PDA

View Full Version : "I'll Be Happy if the Packers go ___ and ___ this year.

Fritz
08-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Actually, I wanted to start this thread to vent about what I see is the foolishness of the above statement ("I'll be happy if the Packers go 10 - 6" or whatever record people fill in with).

The way a person views a team's record depends almost entirely upon the circumstances in which the record is compiled and how the team is playing at the moment. For example, at the beginning of last year in Detroit everybody and his brother was saying that if the Lions could improve and get maybe seven wins, people would be happy.

Well, they won seven games, but people in Detroit were pissed. Why? Because the Lions were 6 - 2 at the halfway point. So perspectives changed.

If you say you'll be pissed unless the Packers win at least eleven games, and with, say, four games left the Pack is 6 - 6 due to massive injuries to the offensive line, the defensive line, and, say, defensive backfield, and then they go on to win the last four, you might find yourself happy about the Packers being 10 - 6.

Conversely, if you say you'll be happy with an 11 - 5 season and with four games left the Packers are 11 - 1, then proceed to lose the last four because of cocky, sloppy play and stupid coaching decisions (especially knowing the Lions are the last game on the schedule), they'd be 11 - 5 but I bet you'd be pissed off.

So I say, no threads about what record will make you happy, unless you're willing to spell out these kinds of conditions.

Hey - what do I think I am? The thread police?

Bretsky
08-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm content if they make the playoffs; I won't attach a record to that.

I would not blame anybody if they want to win the division.

Let's be frank here; if our QB play is not shitty we should at least be a wild card team. We're in the NFC in a weak division.

The surrounding talent is really good and if you have faith in the Packer brass we should expect there would not be too big of a dropoff and AROD would play well enough to at least make the playoffs

pbmax
08-09-2008, 09:17 AM
We have a tougher AFC division (South vs West) this year than last and face a first place slate of NFC games. All things remaining equal (never a good assumption), especially the good fortune we have had over injuries to starters, then I think playoffs are reachable.

But the Vikings will likely be better, the Bears are not as bad as their record last year so the division title will be tough.

With Favre I wasn't convinced we would be close to 13-3 again, with Rodgers the odds are longer. I am still concerned about the pass rush from the DLine. On the good side, I think our secondary will be even better and might even recover should Al Harris just fall off the table. We also seem to have one more piece to the OLine puzzle in J Sitton.

We are young and getting better, but we will need to defend that judgment when they go 10-6 this year.

sheepshead
08-09-2008, 09:39 AM
This is obviously a tough call. I always take how a team finished into consideration going into the next year. Well, we were a play away from the super bowl and didnt have a running game till week 7 or so. Then there's the quarterback. Aside from " Arod the unknown" have we gone south in anyones opinion in any area? Seems to me weve only added depth. Health and knucklehead moves like Jolly's cocktail cruise can always hurt us.

I'm optimistic. The Vikings will be a very good team. The Bears didnt get better. (they beat us twice however.)

I see no reason why we cant win the division. If we go into the playoffs on all cylinders. No reason we cannot go deep again. McCarthy matured as a coach after that terrific game plan against the Giants I am sure.

But,

I'm a homer.

Brohm
08-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Playoffs or bust!

BF4MVP
08-09-2008, 11:24 AM
This is a playoff team..And not just one who goes 8-8 and makes it by a hair...

11-13 wins..

texaspackerbacker
08-09-2008, 01:27 PM
16 and 3--that's 13-3 plus 3 in the playoffs--which, of course, means winning the Super Bowl. Any less will be at least slightly disappointing.

3irty1
08-09-2008, 01:30 PM
16 and 3--that's 13-3 plus 3 in the playoffs--which, of course, means winning the Super Bowl. Any less will be at least slightly disappointing.

I for one would not be disapointed at all if they went 9-7 and won the super bowl.

mraynrand
08-09-2008, 02:34 PM

I for one would not be disapointed at all if they went 9-7 and won the super bowl.

I'll be disappointed if they don't win the superbowl. They were very close to beating the superbowl winner who beat arguably the best team in the history of the NFL. TT and MM have told us through their offseason actions that they have a QB who can play better than Favre did last year, and they have an extremely deep team that should be improved across the roster. Anything short of a Superbowl win is a disaster.

Fritz
08-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm content if they make the playoffs; I won't attach a record to that.

I would not blame anybody if they want to win the division.

Let's be frank here; if our QB play is not shitty we should at least be a wild card team. We're in the NFC in a weak division.

