PDA

View Full Version : Pennington Better Deep Than Favre?

pbmax
08-10-2008, 07:15 AM
ProFootballTalk Link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/09/chad-better-than-brett-on-the-long-ball/)

Source ESPN Article (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-2-47/Chad-better-than-Brett-on-long-balls.html)

CHAD BETTER THAN BRETT ON THE LONG BALL?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 9, 2008, 11:44 p.m. EDT

On Saturday, Jets quarterback Brett Favre addressed the perception that his predecessor, Chad Pennington, has an arm like a limp, um, noodle.

“I think every time I’ve faced Chad, I’ve lost,” Favre said. “He’s played extremely well. . . . In Green Bay a couple of years ago, he played outstanding. I have nothing but the highest regard for Chad. [He is an] extremely bright guy. The knock on him was his arm wasn’t that strong. So what? I can throw it through a wall, but I don’t win every game I play in. It doesn’t matter. He’s very effective.”

Favre likely doesn’t realize just how right on the money he is. Per Tim Graham of ESPN.com, the Elias Sports Bureau has crunched the numbers for quarterbacks based on attempts of more than 20 yards over the past four years.

Pennington’s passer rating on such plays? A whopping 107.7. Favre, in contrast, falls nearly four points south of the Kordoza line, at 66.9.

Due in part to the fact that Favre has played in 64 games as opposed to 40 from Pennington, Favre has 290 attempts of more than 20 yards, and Pennington has only 108. But Pennington has thrown only four interceptions on 20-plus-yard attempts. Favre has chucked 35.

Favre also is accurate in his perception of never beating Pennington. In 2002, the Jets trounced the Packers, 42-17. Pennington threw four touchdown passes and finished the day with a passer rating of 134.7. In 2006, Pennington was less effective, throwing two touchdown passes and two picks. But the Jets nevertheless trounced the Packers, 38-10.

Favre managed a passer rating of only 61.7 in the 2002 game against Pennington and the Jets. Favre was even worse in 2006, with a dreadful passer rating of 53.0.

For his career, Favre was 1-3 against the Jets. All time, the Packers have beaten the Jets twice, and have lost to them eight times.

The Leaper
08-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Great deep pass plays are the result of 2 things...a great run game to play fake off (especially in terms of short yardage) and tall receivers who are good at going up for the ball.

In 2005 and 2006...and even into 2007, we did not possess a great run game and were mediocre on short yardage. We also have not had any real size at the receiver position. Driver and Jennings are great at taking a 8-12 yard slant and turning it into a 50 yarder...but in terms of going 20+ yards downfield and making a catch? That isn't their strong point.

However, there is no doubt that Favre struggled as a deep passer. Most of his bonehead mistakes came on deep passes.

bobblehead
08-10-2008, 09:20 AM
You both make good points. I really always like pennington...guy seems to find the open man, sort of like kelly holcomb every time he has spent more than a season with a team....but when a guy gets exposed for a semi weak arm and teams game plan for him it is difficult for him to have the success of a favre who can zip it past a defender in tight coverage.

pbmax
08-10-2008, 09:37 AM
The Jets have not been much of a menace with their running game for a while either. But since Pennington went deep far fewer times, the Jets O hasn't been much of a threat either, save for 2006.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Brett has never thrown a great deep ball...specifically the bomb..for whatever reason. This has been talked about for years.

Prettiest deep ball was Ricky Blake's.

bobblehead
08-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Jeff Blake?? the former bengal right...if that is the same guy I'm thinking I concur.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Jeff Blake?? the former bengal right...if that is the same guy I'm thinking I concur.

Yes, former bengal.

Rest of his game wasn't that good...but, man did he have a pretty bomb.

texaspackerbacker
08-10-2008, 07:58 PM
The thing that always bothered me about Favre on deep passes and even when he really hums in a fastball, is that he doesn't have a quick release. He has always had to load up to really fire it. As he became less mobile with age, that became more of a factor. The Packers masked it with short dropsand short patterns in a lot of cases, but that served to limit the options of the offense. All that being said, though, I still can't see how Pennington and his notoriously weak arm could be a better long passer than Favre.

I'm looking forward to seeing Rodgers with his quicker smoother release--more like Brady or Marino. THAT is why I was so much in favor of Rodgers instead of Favre--the less limitations on the offense--not to mention the fact that the coach and GM who brought us 13-3/14-4 seem to think Rodgers will do better.

VegasPackFan
08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
One big problem with this article:

In the Jets' world a 20 YD pass is considered a deep ball.

For the last 16 years in GB, that is just a dump off pass.

I'll bet that every poster on this forum can throw a 20 yd ball with little to no effort. For Pennington that was a heave ho!

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2008, 10:41 PM
There are lies, damn lies, and stats.

Likely explanation: look at his 20+ yard attempts. He doesn't have many. My guess is that Pennington, with his noodle arm, doesn't risk going down the field unless a guy is wide open.

The fact they went with only 20 yards is another thing that likely skews the stats.

bobblehead
08-10-2008, 10:43 PM

I'll bet that every poster on this forum can throw a 20 yd ball with little to no effort. For Pennington that was a heave ho!

I think its unlikely that anyone on this forum can throw an NFL football 20 yards with any effectiveness. Maybe some of the younger guys if they are athletic, but by about 32-33 I could not toss the NFL ball 20 yards with any accuracy.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I think its unlikely that anyone on this forum can throw an NFL football 20 yards with any effectiveness. Maybe some of the younger guys if they are athletic, but by about 32-33 I could not toss the NFL ball 20 yards with any accuracy.

You suck. The arm is the last thing to go. I can throw a football at 38 damn near the same as when I was 22. My problem: I can't run nearly as fast and my stamina blows.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
bobblehead throws like a girl

BallHawk
08-10-2008, 10:51 PM
The only way to settle this is a game of football the day before the Posters' Game.

Harv QBs one team, Bobble the other.

Loser gets cut and has to sign with Miami.

VegasPackFan
08-11-2008, 01:27 AM
At 40 I can still throw 40yds no problem, and usually will hit a guy in stride with that. Accuracy at 20 yds is nothing - seriously.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2008, 01:39 AM
The only way to settle this is a game of football the day before the Posters' Game.

If I'm there, I'm always up for giving Tarlam some "Favre finger."
:D

mission
08-11-2008, 02:31 AM

im the qb for one of the top atlanta men's league 7 on 7 passing teams ... sounds kinda silly but we have all sorts of ex D1 guys in the league.... sec country. fun stuff! (im 27 tho.. you old bastards) I was throwing to Demarious Bilbo for much of last fall.. he's bounced around as a cowboy and all that... great guy, i hope his knee lets him back in the league!

MJZiggy
08-11-2008, 06:34 AM

If I'm there, I'm always up for giving Tarlam some "Favre finger."
:D

I'm so afraid to ask...