh borrow...officer.

No. The spelling & grammar were fine.
Plus, there was a point.

RashanGary
08-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I look at it this way. The Packers could have very easily brought Brett Favre back with little to no stink. They chose to move forward with the guys they have.

I think McCarthy knows a little bit about quarterbacks and I think Thompson knows a little bit about building a football team.

Thompson and McCarthy are clearly confident in their chosen path. I don't know exactly what to expect from the QB position, but if McCArthy knows what he is doing, and I think he does, I think there is a good chance we have a very good year all around and at QB individually.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 08:30 PM

Plus, there was a point.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

HowardRoark
08-07-2008, 08:44 PM

Plus, there was a point.

I think he is being self deprecating. People used to do this in the old days.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 08:49 PM

Plus, there was a point.

Sigh. You just don't get it.

HowardRoark
08-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Teach me. Or am I just being culturally unaware again? Or something.

Freak Out
08-07-2008, 10:35 PM

They have my trust...I believe in what they are doing (for now).....they are the football professionals not me.

I'll say one last thing then I'm going to try my best to stay out of any jocklicking threads that may pop up.....TT has the biggest balls in the NFL...he is the man that traded #4 for the second time.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 10:40 PM

And sarcastic.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 10:44 PM

I was joking back...like he had no point, poor grammar, etc.

Thought it was apparent since his message was so terse..yet i couldn't get the point.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I was just thinking about the title of this thread, "AFter the dust settles..".

There's gonna be dust kicking up for some time! The real drama is the real season, how will Favre and Rodgers perform? Its just gonna be more interesting and fun to watch now, and I don't think ANYBODY can predict how it is gonna go.

HowardRoark
08-08-2008, 08:47 AM

Thought it was apparent since his message was so terse..yet i couldn't get the point.

Thanks for slowing down for me otown. Remember, I’m operating après stroke, so sometimes your nuanced wit gets lost in my dead grey matter.

Pugger
08-08-2008, 08:59 AM
It surprises me how the national media and fans in NY think they are getting a 1997 Favre! I wonder how much love Brett will get when he starts to improvise and throw into double coverage again...

HowardRoark
08-08-2008, 09:12 AM
I wonder how much love Brett will get when he starts to improvise and throw into double coverage again...

Kind of like he did over the past few months?

oregonpackfan
08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Shadow brings up two strong observations that the Packers are a very young team and are currently $30 million under the salary cap.

Being under the salary cap gives them the opportunity to resign the relatively young veterans to long term contracts.

K-town
08-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Shadow brings up two strong observations that the Packers are a very young team and are currently $30 million under the salary cap.

Being under the salary cap gives them the opportunity to resign the relatively young veterans to long term contracts.

If the CBA goes bye-bye, as many have predicted, then signing as many young players as possible to long term contracts would be great. Has TT been planning for this? Kinda looks like. If so, kudos to him.

The Shadow
08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
* The Brett Favre chants were pretty much gone -- what remains this morning is one lone heckler, who periodically is shouting insults during practice.

Dust settling sooner than expected?
tank/PackerBlue must be getting lonely out there.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-08-2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks for slowing down for me otown. Remember, I’m operating après stroke, so sometimes your nuanced wit gets lost in my dead grey matter.

Not to pry..but, you had that stroke recently? Family history? I or H?

Even before you mentioned you had a stroke i could tell....disorganized thinking, confusion, memory loss, etc. :oops:

Nuance: Not something you conservs do well or appreciate. :wink: