PDA

View Full Version : Bob McGinn

Ballboy
08-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know when he posts his articles?

I'm sure this has been talked about in here, but I found it really interesting how he was really pushing TT, MM & MM for the "real" reasons Brett didn't want to play here. MM seemed to get really peaved at the end with his comments that McGinn was asking the same questions, just in different ways.

MM stood his ground, I gotta give him credit.......but I'm kinda waiting for McGinn to come out with a real good article on this.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 09:35 AM

He posted an article a couple of days ago with that slant.

The Leaper
08-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Personally, I think McGinn is GARBAGE.

Honestly, everything he writes about, I just toss in the GARBAGE CAN. It is a complete waste of time reading his GARBAGE and I wish the J/S would just CAN his ass. Maybe then I wouldn't have to go and empty my GARBAGE CAN so damn much.

Just a friendly hint to any newbies.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I like McGinn. I like all of the JSO writers. I even liked Uncle Cliffy. I haven't found any newspaper that has better writers covering their local football team. They have connections. They aren't afraid to post the truth. There aren't a ton of fluff pieces--except those written by Lori Nickel.

KYPack
08-08-2008, 10:03 AM
I like McGinn. I like all of the JSO writers. I even liked Uncle Cliffy. I haven't found any newspaper that has better writers covering their local football team. They have connections. They aren't afraid to post the truth. There aren't a ton of fluff pieces--except those written by Lori Nickel.

I didn't pay close enough attention to the exact info, but isn't McGinn the source of the "Favre called the Vikes on Packer cell phones" tale?

If so, he's either a Packer lackey or damaged his own credibility.

None of the Packer writers really get into technical football as it's played on the field. The only guy that seems to touch on that is that Eric Barnczyk (SP some Polack name) dude. He's real good.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Bob actually tried to defend himself in his latest chat on that. Now, I don't exactly buy his explanation (maybe his source was wrong; it happens), but I do believe that 1) he's going with relatively trustworthy sources (he seems to be connected to some good around the NFL), and 2) that he's no Packers lackey. In fact, a lot of Packer fans have thought he was too harsh on the organization before the last couple of weeks.

Q: Tim Franklin of Sandstone, MN - Vikings Coach Brad Childress was not exactly complimentary to you on Monday. How would you respond to his "consider the source" type of response when asked when you reported that the Packers had contacted the Vikings a few days ago about a possible Favre trade? Childress said it was not true at all. All the Star Tribune reporters, by the way, have defended your reporting.

A: Bob McGinn - Tim: Mr. Childress is typical of many NFL head coaches. They consider themselves so powerful that it's their right to distort the truth. We have two separate, unimpeachable sources saying the Packers called the Vikings last Friday and told them that they might consider dealing Favre within the division if he reported. That is the fact of the matter. Now let's just think about this for a minute. Childress is shocked that the news got out. He also was shocked that news got out that Favre had been calling him and Darrell Bevell during the offseason from one of his many cell phones. What possible reason would there be for me to lie? I have no stake in anything that happens. I'm a dispassionate reporter with no emotional ties to any of this. My only master is my newspaper. Management at my paper was well aware of the sources, and obviously approved the story. And do you think there might be reason for Childress to lie? Plus, any number of people in the industry have told me that distortion and deceit basically are how Childress does business.

Q: TD of Waukesha - In a recent article you reported that "One source said Favre had continued to use his Packers-issued cell phone. When the Packers checked his phone log, there were repeated calls to coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell." That report has been, so far as I can tell, denied by all parties. Does your 'one source' stand by that story? How difficult is it becoming to trust information from various sources as this story has progressed, and it appears as though both camps seem to be intentionally leaking untrue or misleading information to advance thier own positions or agendas?

A: Bob McGinn - TD: Yes, I stand by that story. In many ways, it is a matter of semantics. Favre has so many cell phones going to deal in all areas of his life. Now who denied that story. Cook. The Packers. Favre. Some of those people were concerned about salary cap violations, some were concerned about looking foolish. The day that the NFL said no tampering against Minnesota, I tried to discuss one final time about Favre's use of phones. Please check it out.

Q: jake of istanbul - Chris Mortenson bored me with a near total lack of objectivity in reporting the Favre saga. I assume his loyalty was due to Favre giving him scoops over the years. You come across as a crystal clean objective sportswriter, but if you had to choose one player who you might have been slightly forgiving (or unforgiving) in your coverage, who would it be and why?

A: Bob McGinn - J: I can assure you nobody pays me anything other than my employer. I lose stories by not sucking up to people, but my ability to think and decide issues on my own is not compromised. I know some readers appreciate that. It's called ripability. You can rip anyone at any time, and if you're fair about it people still will deal with you. Not all, but most. Because it's about fairness. And if people are treated fairly by a reporter, whether it's good this time and bad the next, then fine. That's how I treated Favre. If he played well, I wrote it. If he played poorly, I wrote it. Made no difference to me what I was writing. Just so it was accurate, objective and, hopefully, insightful. Coverage maybe you can't get elsewhere. AT JS, that's what we endeavor to do.

cpk1994
08-08-2008, 10:19 AM
I like McGinn. I like all of the JSO writers. I even liked Uncle Cliffy. I haven't found any newspaper that has better writers covering their local football team. They have connections. They aren't afraid to post the truth. There aren't a ton of fluff pieces--except those written by Lori Nickel.I don't like Cliffy as he seems to have a bug up his ass regarding TT. The hit piece he recently wrote is an example of what I mean, not to mention the one he wrote about KRob.

