PDA

View Full Version : Favre practices, throws INT

Brando19
08-09-2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

2:50 p.m. ET

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Brett Favre's first pass during team (11-on-11) practice was completed to running back Thomas Jones for a short gain. During that period Favre completed 3 out of 4 passes.

However, during the previous period, which was seven-on-seven, Favre threw his first interception as a Jet. The pass was picked off by linebacker Matt Chatham. The overflow crowd started booing, but it was clear they were booing Chatham, not Favre.

1:20 p.m. ET

Brett Favre took the practice field for the first time as a member of the New York Jets at 1:20 p.m. ET. The minute he stepped on the field, Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" was played over the P.A. system at Hofstra University's practice field.

Favre's first drill saw him simply take snaps from center Nick Mangold. Favre was wearing a red No. 4 practice jersey, similar to what he wore at Packers practices, but had white pants with green stripes and a white Jets helmet. The stands at Hofstra were filled to standing-room only with all eyes on Favre, cheering his every move.

Favre then went through a warmup period where he stretched and did light running.

Prior to practice, Jets coach Eric Mangini spoke to reporters for 20 minutes and said Favre has already put in a full day watching film and meeting with coaches, beginning on Friday and continuing up until today's practice.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 02:18 PM
The minute he stepped on the field, Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" was played over the P.A. system at Hofstra University's practice field.

Appropriate, Brett & Bruce are about the same age, looking back on their glory days.

Well, I won't get too smug yet, Favre may still have something left in the tank.

mraynrand
08-09-2008, 02:26 PM
The minute he stepped on the field, Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" was played over the P.A. system at Hofstra University's practice field.

Appropriate, Brett & Bruce are about the same age, looking back on their glory days.

Well, I won't get too smug yet, Favre may still have something left in the tank.

That's funny. When Travis Henry hits the practice field, they play 'Ramrod.'

boiga
08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Is anyone else wondering why the Green Bay media is still covering this so attentively? They have live coverage for a Jets training camp practice ... but not our own which is going on at the same time.

Seriously, the NY media is going to have more than enough coverage of Brett's every pass and belch... we don't need our beat reporters there. Brett's a Jet, let it go.

Bring Rob Home!

GBRulz
08-09-2008, 02:42 PM
They have live coverage for a Jets training camp practice ... but not our own which is going on at the same time.

The PG has the same insiders blog they are posting on for all the Packers training camp practices, so I'm not sure what you're referring to as far as them not covering it "live"

boiga
08-09-2008, 02:55 PM
When I checked earlier at 2:20 WI time, they hadn't added the packer TC post yet.

Nevertheless, we don't really need to know that Favre ran around and stretched in a practice, do we?

For those who care about Brett's immediate future, PFT is saying that he'll start in the Jets next preseason game. http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Fritz
08-09-2008, 02:59 PM

2:50 p.m. ET

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Brett Favre's first pass during team (11-on-11) practice was completed to running back Thomas Jones for a short gain. During that period Favre completed 3 out of 4 passes.

However, during the previous period, which was seven-on-seven, Favre threw his first interception as a Jet. The pass was picked off by linebacker Matt Chatham. The overflow crowd started booing, but it was clear they were booing Chatham, not Favre.
1:20 p.m. ET

Brett Favre took the practice field for the first time as a member of the New York Jets at 1:20 p.m. ET. The minute he stepped on the field, Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" was played over the P.A. system at Hofstra University's practice field.

Favre's first drill saw him simply take snaps from center Nick Mangold. Favre was wearing a red No. 4 practice jersey, similar to what he wore at Packers practices, but had white pants with green stripes and a white Jets helmet. The stands at Hofstra were filled to standing-room only with all eyes on Favre, cheering his every move.

Favre then went through a warmup period where he stretched and did light running.

Prior to practice, Jets coach Eric Mangini spoke to reporters for 20 minutes and said Favre has already put in a full day watching film and meeting with coaches, beginning on Friday and continuing up until today's practice.

Obviously, the intended receiver ran the wrong route.

GBRulz
08-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Boiga, there are lots of Packer fans who are still very much interested in what Favre does. So, quite honestly, you should probably expect to see extensive coverage from the Jets camp. In fact, our local CBS station has already fielded so many calls from people inquiring about carrying Jets games locally, that they agreed to carry 10 games, I believe.

Good news about Brett starting in the 2nd preseason game already. Somebody posted in another thread that he wasn't going to be playing in the pre-season...I was thinking "wtf, why wouldn't he ?"

Brando19
08-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Boiga, there are lots of Packer fans who are still very much interested in what Favre does. So, quite honestly, you should probably expect to see extensive coverage from the Jets camp. In fact, our local CBS station has already fielded so many calls from people inquiring about carrying Jets games locally, that they agreed to carry 10 games, I believe.

Good news about Brett starting in the 2nd preseason game already. Somebody posted in another thread that he wasn't going to be playing in the pre-season...I was thinking "wtf, why wouldn't he ?"

Favre needs all the practice he can get with his new team b/f the regular season. They really need to win the first game against the Dolphins b/c game 2 is against the Patriots and game 3 is against the Chargers on MNF. I've heard quotes from Favre saying the pressure is really building and I personally believe he'll soon see he's made a bad choice.

CaliforniaCheez
08-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Is anyone else wondering why the Green Bay media is still covering this so attentively? They have live coverage for a Jets training camp practice ... but not our own which is going on at the same time.

Seriously, the NY media is going to have more than enough coverage of Brett's every pass and belch... we don't need our beat reporters there. Brett's a Jet, let it go.

Bring Rob Home!

We talk about him here because we care.

How Brett and the Jets perform will determine how Ted Thompson and the Packers are viewed.

Don't think that the New York media and national media will not write negative articles about "who screwed up" and did the wrong thing.

At the least Brett will pad his record numbers. The upside for the Packers is narrow.

Aaron Rogers can't escape it unless he moves on to another team.

This is more than a big political battle.

boiga
08-09-2008, 03:41 PM
This is more than a big political battle. Uhm... no this is really much much less than a political battle. It's football. It won't pay for health insurance or bring peace to the middle east.

My point is that Favre is not playing for the Packers, so Packers media is wasting time by covering him. If they want to use an AP report of how he's doing out east to keep Favre fans up to date, fine. It's not like there is going to be a lack of coverage on the guy... In any case, Rob Demovsky really ought to go home.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-09-2008, 03:52 PM
I took a dump today.

Zool
08-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I took a dump today.

Went with the big E finally?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I took a dump today.

Went with the big E finally?

Wet and wild baby. :oops:

Patler
08-09-2008, 04:00 PM
How Brett and the Jets perform will determine how Ted Thompson and the Packers are viewed.

Don't think that the New York media and national media will not write negative articles about "who screwed up" and did the wrong thing.

At the least Brett will pad his record numbers. The upside for the Packers is narrow.

Aaron Rogers can't escape it unless he moves on to another team.

This is more than a big political battle.

It doesn't matter if Favre does well, I think the Packers have acknowledged that they expect he will. MM1, MM2 and TT will be viewed negatively only if Rodgers does poorly. If Rodgers does well and Favre also does well, the Packers will have gained a draft pick from a player they thought they lost to retirement anyway. Something for nothing, almost. If Favre plays only one or two more seasons, and Rodgers and/or Brohm play well, what have the Packers really lost?

If there is one thing NFL fans should realize, its that every team is faced with losing players they know are still good performers, for a myriad of reasons, sometimes financial, sometimes team chemistry, sometimes age, etc. A GM's job is to continually turn the roster over, sometimes a lot, sometimes only a little. He can do it with retirements, releases, trades and not signing free agents from his previous roster. Doing that is not always a matter of keeping the best that season. It has to be done also with a view to the future, short term and long term. Grading his success or failure on a single transaction, especially with a 39 year old player is too narrow minded, in my opinion.

packinpatland
08-09-2008, 04:06 PM
So........has Bretsky commented on the new avatar yet?

Love it!!!!!!

CaliforniaCheez
08-09-2008, 04:47 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/08/10/amd_favre_training.jpg

http://twitter.com/jetnation

"Standing o for brett. J e t s chant"

"Passing drills the crowd is going nuts."

"1St team on the field. Brett is looking sharp."

"Clowney just took one the distance."

"Favre to cotch - deep."

Notes from practice today.

Zool
08-09-2008, 04:49 PM
He's got a black armband. He's officially gone to the dark side.

I hope he does well and the Jets make the playoffs this season. #2 pick would be nice.

Iron Mike
08-09-2008, 05:10 PM

I wonder what Deanna will do when Brett finds himself a "Jersey Girl" to hook up with??? :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-09-2008, 05:40 PM

The boss is 60...i don't think anyone puts someone around 40 and a 60 year old as about the same age. :oops:

mraynrand
08-09-2008, 08:12 PM

The boss is 60...i don't think anyone puts someone around 40 and a 60 year old as about the same age. :oops:

60 is the new 40.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM

if you think I'm dumb, Letterman was talking about McCain being around during the Civil War. Ridiculous - no way is McCain that old.

motife
08-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Favre meets the Mafia.

If you look at the crowds it looks like a casting party for the Sopranos.

