PDA

View Full Version : Garcia, Griese, Pennington, Simms

Fritz
08-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I've been fascinated by the Packers' apparent interests - or lack thereof - in some of these players. Apparently - and this is based on "sources," the Packers were offered Simms and a pick by Tampa but wanted Griese and a pick. That surprises me.

Also, lots of fans on this site seemed to have their eyes on Garcia. He may be physically the best of the bunch, but I saw him in Detroit and he's a snake. He was quite good at throwing people under the proverbial bus while slyly pretending he was not doing that. I don't want him.

Pennington seems to have been of zero interest to the Pack, perhaps because he can only throw the ball ten yards and is not familiar with the west coast offense, I don't think.

I myself was kinda intrigued by Simms, but what do I know? I thought David Carr was going to be a good NFL QB.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2008, 02:52 PM
i like Garcia because he is a tough little shit, very smart.

Guiness
08-09-2008, 04:03 PM
i like Garcia because he is a tough little shit, very smart.

Ya, you would like him...he is half wetback. We all know your unrequited love for all things Mexican :twisted:

I think Garcia would be the best fit, if he was ok with being a #2. But if the snake we saw in Detroit and Cleveland is his real persona, Rodgers will be pulling daggers out of his back sooner rather than later.

A lot of posters seem to be hot for Simms, but what has he done really? And he sure has gotten himself entrenched in Chucky's doghouse. Pennington I would've like him, but off the board now.

So, Griese would be my choice here. Although a couple of other guys out there I like are Culpepper, Losman and yes, maybe Carr for another go-round.

Mmmm, I wonder if Flutie could be lured back?

Joemailman
08-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I voted Garcia, but he and Pennington will be starting for other teams. I wouldn't mind Griese as a backup. Brohm can't complete 50% of his passes in practice, si I suspect TT will sign someone after the Cincy game unless Brohm improves markedly.

pbmax
08-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Pennington as a backup. Vet who is smart and makes few mistakes. Garcia is older and his game relies more on athleticism. Bigger injury risk.

mission
08-09-2008, 06:30 PM
why did my post get deleted?

gbgary
08-09-2008, 09:40 PM
simms is no veteran. besides that he REALLY sucks!

oregonpackfan
08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Sims is still young but he has more upside than Griese. I doubt if the Dolphins will part with Pennington or the Bucs will part with Garcia.

A veteran QB I would support the Packers signing as the #2 would be either Culpepper of Leftwich. They are both still available.

Zool
08-09-2008, 10:09 PM
As someone else said, Garcia and Pennington are pretty much untouchable. Simms plays with a ton of heart and he's been in a WCO from the start. He's won some games in the league. He does seem to get hit a lot, but then so does Griese. I've just never been a fan of Griese.

Joemailman
08-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Sims is still young but he has more upside than Griese. I doubt if the Dolphins will part with Pennington or the Bucs will part with Garcia.

A veteran QB I would support the Packers signing as the #2 would be either Culpepper of Leftwich. They are both still available.

Not any more. http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=444019

oregonpackfan
08-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Not any more.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=444019

Wow! The Steelers signed both Culpepper and Leftwich?! That is interesting.

Which one of them will end up being #2 do you think?

Bretsky
08-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I voted Garcia......but he would not want to be here to "backup" our current QB

texaspackerbacker
08-10-2008, 12:12 AM
None of the Above!

We don't need no stinkin' veteran backup! I'm pretty sure I speak for Thompson/McCarthy/Murphy in saying that too.

Brohm and Flynn can do the job just fine; I'd really hate to lose one of them just to pick up some over the hill vet.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Brohm and Flynn can do the job just fine

based on what? How many rookies come into the NFL ready to function as starting QBs?

texaspackerbacker
08-10-2008, 12:30 AM

based on what? How many rookies come into the NFL ready to function as starting QBs?

How about based on the fact that the GM and Coach who gave us 13-3/14-4/a five game improvement a year ago, contrary to what all the media assholes expected, seem to think so?

I don't claim to know more than the Packer leadership--like some in here seem to, I just claim to know more than those media assholes.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2008, 12:35 AM
TT may yet bring-in a vet, it's a month until the regular season.

Badgerinmaine
08-10-2008, 07:01 AM
I voted for Pennington, but it's a moot point because he just signed an $11.5 million over two years with the Dolphins, where it looks like he will start:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/preview/2008/08/08/dolphins.pennington.ap/index.html?section=si_latest

So there's one former starter who really WILL get the chance to take it to his old team twice a year in the division. :mrgreen:

The Leaper
08-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Garcia is clearly better than anyone else on this list IMO...but I don't see him being available.

Of the others...bleh. I'm not overly impressed with any of them. If I had to take one, it would probably be Pennington...as he has the smarts to manage a game or two here and there and give you a chance to win as a backup.

Rastak
08-10-2008, 08:16 AM

How about based on the fact that the GM and Coach who gave us 13-3/14-4/a five game improvement a year ago, contrary to what all the media assholes expected, seem to think so?

