PDA

View Full Version : Jaworski Predicts Steep Learning Curve For Favre

oregonpackfan
08-08-2008, 12:46 AM
I heard former Eagles QB and current TV analyst Ron Jaworski on ESPN radio today. He predicts a steep learning curve for Brett Favre in learning the Jets playbook, terminology, sets, etc.

He was not trying to disrespect Favre. He was just saying that going from one team's offense to another in modern football is quite a difficult adjustment.

Several weeks ago, Rich Gannon, a highly intelligent quarterback, came out stating it took a long time for him to adapt to the Raiders' offense when he joined that team. He also stated that Favre would be very surprised at the magnitude of adjustment necessary to learn an entire new scheme.

I suspect that Brett might make quite a few mistakes in the first half of the Jets' season.

Iron Mike
08-08-2008, 01:46 AM
I suspect that Brett might make quite a few mistakes in the first half of the Jets' season.

I think he's gonna shit the bed all season long. :(

That is, unless his inability to keep in shape this offseason leads to an injury. :( :(

VegasPackFan
08-08-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm wondering if there might be some adjustments to the offense to accomodate him. You cant change the whole offense or even the terminology, but you could simplify the playbook initially.

Iron Mike
08-08-2008, 02:34 AM
I'm wondering if there might be some adjustments to the offense to accomodate him. You cant change the whole offense or even the terminology, but you could simplify the playbook initially.

Psshhhh...you don't need a playbook to gunsling!!! :roll:

Pacopete4
08-08-2008, 02:50 AM

he does have Bubba....................

The Leaper
08-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Favre is a hard worker though...that is why he burns himself out. I don't think he'll have a huge problem making the transition, but it is going to take a lot of work and Favre will be burned out by December.

KYPack
08-08-2008, 07:49 AM
The Jets were a tough team in '06. They beat the shit out of us in Lambeau. They were a play-off team and beat the Vikings and the Patriots on the road.

Mangini was the boy genius back then, Now he is a hated, stinking beast. Man, I'm surprised Brett went there. He really only knows a few of the guys. There is no way I'd have thought he'd go to the AFC.

New coach
New Conference
New offense

Sometimes, I can't figure that Mississippi Hillbilly out.

Fritz
08-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah, KY, it is weird. Really, he could've told TT and MM that he'd refuse to talk to the Jets, refuse to report. Then he could've gone to Tampa, and heck, it he'd refused that, he might've even ended up in Minny for a fifth rounder or something.

Maybe he was trying to just get it over with, though now I wonder if he's asking himself if he really even wants to play now.

In the end, Favre had months to decide to be the GBP QB in '08 and chose not to. Once he started changing his mind, both sides began to bungle it.

Bossman641
08-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Favre is a hard worker though...that is why he burns himself out. I don't think he'll have a huge problem making the transition, but it is going to take a lot of work and Favre will be burned out by December.

It still generally takes 1-2 years in a system before a QB is totally comfortable with it, even for veterans.

packinpatland
08-08-2008, 08:33 AM
We're talking football here......not rocket science. :roll:

GBRulz
08-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm sure the Patriots have some film that he could watch to also get him up to speed!

RashanGary
08-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Favre is going to go into the Patriots game with a dumbed down playbook, slightly out of shape and a little overwealmed.

The Patriots are going to look at the Miami game tape adn they are going to be ready for the 20 plays Favre knows how to run. They are going to be jumping routes and do everythign they can to beat him down. That is one game I worry for his health. Then he has the Chargers after that wiht Merriman in his face.

After that it's a cupcake schedule, but weeks 2 and 3 are going to be a gauntlet for him.

KYPack
08-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah, KY, it is weird. Really, he could've told TT and MM that he'd refuse to talk to the Jets, refuse to report. Then he could've gone to Tampa, and heck, it he'd refused that, he might've even ended up in Minny for a fifth rounder or something.

Maybe he was trying to just get it over with, though now I wonder if he's asking himself if he really even wants to play now.

In the end, Favre had months to decide to be the GBP QB in '08 and chose not to. Once he started changing his mind, both sides began to bungle it.

I wonder if there is an old beef with Gruden or something out there we don't know about. Tampa makes all the sense in the world for BF. It's Southern, NFC, the offense is similar, etc.

NYJ? It just doesn't compute for me. I think Brett may have pulled a huge fuck-up on this one.

I hope not. I love that wacko, hope he does well.

swede
08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
We're talking football here......not rocket science. :roll:

The mental processing demands on offensive linemen and quarterbacks in professional football are substantial. Wide receivers and running backs are two positions that can survive without huge brain capacity, but you'll notice that even good young receivers like Jennings and Jones are capable of running the wrong routes in games. It's not because they're too slow to remember which route coming out of the huddle. Often the routes change as they come to the line of scrimmage and see different defensive alignments. And running backs need to be able to identify and respond to blitzes without screwing up or they can't be trusted in the backfield to simply carry the rock through the right hole.

But it's the quarterback who has to keep track of it all. The quarterback calls a play and then needs to know all the cascading permutations if routes and blocking assignments are switched to address changes in defensive alignments.

Ryan Leaf would have had better luck trying to build a rocket.

Chevelle2
08-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Another thing people are overlooking is that Favre isn't familiar with the AFC opponents. At least with TB, he has played NO, and CAR etc.

With NYJ, he hasn't played against some of those teams in YEARS.

The Leaper
08-08-2008, 09:31 AM
NYJ? It just doesn't compute for me. I think Brett may have pulled a huge fuck-up on this one.

I hope not. I love that wacko, hope he does well.

I think the biggest reason Favre went to NY was because the Jets really showed they WANTED him. They didn't care if he was 38. They didn't care if he didn't know their system.

Any employee likes to feel WANTED by their employer. While I don't think the Packers were trying to get rid of Favre, they weren't really interested in fighting to keep him either. With Rodgers ready to go, they were really disinterested...they were fine if Favre stayed or went.

In the end, I think Favre will come to realize that being wanted isn't the only part of equation for success and happiness...and that NY isn't a great place to go if you are looking to REMAIN wanted.

cuqui
08-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Remember Favre didn't pick the Jets over the Bucs, the Packers did. Favre could've vetoed it but its not like he was in a position to choose.

The Leaper
08-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Remember Favre didn't pick the Jets over the Bucs, the Packers did. Favre could've vetoed it but its not like he was in a position to choose.

Yeah, but the Packers would not have gotten any compensation if they traded him to a team where he did not want to go. The only way we get a good draft pick is to find a place where they want him and he wants them.

Spaulding
08-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Wasn't the basis for this trade the fact that after all that went on between him and Packers organization he didn't want to be a Packer due to TT any longer?

Per all the news flying around, it appears this was the one road block and why he couldn't commit 100% to the Packers and thus why M3 couldn't commit to allowing Favre a chance to compete for the starting QB position.

Am I wrong? As for why he chose the Jets, probably partly due to being wanted and partly just wanting it all over so he could get into camp and starting playing what he really wants right now - football.

As much as I respect TT as a GM and blame Brett for a lot of this, you have to think that if TT was better at communication that Brett wouldn't have misunderstood the emails/texts/chats and would still be under center for us this year.

DonHutson
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I think the biggest reason Favre went to NY was because the Jets really showed they WANTED him.

In the end, I think Favre will come to realize that being wanted isn't the only part of equation for success and happiness...and that NY isn't a great place to go if you are looking to REMAIN wanted.

I agree 100% with all of that. The Jets needed him the most, and they kissed his ass the hardest. Feeling wanted is what all of this was about.

Pretty soon the instant gratification of stepping on the field and being appreciated will wear off, and he'll he left with a lot of work to do in an unfamiliar place. He didn't seem all that excited yesterday. Two months from now I think he'll be wondering what he got himself into.

mmmdk
08-08-2008, 10:42 AM

he does have Bubba....................

...and Clowney! Favre does, after all, know some guys in the locker room!

mmmdk
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I think the biggest reason Favre went to NY was because the Jets really showed they WANTED him.

I agree 100% with all of that. The Jets needed him the most, and they kissed his ass the hardest. Feeling wanted is what all of this was about.

Pretty soon the instant gratification of stepping on the field and being appreciated will wear off, and he'll he left with a lot of work to do in an unfamiliar place. He didn't seem all that excited yesterday. Two months from now I think he'll be wondering what he got himself into.

Yeah, a lot of kissing on the first date yet Mangini ain't no Shermy in the long run.

The Leaper
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Yep.

Especially when he looks back and realizes he could've been playing for Green Bay if he would just cut back on his ego enough to not hold a grudge against Thompson or management.

Favre will certainly regret how this played out when all is said and done.