PDA

View Full Version : Packers Bengals Preview

KYPack
08-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Green Bay fans now get to watch our favorite team in action! The Packers shake their post-Favre hoopla blues by returning to Lambeau Monday Night, 7PM CST, in the good old Bishop's Charities Game. They take on the Cincinnati Bengals in an NFC/AFC match-up.
The Bengals are a team in flux. They changed a number of Defensive coordinators in past seasons as Marvin Lewis' reputation as a defensive wiz seems to tarnish. Last season, the Bengals finished near the bottom in most defensive categories. He's added ex-Cowboy and Falcon D-Coordinator Mike Zimmer in an effort to put an effective defense on the field. If Lewis and Zimmer can create a defensive solution, the Bengals can be a factor. Their offense has the potential to be among the best in the league.
On offense, the Bengals don't plan to play their 1's a lot in Monday's game. That is good for us. The Bengals have a lot of tools on offense. Especially troublesome is the Bengals huge and talented offensive line. Several of these lineman will sit out Monday's game and that's good news with our defensive tackles still trying to find their way. Also, running back Rudi Johnson and pro bowl receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh are extremely doubtful. With starters Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson only expected to get 10 -15 snaps, the Bengals won't really play with maximum firepower in this contest. Many back-ups will play in this game, including former Packer, Antonio Chatman at WR. The Bengals don't have a lot of talent at back-up positions, especially QB, so they should be undermanned in this game. An interesting match-up early should be our LB's and safeties covering new TE Ben Utech (FA from IND). Palmer has been working with Utech in camp to develop a weapon to compliment Johnson and Houshmandzadeh. Watch Poppinga and Chillar try to cover him in passing situations.

The Bengals have a lot of weapons offensively, but on defense they are still trying to find their way. Zimmer is the new Defensive Coordinator and he is trying a variety of looks to find a defensive personality. Their overall philosophy is to fly to the ball and be very aggressive. That's nice, but many of their personnel groups on defense still need to get sorted out. Look for some 3-4, 4-3 fronts with the team shifting in and out on the fly. The Bengal's have rebuilt their secondary. They went with aging corners for several seasons and transitioned to the kids last year. Corners Leon Hall and Jonathan Joseph are both #1 draft picks and are starting to form an effective cover combo out wide. The safety position is especially troubling. The Bengals are very young or very old at the safety spots. Chinedum Ndukwe is the rising star at safety, but he is out with a knee injury. Old pro Dexter Jackson will man the safety position, but he has lost more than just a step.
The linebackers are a mixed bag. Late Eagle cut Dhani Jones landed on his feet in Cincy, but he's not a complete LB by any means. The Bengals also drafted Keith Rivers from USC, who will get his first league action in this game. The Bengals also drafted to bolster their DLine and will start several rookies there in an attempt to be effective against the run. Another FA acquisition, LDE Antwan Odom, will be lucky to play in the regular season, he's out with a bum foot.

The Bengals may put a defense together this year, but it won't be there Monday night. Look for the Bengals to go with many gimmicks on D, like corner and double blitzes. On offense, the Packers should be able to throw the ball on the safeties and force the Bengals to keep only 7 in the box. This should open up our running game and look for MM to take full advantage when the Bengals counter to try and stop the Packer running game. There should be quite a few big plays coming open for us.
This is the first pre-season game and the bottom line in this one is depth. Our 2's and 3's are a lot better than the Bengal reserves. The Bengals can hang in with any team in the league in a regular contest with that high octane offense. This is a pre-season game on the road and the Bengal bench just won't measure up. The Bengals will hit a few big plays, they always do, but it won't be enough. Look for the Packer players to be very happy for a chance to cut thru the BS and let their play do some talking.

Packers 31 Bengals 13

GBRulz
08-09-2008, 10:05 AM
If anyone is close enough, there are lots of tickets left for this game. Scalpers even selling below face value, plus you can find a link to buy them from packers.com (ticketmaster).

