06-14-2006, 11:30 PM
I always liked Diggs, good for him I guess,
here is an article from the Charlotte Observer

Diggs can fill gap at linebacker
Ex-Packer discovers weather, competition hotter with Panthers
STAN OLSON
solson@charlotteobserver.com

Na'il Diggs

One of the first things former Green Bay linebacker Na'il Diggs did when he signed as a free agent with the Carolina Panthers was ditch his cold-weather gear.

"I got rid of all my heavy coats, man. It felt great," he said, laughing. "Gloves and boots and all that stuff, just gave 'em away."

While the South's warmer weather was enticing, Diggs said the main draw was the team. After the Packers' recent struggles, he was looking for a winner.

"I'm just used to winning," he said recently after a workout. "I want to continue to win football games and put myself in the right position to excel in the future."

If the Panthers are to continue to win, their linebackers must be a key. But the position -- worrisome when weakside starter Will Witherspoon left as a free agent and strongside starter Brandon Short was released -- has seen a flood of reinforcements.

Diggs is among them, and the likely starter at weakside linebacker. But he's just part of the story.

"I know we've got a lot more depth than we've had in the past," said middle linebacker Dan Morgan, the key to the unit. "We've got a lot of veteran guys in there that might not know our system yet but have been there and have played and have been productive."

There is second-year player Thomas Davis, the Panthers' 2005 top draft pick. Shuttled between safety and linebacker last season, Davis has started on the strong side (opposite the tight end) during these voluntary workouts.

That's something of a surprise, because in the offseason many observers thought Carolina would use Davis' quickness to replace Witherspoon. Morgan, though, understands the move.

"I think we want to use Thomas more as a rusher, more in (former strong side linebacker) Mark Fields' mold than the 'Spoon mold," Morgan said. "Kind of blitz him a little more."

Diggs, who has started at both outside linebacker slots, brings considerable experience to the weak side. Although not yet 28, he started 62 consecutive games for Green Bay. He was bothered by knee injuries last season, but topped 100 tackles each year from 2002 through '04.

"Something I definitely took into consideration was the opportunity to start and make a name for myself in the NFL, get back on top where I want to be," Diggs said. "I knew before I got here that they play great defense here, not only at linebacker but D-line to the secondary, and they play good hard football.

"That's what I love about being here, and what I love about the scheme and the players. I'm hoping for the best for our whole (linebacker) corps this year. I'm hoping we can be one of the top corps in the NFL."

Diggs will be pushed by ex-Clemson star Keith Adams, who had 101 tackles for Philadelphia last year. Chris Draft, a former starter in Atlanta who filled in ably at times in 2005, adds quality depth in the middle and on the strong side.

And the coaches are high on James Anderson, the third-round draft pick from Virginia Tech.

"He reminds me a lot of Will Witherspoon. He's an athletic guy and hopefully he can help us out," Morgan said.

Adam Seward, Vinny Ciurciu and Sean Tufts are young and provide depth.

Before you get too excited, though, safety Mike Minter called the group "very young" and added a few words of caution.

"We had Will Witherspoon and Brandon Short -- very smart, veteran guys who had been around," he said. "Now we pretty much have a rookie who's in there, and a guy who's trying to pick up our system from another football team. It's going to be tough, it's going to be difficult, but I think these guys can stand up to the challenge."

The learning will take some time. But that's what these voluntary workouts -- and the training camp that will follow in August -- are for.

Someone asked Morgan if this is as good a bunch of linebackers the Panthers have had since he's been here.

"I think it can be," he said. "We'll know a lot more once we get into camp and everybody knows what they're doing and we've got the pads on. Then I think we'll really be able to tell what we're all about."

Bretsky
06-14-2006, 11:44 PM
This insn't surprising; Diggs was a decent starter when healthy. For whatever reason the coaches and/or GM soured on him last year because even when he was ready to play they didn't use him. He needed a fresh start and I'm glad he's doing well in Carolina.

Harlan Huckleby
06-14-2006, 11:45 PM
I really liked Diggs. But that was 2 years ago.

Patler
06-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Remember how satisfying it was to have Diggs come in, start as a rookie and play very well? He certainly wasn't a liability as a rookie.

Bretsky
06-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Remember how satisfying it was to have Diggs come in, start as a rookie and play very well? He certainly wasn't a liability as a rookie.

Last year was a mystery to me; maybe he just was not happy with GB (memories about how he wanted to be a flippin Lion come back) or maybe TT just wanted to go another way.

Patler
06-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Last year was a mystery to me; maybe he just was not happy with GB (memories about how he wanted to be a flippin Lion come back) or maybe TT just wanted to go another way.

