PDA

View Full Version : Good luck, Brett

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 01:31 PM
No matter whether you appreciate Brett for bringing the Lombardi Trophy back to Green Bay and putting the team in the playoff mix most years or whether you felt he could no longer get the job done in the playoffs and grew tired of his diva act (maybe both), we'll never see a player in Green Bay who was more fun to watch.

Whether it was the scramble and heave to Sharpe on the other side of the field in the 1993 playoffs. Whether it was dashing for a playoff-clinching TD in the closing seconds of the last game at County Stadium in 1994. Whether it was the pass to Andre Rison and his joy running off the field in the Super Bowl. Whether it was hitting Corey Bradford on the game winner on 4th down against the Vikes in 1999 (when it looked like Minnesota would be a juggernaut). Whether is was the backfoot throw to Jennings on Monday Night last year. Whether it was the all arm throw for the game winner against the Chiefs the next week. Whatever it was, there will never be somebody as fun to watch. Nothing against ARod or any other guy that follows in your footsteps, but watching you was more than just watching you throw TDs or ints or routine passes, there was a coolness factor that won't be replicated by anyone any time soon.

So long, Brett. It's been a pleasure to watch you for the last 16 years.

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't think of him as leaving. He's just going to be on a different channel for a couple of years. Then he'll retire as a Packer, be a WI celebrity, maybe open a car dealership with Bart Starr.

Freak Out
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
No matter whether you appreciate Brett for bringing the Lombardi Trophy back to Green Bay and putting the team in the playoff mix most years or whether you felt he could no longer get the job done in the playoffs and grew tired of his diva act (maybe both), we'll never see a player in Green Bay who was more fun to watch.

Whether it was the scramble and heave to Sharpe on the other side of the field in the 1993 playoffs. Whether it was dashing for a playoff-clinching TD in the closing seconds of the last game at County Stadium in 1994. Whether it was the pass to Andre Rison and his joy running off the field in the Super Bowl. Whether it was hitting Corey Bradford on the game winner on 4th down against the Vikes in 1999 (when it looked like Minnesota would be a juggernaut). Whether is was the backfoot throw to Jennings on Monday Night last year. Whether it was the all arm throw for the game winner against the Chiefs the next week. Whatever it was, there will never be somebody as fun to watch. Nothing against ARod or any other guy that follows in your footsteps, but watching you was more than just watching you throw TDs or ints or routine passes, there was a coolness factor that won't be replicated by anyone any time soon.

:five:

Could not agree more.

oregonpackfan
08-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Here, here! Well written, Harvey.

Joemailman
08-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't worry about how the Packers will do without Favre, but Favre was cool. As much as any athlete, he never seemed to forget that it was just a game.

Chevelle2
08-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't think of him as leaving. He's just going to be on a different channel for a couple of years. Then he'll retire as a Packer, be a WI celebrity, maybe open a car dealership with Bart Starr.

I honestly feel the same way.

Good post Harvey!

Badgerinmaine
08-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Harvey, that was an excellent post on a topic that is not easy to be so cool-headed about. Nice work, my man.

SnakeLH2006
08-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Damn good post my man!

Bretsky
08-08-2008, 11:40 PM

Great Post HW

In the end, sports is about championships....being the dam best.

Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, and Brett Favre and that team allowed me to witness the only professional championship in my life up to this point. All three are placed on a very elite pedastal in my mind.

I've been a Packer fan for over thirty years and that's the only one I saw.

I hope it doesn't take another thirty and I hope I someday can place a few new people from Green Bay organization on the same pedastal with them.

pbmax
08-09-2008, 02:43 PM
I hope he has a great season, seriously. Playoffs and all.

And I also hope AROG throws for one more TD and one less pick!

Good luck Brett, you don't owe us anymore. Except to go to the hall as a Packer.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I think Favre playing in NY just increases the excitement and drama of the football season.

Compare this outcome to Favre just retiring.