Some scary people. You're not in Kansas anymore Brett.

http://www.textually.org/tv/archives/images/set3/sopranos460.jpg

Joemailman
08-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm expecting that when I get up tomorrow morning, I'll be able to check out Packerrats.com and find an article about what Brett Favre had for breakfast.

GrnBay007
08-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Here's a report from a Jets fan at practice....

Great day, just got back. Awesome time, Favre looked really good. Clemens had no timing with the receivers and was bouncing balls all over the place. Favre was on the money.

It was friggin HOT. And crowded. I am not sure what the official head count was but there were thousands of people there. Some people by me got there at 8:30am. It truly was Standing Room Only.

Some guy yells as Kerry Rhodes runs by, Kerry it wasn't this crowded last week. Kerry started cracking up and nodded in agreement.

One note about Favre -- everyone knows about his arm strength. And it is certainly impressive. The fear was conditioning and picking up the play book.

Conditioning - He looks like he is in pretty good shape. Leberfeld made a big deal on the NFL Network because Brett didn't take part in any off season conditioning program. You don't play as many games in a row as this guy has without knowing how to keep yourself in shape. And he ran around for two hours, so I wouldn't worry about his conditioning, he looks good.

One other note about the play book. Wherever Brett was, there was a coach or player helping him out. They did work early on with formations. And a lot of passing later on. When Brett wasn't under center, he was still working.

The point? He is going to pick this up quick.

Packers4Ever
08-10-2008, 12:00 AM
When I checked earlier at 2:20 WI time, they hadn't added the packer TC post yet.

Nevertheless, we don't really need to know that Favre ran around and stretched in a practice, do we?

For those who care about Brett's immediate future, PFT is saying that he'll start in the Jets next preseason game. http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Some people may not need or care to know about Brett's first day(s) boiga,
but Brett Favre was the Green Bay Packer's QB for sixteen-some years with a full stadium every Sunday afternoon. Don't you think these people might be just a little bit interested in hearing how he's doing?

We always have the option of choosing to read - or not to read - any or all stories or articles in the papers.

LL2
08-10-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm expecting that when I get up tomorrow morning, I'll be able to check out Packerrats.com and find an article about what Brett Favre had for breakfast.

Yup, his morning breakfast has been posted.

prsnfoto
08-11-2008, 09:39 AM

You are right on the bar I work at part-time took so many calls Thursday and Friday that the boss got the NFL ticket and we will dedicate 2 of our 7 big screens to the Jets games. I know from your posts you are a true Packer fan but I must say for whatever reason women are taking this much harder than men several I have served drinks to in the last week have stated they will never watch the Pack again and some have literally threatened to kill TT. I find this with Brewer fans also now that they have some young hot guys there is a swelling(haha) of female fans, I mentioned that Hardy finally got a hit after his huge slump the other night and this chick nearly tore my head off, he can do no wrong and she wants to have his babies.

mission
08-11-2008, 01:10 PM

You are right on the bar I work at part-time took so many calls Thursday and Friday that the boss got the NFL ticket and we will dedicate 2 of our 7 big screens to the Jets games. I know from your posts you are a true Packer fan but I must say for whatever reason women are taking this much harder than men several I have served drinks to in the last week have stated they will never watch the Pack again and some have literally threatened to kill TT. I find this with Brewer fans also now that they have some young hot guys there is a swelling(haha) of female fans, I mentioned that Hardy finally got a hit after his huge slump the other night and this chick nearly tore my head off, he can do no wrong and she wants to have his babies.

Yeah, the blind female faith regarding all of this makes me laugh heartily...

GBRulz and PIP are the best examples.

Zig, she's pretty level headed. I like her.

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Why does it have to be 'blind female faith?' Isn't it possible that these gals, like some of the men here, actually think Favre is a pretty good QB even now, and that the GM is making a mistake? Count me in - as I've said, I hope they're wrong, and perhaps they're looking long-term (which could be another mistake), but it's their choice. Having the opinion that they're wrong isn't necessarily determined by gender and calling it 'blind faith' is also an insult to their intelligence and football knowledge. Is Zig 'level-headed' because she agrees with you?

mission
08-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Why does it have to be 'blind female faith?' Isn't it possible that these gals, like some of the men here, actually think Favre is a pretty good QB even now, and that the GM is making a mistake? Count me in - as I've said, I hope they're wrong, and perhaps they're looking long-term (which could be another mistake), but it's their choice. Having the opinion that they're wrong isn't necessarily determined by gender and calling it 'blind faith' is also an insult to their intelligence and football knowledge. Is Zig 'level-headed' because she agrees with you?

