PDA

View Full Version : More wins in 2008?

RashanGary
08-07-2008, 08:23 PM
My vote is going for the Packers.

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
It won't even be close. Packers will be a good 3 games better than the Jets.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
It won't even be close. Packers will be a good 3 games better than the Jets.

That is a bit optimistic.

Jets could easily win 9 or 10 games.

RashanGary
08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
The Jets brought in a hell of a good offensive lineman and DeBrickshaw should be a rock out at LT.

I think they could be OK, but I could see Brett really struggling having only 4 weeks to get ready for the season in a completely different offense than what he's used to.

For some reason I see NE and SD absolutely tearing him apart in weeks 2 and 3. Him not being in the best shape of his career, being overwealmed with a new offense and his age, I acctually worry for him a little.

Freak Out
08-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Ha ha....

Gunakor
08-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Too close to call. I think both teams are 10 win teams this year. I voted Packers simply because I'm a Packers fan, but in all honesty I think it will be very close.

BallHawk
08-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Packers= 11 win team

Jets= 8 win team

RashanGary
08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Packers= 11 win team

Jets= 8 win team

I'm thinking close to this. I want to see Rodgers in the preseason and in the first couple games, but my initial thought is optimism.

Brando19
08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I saw this exact question on ESPN with the cast of 4 (such as Emmitt Smith and Keyshawn) and they all said the Jets will have more wins than the Packers but only Emmitt said the Jets will beat the Patriots at least once.

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Unless Aaron Rodgers is a complete piece of shit GB should have more wins.

Simply put the talent is just much better.

Jets have the better OL; QB aside I'm not sure I'd annoint any other position besides OL on the Jets as being better than Green Bay's.

Chevelle2
08-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I saw this exact question on ESPN with the cast of 4 (such as Emmitt Smith and Keyshawn) and they all said the Jets will have more wins than the Packers but only Emmitt said the Jets will beat the Patriots at least once.

:lol:

RashanGary
08-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Jets have the better OL; QB aside I'm not sure I'd annoint any other position besides OL on the Jets as being better than Green Bay's.

Acctually, other than Brett Favre the Packers were a 4-12 team. The Jets just got Favre and added a top tier FA when we added nobody. Shouldn't it be a no brainer to anyone who understands Favre carried this team that the Jets will blow us away?

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 09:08 PM

Acctually, other than Brett Favre the Packers were a 4-12 team. The Jets just got Favre and added a top tier FA when we added nobody. Shouldn't it be a no brainer to anyone who understands Favre carried this team that the Jets will blow us away?

Did you just ignore the position comparisons between GB and the Jets I made above to formulate your blanket sarcastic generalization or am I missing something ?

RIPackerFan
08-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm sorry - but if the Pack doesn't do better than the Jets - then I will be pissed off.

While Favre is a great QB - there is a lot of talent on this team - and for them not to be better than .500 (which is where I think the Jets will be) - I will seriously question MM and TT and start to wonder if more of their success wasn't because of Favre.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 09:22 PM

I'd say Jones is a better back than grant. Proven ability..but, not by much..or at least equal. There RB positon is better than ours.

Better at FB.

They are better at TE as well.

cpk1994
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
The Jets brought in a hell of a good offensive lineman and DeBrickshaw should be a rock out at LT.

I think they could be OK, but I could see Brett really struggling having only 4 weeks to get ready for the season in a completely different offense than what he's used to.

For some reason I see NE and SD absolutely tearing him apart in weeks 2 and 3. Him not being in the best shape of his career, being overwealmed with a new offense and his age, I acctually worry for him a little.The Vikings brought in Steve Hutchinson two seasons ago. How many playoff games have they gotten from that? My point is spending money on FA for the sake of spending largely does not get you anywhere. See Snyder, Daniel and Wilf, Zigi.

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 09:26 PM

I'd say Jones is a better back than grant. Proven ability..but, not by much..or at least equal. There RB positon is better than ours.

Better at FB.

We really don't know if their rookie will be better or worse than Donald Lee.......but if you wanted to argue for that position I'd concede

I'd take Ryan Grant over Thomas Jones. Of course if you want to argue that you won't let me have Grant based on lack of experience then you are stuck with Bubba Franks and I'm taking the TE Back :lol: I'd also take Brandon Jackson over their backup HB.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 09:34 PM

For some reason I see NE and SD absolutely tearing him apart in weeks 2 and 3. Him not being in the best shape of his career, being overwealmed with a new offense and his age, I acctually worry for him a little.The Vikings brought in Steve Hutchinson two seasons ago. How many playoff games have they gotten from that? My point is spending money on FA for the sake of spending largely does not get you anywhere. See Snyder, Daniel and Wilf, Zigi.