KYPack
08-08-2008, 10:20 AM
OK.

Thanks, Harve. I dunno if this gets to the bottom of it, sounds like McGinn got stiffed.

bobblehead
08-08-2008, 12:10 PM
OK.

Thanks, Harve. I dunno if this gets to the bottom of it, sounds like McGinn got stiffed.

McGinn had a source and he is sticking with his story. It makes sense that favre and the packers denied the cell phone story.

bobblehead
08-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Honestly, everything he writes about, I just toss in the GARBAGE CAN. It is a complete waste of time reading his GARBAGE and I wish the J/S would just CAN his ass. Maybe then I wouldn't have to go and empty my GARBAGE CAN so damn much.

Interestingly he is the only one I really look to for credible information. Last year when people were saying the packers MIGHT win 8 games he was predicting 12 and backing up why....very much like the season played out no less.

I think you might have a slightly biased opinion because he has been critical of favre for the last 5 years or so.

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 12:34 PM
best writers in the state are Bob McGinn and Jason Wilde

some people don't like them because they are very opinionated

Tom Oates is the next best, but a notch down.

Freak Out
08-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Interestingly he is the only one I really look to for credible information. Last year when people were saying the packers MIGHT win 8 games he was predicting 12 and backing up why....very much like the season played out no less.

I think you might have a slightly biased opinion because he has been critical of favre for the last 5 years or so.

:lol:

Lurker64
08-08-2008, 02:50 PM

I think you may be mistaking Leaper's carefully coded message for his real opinion.

pbmax
08-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I cannot claim that McGinn is above doing the Packers a favor, but I know he is no lackey, KY.

He is the guy who took the stuffing out of Sherman for the BJ Sander debacle by going public with the personnel people's griping about his handling of the GM personnel duties. There were complaints about many, serious things, but the striking one was that Sherman got mocked by his own people for believing a false story about Sanders having a fourth round grade on certain team's boards. Therefore he felt he had to trade into the 3rd to get him.

Sherman's response was to put the entire personnel dept off limits even for off the record chats.

I didn't pay close enough attention to the exact info, but isn't McGinn the source of the "Favre called the Vikes on Packer cell phones" tale?

If so, he's either a Packer lackey or damaged his own credibility.

None of the Packer writers really get into technical football as it's played on the field. The only guy that seems to touch on that is that Eric Barnczyk (SP some Polack name) dude. He's real good.

LEWCWA
08-08-2008, 04:49 PM

McGinn is garbage, but you waste your time reading and posting here to the tune of > 4000 posts....

pbmax
08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Wilde and McGinn would both claim they are never opinionated. Oates generally is a reasonable clear thinker but as a columnist, his stuff is largely rehash.

pbmax
08-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't think you got the thrust of this post LEWCWA.

McGinn is garbage, but you waste your time reading and posting here to the tune of > 4000 posts....

motife
08-08-2008, 05:30 PM
....any number of people in the industry have told me that distortion and deceit basically are how Childress does business.

That was the best quote.

That last chat by McGinn was KILLER. He was on fire.

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 07:32 PM
well, they claim that their opinions are based on objective analysis, they both claim to not be Packer fans at all. So guess it is semantics. Cliffy went a step further, he claimed to not care about the Packers or the NFL.

Wilde and McGinn would both claim they are never opinionated. Oates generally is a reasonable clear thinker but as a columnist, his stuff is largely rehash.

Cleft Crusty
08-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Bob McGinn is an exceptional beat reporter. Take some time folks and do a tour around NFL towns, reading their beat reporters. I can't recall anyone who provides as much content as McGinn. Yes, I'm a bit biased, but I've read, over the years, the papers in San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, Minnesota, Cleveland, and of course Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay. McGinn is tops in his field. I've discovered that most people who don't like him are homers who don't like to see their team or their favorite players criticized.

Zool
08-08-2008, 09:38 PM

That guy is shit without Darryl Hall.

Bretsky
08-08-2008, 11:22 PM

I'm sure this has been talked about in here, but I found it really interesting how he was really pushing TT, MM & MM for the "real" reasons Brett didn't want to play here. MM seemed to get really peaved at the end with his comments that McGinn was asking the same questions, just in different ways.

MM stood his ground, I gotta give him credit.......but I'm kinda waiting for McGinn to come out with a real good article on this.

McGinn is a great writer...whether you like his content or not.

ESPN radio focues on what McGinn was trying to push. He wanted McCarthy to say he was going to open up the "starting" competition up between Favre and Rodgers. McCarthy effectivly dodged saying that.

The local Madison ESPN guys think in that long meeting with MM the coach came in and said AROD was his starter, we'd like you to come in and compete with the rest ot he guys (Brohm/Flynn), and are you on board ot 100% committed to being a Packer....

Interesting theory to say the least; and if it occured then MM was guaranteeing the end to occur.

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 11:28 PM
ESPN radio focues on what McGinn was trying to push. He wanted McCarthy to say he was going to open up the "starting" competition up between Favre and Rodgers. McCarthy effectivly dodged saying that.

The local Madison ESPN guys think in that long meeting with MM the coach came in and said AROD was his starter, we'd like you to come in and compete with the rest ot he guys (Brohm/Flynn), and are you on board ot 100% committed to being a Packer.

this is a theory that Mike Heller was excitedly pushing for a few hours.

Then he read the full transcript of Mike McCarthy's press conference, and he realized that McCarthy made clear that he and Favre had agreed he would compete for the starting position.

Heller backtracked on his evening show, retracted his theory. Heller is very pro-Favre, and he got caught-up in the emotion.