PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

BallHawk
08-08-2008, 11:11 AM
If you don't post in this thread you're a commie.

And how nice of the Russians to invade Georgia on the starting date of the Olympics. Good people they are.

Freak Out
08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/08/AR2008080800009.html?hpid=topnews

Where Once He Was Lost, Now He Is Found

By Thomas Boswell
Friday, August 8, 2008; E01

BEIJING

For seven years, China has dreamed of orchestrating every detail, athletic and political, of its glorious Opening Ceremonies to the Olympics. Now, one lean 1,500-meter runner from the United States, chosen by his teammates in an act of open defiance, may steal the show. Lopez Lomong, one of the Sudanese "Lost Boys" and a member of the anti-genocide group Team Darfur, has been chosen by his 595 U.S. Olympic teammates to carry our flag on Friday. What, we couldn't find a Tibetan monk on the team?

What a coincidence. Just hours before U.S. team captains met to decide on the flag carrier, Chinese officials rescinded the visa of Joey Cheek, a speedskating gold medalist who carried the U.S. flag at the Closing Ceremonies at the 2006 Winter Games and later co-founded Team Darfur. After that slap at Cheek, U.S. athletes here had almost nothing to say on the topic. One even referred to the subject as "the question they warned us about."

Perhaps they didn't answer individually. But the entire U.S. team gave its answer -- as a group and in capital letters -- with Lomong's selection. You jerk Cheek's visa. We put Lomong in your face. And do it proudly.

You have to hand it to the Chinese Communist Party: They certainly know how to muzzle Americans. Cheek, a Princeton grad, might have held a seminar. Four billion people around the world will see Lomong carrying our flag.

Far more than that, untold millions of people, in the next few days, will hear Lomong's life story, in his own words. In a half-hour monologue here on Friday, just 10 hours before he was to carry the flag, Lomong told a tale of grief, endurance, redemption and almost unimaginable hardship that captures in human terms every aspect of the Darfur tragedy. And without Lomong saying a single "controversial" political word, he highlighted China's culpability by cynically supporting the Sudanese regime as partner in the vast oil company PetroChina.

When U.S. Olympic Committee Chairman Peter Ueberroth was asked if the selection of Lomong was an expression by U.S. athletes about their views on China's human rights abuses, Ueberroth said: "The athletes can answer that better themselves. But either way, it's fine. Either way it's good. Lopez earned the right to carry the flag. You [media] folks can go with it. We'll get out of your way."

Let's get going. During a Sunday morning Mass 17 years ago, the 6-year-old Lomong, along with about 100 other children, was taken at gunpoint from his parents, driven away blindfolded in a truck and dumped in a cramped, windowless, one-room prison full of boys. There, they were fed millet full of barely visible sand, which prevented proper digestion, and, within days, gradually led to the death of boy after boy.

"They would go to sleep and never stand up again. 'Tomorrow will be my day,' " Lomong said. "But I had three angels." They were slightly older boys who told him to eat just enough of the death gruel to stay alive, but not enough to kill himself. After three weeks, the older trio discovered a hole in a fence. At midnight, crawling while guards talked, stopping when they fell silent, then crawling until they were outside the compound, the four boys began to run. "That is where my race started," Lomong said.

Despite one boy holding each of his hands as they fled, Lomong nonetheless battered his legs on so many trees and thorns "that's why they still look like such a mess . . . We ran for three days and nights. They would hide me in a cave while two of them went to get water. They would fetch some back for me in a big leaf."

When the four boys fell asleep at night, they made sure to keep their bodies pointed in the same direction that they had been running "so that we did not run back in the wrong direction toward the guards or run in circles," Lomong said. Finally, they were arrested at the Kenyan border -- penniless, unable to speak the local Swahili -- and taken to a refugee camp.

For the next 10 years.

There, thanks to the United Nations, a group of 10 boys were able to eat one meal a day. "You eat late at night so it will carry you until the next night," Lomong said. "In the day, you play soccer or run to keep your mind off the hunger. . . . Still, some Kenyans were not happy with us because we had more food than they did.

"I thought my family was dead, but in the camp I became happy again."

Twice a year, at Christmas and Easter, the 10 boys got one chicken. They mixed it with salt and water to make weak chicken soup and treasured every tiny morsel of actual chicken, their only meat of the year.

In 2001, word arrived that the United States wanted to take 3,500 of these refugee "Lost Boys" to the United States to place with foster families. "But you had to write your life story to see who would go," Lomong said. "I just decided to say, 'This is me.' I put everything on a piece of paper."

After three weeks, "They said, 'Congratulations.' "

The rest was an incomprehensible swirl. An airplane, a family (Robert and Barbara Rogers) in Upstate New York and the sight of unfathomable cars, roads and cities. "I had to learn everything, like how to shower. [Is it] hot or cold? No, put it in the middle."

Straight from the airport, the Rogers took Lomong to McDonald's. Yeah, yeah, the Olympic sponsor. And what did he order? Chicken.

When he had eaten all he could, there was chicken left. "Throw it away," his new parents told him. "There's more at home." But he couldn't. "I remembered when a little piece of chicken was 'Merry Christmas to you.' So I took it home."

Given opportunities that American teenagers take for granted, he embraced his chance with his whole soul. School was a blessing but also breathtaking to a 16-year-old who had always learned his letters by writing in the dirt.