I don't claim to know more than the Packer leadership--like some in here seem to, I just claim to know more than those media assholes.

Dude, they ain't the pope. Don't you ever think for yourself? These guys are not right 100% of the time and you know it. I'm personally very surprised they didn't get a vet to back up Rodgers. Does going into the season with the combined starts of all qb's sitting at zero not trouble you even a little bit? No, I suppose it wouldn't...as the english would say, "then it wouldn't be cricket".

The Leaper
08-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm shocked Thompson is saying that he isn't considering a veteran QB...I think it is a very dumb move IMO.

Lurker64
08-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm shocked Thompson is saying that he isn't considering a veteran QB...I think it is a very dumb move IMO.

What he says and what he's actually doing aren't necessarily related. Good GMs frequently lie through their teeth at every opportunity, especially to the media. Ron Wolf was legendary as a liar and general obfuscator of the truth.

Guiness
08-10-2008, 04:11 PM

What he says and what he's actually doing aren't necessarily related. Good GMs frequently lie through their teeth at every opportunity, especially to the media. Ron Wolf was legendary as a liar and general obfuscator of the truth.

*Ding Ding Ding Ding* We have a winner Bob :D

I think he may or may not pick up a vet QB to back up Rodgers. Based on his past actions, such as only carrying 2 QB's last year...I'm starting to think either:

1. He thinks the QB pos'n isn't that important, and you can plug another guy in there as long as everything around him is ok (not likely)

2. He thinks if we lose our starter, we're screwed anyways, and some stop gap vet won't help.

And regardless of which he believes, he thinks the money and roster spot is better spent elsewhere.

DonHutson
08-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Not that he's available now, but I would've taken Garcia. If Brohm and Flynn pan out as expected, you only really need a veteren for a year at the most.

I think Simms would be kind of interesting as well. He's got a little starting experience, and I think he still has a chance to develop. I'm not sure his upside is higher than Brohm's though.

Pennington would be a decent #2. Griese does nothing for me.

Fritz
08-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Maybe TT really, really likes Flynn and does not want to take a chance on losing him, so he's got to keep both.

And maybe he's really, really crossing his fingers that Rodgers stays healthy.

A fine strategy.

Guiness
08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
That's always possible Fritz.

He tried to stash Clowney last year...and he might be starting for the Jets this year.

AtlPackFan
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I've been fascinated by the Packers' apparent interests - or lack thereof - in some of these players. Apparently - and this is based on "sources," the Packers were offered Simms and a pick by Tampa but wanted Griese and a pick. That surprises me.

Also, lots of fans on this site seemed to have their eyes on Garcia. He may be physically the best of the bunch, but I saw him in Detroit and he's a snake. He was quite good at throwing people under the proverbial bus while slyly pretending he was not doing that. I don't want him.

Pennington seems to have been of zero interest to the Pack, perhaps because he can only throw the ball ten yards and is not familiar with the west coast offense, I don't think.

I myself was kinda intrigued by Simms, but what do I know? I thought David Carr was going to be a good NFL QB.

I think David Carr was drafted by the wrong team at the wrong time. Who knows how Favre would have ended up if he had stayed in Atlanta?

I voted Garcia...I didn't remember him throwing people under the bus except when him and T.O. got into in SanFran.

MadtownPacker
08-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Looks like Brohm is not gonna cut it as the backup for this year. Get someone Ted, anyone.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Pennington would be a decent #2. Griese does nothing for me.

I agree that Griese might be the least desirable of the four options listed. But he might be the best available, in fact, he might be better than the available alternatives.

A lot of teams are looking for a vet backup to spring loose. The Pro Football Report guy said that Culpepper is still on the market because teams are waiting for better vets to get cut.

We need to have low expectations, there aren't 32 good backups in the league, and we will be picking through the castoffs beneath that group.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Looks like Brohm is not gonna cut it as the backup for this year. Get someone Ted, anyone.

Agreed. That was the biggest negative from tonight. I thought we looked fine for the first preseason game, but my gut tells me that we'll need to get a veteran QB as a backup.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2008, 11:49 PM

Agreed. That was the biggest negative from tonight. I thought we looked fine for the first preseason game, but my gut tells me that we'll need to get a veteran QB as a backup.

It's not even necessarily a negative. Think of it as a helpful and timely kick in the ass for Ted Thompson. Or maybe TT was just waiting to deal for a vet at end of preseason.

MadtownPacker
08-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Agreed. That was the biggest negative from tonight. I thought we looked fine for the first preseason game, but my gut tells me that we'll need to get a veteran QB as a backup.I guess youre right. I cant really find anything else that didnt look decent at worst. Not a big problem to have since Flynn really looked good IMO..

boiga
08-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm giving Brohm a pass for tonight. Apparently the receivers screwed up their routes and weren't where they should have been. Because of that, his first play at the NFL level goes disastrously wrong. He then has a mediocre rest of the night.

That's understandable to me. I say give him one more chance.