I think MCL sprains in both knees within about 6 weeks was just too much to overcome in late November and December. He just couldn't run, had no quickness, etc. Had it been just the one, I think he would have been back in the starting lineup.

mmmdk
06-15-2006, 02:08 AM

I really like the current GBP LBs - I really liked Diggs too. But that was 1 year ago. Beat ya by a year blue dog. :lol:

Why am I an "undrafted rat" ? Is it the Euro thing? :smile:

Rastak
06-15-2006, 06:28 AM

I really like the current GBP LBs - I really liked Diggs too. But that was 1 year ago. Beat ya by a year blue dog. :lol:

Why am I an "undrafted rat" ? Is it the Euro thing? :smile:

A 14 post thing me thinks...... :mrgreen:

KYPack
06-15-2006, 07:38 AM

As mentioned he was hurt, both knees dinged.

The main thing was his contract. He was going to get paid big time this season. They almost had to cut him, based on his contract. That's one of the anomalies of the NFL system. Tha Pack were short linebackers, and they were the only team in the NFL that COULDN'T sign Diggs.

I wish the guy well, too. I am glad we are moving on, better to get a young guy the experience rather than hang on to the aging vet.

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Diggs has a few decent years left. I wouldn't be surprised if he started and looked solid in that defense. I still think cutting him was the right thing to do--even though I liked the former Buckeye. At this point, Taylor is probably as good as Diggs for this system, and he makes a lot less money. Down the line, Barnett, Hawk, and Hodge could make a formidable trio.

The Leaper
06-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Diggs is a solid LB when healthy...but he always gets dinged up. He should fit in well on a Carolina defense where he isn't forced to make plays. Diggs is better when he can just play fundamental football and not feel pressured to make big plays...because he's not a huge playmaker.

With the lack of playmakers in our front 7...we needed to find something else at LB. It wasn't that we let Diggs go because he wasn't good...he just didn't fit the situation the Packers are facing right now.

Patler
06-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Funny thing about Diggs, the impression is that he was hurt a lot, but he always played. Until last year, he played in 75 of a possible 80 games his first five years. He missed three ganmes as a rookie in 2000, and two games in 2004. In '01, '02 and '03 he did not miss a game.

Seems like he has been around a long time, too. But he has only played six seasons. He has played three years more than Barnett, two more than Kampman, and the same as KGB. He could play another 5 or 6 years, easily, if his knees have recovered.

Kiwon
06-15-2006, 08:54 AM
I think Diggs was more durable than he is credited for. He made several good plays for the Packers was a good locker room guy. He didn't fit into the Packers plan but that doesn't mean that he still can't play.

pbmax
06-15-2006, 09:08 AM
I though Na'il was a better strong-side backer than weak, but I always loved his attitude. It will be intersting to see if he can make as many plays as Witherspoon did last year.

Fritz
06-17-2006, 06:39 AM
I liked Diggs but it doesn't sound like Carolina's touting him as an All-pro. Just a guy with a chance to start.

What was more interesting to me was the bit about Thomas Davis. Lots of posters here were yelling for the Pack to draft the guy. But look at him now - he got shuffled around last year and now they're trying something else. Doesn't sound like he set it on fire as a rook, does it?

Bretsky
06-17-2006, 08:18 AM
I liked Diggs but it doesn't sound like Carolina's touting him as an All-pro. Just a guy with a chance to start.

What was more interesting to me was the bit about Thomas Davis. Lots of posters here were yelling for the Pack to draft the guy. But look at him now - he got shuffled around last year and now they're trying something else. Doesn't sound like he set it on fire as a rook, does it?

FRITZ,

I was one of those guys; from Georgia I dreamed of Green Bay drafting Thomas Davis and then Odell Thurman.......but of course I knew that would not happen.

I also remember getting in a vehement argument with a JS Online guy named Balls2Walls who was a bit obnoxious IMO in telling me Thomas Davis would not be drafted til round two and if I didn't believe that I didn't really know my head from my @ss. As I expected he was long gone by Green Bay's pick in round one so I was doing my Odell Thurman chants.

Truth be told, Thomas Davis was getting grooved as a blitzing LB when a couple safeties were injured so he ended up having to play a lot of Safety.
He was alright, but they bounced him back from one position to the next so it's unfair to judge him and a bit of credit for him to be flexible to keep flipping.

If you recall he had 4.55 speed and was an incrediby hard hitter at S when he was drafted and sure tackler. I can't remember who, but if memory serves me right he injured one of our players. He's still the type of guy I want suited up for Green Bay.

My view of him hasn't soured at all.

B