So, you ask, how on earth did Lomong get the idea of being an Olympian? Once in Kenya, he was given five shillings for watering cows. It was his only money but he never spent it, keeping it for the right moment. He heard others talking about the 2000 Olympics in Sydney and how, on the only TV set in the area, five miles away, they might watch it. So, Lomong and friends walked five miles to the black-and-white TV only to find out that, for each event you watched, you had to pay -- five shillings.

That day, Lopez Lomong saw sprinter Michael Johnson run and win, stand on the podium in a U.S. uniform and cry as his anthem was played. "I want to run as fast as that guy," Lomong says he thought. "And I want to wear that same uniform. I was so determined. I knew I could run. Running is what we do all our lives. It is part of our transportation."

On July 6, 2007, Lomong became an U.S. citizen. On July 6, 2008, he made the U.S. Olympic team. "It is what we call, 'Dream makes history,' " Lomong said.

Once he gained citizenship, Lomong returned to his native land and was reunited with his parents who had, long ago, assumed he was dead, held a funeral and buried what remnants, like a child's beads, that he had left behind. Last December, Lomong participated in a burial in reverse as his plot was unearthed and blessed. "They revive me back," he said with a grin. "I am alive again."

In his Sudanese village where war and genocide, disappearing families and starvation have seemed an unending fate, Lomong told everyone never to give up, that someone they believed dead "may be out there somewhere." For his parents, he bought a TV and told them: "You can watch me in the '08 Olympics. I didn't know I would make the team."

Then his sheepish, gap-toothed expressing broke into a wide-eyed smile: "But I did."

Not long ago, Lomong told a half-dozen track teammates, "I would like to be the one carrying the flag." As a member of Team Darfur, he knew it would spread information about the misery in Sudan and China's role as economic facilitator of the ruling regime.

"My [track] teammates spread the word."

When Cheek was denied his visa, the idea of Lomong carrying the flag had already been making the rounds among U.S. athletes. We'll no doubt learn the details of his election eventually. For now, nobody is giving details for fear of politicizing the Olympics even more. And Lomong, wisely, only says he wants to inspire other children, including those with challenges to overcome in China, while being a "good ambassador" for the United States.

"It will be great tonight," Lomong said. "I can't wait."

All across Beijing, pollution hung so low that you could hardly see from one venue to another across the street. Yet there will be a bright light in the Bird's Nest soon.

The Chinese may light their Olympic flame wherever they like. Lopez Lomong will be the night's truest beacon.

"I can't wait," he said, "to be the first one out."

Freak Out
08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
If you don't post in this thread you're a commie.

And how nice of the Russians to invade Georgia on the starting date of the Olympics. Good people they are.

War is an Olympic tradition.

oregonpackfan
08-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Great story, Freak Out.

oregonpackfan
08-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Gosh, when does the synchronized swimming competition begin? Harlan gets excited when they all do the Dog Paddle in unison. :)

BallHawk
08-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Anybody else been watching the opening ceremony? The beginning with the drums and fireworks was very cool, but the history aspect that they tried to be creative with I found a bit dull.

I always forget how long the Parade of Nations is. Took over two hours.

Nice story about the kid from the earthquake. Feel-good.

You gotta feel happy for the people of China over tonight. The media really tries to hype it, but from talking to friends that have recently been to China they really are so pumped for the games.

Joemailman
08-08-2008, 11:01 PM
When does the women's beach volleyball start?

texaspackerbacker
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
China has evolved from hardcore Communist enemy to being more capitalist than Communist, economically, and a moderately decent citizen in the world community.

Thank you Ronald Reagan, both George Bushes, and the American military for making that transformation the only logical course for the formerly Red Chinese leadership to take.

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 11:42 PM
China has evolved from hardcore Communist enemy to being more capitalist than Communist, economically, and a moderately decent citizen in the world community.

Thank you Ronald Reagan, both George Bushes, and the American military for making that transformation the only logical course for the formerly Red Chinese leadership to take.

China has never been particularly expansionistic. They are just fuckers to Taiwan, Tibet, and most of their own people.

i see nothing encouraging in china. i wish they'd go back to being real commies - at least they weren't destroying the earth's atmosphere.

texaspackerbacker
08-08-2008, 11:55 PM
The wacko environmentalist crap is overrated whether it's here or there.

I hope you're being sarcastic about wishing they were still more virulent Commies. Myself, I can do without the nuclear war that might be necessitated by having an aggressive enemy with four times our population.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 12:01 AM
they've combined the worst parts of communism with the worst parts of capitalism .

what is there to cheer about china? that is a nightmare country. horrible. most of their population has not shared in the economic expansion. State control like out of a science fiction novel.

you sniff at the ecological damage they are doing, but that is ignorant. The air quality in our country is going to shit because of all the pollution carried across the upper atmosphere.

texaspackerbacker
08-09-2008, 12:20 AM
they've combined the worst parts of communism with the worst parts of capitalism .

what is there to cheer about china? that is a nightmare country. horrible. most of their population has not shared in the economic expansion. State control like out of a science fiction novel.

you sniff at the ecological damage they are doing, but that is ignorant. The air quality in our country is going to shit because of all the pollution carried across the upper atmosphere.

You're buying into the worst of liberal propaganda--a long with just a dab of conservative propaganda too, Harlan.