I think once people get past the horror of seeing Favre in green & white, they will appreciate the entertainment. And if it wasn't already clear, Favre emphasized in his very first Jets press conference that he will always be a Packer. He is no more "lost" in NY than he would be sitting in MS.

Fritz
08-09-2008, 02:54 PM
The only point with which I disagree is the "coolness" part. I don't think he was "cool" in terms of his style of play. He was a frickin' heart attack.

I'd be screaming at the tv - "NO NO NO DON'T DO THAT YES YES YES WAY TO GO FAVRE!!

He was unique. I never saw anyone like him. He made the stupidest plays and the greatest plays, sometimes back to back. But he made a whole lot more great plays.

mraynrand
08-09-2008, 02:58 PM
He's not really gone, so long as we remember him. The way he pulled down the pants of offensive linemen; the way he farted all the time, just for fun. The way he threw into triple coverage. His little laugh. Like he way he laughed, sporting his playful, sheepish grin, when he threw a pass five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, instead of diving for a TD against MN in the playoffs. The way he threw the ball up for grabs in Philly; the way he threw an INT in his last pass as a Packer, even though the other WR, TE and running back were open. The way he threw into coverage for an INT when he had Chmura open underneath for a 4 yard gain at Dallas in the 1995 NFC Championship game. Good luck, Brett, hope you never have one of those moments again.

Partial
08-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Well said HW.

Badgerinmaine
08-10-2008, 07:11 AM
we'll never see a player in Green Bay who was more fun to watch.

I would bet there are some women in the greater Green Bay area who would vote for Paul Hornung or Max McGee for that honor...depending on what you mean by "watch".
:P :P :P

falco
08-10-2008, 07:27 AM
we'll never see a player in Green Bay who was more fun to watch.

I would bet there are some women in the greater Green Bay area who would vote for Paul Hornung or Max McGee for that honor...depending on what you mean by "watch".
:P :P :P

unfortunately they are all in nursing homes right now

bobblehead
08-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I was ready for the team to move on, but I am under no illusions that I won't miss him. As many times as I wanted to choke him, I remember laughing and saying "man so and so's fans must really hate Favre". Usually after he spun away from two defenders, stiff armed a third in houdini fashion, then threw it 18 yards on 3rd and 17.

Joemailman
08-10-2008, 09:39 AM
The only point with which I disagree is the "coolness" part. I don't think he was "cool" in terms of his style of play. He was a frickin' heart attack.

I'd be screaming at the tv - "NO NO NO DON'T DO THAT YES YES YES WAY TO GO FAVRE!!

He was unique. I never saw anyone like him. He made the stupidest plays and the greatest plays, sometimes back to back. But he made a whole lot more great plays.

I think you're confusing the issue here. Favre was cool. He always seemed to project a sense that he had things under control. It was us fans who would be screaming and having a heart attack.

MOBB DEEP
08-10-2008, 10:30 AM
not to be a killjoy (a poster on a public forum shouldnt be able to do that ANYWAY since is about opinions) but its actually kinda sickening for me to read the naysayers waxyng nostalgic after bashing him over the past month.

personally, when i reflect on his career and antics i get even madder at TT and MM; they didnt revere him the way holmy and wolf did. and y not???who are they really? like ive said PLAYERS make this league. all those magical, improvisational plays have NUTHN to do with management; it was instincts and skills u cant teach/thats what the GREAT ones have but GB feels they have that RARE talent in aaron? Lord favres come around once in a life time and these schmucks run out of grace and handle his legacy the way they did?? he put Gb on the map in the modern era and is the MAIN reason i and many others became serious pack supporters

again, tt will live on in infamy for one of the most insane moves in sports history and SO many of u supported it. its hilarious to read the bashers now wishing him well.

im DEF more loyal to favre and my fav pack players than GB so take my opinions for what they're worth throughout the year

frickn TT talkn about "it is with some sadness..." PUHLEEZE....glad i have the nfl ticket and tivo b/c i dont know what i would do if pack and jets games were on at the same time. actually i do....