The surrounding talent is really good and if you have faith in the Packer brass we should expect there would not be too big of a dropoff and AROD would play well enough to at least make the playoffs

Bretsky, you have positively become a zen master over the last three or so years.

I bow to your wisdom and zen-like attitude.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 02:45 PM
That opening game with MN is going to be dramatic. ITs only one game, but we'll see how far Jackson has come, and if Rodgers can handle the pressure.

Fritz
08-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility that the Detroit Lions might have the best QB in the division at this point?

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 02:53 PM
what's his name? :lol: guess i am a little out of it.

Fritz
08-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Drew Stanton :roll:

mraynrand
08-09-2008, 03:01 PM

I thought they were going with the guy from 'Prison Break' as their starter again.

mission
08-09-2008, 03:15 PM

I'll be disappointed if they don't win the superbowl. They were very close to beating the superbowl winner who beat arguably the best team in the history of the NFL. TT and MM have told us through their offseason actions that they have a QB who can play better than Favre did last year, and they have an extremely deep team that should be improved across the roster. Anything short of a Superbowl win is a disaster.

Your posts have been a lot more rational lately so thank you for that, but a "disaster" ... I'd be upset if we made it to the Super Bowl and lost, but a DISASTER?

Come on... take your panties off and put on some big boy shorts. Talk about dramatics ... I had a girlfriend like you once. She made the entire process leading up to the airport and getting on a plane a complete nightmare. :P

I think we can put a Top 3-4 team in the NFL this year... I'm expecting real solid play across the board.

Fritz
08-09-2008, 03:18 PM

I thought they were going with the guy from 'Prison Break' as their starter again.

Drew Stanton :twisted: was in prison. He went to Michigan State.

Joemailman
08-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Hard to go 13-3 two years in a row. I think 11-5, NFC North Title and at least 1 playoff win would be a pretty good season. Really, the most important thing this season is for TT and M3 to be proven right about Rodgers, even if they made the wrong move about Favre.

mraynrand
08-09-2008, 08:13 PM

Drew Stanton :twisted: was in prison. He went to Michigan State.

Score!

oregonpackfan
08-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Hard to go 13-3 two years in a row. I think 11-5, NFC North Title and at least 1 playoff win would be a pretty good season. Really, the most important thing this season is for TT and M3 to be proven right about Rodgers, even if they made the wrong move about Favre.

I agree with Joe though I think the Packers may go 10-6.

I also suspect the Packers may start off slow on the offensive end during the first half of the season. Their record may be as low as 4-4 or 5-3.

With Rodgers getting more experience, I believe the Packers will be offensively stronger the second half of the season.

gbgary
08-09-2008, 09:46 PM
the way this off-season has gone i'll dial back my original thoughts and go with 8-8. 10-6 if they're very lucky.

texaspackerbacker
08-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I just wonder what the doom and gloom predicters this year were saying at this stage last season. Myself, I under-estimated last season with a 11-5/12-4 prediction. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm similarly under-estimating this year at 13-3.

In response to what somebody posted earlier, hell yeah, I actually would be disappointed with 9-7 and winning the Super Bowl. To have a genuinely flukish season like the Giants ain't my cup of tea. Besides, I've always said, the regular season is more a measure of how good a team is. The playoffs are more a matter of luck and circumstance. And yes, I'd say that even if my team did something like the Giants last year.

Partial
08-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Superbowl. Too much talent for them not to win the NFC.

BallHawk
08-10-2008, 12:31 AM
The goal of the team is to improve from year to year.

We made it to the NFC Championship so the next step is the Super Bowl.

I expect to get there. Winning....that's a different story.

Badgerinmaine
08-10-2008, 07:04 AM
I think the pack was fortunate to win as many games as they did last year--I would be happy with 10-6 and a playoff spot. If they do go 10-6, I would think that would be enough to win the North title.

Lurker64
08-10-2008, 08:01 AM
I'll Be Happy if the Packers go to the playoffs and don't embarrass themselves this year.

bobblehead
08-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Has anyone considered the possibility that the Detroit Lions might have the best QB in the division at this point?

Watched him on NFLN last night and he looked really good, and calvin johnson is a stud. We got a tough division.

Ok, from a selfish standpoint...9-7, I got a big bet on over 8.5 wins.

From a fan and my logic standpoint. I don't think 11-5 is out of reach at all, homefield win in the playoffs. arod will have growing pains, no doubt, but he should manage the games. As far as superbowl or bust...the pats went 16-0 last year and didnt win it, you can never "expect" the superbowl, you can only hope to be really good and get there once in awhile. I think we will be really good and MIGHT get there.