PDA

View Full Version : Will you stand by your man regardless of the season results?

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I support TT & MM's decision because it was a reasonable one, and I admire them for taking the heat and doing what they think is right.

Regardless of how things turn out, I won't have a problem with their choice. I really don't think the outcome is predictable.

I think both sides of this debate are waiting/hoping to say "I told you so" depending on the relative performance of Favre & Rodgers.

And why is this topic worthy of a new thread? I don't know. I just don't know.

swede
08-08-2008, 01:18 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/2273921763_f6b565d23c.jpg

Call the men with torches!

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 01:22 PM
ok, ok, I'll leave peacefully. call off the goons.

sheepshead
08-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Hell no, we dont win games, we're gonna be pissed.

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 01:24 PM

what if the jets and packers both finish 9-7 or 10-6?

swede
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I agree, dawg, that this painful subject will be talked about, blogged about and beaten to death with all kinds of facts used to bolster entrenched positions regarding this situation. Favre's preretirement, unretirement and trade give ARod one shot to pop the balloon and that's all he'll get.

What's weird is the inability of the local media and fans to find a normal focus of attention in Green Bay.

I wondered aloud during the first season with MM when the focus was going to move off of TT and onto the head coach where it more typically is.

Last year MM started to come out from underneath TT's shadow, but the whole Favre watch, retirement, and clusterflush dominated the news and brough TT back up front.

I agree with the poster here--whoever it was-- that first suggested that MM and not TT was the hardass that told Brett not to come back without complete committment to his team.

We'll be a healthier franchise when MM gets typed in these Packer blogs 80% vs. TT's 20%.

BallHawk
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Yup. Ted and Co. made a damn risky move, but it was the right one based on the factors involved.

The success of the season will depend heavily on A-Rod.....Ted and Co. can't control his play so if he gets hurt or loses some games I don't see the point in blaming the brass full out. They did make the decision to move forward with him and if in 2 or 3 seasons from now we still haven't returned to the NFC Championship game than my patience would be tried.

sheepshead
08-08-2008, 01:43 PM

As always we"ll break it down Ad nauseum in here and come up with the correct course of action.

:jig:

sheepshead
08-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Plus wayne larrivee thinks arod is the real deal.

:whist:

wpony
08-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I just hope the fans give Arod a chance its not his fault Brett is gone

sharpe1027
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
No. If we have a rough year, I will be pissed as hell at Favre for forcing his way out.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 02:58 PM
ARod's interview today was good. If you get a chance, watch it. He said he was "spanking" Tausch in cribbage when he found out Brett was traded.
:D

cpk1994
08-08-2008, 03:15 PM
ARod's interview today was good. If you get a chance, watch it. He said he was "spanking" Tausch in cribbage when he found out Brett was traded.
:DCribbage huh? I like this guy even more!

BallHawk
08-08-2008, 03:28 PM

I enjoyed the "That's my guy" story.

AV David
08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I will stand by my convictions. Thus all year I will stand by TT, MM and A Rod. If need be, I will stand with them next year as well. The reason: I am foremost a Packer fan.

GoPackGo
08-08-2008, 03:52 PM

post a link please

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
packers.com

GoPackGo
08-08-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/recent/#

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/recent/#

You can go there. It's also on the home page.

Cheesehead Craig
08-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I've been a Packer fan through the Lynn Dickey, Randy Wright, Don Majikowski and Brett Favre years. I will be a Packer fan for the A Rod years as well and past when he is gone. Been through bad management/coaches and good management/coaches.

I am a Packer fan. Always have been, always will be. That's whose side I'll stand by.

pbmax
08-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Yes. Even though it might take seven QBs to find a suitable replacement. Right time, right decision.

LL2
08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Maybe we can get Mad to put a stat tracker for Favre and Rodgers on the homepage to compare their stats all season long game after game?

LEWCWA
08-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I support TT & MM's decision because it was a reasonable one, and I admire them for taking the heat and doing what they think is right.

Regardless of how things turn out, I won't have a problem with their choice. I really don't think the outcome is predictable.

I think both sides of this debate are waiting/hoping to say "I told you so" depending on the relative performance of Favre & Rodgers.

