PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Admits He Feels The Pressure

oregonpackfan
08-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Favre gone, Rodgers leads the Pack (again)
8 hours ago
Loading... 0 Recommendations

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — Aaron Rodgers needed an extra squirt of antiseptic spray for his sore throat before speaking, but the lump from having to compete for his job is gone, jettisoned with Brett Favre to New York.

Rodgers is right back where he began in March. He's the starting quarterback of the Green Bay Packers. That doesn't mean the pressure has diminished - well, maybe a little.

``My job is going to be difficult either way. There's a lot of pressure to just be a starting quarterback in this league,'' Rodgers said Friday. ``I'm still following Brett's legacy, regardless of the fact if he's here, retired or like he is in New York now.

``There's high expectations on myself, on our team and I think it's still going to be a difficult situation as far as the pressure outside this locker room that's put on me.''

For the first time, though, the fans that showed up to watch training camp practice at the NFL's smallest outpost gave him a break, besides a lone heckler who kept riding the organization's ``mistake.'' There were no ``Save Brett'' signs and the number of No. 4 jerseys were about even with Rodgers' No. 12.

Rodgers and the rest of the offense looked crisp, too. Wide receiver Greg Jennings, who had emerged last season as one of Favre's favorite targets, made a nifty one-handed grab for a touchdown for his new QB during a no-huddle drill.

Rodgers argued that the trade had nothing to do with the offense's sudden improvement in practice, but the grin gave him away despite his efforts to deny it.

``It was good to get a resolution to the whole thing. It's been definitely on all of our minds. We've had to talk about it a lot, throughout the training camp,'' Rodgers said. ``Everybody in the locker room. We're happy for Brett that he gets to still play and we're going to move forward together as a team.''

Packers coach Mike McCarthy didn't answer his first Favre-related question for several minutes. He had no comment about Favre in a Jets jersey, but was relieved to get past explaining why the organization traded the face of the franchise for a conditional draft pick late Wednesday night.

``A sense of relief? You could say (it) in a lot of ways. I'm about press conferenced out, number one. That's something, it's a responsibility, I understand, but it was something that the situation needed to be resolved and it was nice to get to a finality of that,'' McCarthy said. ``I'm relieved that we're talking about football, our football team, and that's what the focus needs to be on.''

Nine veterans had the morning off, which included the core group of players who'd been with Favre the longest, like right tackle Mark Tauscher and wide receiver Donald Driver.

Rodgers, who had only been under Favre for three years and watched the team reach the NFC championship game last season, said that he's learned from the experience over the last month.

``I'm just reassured of the fact that things happen for a reason, just to trust God in every situation and try and remain patient and even keeled, because there's going to be ups and downs in life as in football and the things you can't control are the things often you want to worry about the most,'' Rodgers said. ``But it's really useless to worry about those because they're really out of your control. This situation was a prime example of that.''

The Packers' first round pick in 2005, Rodgers heard the news of the trade at the St. Norbert College dorms, where the team stays during training camp. He was in the middle of his cribbage game with Korey Hall, John Kuhn and Tauscher.

It put to rest any talk of a quarterback competition for a job handed to him after Favre announced his retirement in a tearful news conference on March 6.

Still, Rodgers said he would have welcomed Favre back and prepared for a competition, even though he acknowledged the coaching staff never told him what the plan was if Favre would have stayed in Green Bay.

``The thing that would've happened potentially is a quarterback competition, that was kind of the worst option, I guess you could say, which wasn't even a bad option at all,'' Rodgers said. ``They told me I was the starter back in March and I worked hard to figure out ways to exert my leadership on this team, get to know guys a little more.

``When all this stuff kind of went on last week, I realized the very worst case scenario was being able, having to compete for my job. So that wasn't a bad situation.''

Now it's just a much better one.

Notes: Packers RB Ryan Grant sat out practice with a strained hamstring that McCarthy characterized as ``slight.'' Grant missed the first week of training camp before signing a four-year contract potentially worth $30 million. ... Green Bay signed CB Scorpio Babers on Friday. Babers took the spot Favre vacated on the 80-man roster when he was traded.