They brought in ONE lineman...and still had a crappy QB. They also didn't have a line like the jets..and look at how the hawks struggled to run after hutch left. They brought in Faneca and woody.

The point is that they didn't spend to spend..they spent WISELY. they needed to be able to run..so they signed good players..and brought in Bubba..who for all his faults can still block.

They brought in Richardson..who is a good blocker...or do you think AD got all those yards on his own.

RashanGary
08-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I am being sarcastic. I think the Packers will be fine adn I think Favre is going to struggle in his new environment.

That said, they do have a cupcake schedule and the Packers have a brutal one.

mraynrand
08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I'll never bet against Favre until he fails. Fucker is one of the greatest competitors in the history of the NFL. Jets offense looks good to me with Favre under center. Defense seems a bit sketchy, and Ahmad Carroll will provide much-needed yards for Jets opponents. I suspect the Packers will go 5-3 or 4-4, then will get better as Rodgers slowly improves. Jets will win their wild-card (12-6), Packers will struggle to make the playoffs and lose their wildcard (10-7). I think Grant is better (or will be better) than Thomas Jones.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 09:55 PM

Better at FB.

We really don't know if their rookie will be better or worse than Donald Lee.......but if you wanted to argue for that position I'd concede

I'd take Ryan Grant over Thomas Jones. Of course if you want to argue that you won't let me have Grant based on lack of experience then you are stuck with Bubba Franks and I'm taking the TE Back :lol: I'd also take Brandon Jackson over their backup HB.

I'd take Baker ..think you forgot about his 41 catches, and Bubba over Lee and Tory (or are we gonna count those consecutive not playing a as a positive)..toss out rookies...sorry, you lose. :wink:

RB: Jones has had 3 consecutive 1000 yard campaigns..with crap teams. Sorry, but at this stage he is the better/more accomplished back.

As for backups..i'd take musa, chatman and more importantly Leon Washington over ours right now. Wash had a 5 yard average which pretty much kills bjack. :oops:

Now, Bjack may wind up a better back...but, washington was better in college..and has been better so far.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I'll never bet against Favre until he fails. Fucker is one of the greatest competitors in the history of the NFL. Jets offense looks good to me with Favre under center. Defense seems a bit sketchy, and Ahmad Carroll will provide much-needed yards for Jets opponents. I suspect the Packers will go 5-3 or 4-4, then will get better as Rodgers slowly improves. Jets will win their wild-card (12-6), Packers will struggle to make the playoffs and lose their wildcard (10-7). I think Grant is better (or will be better) than Thomas Jones.

Guess you stopped betting after the 4-12 season? :wink:

Grant: He may be..but, hard to discount 3 1000 yard seasons.

Zool
08-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Better at FB.

In 2 weeks, Thomas Jones hits the magical 30. His best season as a full-time starter was 4.3 a carry. That was his first year in Chicago, when they supposedly had some sort of awesome ground game. He's gone down hill every year since in YPC. He has almost 2000 NFL touches.

Washington is crazy fast, but its doubtful that he'll ever be a 25 carry guy at 5'8 200. Richardson was still a really good blocker last year, but the guy will be 37 before the season is out. How many times can a guy run hard as he can into a lineman or LB?

We wont go any further into the depth, mainly cause I know nothing about Justin Valentine and very little about Musa Smith.

Needless to say that RB core doesn't exactly strike fear. If Grant picks up where he left off, I call us the winners.

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I am being sarcastic. I think the Packers will be fine adn I think Favre is going to struggle in his new environment.

I know, and I agree with your above points. Although I'd probably consider the Packers schedule hard, but not near brutal. We still get four games against the Lions and Bears and face Tavarius Jackson the other two

Zool
08-07-2008, 10:01 PM
RB: Jones has had 3 consecutive 1000 yard campaigns..with crap teams. Sorry, but at this stage he is the better/more accomplished back.

As for backups..i'd take musa, chatman and more importantly Leon Washington over ours right now. Wash had a 5 yard average which pretty much kills bjack. :oops:

Now, Bjack may wind up a better back...but, washington was better in college..and has been better so far.

Crappy SB team?

mraynrand
08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Guess you stopped betting after the 4-12 season? :wink:

I'll take your wink to be one of deep knowledge of the 2005 season. 95% of Packer fans are still blaming Shermy for that year anyway (correction by TT from 'Salary cap hell'), but it really was a lost season with injuries. If the Jets suck like the Pack did that year (and lose 5 starters on offense), Favre will probably spray the ball around trying to win games with his arm. I'll take that Favre over Pennington any day. I'd like to see Pennington - or just about any QB - play with the shit Favre had on offense that year and play the way he did against the Bears and Pitt. even with the errors due to pressing, he carried a shitty offense all by his lonesome, and almost won some improbable victories. That's a long-winded way of saying that, in my opinion, Favre didn't fail that year.

mraynrand
08-07-2008, 10:05 PM

Of course he is.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Better at FB.