And why is this topic worthy of a new thread? I don't know. I just don't know.

I don't think Favre's or the Jets performance has anything to do with being able to say I told you so. Favre could struggle with the Jets, but that doesn't mean he would have with the Packers. He has some hurdles to get over in NY. Rodgers has to perform, period! He doesn't have to light it up, but he does have to win...cause Favre proved he could win with this bunch!

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't think Favre's or the Jets performance has anything to do with being able to say I told you so. Favre could struggle with the Jets, but that doesn't mean he would have with the Packers. He has some hurdles to get over in NY. Rodgers has to perform, period! He doesn't have to light it up, but he does have to win...cause Favre proved he could win with this bunch!

There will be I Told You So's flying all around. For instance, LEWCWA says Favre sucking with the Jets wouldn't prove a thing. Well, there's no telling if uncommitted Favre would have duplicated last year--even if he was with Green Bay. It would have been hard. That was one of the best years of his career.

You can see how this whole thing will go. The same people will have the same opinion at the end of the year, and few will budge from the hard-line stance they've taken.

texaspackerbacker
08-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I'll give you a definite probably on standing by Thompson and McCarthy.

If the season happened to go in the toilet due to injuries--like the 4-12 a few years ago, they certainly couldn't be blamed.

I think it would take a string of bad seasons to turn me against them. The logic in supporting that dynamic duo is that they have built such a strong overall team. If it somehow becomes apparent that last season was nothing but luck and Favre, rather than great talent all around, then that logic goes away. I don't really think that will happen, though.

What if Favre excels and Rodgers flops? Thompson and McCarthy would indeed, look bad, but I'd be a hypocrite to hate on them for that when I, too, expected it the other way around. I still expect Rodgers to excel and Favre to flop--that's the third time I've predicted that now.

SudsMcBucky
08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Well, I won't stand by any MAN, regardless, but I WILL stand by the Green Bay Packers no matter WHAT happens.

sheepshead
08-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Maybe we can get Mad to put a stat tracker for Favre and Rodgers on the homepage to compare their stats all season long game after game?

not bad,,,

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 07:21 PM
I don't think Favre's or the Jets performance has anything to do with being able to say I told you so. Favre could struggle with the Jets, but that doesn't mean he would have with the Packers.

your comment comes dangerously close to some curious logic I heard from a radio show caller today. He said that if Favre struggles with the Jets, he's going to hold TT accountable for putting Brett into a bad position. :?:

The Brett Favre Cult is quite something. I'm going to counter with my own spin: if Aaron Rodgers plays badly, I'm blaming FAvre for putting undo pressure on Rodgers by creating this whole drama. 8-)

What do you think, does that fly? :lol:

motife
08-08-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBirf4BWew

719,547 plays

http://blog.empas.com/folkliner/20667113_264x284.jpg

http://www.musicgirl.net/pics/tammy_wynette_picture.jpg

BZnDallas
08-08-2008, 08:00 PM
I've been a Packer fan through the Lynn Dickey, Randy Wright, Don Majikowski and Brett Favre years. I will be a Packer fan for the A Rod years as well and past when he is gone. Been through bad management/coaches and good management/coaches.

I am a Packer fan. Always have been, always will be. That's whose side I'll stand by.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

i'm not that old ;)

but i've been here through the Majic and Favre years and i feel the same way!!!

GBRulz
08-08-2008, 09:08 PM
of course I'll stand by Aaron. People also need to remember that we were calling for Favre's head for the first couple of years, too. I'm one of Favre's biggest fans, but it's only right to give Aaron a fair chance, too.

and if Aaron by chance doesn't pan out for the Packers, I won't fault him, I'll fault the guy who wasted a 1st round pick to get him here.

wpony
08-08-2008, 09:20 PM
why would we really want that i hope he does Great with the the Jets but i will go to the jets site to find out ,or read the paper this is a Packers site not a jets site

Badgerinmaine
08-08-2008, 10:03 PM

Another case where I must say "Somebody say amen!"

