PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rouse and Scott Wells missing a lot pratices

sepporepi
08-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Do you think they will loose (Wells) their starter position or have no chance to become a starter (Rouse) at least at the beginning of the season?

I my opinion with Rouse missing that much he needs Collins to totally fall apart in the preseason to gain a starting spot.

If the coaching stuff keeps thinking so highly of Sitton I can see them playing Spitz at center leaving Wells on the bench if he doesn't start practicing again soon.

cpk1994
08-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Do you think they will loose (Wells) their starter position or have no chance to become a starter (Rouse) at least at the beginning of the season?

I my opinion with Rouse missing that much he needs Collins to totally fall apart in the preseason to gain a starting spot.

If the coaching stuff keeps thinking so highly of Sitton I can see them playing Spitz at center leaving Wells on the bench if he doesn't start practicing again soon.If Wells is healthy, he is the starter week 1. He didn't do anything to lose his job. Rouse obviously loses a little by not being able to practive.

Guiness
08-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Do you think they will loose (Wells) their starter position or

What's wrong with Wells? I know he hasn't been on the field, but haven't seen the reason.

Patler
08-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Rouse has to win a starting job, and he can't do that from the sideline.

Wells being out could have a ripple effect on many people, because:
- while they like Wells a lot, they have been very pleased with Spitz at center
- Campen acknowledged they were forced to change some blocking assignments because their post season analysis confirmed that Wells is too small to be asked to do what he was asked to do against bigger tackles in some situations last year
- Wells being out has opened the door for Sitton at RG

So, with Wells out, the Packers could determine:
-Spitz gives more options at center, and Sitton is more than adequate at RG; or
- the two best guards are Spitz and Sitton, so the starters will be Spitz-Wells-Sitton

So, yes, Wells could lose his starting spot, but more likely I think is that Barbre and Colledge may lose their shots at starting.

Patler
08-09-2008, 02:14 PM

What's wrong with Wells? I know he hasn't been on the field, but haven't seen the reason.

They have called it a "trunk strain". The thing that makes this a concern is that he first experienced it in one of the off-season camps, so it is either lingering or reoccurring, neither of which is good. What isn't clear is how significant it is. If it were the regular season, could he play; are they just being very cautious?

Fritz
08-09-2008, 03:17 PM

They have called it a "trunk strain". The thing that makes this a concern is that he first experienced it in one of the off-season camps, so it is either lingering or reoccurring, neither of which is good. What isn't clear is how significant it is. If it were the regular season, could he play; are they just being very cautious?

What, did he pick up his suitcase wrong or something?

Uh, in your otherwise careful and detailed analysis of the possibilities created by Wells's absence, you neglected to mention the spectacular and talented Orange Junius Coston, Patler.

Don't forget I was a big Robert Ferguson fan, and remember how that turned out!

Patler
08-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Uh, in your otherwise careful and detailed analysis of the possibilities created by Wells's absence, you neglected to mention the spectacular and talented Orange Junius Coston, Patler.

Don't forget I was a big Robert Ferguson fan, and remember how that turned out!

Coston has been on the sidelines for a few practices, too. Could be the end of his time in GB if he doesn't get back on the field soon.

boiga
08-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Rouse was back in practice today, so he should be good to go on Monday.

Here's the list of people out due to injury today:

Starting cornerback Al Harris is absent from practice today, and backup middle linebacker Desmond Bishop is a new addition to the injury list. The reason for either’s absence wasn’t immediately clear
Still out are: offensive linemen Junius Coston, Scott Wells and Orrin Thompson; defensive linemen Justin Harrell, Johnny Jolly, Jeremy Thompson, Ryan Pickett and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila; running back Ryan Grant; receiver Greg Jennings and safety Charlie Peprah. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Guiness
08-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Trunk Strain - I remember that now. Ok, I explained hip flexor the best I could. So wtf is a trunk strain???

I'm guessing this means an injury to his 'core' as opposed to his limbs, and this is some sort of doublespeak (why, I don't know). So the injury is either abdominal or spinal erector muscle strain.

Is there a list of injuries anywhere on the Packers site? I don't think they have to release an official list until the regular season, so I doubt it.

Rastak
08-09-2008, 05:06 PM
sepporepi,

What's the avatar mean?

bobblehead
08-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I have had a trunk sprain. usually with me, it just hits...whammo. Nothing harsh causes it, slipping on wet grass once, bending over to pick up a softball once. Freaky stuff. For a schmoe like me I just lay flat for about 4 days and watch TV...after that I'm ok, but I usually can't go back to gym for about 3 weeks or I risk reinjury. Hopefully a professional athlete with all the trainers around will be cool in 2 weeks or maybe less...I could't even guess to be honest.

vince
08-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Trunk Strain - I remember that now. Ok, I explained hip flexor the best I could. So wtf is a trunk strain???

I'm guessing this means an injury to his 'core' as opposed to his limbs, and this is some sort of doublespeak (why, I don't know). So the injury is either abdominal or spinal erector muscle strain.

Is there a list of injuries anywhere on the Packers site? I don't think they have to release an official list until the regular season, so I doubt it.I wondered about the trunk strain too. Here's a definition and explanation.
http://www.wowbodybuilding.com/injury-during-exercise/trunk.html
Trunk Strain

The muscles of the trunk are responsible for stabilization and trunk rotation. Stabilization is key to reducing potential trunk and back injury.

Also called the torso, the trunk is composed of the rectus abdominis, external obliques, internal obliques, transverse abdominus, quadratus lumborum, and the spinal erectors. The torso musculature works in four basic ways.

The torso flexes and extends the spine and laterally flexes the spine. The torso transfers force, produces power, links the lower body to the upper, and stabilizes. In all, the torso is the center of all body movement.

When the body’s center is made stronger, all movement is more efficient. Training the trunk is concentrated in the sagittal plane only. Often the most neglected area in many workout programs is rotational training.

The trunk can be trained besides the typical crunch routine. Basic exercises like Olympic lifts and their variations, squats, and deadlifts are commendable in this premise. Lifts like these involve the trunk muscles more than sit-ups ever could.

Else, the human body is anyhow susceptible to trunk injuries. For one, the lumbar spine bears the brunt of significant forces that may contribute to trunk and back injury.

DonHutson
08-10-2008, 03:27 PM
The coaches love Scott Wells. If he's healthy, he'll be starting.