In 2 weeks, Thomas Jones hits the magical 30. His best season as a full-time starter was 4.3 a carry. That was his first year in Chicago, when they supposedly had some sort of awesome ground game. He's gone down hill every year since in YPC. He has almost 2000 NFL touches.

Washington is crazy fast, but its doubtful that he'll ever be a 25 carry guy at 5'8 200. Richardson was still a really good blocker last year, but the guy will be 37 before the season is out. How many times can a guy run hard as he can into a lineman or LB?

We wont go any further into the depth, mainly cause I know nothing about Justin Valentine and very little about Musa Smith.

Needless to say that RB core doesn't exactly strike fear. If Grant picks up where he left off, I call us the winners.

I agree, nothing fearful...but, backs dont' have to die at 30..especially ones that got like 100 carries their first 4 years in the league.

YPC...i don't put much stock in that in regards to him as he clearly played with teams that couldn't pass...bears...YUCK...Jets..Pennington has a noodle arm...and their line sucked.

Wash: He is small..but, production is production. At this stage he clearly has beaten Bjack..in the pros and KILLED him in college. I agree..no 25 a game..but, neither will bjack.

Richardson: Def old, but so what. Can still get the job done..and, more importantly..our Fbs haven't been great. How many times...well, he could be the exception...gotta think gm/coach knows more than me and you.

I would call it even at this stage...but, i think experience goes their way...and that counts for something. Grant has EIGHT games...i'm not sold yet. Willard Harrell had a season..look how that turned out. :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 10:12 PM

Crappy SB team?

That offense sucked. You and i both know that. Great defense.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 10:14 PM

Of course he is.

Better as well.

Betting: Brett has had other bad/average seasons. I don't put the blame on him. But, I think it is going to be a tough season...a ton to learn..adjusting to receivers, etc.

That is why the running game of the jets is crucial...like it was for us.

Bretsky
08-07-2008, 10:18 PM

Better at FB.

I'd take Baker ..think you forgot about his 41 catches, and Bubba over Lee and Tory (or are we gonna count those consecutive not playing a as a positive)..toss out rookies...sorry, you lose. :wink:

OK if you want to use stats

Donald Lee 48 catches 575 yards and 6 TD's
Chris Baker 41 catches 409 yards and 3 TD;s

Thomas Jones 310 carries 1100 yards 3.6 yards per carry 1 TD
Ryan Grant 188 carries 956 yards 5.1 yards per carry 8 TD's

And BTW, for me it's not about being right. I could care less

Being right is for all of you egomaniacs that can never be wrong about anything

mraynrand
08-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Crappy SB team?

I did some research on that year a while back. Going from memory I recall that the Bears defense was so good that their offense had on average almost three more possessions per game that the next best NFL team. It was a gaudy difference. Given the Bears were a run first team, with the occasional deep bomb, I'm betting Jones got some more opportunities than he might have had with a similarly crappy offensive team with an average defense.

Zool
08-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Crappy SB team?

Yeah they did suck, but they had 3200 yards passing up 1000 yards from the previous year and Jones stats all went down. I've never been a big Thomas Jones fan, and I have a feeling he's gonna drop off the radar soon enough.

mraynrand
08-07-2008, 10:22 PM

Of course he is.

Better as well.

Well, now that you've stated your opinion twice, you've stated it twice. Got another one in there?

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2008, 10:25 PM

My personal opinion is that Baker and Lee are similar talents, but Lee was slightly better last year.

I'd take Ryan Grant over Thomas Jones.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Better at FB.

I said Baker and Bubba...curious how you left that part out. I, from the beginning said TEs..not one.

Where are the #s comparing Bubba and Humprey? :roll:

Grant/Jones: There is no doubt that grant has a better ypc. Grant also played with a HOF QB..jones didnt'. JOnes also was there for the whole season...grant wasn't. Jones has produced 3 straight years.

Grant has 8 games to his credit. I guess you are one of those guys who prefers to pay rookies over vets. :oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 10:27 PM

Crappy SB team?

I did some research on that year a while back. Going from memory I recall that the Bears defense was so good that their offense had on average almost three more possessions per game that the next best NFL team. It was a gaudy difference. Given the Bears were a run first team, with the occasional deep bomb, I'm betting Jones got some more opportunities than he might have had with a similarly crappy offensive team with an average defense.