LEWCWA
08-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't think Favre's or the Jets performance has anything to do with being able to say I told you so. Favre could struggle with the Jets, but that doesn't mean he would have with the Packers.

your comment comes dangerously close to some curious logic I heard from a radio show caller today. He said that if Favre struggles with the Jets, he's going to hold TT accountable for putting Brett into a bad position. :?:

The Brett Favre Cult is quite something. I'm going to counter with my own spin: if Aaron Rodgers plays badly, I'm blaming FAvre for putting undo pressure on Rodgers by creating this whole drama. 8-)

I don't hold anyone accountable for Favre's or Rodger's, but themselves. I just think Favre's success or failure in NY mean nothing. It is up to Rodgers to show he can win with this team. Doesn't matter what Favre does in NY. I also think if Favre does poor or avg. that has no bearing on what he would have done for the Pack. It is my opinion he should be with the Pack leading this team, but he isn't.

LEWCWA
08-08-2008, 10:24 PM
The only way I will ever agree with this decision is if Arod is GB's QB for at least 6 years and leads the team to the playoffs and superbowl. If he is around for a couple of years and washes out, we robbed ourselves of probably 2 years of the best player most of us will see!

MJZiggy
08-08-2008, 10:30 PM
What if he leads us to the playoffs for 10 years and no SuperBowl?

Lurker64
08-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I'll stand by the Packers no matter what, and I'll support Aaron Rodgers until the team decides it's time to move on to another QB and then I'll support the next guy.

I'm going to counter with my own spin: if Aaron Rodgers plays badly, I'm blaming FAvre for putting undo pressure on Rodgers by creating this whole drama.

That was my plan. Every single thing that goes wrong for the Packers this year will be Favre's fault for creating this sort of distraction. Justin Harrell never would have gotten hurt this offseason if it wasn't for Favre.

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2008, 10:52 PM

One huge difference. We expect the Packers to be better than 10-6, if not, it would be a letdown. :cry: The Jets hope to be 10-6, that would be a big win for them. :lol: Regardless of stats, wins are all that matter. If it's a wash, we all lose out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't hold anyone accountable for Favre's or Rodger's, but themselves. I just think Favre's success or failure in NY mean nothing.

I agree with you on this. But of course Favre's performance is going to mean everything to the angry mob.

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 11:07 PM
The only way I will ever agree with this decision is if Arod is GB's QB for at least 6 years and leads the team to the playoffs and superbowl. If he is around for a couple of years and washes out, we robbed ourselves of probably 2 years of the best player most of us will see!

you set the bar awfully high for the rod man.

We lost 2 years of FAvre in his final, declining years, is the most likely outcome. I honestly doubt Favre will be as good this year as he was last. But we'll see.

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2008, 11:30 PM

:worship:

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2008, 12:23 AM
We expect the Packers to be better than 10-6, if not, it would be a letdown.

It wouldn't be for me--even with Brett Favre. 10-6 gets you in the playoffs. Just like the 2005 team wasn't 4-12 bad, the 2007 team wasn't 13-3 good. We got some breaks, few injuries, and a soft schedule. This team wasn't nearly as good as the 1996 team, but finished with the same record.

The Gunshooter
08-09-2008, 08:26 AM

That's what I have been thinking. Favre $hitting the bed again.

Fritz
08-09-2008, 08:40 AM
I've been on the TT train since its inception and have defended him lustily against all comers. I was skeptical of MM's hiring, being a fan of the Master of Bates, but I have seen that TT was correct.

TT has made mistakes. He handled the guard situation poorly, and Justin Harrell is looking more and more like the second coming of Jamaal Reynolds. I think he also lost his cool a little bit for about a month's period of time in the Favre circus. He said more than he usually does, and although I see he was trying to get the Packers' side out, it didn't work. However, all humans in all professions make mistakes, and on the whole TT has done an excellent, excellent job.

I think, given the difficulty of the Favre situation and the fact that Tampa was basically offering nothing from what I gather, that TT did well to get what - barring injury - will likely be a third round pick.

I still maintain that if TT and MM had let Favre come back at the last minute after having said the team had "moved on," it would have spelled the beginning of the end of the TT regime. The team - the organization - would have lost all credibility with the players.

I was very, very pleased at MM's presser last week in which he respectfully but firmly laid down the law about Favre not being committed to coming back by letting go of the hurt feelings. So I think MM has gained points, probably in the locker room, and I again feel that this can be a playoff year, and - depending on injuries - a year that finds the Pack still in the playoffs after round one.