I say again, the environmentalist idiocy is overrated there and non-existent here. And from all indications I have seen, the prosperity from the conversion to capitalism--something ethnic Chinese have thrived on for several millenia, has indeed, trickled down very well to all levels of Chinese society. The freedom aspect may not be what it should be yet, but it's a night and day difference from a generation or two ago.

Don't be so negative. The Chinese mprovement both in prosperity and in freedom are good for Americans in a lot of ways.

BallHawk
08-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Somebody just threw a drum into the water in the finals of the women's 200 fly. WTF?

oregonpackfan
08-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Supposedly, the Olympics has a new rule that female gymnasts must be at least 16 years old.

When I saw some of those Chinese girls, they did not look anywhere near 16. Some of them looked like they had not even reached puberty with flat chests and the hips of a 9 year old. :roll:

BallHawk
08-14-2008, 01:03 AM
When I saw some of those Chinese girls, they did not look anywhere near 16. Some of them looked like they had not even reached puberty with flat chests and the hips of a 9 year old. :roll:

Kiera Knightley does gymnastics?

Freak Out
08-14-2008, 01:19 AM

Kiera Knightley does gymnastics?

No shit man....does that tart ever eat?

Freak Out
08-14-2008, 01:20 AM
When the hell does track and field start?

BallHawk
08-14-2008, 01:29 AM
When the hell does track and field start?

Friday.

Kiwon
08-14-2008, 04:01 AM
OUCH!!!! Elbow turned backwards!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08/13/article-1044235-024273AC00000578-551_468x396.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08/13/article-1044235-02426BAB00000578-429_468x327.jpg

Gunakor
08-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Matt LaPorta is struggling in the Olympics for Team USA. He is 1 for 9 in 2 games played thus far. His one hit in the Olympics was a 3 run HR against the Netherlands.

mraynrand
08-14-2008, 08:45 AM
OUCH!!!! Elbow turned backwards!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08/13/article-1044235-024273AC00000578-551_468x396.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08/13/article-1044235-02426BAB00000578-429_468x327.jpg

At first I thought this was a Steven Segal movie.

mraynrand
08-14-2008, 08:56 AM

You're buying into the worst of liberal propaganda--a long with just a dab of conservative propaganda too, Harlan.

I say again, the environmentalist idiocy is overrated there and non-existent here. And from all indications I have seen, the prosperity from the conversion to capitalism--something ethnic Chinese have thrived on for several millenia, has indeed, trickled down very well to all levels of Chinese society. The freedom aspect may not be what it should be yet, but it's a night and day difference from a generation or two ago.

Don't be so negative. The Chinese mprovement both in prosperity and in freedom are good for Americans in a lot of ways.

Tex, you gotta be kidding. The environmental damage being carried out in China is beyond belief. Ya think maybe the COMMUNIST government is trying to suppress the info that gets out. Maybe? It's worse than you think. I work with a bunch of Chinese folks here on visas or green cards. The o back and visit every year or two. In some places, they can't see their hands in front of them because of the soot in the air. But never fear, because extra particulate matter in the air will lead to global dimming, which will counteract 'global warming' - the silver lining to the soot clouds.

oregonpackfan
08-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Yesterday, I listened on ESPN radio about the diet of swimmer Michael Phelps. It was incredible!

The guy eats 12,000 calories a food a day! The average American adult consumes about 3,000 calories a day.

The guy must burn off almost all that food. If you look at his ripped physique, his body fat must be in the 3-5% range.

texaspackerbacker
08-14-2008, 12:23 PM

Tex, you gotta be kidding. The environmental damage being carried out in China is beyond belief. Ya think maybe the COMMUNIST government is trying to suppress the info that gets out. Maybe? It's worse than you think. I work with a bunch of Chinese folks here on visas or green cards. The o back and visit every year or two. In some places, they can't see their hands in front of them because of the soot in the air. But never fear, because extra particulate matter in the air will lead to global dimming, which will counteract 'global warming' - the silver lining to the soot clouds.

The smog in Beijing is mainly the result of a natural phenomenon--the Gobi Desert expanding toward the city, with incredible amounts of dust and sand blowing in.

Aynrand, you seem to have pretty good conservative credentials. Tell me you don't buy into the whole wacko environmentalist pack of lies about manmade global warming. Any warming that can be documented at all is natural climatic cycles. The same leftists were whining about global COOLING until the late 70s, and blaming westernized civilization and capitalism for that. Now, in the last few years, it even seems like the period of warming has leveled off. If that indeed, becomes clear, I wonder what their next party line will be.

GBRulz
08-14-2008, 12:37 PM
I find this very a palling.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/12/olympic.ceremony.lip.synche.ap/index.html

BEIJING, China (AP) -- A 7-year-old Chinese girl was not good-looking enough for the Olympics opening ceremony, so another little girl with a pixie smile lip-synched "Ode to the Motherland," a ceremony official said.
9-year-old Lin Miaoke

9-year-old Lin Miaoke had the 'cute' face that Olympic organizers wanted for the opening ceremony.

A member of China's ruling Politburo asked for the last-minute change to match one girl's face with another's voice, the ceremony's chief music director, Chen Qigang, said in an interview with Beijing Radio.

"The audience will understand that it's in the national interest," Chen said in a video of the interview posted online Sunday night.

The news follows reports that some footage of the fireworks exploding across China's capital during the ceremony was digitally inserted into television coverage, apparently over concerns that not all of the 29 blasts could be captured on camera.

China has been eager to present a flawless Olympics image to the world, shooing migrant workers and so-called petitioners who come to the central government with grievances from the city and shutting down any sign of protest.

The country's quest for perfection apparently includes its children.

Lin Miaoke's performance Friday night, like the ceremony itself, was an immediate hit. "Nine-year-old Lin Miaoke becomes instant star with patriotic song," the China Daily newspaper headline said Tuesday.

But the real voice behind the tiny, pigtailed girl in the red dress who wowed 91,000 spectators at the National Stadium on opening night really belonged to 7-year-old Yang Peiyi. Her looks apparently failed the cuteness test with officials organizing the ceremony, but Chen said her voice was judged the most beautiful.

texaspackerbacker
08-14-2008, 12:58 PM
This is a little bit sad, but really no big deal either. Apparently neither little girl or their families were upset.

Things like this just highlight the fact that China is STILL Communist, even though its economy has gone almost entirely capitalist and there is even a moderate degree of freedom for the Chinese people.

I would say (and I'm probably more conservative and pro-American that just about anybody) that we shouldn't nit-pick about these little throwbacks to Communist crap from the past. A free, happy, prosperous, and proud China, even though still "Communist-light" is a good thing for America in a lot of ways.

mngolf19
08-14-2008, 01:17 PM
This is a little bit sad, but really no big deal either. Apparently neither little girl or their families were upset.

Things like this just highlight the fact that China is STILL Communist, even though its economy has gone almost entirely capitalist and there is even a moderate degree of freedom for the Chinese people.

I would say (and I'm probably more conservative and pro-American that just about anybody) that we shouldn't nit-pick about these little throwbacks to Communist crap from the past. A free, happy, prosperous, and proud China, even though still "Communist-light" is a good thing for America in a lot of ways.

I deal with the Chinese on a daily basis at work Tex. You couldn't be more wrong. Chinese are currently the way the US is heading, haves and have nots. And the have nots have no lives to speak of, totally controlled. "Do this, or we'll kill your family". Child labor. Constant bribes of politicians. Wow, you've taken your conservative company line to a new level this time.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM

The smog in Beijing is mainly the result of a natural phenomenon--the Gobi Desert expanding toward the city, with incredible amounts of dust and sand blowing in.

Aynrand, you seem to have pretty good conservative credentials. Tell me you don't buy into the whole wacko environmentalist pack of lies about manmade global warming. Any warming that can be documented at all is natural climatic cycles. The same leftists were whining about global COOLING until the late 70s, and blaming westernized civilization and capitalism for that. Now, in the last few years, it even seems like the period of warming has leveled off. If that indeed, becomes clear, I wonder what their next party line will be.

What part of "soot" didn't you understand? Soot doesn't come from sand or dust.

But, then again..can we trust the first hand accounts from those who've actually been there..since we can't trust those damn commies.

What part of the athletes afraid of lung damage due to pollution don't you understand.

BTW, i'm sure the brown cloud that hovers over L.A. is simply the cause of the palm desert expanding towards L.A. :roll:

mraynrand
08-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Tex,

Everything doesn't have to run through some sort of conservative party-line filter. The effect of AGW (as much as it may be) could indeed be counteracted by global dimming (a real effect that was quantified by comparing the effect of pollution in the northern and southern Maldives). AGW - the truth - I recommend reading 'The Deniers.' Pollution in China exists, and not just smog and other particulate matter. I've talked with various folks who were part of the massive evacuations along various rivers following the release of toxins. Hundreds of thousands of people were effected. The damage to rivers in China makes the Cuyahoga in the 70s look like the Virgin river in Utah. Look, In general I think AGW is overblown, but conservatives are (and should be) good stewards of the environment. Bush has spent over 1.7 Bil/year during his presidency just on climate research. It's good to know the facts and fight to keep the environment as pollutant free as possible, without destroying our economy to do it. Problem is, the Chinese government doesn't share this POV.

texaspackerbacker
08-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Tyrone, you continue to live up to your penchant for idiocy. What part of sand and dust do you not understand? The vast majority of air pollution in the Beijing area is NOT soot from factory smokestacks or whatever. It is dust and sand from the dessert. Los Angeles smog also is in large part natural. True, it has a lot to do with vehicle exhaust, etc., but the inversion layer--a natural phenomenon that is fairly consistently over the LA basin, keeps the air stagnant and smoggy.

Mngolf, I think I am actually departing from the conservative position--if indeed, there is such a thing--with my softness on China. I think you are hearing a small jaded sample of the Chinese public opinion. The country is rapidly moving toward capitalism and less rapidly moving toward westernization and freedom. It's still Communist, though, so I don't doubt that there is a fairly limited amount of what you described.

Aynrand, not buying into the leftist myth of manmade global warming is NOT some kind of a "conservative party-line". It is simply an acknowledgement of clear objective facts and common sense. Rather, it is looking at things through a severe LEFTIST FILTER to believe the crap they spew. I sincerely hope you do not.

Water pollution as you described is apples and oranges different than air pollution--which in itself, is not even a large correlation with the crap they spew about manmade global warming. Undoubtedly you are correct about water pollution in China. That, however, is a localized situation with no relation to the gw discussion.

Scott Campbell
08-14-2008, 09:39 PM
By the way, Global Warming is no longer the politically correct term. Environmentalists are now calling it Climate Change.

texaspackerbacker
08-14-2008, 09:42 PM
By the way, Global Warming is no longer the politically correct term. Environmentalists are now calling it Climate Change.

Yeah, because it ain't warming anymore--for five or more years now!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Tyrone, you continue to live up to your penchant for idiocy. What part of sand and dust do you not understand? The vast majority of air pollution in the Beijing area is NOT soot from factory smokestacks or whatever. It is dust and sand from the dessert. Los Angeles smog also is in large part natural. True, it has a lot to do with vehicle exhaust, etc., but the inversion layer--a natural phenomenon that is fairly consistently over the LA basin, keeps the air stagnant and smoggy.

Mngolf, I think I am actually departing from the conservative position--if indeed, there is such a thing--with my softness on China. I think you are hearing a small jaded sample of the Chinese public opinion. The country is rapidly moving toward capitalism and less rapidly moving toward westernization and freedom. It's still Communist, though, so I don't doubt that there is a fairly limited amount of what you described.

Aynrand, not buying into the leftist myth of manmade global warming is NOT some kind of a "conservative party-line". It is simply an acknowledgement of clear objective facts and common sense. Rather, it is looking at things through a severe LEFTIST FILTER to believe the crap they spew. I sincerely hope you do not.

Water pollution as you described is apples and oranges different than air pollution--which in itself, is not even a large correlation with the crap they spew about manmade global warming. Undoubtedly you are correct about water pollution in China. That, however, is a localized situation with no relation to the gw discussion.

Listen, dipshit..we have ANECDOTAL evidence from people who have been there. THey said soot. They didn't say sand.

The air pollution in beijeng isn't from sand. In a report issued by the European Satellite Agency, in September last year, Beijing and its environs in northeast China were named as having the world's highest levels of nitrogen dioxide -- a key smog gas originating from power plants, heavy industry and vehicle emissions.

Levels of this gas, which can cause fatal lung damage, were found to have increased by some 50 percent in China's air since 1996, and the trend is rising.

LA: Oh, lord. That is gotta be the funniest thing ever. Amazing how the brown cloud appeared as the population of LA grew. Yeah, it has nothing do with burning fossil fuels...they dont' emit carbon or nitrogen.
:roll:

I suppose you are going to tell me that the air pollution/brown cloud in Phx is because the desert is expanding? :roll:

BallHawk
08-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Why are the Chinese playing Nessun Dorma in the background of the gymnastics, but with no lyrics? It's just some guy yelling. Sounds like Pavarotti, but it can't be.

mraynrand
08-15-2008, 08:27 AM

Is it possible to get my point across? Let's try again. 1) There is pollution in China - air and water. In some places and instances it is very severe 2) AGW - Again, I suggest you read 'The Deniers' - a book written by an anti-nuke, pro environmentalist activist Canadian reporter, who systematically interviewed the world's experts on the basic tenets of AGW and found that across the board, the top experts in the field have essentially disproven and/or severely undermined the case for AGW 3) There is a phenomenon called 'Global Dimming' which results from pollution in the atmosphere reflecting light back into space. The result is that the planet should cool from this effect. The obvious conclusion is that it would counteract any Climate warming trend. How much depends on how much climate warming is taking place due to other factors and how much dimming is taking place. Like AGW, many of the estimates are based on very complex and sophisticated, but necessarily limited, computer models. I don't see the need to look at pollution in China as something the left is spewing. In fact, pollution in China is huge problem for AGW advocates, since they want to hamper the US economy to 'solve' AGW, yet possibly the worst offender is and will remain China, yet their main focus is the U.S. That's totally misguided.

Deputy Nutz
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I just saw an NBC fluff piece on Dana Torres, and holy shit! for 41 years old she has the best body of any of the female swimmer I have ever seen.

I think her and Randy Couture the former UFC heavyheight champion at age 45 should mate and have babies.

Announcer just said "at 41 she still knows how to get off."

Scott Campbell
08-15-2008, 11:14 AM
In fact, pollution in China is huge problem for AGW advocates, since they want to hamper the US economy to 'solve' AGW, yet possibly the worst offender is and will remain China, yet their main focus is the U.S. That's totally misguided.

Amazing how the 80/20 rule can apply to almost anything.

BallHawk
08-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Great race. Cavic really messed up the touch. I think he thought he was closer to the wall than he really was, so the touch took longer than he anticipated. Phelps hit the wall in stride, Cavic hit it in push.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm dating a chinese gymnast

BallHawk
08-15-2008, 09:32 PM

When the cops show up at your house are you going to say "No, I swear she was 18. Just look at her passport!"....?

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2008, 09:41 PM
i figured some smart guy would say, "he's a shot putter." But you are right, BallHawk, she's a lovely young lady, if a little inscrutable. It;s a May-December romance.

Deputy Nutz
08-15-2008, 11:23 PM

When the cops show up at your house are you going to say "No, I swear she was 18. Just look at her passport!"....?

She?

And I thought they only had to be 16?

BallHawk
08-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Age of consent in Wisconsin is 18.

oregonpackfan
08-16-2008, 12:40 AM

You will enjoy all the new experiences she will give you--watching "Hannah Montana," talking about "cute" boys, going to the movie "Momma Mia" 7 or 8 times,... :)

BallHawk
08-16-2008, 12:43 AM

You will enjoy all the new experiences she will give you--watching "Hannah Montana," talking about "cute" boys, going to the movie "Momma Mia" 7 or 8 times,... :)

I heard Momma Mia was banned in China for being too happy.....

Scott Campbell
08-16-2008, 09:05 AM
i figured some smart guy would say, "he's a shot putter." But you are right, BallHawk, she's a lovely young lady, if a little inscrutable. It;s a May-December romance.

I'm guessing that your lesbian buddy has a better shot.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Boy, you sure called this one! She said she wanted to play "ride-um horsey", and we definitely had different ideas about what that meant. You should see the carpet burns on my knees.

I'm through with love.

BallHawk
08-16-2008, 04:32 PM
You know, no lie, I've always pictured Harlan looking EXACTLY like Clare Quilty.

BallHawk
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Good race by the Americans. Held of the Aussies.

Congrats to Phelps, amazing feat.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2008, 10:39 PM
See you in 2012 Michael!

red
08-16-2008, 10:42 PM
my god, bolt is a freak of nature

he tied the wr and show-boated the last 25 yards

Jimx29
08-16-2008, 11:06 PM
I wonder if Phelps will have to swim for the Aussies in 2012 because the American team has moved on http://i34.tinypic.com/10r1g6q.gif

Scott Campbell
08-16-2008, 11:08 PM
I wonder if Phelps will have to swim for the Aussies in 2012 because the American team has moved on http://i34.tinypic.com/10r1g6q.gif

I'm not sure. Let's ask his mommy.

oregonpackfan
08-17-2008, 12:28 AM

Bolt is also 6'5" tall. With his speed and size, he would be a phenomenal WR.

oregonpackfan
08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
The Romanian woman who won the marathon showed a lot of courageous guts. She pulled out way ahead of the rest of the pack about midway through the race. I thought she would "hit the wall" in the last 4 miles but she was as strong as she appeared in mid-race.

Partial
08-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Best performance was the big ass tall guy named Bolt. Holy fucking shit, he is fast. He would have gotten 9.6 flat had he not pulled up and celebrated.

DonHutson
08-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Boy, you sure called this one! She said she wanted to play "ride-um horsey", and we definitely had different ideas about what that meant. You should see the carpet burns on my knees.

I'm through with love.

Did she at least stick the dismount?

Iron Mike
08-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Congrats to Phelps, amazing feat.

The guy has individually eight times as many gold medals as Canada has as a team. :twisted:

I guess Romey is right--Canada is "America's dandruff."

Kiwon
08-17-2008, 07:25 PM
The Competition: Beauties all

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080816/i/r398899943.jpg

The Winner: Jang, Mi-ran of South Korea. That's a World Record 409 pounds she's lifting.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20080816/capt.cps.nhr29.160808170716.photo00.photo.default-512x332.jpg

Cheap shot: These gals could kick the crap out of the Packers O-Line.

MJZiggy
08-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Didn't the dude who tried that twist his elbow backward?

digitaldean
08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
The Competition: Beauties all

That 3rd girl (who actually is American Cheryl Haworth) looks like Jason Spitz's sister... :lol:

The 2nd one from the Ukraine weighs 368 pounds. The one in the second row, 3rd column is only 17 from Greece. Some of these are downright scary looking, but can outlift a lot of men in that weight class.

digitaldean
08-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Didn't the dude who tried that twist his elbow backward?

You mean this one....
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08/13/article-1044235-02426BAB00000578-429_468x327.jpg :shock: :shock:

red
08-17-2008, 08:56 PM
did anyone see the polish women playing the us in team volleyball today?

damn, that whole polish team was do-able

Bretsky
08-17-2008, 09:22 PM

definitely IMO lesbians too :lol:

Freak Out
08-17-2008, 09:54 PM

definitely IMO lesbians too :lol:

They were my Olympic fantasy for the day!

GBRulz
08-17-2008, 11:42 PM
See you in 2012 Michael!

I know that I will certainly be looking forward to it. The guy is AMAZING. Pretty good athlete, too :lol:

http://www.popstarsplus.com/images/MichaelPhelpsPicture.jpg

GBRulz
08-17-2008, 11:44 PM
That 3rd girl (who actually is American Cheryl Haworth) looks like Jason Spitz's sister... :lol:

Oh man, you aren't kiddin' !!! lol

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/lou/sports/m-footbl/03-04roster/HS_spitz_jason.jpg

oregonpackfan
08-18-2008, 12:14 AM
[quote=Scott Campbell]See you in 2012 Michael!

I know that I will certainly be looking forward to it. The guy is AMAZING. Pretty good athlete, too :lol:

http://www.popstarsplus.com/images/MichaelPhelpsPicture.jpg[
/quote]

You wouldn't want to be married to this guy, GBR. He allegedly eats 12,000 calories a day!

Is your salary large enough to pay for his food bill? :)

oregonpackfan
08-18-2008, 12:18 AM
One of the featured articles of the Olympic coverage was the number of Chinese cheerleaders assigned to perform at many of the sporting events.