That is prolly true.

And more opps to get pounded since they knew what was coming..which makes the 4.3 even more impressive.

Zool
08-07-2008, 10:28 PM

Crappy SB team?

That is prolly true.

And more opps to get pounded since they knew what was coming..which makes the 4.3 even more impressive.

4.1 during the SB year. Benson also hit 4.1 that year and that guy is not good. Jones was good, but I think he's on his way out.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 10:33 PM

Crappy SB team?

Yeah they did suck, but they had 3200 yards passing up 1000 yards from the previous year and Jones stats all went down. I've never been a big Thomas Jones fan, and I have a feeling he's gonna drop off the radar soon enough.

I"m not a huge fan either...but, i do respect a guy who has been in the league a long time. I respect production.

Do i wish Grant to do well..hell yes, but 8 games is 8 games. Show me over a season. Show me without Brett.

You get the pic.

Receiving: Cotchery really improved, but their passing game was 25th in the league. That ain't good. Penn qb rating 86..Clemens 60.9..and he played 10 games..you know that has to hurt any RB.[/quote]

Zool
08-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Crappy SB team?

I"m not a huge fan either...but, i do respect a guy who has been in the league a long time. I respect production.

Do i wish Grant to do well..hell yes, but 8 games is 8 games. Show me over a season. Show me without Brett.

You get the pic.

Receiving: Cotchery really improved, but their passing game was 25th in the league. That ain't good. Penn qb rating 86..Clemens 60.9..and he played 10 games..you know that has to hurt any RB.

I agree with you on everything but Jones and the season he will have.

Jimx29
08-07-2008, 10:37 PM
pack 6
hets 10

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 10:40 PM
4.1 during the SB year. Benson also hit 4.1 that year and that guy is not good. Jones was good, but I think he's on his way out.

Benson hasn't shown much..and he has acted dumb for sure.

But, i'm reluctant to write off that kind of talent. He looked great in college.

I have a hard time judging players completely on bad teams or poorly run orgs...those years spent living it Tampa when culverhouse ran the team...showed me that plenty of quality players looked like crap.

Steve Young looked like shit.

NOt saying Benson is young..but, i'm willing to cut him a bit of slack. Last years bears team offense...yuck.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I agree with you on everything but Jones and the season he will have.

We'll see..that is what is so great about football. Can't wait.

If jones can't produce with that line...forget about it.

Bossman641
08-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Saw the same thing. Not only did they all say the Jets would have more wins, but they all acted like it wasn't even a question.

Whatever, let our team go back to being disrespected. I like playing that role.

Bretsky
08-08-2008, 12:33 AM

Better at FB.

I said Baker and Bubba...curious how you left that part out. I, from the beginning said TEs..not one.

Where are the #s comparing Bubba and Humprey? :roll:

Grant/Jones: There is no doubt that grant has a better ypc. Grant also played with a HOF QB..jones didnt'. JOnes also was there for the whole season...grant wasn't. Jones has produced 3 straight years.

Grant has 8 games to his credit. I guess you are one of those guys who prefers to pay rookies over vets. :oops:

Bubba, are you kidding me ? Gosh I didn't even know he counted anymore.
OK have it your way. Bubba Franks had 18 catches for 132 yards on the season. Three TD's. If you want to use those stats to argue anything feel free to do so.

And I'm sure you know Humphrey didn't play last year...well I think you do.

oregonpackfan
08-08-2008, 12:51 AM
I still think the Packers can win 10 games without Favre. This is a young team with good talent.

With Favre, I think the Jets will improve from 4-12 to 7-9 or 8-8. They just do not have the overall talent of the Packers.

Freak Out
08-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Warning! Warning! Massive quote chain developing! Danger Will Robinson!

:lol:

I say it's going to be about even....slight edge to the PACK!

mmmdk
08-08-2008, 02:05 AM

I know, and I agree with your above points. Although I'd probably consider the Packers schedule hard, but not near brutal. We still get four games against the Lions and Bears and face Tavarius Jackson the other two

I expect a brutal MNF opener vs Vikings; the war of words! I expect the Vikings to be so fired up and I expect Packers will match that.

It's A-Rod vs T-Jack...I think turnovers are key plus who can stop the run.

I'm sizzling for this game already.

BTW; I don't see the NFC North as a cupcake division. Packers will most likely be a 9-7 team this season and not due to being sans Favre but a killer schedule will do that. Many good teams go 8-8 or 9-7 yet I hope for more. Football is tough and unless you're a powerhouse then 10 wins are hard to achieve. But :glug: to the beginning of another Packer powerhouse era - just win baby :pack: