PDA

View Full Version : A little help......

Erock
08-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey guys/gals,

Yesterday, a friend and I got into a heated debate about the expectations of the Packers this year! And I did start a thread before about the expectations of this team now, but I wanted to see if I was crazy for thinking the way I do! :shock:

I said anything less than the playoffs would be very disappointing.

He said that you have to give Aaron sometime and I countered with the guy has had 3 years to get ready, and he doesn't have to do anything besides manage this team and not turn the ball over and they'll be in good shape, IMO.

Their is NO rebuilding here!! Especially if they think Aaron is the guy at QB.

I was just wondering what you guys/gals thought and if I have unrealistic expectations for the Packers.

sheepshead
08-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Missing the playoffs for this team would be tragic IMO. If healthy, We should be as good as last year. My brother was telling me about a game by game analysis showing Favres last 7 or so games just sucked. Anyone see this ( i guess I can look at the stats myself)

I'm certain the expectation is at least another NFC championship game appearance.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Our record will likely not be as good as last year. Brett Favre's teams only had three 13-3 seasons in 16 years. And none better than that. However, I think a playoff berth is a realistic expectation. Rodgers might eventually be great, but I'd still expect growing pains this year. I'd be happy with a playoff berth, improved play throughout the year by Rodgers, and keep building this thing.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Expectations are high...and not making the playoffs would be a bummer.

However, it really depends on how we finish the year. If the team and arod struggle in the beginning but come on strong at the end and we miss the playoffs i think everyone will be disappointed but at the same time feel very good about the team and the direction it is headed...similar to last year's browns.

If arod and the offense look good the last 6-8 games i think we will all be happy. It is a long season..and things happen. Who is to say that we will be injury free on the dline.

texaspackerbacker
08-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm with you, Erock. I thoroughly expect this to be a great season, and anything less than last year would indeed, be a disappointment.

The one stipulation on that, though, is that the Packer schedule seems to be harder than last year. As for the finish being the key, though, it's a lot more likely that early games will be the key. The schedule before the bye week is a lot more difficult than after the bye. Also, Rodgers logically should get better as the season goes along.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-08-2008, 07:06 PM
The sked doesn't "seem" to be harder. It is harder.

texaspackerbacker
08-08-2008, 07:12 PM

That's something best judged at the end of the season, not the beginning--or maybe you forgot a couple years ago when we supposedly had such an easy schedule.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-08-2008, 07:19 PM

That's something best judged at the end of the season, not the beginning--or maybe you forgot a couple years ago when we supposedly had such an easy schedule.

How we play isn't a factor in the easiest sked. If we go 4-12 or 16-0 the sked is still the same.

The sked is determined by the league and is based off our finish last year.

hoosier
08-08-2008, 07:23 PM
IMO, last year's 13-3 record was a little deceiving. That's a dominating record, but it wasn't a dominating team for most of the year. They started out with some luck and some overacheiving, and then became more confident as the season went on (and as Ryan Grant emerged to provide a balanced attack). But there's no way, in my view, that they match up against the 1996 and 97 teams.

That said, I expect this year to be somewhere between 9-7 and 12-4 in a weak division and a relatively weak conference. A good team but not great. I expect Rodgers to do relatively well, probably with some ups and downs like most first year starters, but generally showing himself to be a more than competent QB. Their season, like most non-great teams, will depend on luck and injuries, and in GBs case their ability to hold together at DL (assuming Jolly isn't suspended and stays healthy, etc.).

BZnDallas
08-08-2008, 07:28 PM
i seem to agree with ya'll... i think 11-5 or 10-6 and the playoffs is about where we will end up this year... it might start off a lil shakey as the sked looks pretty tough, but i do think a strong finish and at least a playoff birth is in reach... i think i'll really pay attention to rodgers and how his development as the starter progresses... and hope for no devastating injuries to the dline... i think we could weather an injury or two in other places and still come out alright... IMO...

Zool
08-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't see why 10-6 is unreasonable to assume if the team stays healthy. If the D plays lights out, Grant continues what he started and Rodgers plays well 12-4 is about the ceiling IMO and I'm pretty sure everyone would be happy with that.

The Leaper
08-08-2008, 11:02 PM
My brother was telling me about a game by game analysis showing Favres last 7 or so games just sucked. Anyone see this ( i guess I can look at the stats myself)

No...and I'm not sure where I would look, because Favre's last 7 games certainly did not all suck. Favre had a QB rating over 115 in 4 of the last 7 regular season games.

You don't suck over the last 7 games of the season and garner an MVP vote.

texaspackerbacker
08-08-2008, 11:09 PM

How we play isn't a factor in the easiest sked. If we go 4-12 or 16-0 the sked is still the same.

The sked is determined by the league and is based off our finish last year.

Your lack of comprehension is exceeded only by your lack of balls.

If I need to spell it out for you, teams that SEEM tough opponents often don't seem that way by the end of the season and vice versa. That came up the year after we went 4-12 and were supposed to have an easy schedule. After the season, though, Packer opponents had a significantly higher relative winning percentage than what SEEMED to be beforehand--based on the previous year.

Thus, we SEEM to have a difficult schedule.

MadtownPacker
08-09-2008, 12:40 AM
In the current NFC anything less than a playoff spot, wildcard or not, is a failure IMO. The team will need to finish looking like it is moving up. If not next season will decide if M3 is the long term coach for the team.

SnakeLH2006
08-09-2008, 12:43 AM
In the current NFC anything less than a playoff spot, wildcard or not, is a failure IMO. The team will need to finish looking like it is moving up. If not next season will decide if M3 is the long term coach for the team.

Yeppers.