For some of these events, the Chinese girls were not only beautiful but danced around in skimpy bikinis! It seemed very "progressive" for an allegedly communist country. :)

BallHawk
08-18-2008, 01:34 PM
http://img.4chan.org/b/src/1219078834901.jpg

Partial
08-18-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.google.com/trends?q=Michael+Phelps

It's science.

oregonpackfan
08-20-2008, 12:13 AM
I just watched the 100m Gold Medal winner, Usain Bolt, run a qualifying heat for the 200 meters. He zoomed out ahead of everyone else and just jogged the last 30 meters to qualify.

He may be the fastest, smoothest, pure sprinter I have ever seen.

If that guy could play football, he would be an incredible WR.

oregonpackfan
08-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Like lightning, Bolt sets record in Olympic 200m
Olympics Headlines

* Bolt sets 200 mark, gets sprint double
* US pulls away from Aussies, makes semis
* US softball survives scare, beats Japan
* After bad 1,500, Lagat makes 5,000 final
* Liukin may compete at worlds in London
* US men reach beach volleyball final
* Heptathlete Blonska suspected of doping
* Gasol leads Spain into hoops semis
* No more sanctions for boxer who bit foe
* Extra-innings win gives US No. 3 seed

By EDDIE PELLS,
AP National Writer

Updated August 20, 2008
(AP Photo/Kevin Frayer)

BEIJING (AP) Usain Bolt. Insane speed.

The Jamaican wunderkind hurtled to his second world record and his second Olympic gold medal, finishing the 200-meter race Wednesday night in 19.30 seconds to break Michael Johnson's 12-year-old mark.

Bolt became the first man to break the world record in both the 100 and 200 at the same Olympics. Not since Carl Lewis in 1984 has any man doubled in the Olympic 100 and 200.

He had this one won about halfway through, but unlike his record-setting performance in the 100 four nights before, there was no hot-dogging, no celebrating until he crossed the line. He went hard all the way, looking at the clock down the stretch, leaning at the line, knowing that Johnson's venerable mark was within reach.

When he saw the number come up - a number that never has before - he raised his arms, then fell flat to his back, arms and legs outstreched, and basked in the roar of the Bird's Nest crowd.

It is no understatement to call him not just "The World's Fastest Man," but maybe the greatest sprinter of all time.

Charles Woodson
08-20-2008, 11:28 AM

When did shitting become a sport? :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2008, 02:39 AM
has anybody tried to watch 6-person volleyball? after watching beach volleyball, regular vb is mechanical and boring. Its just a power game, there is no empty space on the court, so every point is scored by a huge spike that misses the blocker. snore.

I'm really getting into beach VB, what a great spectator sport. There is so much open space that it makes the game very creative, there are all kinds of tricky ways to score points. And on defense, the players have to be incredibly quick and acrobatic to defend all that space. Misty May is as amazing of an athlete as I've seen in any sport.

Freak Out
08-22-2008, 05:10 PM
These two women were sentenced to one year apiece in a labor camp today.

Protest Application Brings Labor-Camp Threat, Woman Says

By Ariana Eunjung Cha
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, August 21, 2008

BEIJING, Aug. 20 -- Two elderly women could face a year of "reeducation through labor" because they applied for permits to demonstrate during the Olympics, according to one of the would-be protesters.

Wu Dianyuan, 79, and Wang Xiuying, 77, went to Chinese police five times between Aug. 5 and 18 to seek approval to protest against officials who evicted them from their homes in 2001.

The Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau did not approve or deny their applications during the first three visits. On the fourth visit, the women were told that they had been ordered to serve time for "disturbing the public order" until July 29, 2009.

According to a written order they received, they would not have to immediately go to a reeducation labor camp, but their movements would be restricted. If they violated various provisions or regulations, however, they could be sent to a labor camp.

Wu and Wang tried to return a fifth time to inquire again about their protest application, but they were told that their right to apply had been stripped.

"When I first heard about the possibility of being allowed to protest, I was very happy. My issue could be resolved. But it turned out all to be cheating. . . . I feel stuck in my heart," Wu said in a telephone interview.

Wu's son, Li Xuehui, 48, said his mother and her friend are outraged.

Usually labor reeducation is reserved for "prostitutes and thieves," Li said. "What the two old ladies did is nowhere near that." He pointed out that Wang is blind in one eye and can barely see out of the other.

"We are a communist society, with the people the leaders and owners, but basic citizens' rights cannot even be realized today. How sad it is. The way things are is the opposite of the 'people-oriented' ideology of the country when it was founded," Li said.

In response to international pressure, China said it would allow protests in three parks during the Olympic Games Aug. 8-24. Earlier this week, the official New China News Agency reported that police had received 77 applications, but none has been approved.

"Punishing Wu and Wang after they applied for protest permits and actively petitioned the government demonstrates that the official statements touting the new Olympics 'protest zones,' as well as the permit application process, were no more than a show," the executive director of Human Rights in China, Sharon Hom, said in a statement.

Wang Wei, executive vice president of the Beijing Olympic organizing committee, cast the empty protest zones in a positive light, telling reporters Wednesday that the disputes brought by would-be protesters had been resolved.

The International Olympic Committee, which has been criticized for not taking a harder line against China for failing to fulfill promises it made related to human rights, has referred questions about the protest zones to the Beijing government.

IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies recently said, however, that "to date, what had been announced publicly doesn't appear in reality to be happening, and a number of questions are being asked.