So I stand by them both, TT and MM. I won't say what record they "need" to have, because that's too subjective. But if the team plays hard all season long and plays disciplined, I'll probably be good with it all.

Bretsky
08-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Good question; to me sports is about championships; for TT, MM, and AROD to be on a pedastal in my view they have to win a title.

Bretsky
08-09-2008, 08:47 AM

We lost 2 years of FAvre in his final, declining years, is the most likely outcome. I honestly doubt Favre will be as good this year as he was last. But we'll see.

he won't be as good this year. It's not logical to think he can step in to an inferior offense with less weapons and be as good.

But he might have been just as good in Green Bay.

I'm kind of sick of the topics; I"m sure everybody is. But it's not going away; people's views are divided enough in here and enough mud has been sling by both sides that these comparisons will probably occur the whole season.

Bretsky
08-09-2008, 08:51 AM
I've been on the TT train since its inception and have defended him lustily against all comers. I was skeptical of MM's hiring, being a fan of the Master of Bates, but I have seen that TT was correct.

TT has made mistakes. He handled the guard situation poorly, and Justin Harrell is looking more and more like the second coming of Jamaal Reynolds. I think he also lost his cool a little bit for about a month's period of time in the Favre circus. He said more than he usually does, and although I see he was trying to get the Packers' side out, it didn't work. However, all humans in all professions make mistakes, and on the whole TT has done an excellent, excellent job.

I think, given the difficulty of the Favre situation and the fact that Tampa was basically offering nothing from what I gather, that TT did well to get what - barring injury - will likely be a third round pick.

I still maintain that if TT and MM had let Favre come back at the last minute after having said the team had "moved on," it would have spelled the beginning of the end of the TT regime. The team - the organization - would have lost all credibility with the players.

I was very, very pleased at MM's presser last week in which he respectfully but firmly laid down the law about Favre not being committed to coming back by letting go of the hurt feelings. So I think MM has gained points, probably in the locker room, and I again feel that this can be a playoff year, and - depending on injuries - a year that finds the Pack still in the playoffs after round one.

So I stand by them both, TT and MM. I won't say what record they "need" to have, because that's too subjective. But if the team plays hard all season long and plays disciplined, I'll probably be good with it all.

TT's great behind the scenes and has did a solid job building this team throught he draft to the point that we should not be good with "just playing hard" IMO. I do really like MM.

All this TB was not in the game is bunk

pbmax
08-09-2008, 09:44 AM
How anyone can say we lost two years of Favre is beyond me. He might not even know if he plays another year, yet somehow we consult a magic eight ball and divine the answer. And this does not even address his age.

We won't have an answer about Rodgers for at least two years, his first year starting plus one year to adjust and grow. I trust the Packer Org's decision that Favre could not have led them to another championship. That was my impression as well.

At 38, it is becoming increasingly likely that Favre declines or gets injured. I don't think the playoff slump is a factor of small sample size or weak teams. This was the only logical move, if you believe he was in decline.

It used to be accepted wisdom in the days of actual football dynasties that it was better to replace a player one year too early than too late. This is even more true in the days of salary cap football.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
he won't be as good this year. It's not logical to think he can step in to an inferior offense with less weapons and be as good.

All I've been reading about is how revamped the JEts offense is. Maybe a better offensive line than the Packers. Good wide receivers & TE. Thomas Jones. In fact, the offensive personnel is given as reason why Favre was sold on the Jets. (This could be all east coast media hype, I don't know.)

It seems like a lot of people are setting the bar this way: If Favre has a good season, its proof that TT really screwed up. If Favre bombs, well, that doesn't mean anything, except maybe that TT screwed Favre.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 02:35 PM
How anyone can say we lost two years of Favre is beyond me. He might not even know if he plays another year, yet somehow we consult a magic eight ball and divine the answer. And this does not even address his age.

ya, the situation is SO unpredictable, both with Rodgers & Favre.

A lot of people think there are right and wrong answers to these decisions, but its really a matter of probabilities, and hoping you weighed the factors correctly. More intuition than science.

pbmax
08-09-2008, 02:36 PM
There are the usual "Ifs" that go with a team that heavily invested in FA Huck.

