PDA

View Full Version : Favre - 6 pack abs?

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I was very impressed w/ FAvre in his news conference today. Honestly, I think severing ties w/ GB has already started to clear his head.

But there was one red flag, he said "Of course I'm not in as good of shape as the other guys here" (or something similar)

Yikes! A 39-year-old man has to push his body to its absolute best shape to compete with the youngins.

RashanGary
08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
I was very impressed w/ FAvre in his news conference today. Honestly, I think severing ties w/ GB has already started to clear his head.

But there was one red flag, he said "Of course I'm not in as good of shape as the other guys here" (or something similar)

Yikes! A 39-year-old man has to push his body to its absolute best shape to compete with the youngins.

Looking at his pictures, I thought he looked a little chubbier than the past couple years. He's still fit, but the last couple years he looked to be in the best shape of his life and this year it looked like he dropped off a little. I don't think that is going to bode well for a 39 year old guy learning a new offense, living in a new city with extrememly harsh media scrutiny.

I expect one of Brett's worst seasons. I'd like a 2nd round pick for them making the playoffs but somehow I doubt he'll be able to get them there. Hopefully he can get 50% of the snaps to get us a 3rd rounder.

digitaldean
08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Looking at his pictures, I thought he looked a little chubbier than the past couple years. He's still fit, but the last couple years he looked to be in the best shape of his life and this year it looked like he dropped off a little. I don't think that is going to bode well for a 39 year old guy learning a new offense, living in a new city with extrememly harsh media scrutiny.

I expect one of Brett's worst seasons. I'd like a 2nd round pick for them making the playoffs but somehow I doubt he'll be able to get them there. Hopefully he can get 50% of the snaps to get us a 3rd rounder.

The Packers spent a ton of money last year to have a personal trainer with Favre. They did a lot of core body training. I don't think that would burn off as much 39 year old weight as working out with the Oak Grove H.S. team. :D

mraynrand
08-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I was thinking quarter barrel abs, looking at that spare tire around the Favre waist. Still, all the negative Favre comments are interesting. Once Favre makes up his mind, assuming he has, he'll be a monster. I'm guessing it will take the entire preseason to get him in shape and up to speed, but barring injury, the guy will be a beast in the reg. season.

MJZiggy
08-07-2008, 09:44 PM
His problem right now is that there's not much of a preseason left. He's got a lot of work to do in a big hurry.

RashanGary
08-07-2008, 09:46 PM
His problem right now is that there's not much of a preseason left. He's got a lot of work to do in a big hurry.

Yep, 3 preseason games, 4 weeks, no time with the playbook in advance, no time with a trainer. Looks a few pounds heavy.

If Brett has a monster year, my respect for his play will be through the roof.

GBRulz
08-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I haven't seen him in uniform at all this year to say whether he looks chubby or not. Not sure how you can tell in street clothes, but he looks the same to me.

And when a guy is in the league as long as he's been, I would think he's somewhat familiar with other schemes besides the WCO. The most difficult thing for him at this point will be finding the chemistry in time with his receivers. That's something that no playbook can teach.

Noodle
08-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Actually, I think terminology is going to be the biggest trick. The guy hasn't had to learn many different languages in his career, and I'm guessing Jets terminology is going to sound Greek to him. He'll be thinking in Packers terms and having to translate to Jets talk. Not easy. That's what will make learning the playbook difficult.

I also think he's going to be surprised at how hard it is to get in to shape. Through sad experience, I can tell you it's shocking how quickly it goes and how hard it is to get it back as you age.

But I really hope he has a terrific season, one where the Jets are happy with the trade and where Favre feels good about football again.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
I think he has plenty of time to learn their system and players. Well, not plenty, but enough. They can start the year with a somewhat trimmed-down playbook, keep adding.

I still think his physical condition is the biggy. When people think about old QB's, they are usually around 34, 35. Favre is still got physical talent, but he can get injured awfully easily at 39 if he is not in top form.

NewsBruin
08-07-2008, 11:20 PM
I think some fans have been too enthusiastic in how quickly Brett can learn a new system.

I don't know jack about real-life quarterbacking, but knowing what to look for in 3-5 people are doing in relation to 7-11 other people, whom to look at first, and how to do it so that the 7-11 other guys think you're doing something else, all in the span of 3 seconds is not something that can be picked up in a week.

Also, if just about any 38-year-old guy over 200 lbs has washboard abs (I'm thinking of you, Roger Clemens), there are more than weighted yellow flags a-flying in my mind.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I don't know jack about football, but knowing what to look for in 3-5 people are doing in relation to 7-11 other people, whom to look at first, and how to do it so that the 7-11 other guys think you're doing something else, all in the span of 3 seconds is not something that can be picked up in a week.

ya, but most of it transfers from his 16 years of experience. he's been reading defenses for a long time.

Packers4Ever
08-07-2008, 11:40 PM

Harlan, I thought the exact same thing while watching him, he was in a very good mood, and although he spoke off the cuff, he came across sounding confident - he had something to say and he spoke right up too!
Sure didn't come across like the old Favre news conferences, did he?

And - - - he'll look just fine in green and white! :D A little out of shape? Nahhh

LEWCWA
08-08-2008, 12:50 AM
I think he has plenty of time to learn their system and players. Well, not plenty, but enough. They can start the year with a somewhat trimmed-down playbook, keep adding.

I still think his physical condition is the biggy. When people think about old QB's, they are usually around 34, 35. Favre is still got physical talent, but he can get injured awfully easily at 39 if he is not in top form.

Favre will be injured. Funny considering your boy can't stay healthy with minimal playing time! I expect Rodgers to miss at least 4 games this season!

Lurker64
08-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Favre will be injured. Funny considering your boy can't stay healthy with minimal playing time! I expect Rodgers to miss at least 4 games this season!

Statistically, Backup QBs are injured much more often on a per snap basis than starting QBs are. Having limited reps to prepare you for the physicality of the game and having to go into games cold are major reasons for this. Seriously, look it up.

Freak Out
08-08-2008, 01:22 AM
The Jets think he will get about 60 percent of the playbook before the regular season...but the main thing is for him to work like crazy with the offense and get that timing down. He'll be ok.

mission
08-08-2008, 01:23 AM

Statistically, Backup QBs are injured much more often on a per snap basis than starting QBs are. Having limited reps to prepare you for the physicality of the game and having to go into games cold are major reasons for this. Seriously, look it up.

Hmm.

I do learn something new every day. I thought I was done with that.

:lol:

Srsly, very interesting and seemingly valid factoid. :idea:

(i remember going in for a bit as a sophomore.... woooweee, got my ass kicked... was definitely not ready just runnin out onto the field lol... thats a real good point)

Pacopete4
08-08-2008, 02:28 AM

Harlan.. go fuck yourself... suck arods sick some more.. favre will be the best you'll see and he'l prove it over the next few years

Pacopete4
08-08-2008, 02:28 AM
...........if he hasn't already

vince
08-08-2008, 03:07 AM

Harlan.. go fuck yourself... suck arods sick some more.. favre will be the best you'll see and he'l prove it over the next few years
Yeah Harlan, you've got a lot of nerve complimenting a man, quoting him and mentioning his age! Go fuck yourself man! You don't know shit! Suck some more sick why don't ya!

Pacopete4
08-08-2008, 03:11 AM

Yeah Harlan, you've got a lot of nerve complimenting a man, quoting him and mentioning his age! Go fuck yourself man! You don't know shit! Suck some more sick why don't ya!

Tarlam!
08-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Vince, you got me! Hot coffee outta my nostrils funny, man!