"The IOC is keen to see those questions answered by the relevant authorities," she added.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
has anybody tried to watch 6-person volleyball? after watching beach volleyball, regular vb is mechanical and boring. Its just a power game, there is no empty space on the court, so every point is scored by a huge spike that misses the blocker. snore.

I'm really getting into beach VB, what a great spectator sport. There is so much open space that it makes the game very creative, there are all kinds of tricky ways to score points. And on defense, the players have to be incredibly quick and acrobatic to defend all that space. Misty May is as amazing of an athlete as I've seen in any sport.

I have to admit, I loved it, especially when the Women's team won and thanked Bush for being inspiring and for all that he does. That was pretty cool. Americans actually supporting their president, particularly on the foreign soil of a scummy communist country.

Joemailman
08-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Bolt is also 6'5" tall. With his speed and size, he would be a phenomenal WR.

Apparently he cannot be signed a sa free agent. Have to wait until the draft.http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/22/bolt-cant-be-signed-as-a-free-agent/

oregonpackfan
08-22-2008, 10:41 PM
While a few sprinters have failed trying to make it as a WR in the NFL, Bob Hayes had success as a WR with the Cowboys. Any of you old-timers remember seeing him play?

Bossman641
08-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Anyone watch the basketball game?

I DVR'ed it and then watched it this morning. Not one of the better games for the Americans. Sloppy defense, but Kobe bailed them out down the stretch.

Rudy Fernandez looks like a player. He had a sick dunk on Howard.

oregonpackfan
08-24-2008, 01:26 PM
I stayed up late to watch it as well. It was very entertaining in terms of scoring excitement.

The US team seemed more intent on offense than defense. It almost seemed like an NBA all-star game with minimal defensive effort.

Kobe Bryant was incredible in the second half with both his individual as well as team play. Dwayne Wade had an incredible performance coming off the bench.

As you mentioned, Rudy Fernandez was all over the court for Spain. I will have the pleasure of watching him play for the Portland Trailblazers.

Gasol also played well for the Spanish. He had quite a number of alley oop dunks with good feeds from his guards.

One of Spain's guards, Navarro, was remarkable with his running layins down the middle of the paint. He must have completed half a dozen of those difficult shots.

I think the game would not have been as close as it was if the US had slowed it down on the offensive side. Spain was only down by 4 points with 2 minutes to go in the game.

mraynrand
08-24-2008, 01:52 PM

When did shitting become a sport? :lol:

OMG, this is funny. I missed it. Do you think they train by eating lots of cheese. Do they get style points for strained faces. Perhaps Harlan could make the team, as he seems to excel in generating chunky, insoluble turds.

Freak Out
08-25-2008, 04:14 PM
My wife and I turned on the closing ceremonies and were not very entertained by the Tron like drummers and other bikers and dancers prancing around.....lots of flash but.....I have to say I was surprised when Jimmy Page came out on the bus.....never thought I would see Led Zep influences. :lol:

oregonpackfan
08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
My wife and I turned on the closing ceremonies and were not very entertained by the Tron like drummers and other bikers and dancers prancing around.....lots of flash but.....I have to say I was surprised when Jimmy Page came out on the bus.....never thought I would see Led Zep influences. :lol:

Chairman Mao must be rolling in his grave to have Led Zellelin perform in a "communist" country! :)

mraynrand
08-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Kobe, for helping return the Gold to the USA. Thanks, LeBron for being a total team player. Thanks to the entire team and Thanks Coach K, for putting it all together.

Kobe: "Our country, we believe, is the greatest county in the world and it's given us so many great opportunities and it's just this sense of pride that you have, that you say, you know what, our country is the best."

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/reu/d/2008%5C237%5Cd8696208-6ae6-473e-aed4-55aee40a432a@news.ap.org.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2008, 01:12 PM

Chairman Mao must be rolling in his grave to have Led Zellelin perform in a "communist" country! :)

did Jimmy Page really take part in that display of control orchestrted by a totalitarian dictatorship?

Gunakor
08-26-2008, 02:45 PM

I DVR'ed it and then watched it this morning. Not one of the better games for the Americans. Sloppy defense, but Kobe bailed them out down the stretch.

It was not one of thier better games, but damn they were fun to watch in the olympics. Most of the games were high intensity defense and phenomenal ball movement for the USA. Great team effort. Congratulations to the Redeem Team for bringing olympic gold back to the United States where it rightfully belongs.

Too bad Coach K is done as the Senior National Team coach. Who do you think they'll bring in to get the next group ready for London in 2012?

oregonpackfan
08-26-2008, 10:04 PM

It was not one of thier better games, but damn they were fun to watch in the olympics. Most of the games were high intensity defense and phenomenal ball movement for the USA. Great team effort. Congratulations to the Redeem Team for bringing olympic gold back to the United States where it rightfully belongs.

Too bad Coach K is done as the Senior National Team coach. Who do you think they'll bring in to get the next group ready for London in 2012?

One thing I truly admired about the "Redeem" team is that they were far more active ambassadors for America than the "Dream" team ever was. Members of the "Dream" team tended to just hang out together in the hotel.

The "Redeem" team members, however, showed up at many athletic events cheering on their fellow American athletes. In addition, they spent more time mingling with the host country citizens(in this case, the Chinese). Labron James and Kobe Bryant, in particular, were often seen at Olympics events and talking to average citizenss on the streets.