Faneca is probably a lock to be good if the system and his strengths aren't ill fitted. But Damien Woody has been declining. He may be better than the option a year ago at RT for the Jets, but its not a lock he lasts the season. He also used to be athletic for a center, not sure if the same goes for tackle.

You can say the same for Thomas Jones, the ex-Bear RB, who was more productive than Benson but also nicked up quite a bit.

All I've been reading about is how revamped the JEts offense is. Maybe a better offensive line than the Packers. Good wide receivers & TE. Thomas Jones. In fact, the offensive personnel is given as reason why Favre was sold on the Jets. (This could be all east coast media hype, I don't know.)

It seems like a lot of people are setting the bar this way: If Favre has a good season, its proof that TT really screwed up. If Favre bombs, well, that doesn't mean anything, except maybe that TT screwed Favre.

Fritz
08-09-2008, 02:43 PM

TT's great behind the scenes and has did a solid job building this team throught he draft to the point that we should not be good with "just playing hard" IMO. I do really like MM.

All this TB was not in the game is bunk

About the boldfaced points, Bretsky:

I used the phrase "playing hard" because you just don't know what's going to happen, injury-wise. If they lose four or five of their best players to injury and a host of backups early on, you can hardly expect a big playoff run. Yet, if they continue to play hard, I'll be okay. I felt this way with Shermy's 4-12 team. They were decimated by injury but they kept playing hard, and based on that, at the time I thought Shermy deserved another year as the head coach.

As for the Tampa Bay involvement, it's just that I've read in a couple of places that they were only willing to give up a lame-o pick based on Favre playing two years. Maybe that's not true. But it's what I'd read.

LEWCWA
08-09-2008, 09:27 PM

We will never know , now.

LEWCWA
08-09-2008, 09:30 PM

If Rodgers is our starting QB for 10 years, they made the right decision, as hard as that is for me to say. I don't thinke there is much chance of that though.(and it doesn't have to be 10 years exactly for all you nitpickers around here)

LEWCWA
08-09-2008, 09:34 PM
We expect the Packers to be better than 10-6, if not, it would be a letdown.

It wouldn't be for me--even with Brett Favre. 10-6 gets you in the playoffs. Just like the 2005 team wasn't 4-12 bad, the 2007 team wasn't 13-3 good. We got some breaks, few injuries, and a soft schedule. This team wasn't nearly as good as the 1996 team, but finished with the same record.

I agree, thats why I just say Rodgers has to win with this team as Favre did. w/l records are fickle things year to year, but Favre proved he could win with this sqaud. Arod's turn...

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 09:38 PM

If Rodgers is our starting QB for 10 years, they made the right decision, as hard as that is for me to say. I don't thinke there is much chance of that though.(and it doesn't have to be 10 years exactly for all you nitpickers around here)

Lewcwa, you really aren't making sense. You are putting way too high of a value on Favre's services, he is near the end of his career. TT is playing the probabilities as he evaluates all the factors. Maybe TT will be wrong. But if Rodger merely matches Favre for one year, it was a great move, because you've nurtured Rodgers along on a potential upside.

GrnBay007
08-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Lewcwa, you really aren't making sense. You are putting way too high of a value on Favre's services, he is near the end of his career. Who are you to say what the value is on Favre's services near the end of his career? Last year was most certainly near the end of his career and he looked pretty damned good.

VegasPackFan
08-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm sure that there would be posters on here screaming bloody hell if we "dropped" to 11-5. Nothing is going to change people's opinions, because from what I have seen, not many people around here are objective. They interpret everything through their lense of perception and nothing changes for them.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Lewcwa, you really aren't making sense. You are putting way too high of a value on Favre's services, he is near the end of his career. Who are you to say what the value is on Favre's services near the end of his career? Last year was most certainly near the end of his career and he looked pretty damned good.

Who are YOU to speculate on Favre's value? :lol:

Favre showed signs of losing intensity in big games last season. Now he is another year older.

Nobody has a hotline to the truth, its an educated guessing game. I trust TT's education. If Rodgers can be a good player this season, it is a smart move, even if Favre is also good for the Jets.