I'm kinda bummed that Cinci's top RB's won't be playing because I really want to see how we do against stopping the run. Oh well, that's why we have 3 more preseason games to go after this.

BF4MVP
08-09-2008, 11:27 AM
If anyone is close enough, there are lots of tickets left for this game. Scalpers even selling below face value, plus you can find a link to buy them from packers.com (ticketmaster).

I'm kinda bummed that Cinci's top RB's won't be playing because I really want to see how we do against stopping the run. Oh well, that's why we have 3 more preseason games to go after this.
I'm hopin I can go to the lot before the game and snare one for $10..That's what I did the last preseason game I went to haha 8-)

The Gunshooter
08-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I am looking forward to GB smashing Cincinnati as payback for the 2006 preseason embarrassment and Rodgers letting off some steam.

cpk1994
08-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Since the game is on FavreSPN, will they be too busy talking about Favre to notice there is a game going on?

KYPack
08-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Since the game is on FavreSPN, will they be too busy talking about Favre to notice there is a game going on?

This is the first time watching a game on the local yokel Bengal feed will a freakin' blessing. ( I live down here in Bengal land)

Fritz
08-09-2008, 03:27 PM

I hated this even when Favre was with the Pack. The announcers are awful - too busy yammering about Favre to bother with the actual game, and whether the offensive line is working well or which players look good and which don't or anything that one wants to learn about in a preseason game.

Chevelle2
08-09-2008, 03:30 PM

I hated this even when Favre was with the Pack. The announcers are awful - too busy yammering about Favre to bother with the actual game, and whether the offensive line is working well or which players look good and which don't or anything that one wants to learn about in a preseason game.

Forget just this preseason game - we will hear it all season. :roll:

Oscar
08-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm looking forward to the game..Not really looking forward to all the Favre stuff though. I'd rather hear about the team. Maybe we should start guessing how many times the announcers say the Favre word?? Like when Madden called a game.. :lol: :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
08-09-2008, 05:21 PM
You all know about the Packer "Dope Sheet".

Well the Bengals have one also.

http://assets.bengals.com/assets/default/wr080811.pdf

An interesting item to note about what the Bengals are bragging about is....

(drum roll)

"For 53 consecutive TV ratings weeks that have included a Bengals regular-season or postseason game, the Bengals have been the top-rated show in
the Cincinnati market."

Think about that for a second. For 3 years + bigger than I Love Lucy, Gilligan Island, and American Idol in Cincinnati. Just not during preseason or when there has been a blackout. What a home market.

CaliforniaCheez
08-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Humor

http://melaman2.com/nfl-fightmusic/Bengals_The_Bengal_Growl.mp3

The Bengal Fight Song

CaliforniaCheez
08-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I think the packers have the depth everywhere but D-line to win it especially in the second half.

50% of the talk will be about Favre and Rodgers and 25% Chad Johnson and 25% about the game.

ESPN is ESPN.

gbpackfan
08-11-2008, 01:12 AM

But our DTs are all banged up. So it kind of works out.

Fritz
08-11-2008, 06:40 AM

(drum roll)

"For 53 consecutive TV ratings weeks that have included a Bengals regular-season or postseason game, the Bengals have been the top-rated show in
the Cincinnati market."

Think about that for a second. For 3 years + bigger than I Love Lucy, Gilligan Island, and American Idol in Cincinnati. Just not during preseason or when there has been a blackout. What a home market.

You forgot WKRP in Cincinnati!

LL2
08-11-2008, 01:25 PM
I can't wait for the game. Excited about football again and anxious to see how the team will do.

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM

(drum roll)

the Cincinnati market."

You forgot WKRP in Cincinnati!

It's a good football town. The Fans almost never sit down during a game. Not a lot of jerks. Funny Star Wars characters in Bengals colors. Much louder than Lambeau on average. Much warmer. Tailgating is so-so.