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Misleading Subject to me. I watched the interview. He didn't come off as feeling the pressure. He rightly stated that there's always pressure to perform in the NFL. Nothing more. Nothing less. He didn't come off like he was overly concerned about it. It was basically a pat answer to a dumb question. Reporters can be funny. Sometimes it seems like they've already written the story, then they'll ask questions that lead into validating the story.

SnakeLH2006
08-09-2008, 12:47 AM
<<Direct reply to Topic = :shock:

Jimx29
08-09-2008, 12:51 AM
I still don't see anything to make me not believe that he crumbles like a house of cards for the most part of the season.
Hope i'm wrong...........

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah, his interviews show he's really cracking under pressure.
:roll:

The first words uttered by Rodgers after the trade that finally solidified his place as the Packers’ starting quarterback were...

“I was playing cribbage, so probably 31 for 2,” Rodgers said.

"Me and Korey Hall have been playing Mark Tauscher and John Kuhn and we’ve been spanking them,” Rodgers said.

SnakeLH2006
08-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah, his interviews show he's really cracking under pressure.
:roll:

The first words uttered by Rodgers after the trade that finally solidified his place as the Packers’ starting quarterback were...

“I was playing cribbage, so probably 31 for 2,” Rodgers said.

"Me and Korey Hall have been playing Mark Tauscher and John Kuhn and we’ve been spanking them,” Rodgers said.

http://warmedoversports.blogspot.com/2008/03/aaron-rodgers-wants-out-of-nfl-as.html

Aaron Rodgers Wants Out Of NFL As A Conscientious Objector

Green Bay, WI. (Mar. 10) - Citing his belief that his NFL tour of duty was in "peace time" and thus not subject to action on the field of play, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has petitioned the league to let him out of his professional football commitment.

"This is not what I signed up for," Rodgers said in the wake of the news that longtime QB Brett Favre has retired after 16 seasons with the Packers. "I joined the Packers during peace time. I was told that Brett was the quarterback, that he would always BE the quarterback, and that I would be relegated to desk and clipboard duty. Which I was totally down with."

Rodgers, though, has now been thrust into the role of starting quarterback with Favre's retirement. And he believes that violates the terms of his NFL tour of duty.

"I was promised a football education, travel, and discipline," Rodgers told reporters outside the Packers' practice facility yesterday. "Nobody said anything about me actually playing.

"I'm telling you, that if I was told I'd have to play, I wouldn't have joined. I don't like violence, frankly."

So Rodgers is citing conscientious objector status as his reason for being allowed out of his NFL agreement.

"I know there's a draft. But I was drafted during PEACE TIME. Don't you get it?"

Rodgers, on Day One of his peace time NFL tour of duty

Rodgers, who says he's never even had to have his jersey laundered since being picked by the Packers in 2005, apparently underestimated the effect Favre's retirement would have on him personally.

"I naturally assumed that they'd be signing or trading for another quarterback," he told reporters. "You know, kind of like when your teacher retires. They don't make the student the teacher. You see what I mean? It's crazy."

But then reports surfaced that Rodgers, indeed, would be the Packers' signal-caller in 2008 -- which floored him.

"A complete violation of my agreement," Rodgers said. "I will not rest, and I will not stop my fight, until I am once again benched in favor of another quarterback."

"You can't just do this to someone. Someone has to take a stand against these big NFL teams. I guess it's going to be me."

Rodgers says that if his try is unsuccessful, then he'll do the next honorable thing.

"I'll move to Canada, and hold a clipboard there."

Zool
08-09-2008, 09:02 AM
No matter how many times you post this "satire" it wont be funny.
I woke up and story funnier than this dropped into the toilet.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 01:43 AM
He may be inexperienced and/or injury prone, but I don't see a guy that looks like he'll cave into the pressure of the situation.