SECOND IN MVP VOTING IN JAUARY 2008!!!!!!

falco
08-10-2008, 10:34 AM
not to be a killjoy (a poster on a public forum shouldnt be able to do that ANYWAY since is about opinions) but its actually kinda sickening for me to read the naysayers waxyng nostalgic after bashing him over the past month.

personally, when i reflect on his career and antics i get even madder at TT and MM; they didnt revere him the way holmy and wolf did. and y not???who are they really? like ive said PLAYERS make this league. all those magical, improvisational plays have NUTHN to do with management; it was instincts and skills u cant teach/thats what the GREAT ones have but GB feels they have that RARE talent in aaron? Lord favres come around once in a life time and these schmucks run out of grace and handle his legacy the way they did?? he put Gb on the map in the modern era and is the MAIN reason i and many others became serious pack supporters

again, tt will live on in infamy for one of the most insane moves in sports history and SO many of u supported it. its hilarious to read the bashers now wishing him well.

im DEF more loyal to favre and my fav pack players than GB so take my opinions for what they're worth throughout the year

frickn TT talkn about "it is with some sadness..." PUHLEEZE....glad i have the nfl ticket and tivo b/c i dont know what i would do if pack and jets games were on at the same time. actually i do....

i'm sure you'll be too busy watching jets and saints games this year to follow the packers anyway :roll:

i'm glad that you oppose the move, but just because some of us felt it was the best thing for the team doesn't mean we can't wish favre well

in fact, given some of favre's actions i think it is a very gracious thing to do

MOBB DEEP
08-10-2008, 10:40 AM

i'm sure you'll be too busy watching jets and saints games this year to follow the packers anyway :roll:

i'm glad that you oppose the move, but just because some of us felt it was the best thing for the team doesn't mean we can't wish favre well

in fact, given some of favre's actions i think it is a very gracious thing to do

he he, yeah saints and jets in the SB...

but how graciuos do u have to be to forgive someone who doesnt directly harm u or ur loved ones? its not like we're related to these people; its ENTERTAINMENT and people take this too serious imho. we all talk about the great plays and memories but its not like it HAD to end (frickn egos)

but anyway the nayhsayers have prob done worse in their personal lives than what they crucified favre for doing when his feelings got hurt after ALL he's done for the franchise (after he got tt and mm contrct xtensions no less) so i dont give them credit for taking the "highroad" and wishn #4 well

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2008, 12:51 PM
its not like we're related to these people; its ENTERTAINMENT and people take this too serious imho.

take it too seriously!? it's you and the other bitter-enders who are pulling out TT voodoo dolls and mumbling curses against those who supported managment. i woke up this morning and there was a camel's head in my bed, and my feet had turned into hooves. Obviously you and that other Favre witch, 007, are spinning your mischief.

esoxx
08-10-2008, 01:28 PM

but how graciuos do u have to be to forgive someone who doesnt directly harm u or ur loved ones? its not like we're related to these people; its ENTERTAINMENT and people take this too serious imho. we all talk about the great plays and memories but its not like it HAD to end (frickn egos)

but anyway the nayhsayers have prob done worse in their personal lives than what they crucified favre for doing when his feelings got hurt after ALL he's done for the franchise (after he got tt and mm contrct xtensions no less) so i dont give them credit for taking the "highroad" and wishn #4 well

Excellent posts mobb. Couldn't agree more.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Favre has been crucified? The Favre Cult has now elevated him to a Christ figure!

Favre deserved every ounce of criticism that he received. I can think of no more blatant instance of Prima Donna behavior in sports history. Let it go.

esoxx
08-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Excellent posts mobb. Couldn't agree more.

pbmax
08-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't think its wise for front office types and the person in charge of the football operation to revere a single player. That's the fan's job.

And Holmgren and Wolf have been admiring him from afar since 2000 and 2001 respectfully. If Holmgren was still coaching in Green Bay, he would have been red faced, not reverential, over some of Favre's play since the Big Show left.