Because I have been in discussions (with PIP) especially where 28 other people argued quite logically and balanced against a point that made no sense multiple times.

Zig rarely agrees with me (in fact, she thinks I'm an idiot). So that's not it.

Arguing without emotional and full disregard to logic isn't limited to strictly females. Plenty of other folks do it up here too ... but the whole "OMG BRETT WE LOVE YOU" shit is just ridiculous. It's football. They don't care about YOU ...

You can paint it how you want, you can stick up for "them" if you want but it doesn't matter.

Should I rot in hell because I also don't like women sports casters on ESPN with cliche after cliche?

Call me what you want, but Im not the only one ... just maybe the only one who will say anything.

There's really nothing to say with this. It's an opinion, it's slightly dated and it's marginally offensive (VERY FUCKIN OFFENSE TO FEMALES OMG I CANT BELIEVE HE SAID THAT LET ME PUT DOWN MY WINE AND LET HIM HAVE IT OMTM!@%!%#! BRETTTTT!!!) but it's my opinion.

Keep trying mraynrand, you might get a hug at the posters game...

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM

Because I have been in discussions (with PIP) especially where 28 other people argued quite logically and balanced against a point that made no sense multiple times.

Zig rarely agrees with me (in fact, she thinks I'm an idiot). So that's not it.

Arguing without emotional and full disregard to logic isn't limited to strictly females. Plenty of other folks do it up here too ... but the whole "OMG BRETT WE LOVE YOU" shit is just ridiculous. It's football. They don't care about YOU ...

You can paint it how you want, you can stick up for "them" if you want but it doesn't matter.

Should I rot in hell because I also don't like women sports casters on ESPN with cliche after cliche?

Call me what you want, but Im not the only one ... just maybe the only one who will say anything.

There's really nothing to say with this. It's an opinion, it's slightly dated and it's marginally offensive (VERY FUCKIN OFFENSE TO FEMALES OMG I CANT BELIEVE HE SAID THAT LET ME PUT DOWN MY WINE AND LET HIM HAVE IT OMTM!@%!%#! BRETTTTT!!!) but it's my opinion.

Keep trying mraynrand, you might get a hug at the posters game...

LOL. I won't be at the posters game, but I see where you're coming from. (No HUGS for YOU!). I draw the line at the "My Brett " treacle from Dianna on MNF. As Bill the Cat would say: ACKPHHTH!

mission
08-11-2008, 01:42 PM
At the route Im going, I might have to act like Im a "new poster" when I get up there in October ...

vs...

"oh YOOOOOOUREEEE MISSSION!?!?! *sista finger z-snap* ooooooo nawwww you diiiiii'in!!!"

:P

boiga
08-11-2008, 01:49 PM
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. --Today will be the last day of live Press-Gazette coverage from New York Jets training camp.

Hey, I'm getting my wish. Come on home Rob!

HowardRoark
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Isn't it possible that these gals, like some of the men here, actually think Favre is a pretty good QB even now, and that the GM is making a mistake? Count me in - as I've said, I hope they're wrong, and perhaps they're looking long-term (which could be another mistake), but it's their choice.

Dear Ted;

The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead.

John Maynard Keynes

Bretsky
08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO PUT THIS AND DIDN'T WANT TO CREATE ANOTHER THREAD

A GOOD ARTICLE IF YOU ARE STILL A FAN OF BRETT FAVRE

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-favresnewreceivers&prov=ap&type=lgns

GrnBay007
08-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Nice to hear he still has it and the receivers are excited.

Pugger
08-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Nothing against Brett, but I really don't care what he's doing at the Jets' TC. He isn the QB of my favorite team. It is getting nausiating how BSPN just fawns all over Favre! Will we have to hear of every pass he throws in practice for heavens' sake (or if he has to run a lap after a mistake)? :talk: Lord help us all if he gets a hang nail! :roll:

gex
08-11-2008, 10:56 PM
DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO PUT THIS AND DIDN'T WANT TO CREATE ANOTHER THREAD

A GOOD ARTICLE IF YOU ARE STILL A FAN OF BRETT FAVRE

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-favresnewreceivers&prov=ap&type=lgns

Thanks for the link B.

Bretsky
08-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Nothing against Brett, but I really don't care what he's doing at the Jets' TC. He isn the QB of my favorite team. It is getting nausiating how BSPN just fawns all over Favre! Will we have to hear of every pass he throws in practice for heavens' sake (or if he has to run a lap after a mistake)? :talk: Lord help us all if he gets a hang nail! :roll:

Exactly why I didn't start a new thread......partly so the anti group does not get irked and partly so most would not complain

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Brett who?