PDA

View Full Version : Donald Driver: Hall Of Famer?

Joemailman
08-10-2008, 09:22 AM
We all know Favre will be there someday, but could Driver join him? If Driver can average about 1000 yards for the next three seasons, he will have 10,000 yards for his career, which I think is a magic number. Also, if he can continue to excel with the change at quarterback, his reputation will be enhanced.

On the negative side, age is creeping up. Because Donald wasn't much of a factor his first 3 years, he needs to be productive well into his 30's to make up for the lost time. Additionally, he runs the risk of guys like Jones and Nelson taking receptions away from him. It remains to be seen whether he can develop he kind of rapport with Rodgers that he had with Favre. Finally, Driver has never been a big TD guy, which may cause some voters to pass him off as a possession receiver. This perception kept Art Monk out for a long time.

I think 3 more productive years would put Driver in. 10,000 yards would be hard to ignore.

MJZiggy
08-10-2008, 09:24 AM
He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of slowing down so far, so I'm on board with that...

bobblehead
08-10-2008, 09:28 AM
I doubt it based on the facts. I would love to see it though. Gotta remember he came out of college a nobody....fair or not, that seems to mater. he hasn't won a superbowl...YET!! He isn't a household name really. Those things all factor in. I don't think even 3 1k years do it, getting to the bowl 2x in the next three and him having big games there...that might.

Joemailman
08-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I would argue that one reason he isn't a household name is because he was always overshadowed by Favre. If he excels with Rodgers, I think he'll get more recognition than he used to. I agree that having a big game to win the Super Bowl would greatly enhance his chances.

PlantPage55
08-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I would argue that one reason he isn't a household name is because he was always overshadowed by Favre. If he excels with Rodgers, I think he'll get more recognition than he used to. I agree that having a big game to win the Super Bowl would greatly enhance his chances.

He would need a bunch more TDs each season to though, I would think.

Bretsky
08-10-2008, 10:02 AM
We all know Favre will be there someday, but could Driver join him? If Driver can average about 1000 yards for the next three seasons, he will have 10,000 yards for his career, which I think is a magic number. Also, if he can continue to excel with the change at quarterback, his reputation will be enhanced.

On the negative side, age is creeping up. Because Donald wasn't much of a factor his first 3 years, he needs to be productive well into his 30's to make up for the lost time. Additionally, he runs the risk of guys like Jones and Nelson taking receptions away from him. It remains to be seen whether he can develop he kind of rapport with Rodgers that he had with Favre. Finally, Driver has never been a big TD guy, which may cause some voters to pass him off as a possession receiver. This perception kept Art Monk out for a long time.

I think 3 more productive years would put Driver in. 10,000 yards would be hard to ignore.

About a year back I did a statistical analysis of where Driver is right now compared to some Hall of Famers and argued with some enhanced numbers he might be able to get in. I wish I had the energy to find that thread but I'm too lazy.

But paramount to Driver measuring up to those statistic were some liberal assumptions for TD's per year.

Driver had another down year for touchdowns and that is often the stat that pushed HOF'ers over.

He won't cut it cause he doesn't have enough TD's.

Lurker64
08-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Surely Donald will catch some of Aaron Rodgers's 52 TD passes this year...

Patler
08-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Packer HOF is about the best Driver will see, unless he puts together some phenomenal years in his mid 30's. He needs 3-4000 yards and 30-40 TDs to really have much of a shot at even being considered for the NFL HOF, because his stats will have to overcome relative personal obscurity. Chances are, by the time his name comes up for consideration, many voters will have forgotten who he was or where he played. He's just not a household name.

falco
08-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Packer HOF is about the best Driver will see, unless he puts together some phenomenal years in his mid 30's. He needs 3-4000 yards and 30-40 TDs to really have much of a shot at even being considered for the NFL HOF, because his stats will have to overcome relative personal obscurity. Chances are, by the time his name comes up for consideration, many voters will have forgotten who he was or where he played. He's just not a household name.

one might also argue the dearth of talent at WR could shorten his career in GB (i.e., they may not cling to him a year or two past his prime)

Lurker64
08-10-2008, 10:51 AM

one might also argue the dearth of talent at WR could shorten his career in GB (i.e., they may not cling to him a year or two past his prime)

FYI, "dearth" means lack or scarcity. I think we have quite a bit of talent at WR, it's not lacking at all. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to inform.

falco
08-10-2008, 11:00 AM

FYI, "dearth" means lack or scarcity. I think we have quite a bit of talent at WR, it's not lacking at all. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to inform.

holy crap falco just got owned

thats okay you learn something new everday

i meant to say abundance

i don't think i ever used the word dearth before - not sure where that came from

Guiness
08-10-2008, 11:29 AM

holy crap falco just got owned

thats okay you learn something new everday

i meant to say abundance

i don't think i ever used the word dearth before - not sure where that came from

You would think that having Jennings there, getting his share of TD throws, would hurt DD's numbers a lot. And if Jones continues to emerge, more of the same. Like the 'running back by comitee' having 1a and 1b WRs as opposed a 1 and 2 should hurt the #1's numbers.

His TD numbers were certainly down, but he did get 80+ rec and 1000+yds.

KYPack
08-10-2008, 11:47 AM
The HOF is tough on receivers. Cris Carter was skipped his first year with close to 14K yds. Art monk was passed over for may years and many thought he's never get in.

I don't think DD makes it, but is a lock for Packer HOF.

As a player and a person.

mraynrand
08-10-2008, 11:51 AM
The HOF is tough on receivers. Cris Carter was skipped his first year with close to 14K yds. Art monk was passed over for may years and many thought he's never get in.

I don't think DD makes it, but is a lock for Packer HOF.

As a player and a person.

HOF for Driver? not a chance at present - KY Pack has it nailed. Maybe makes the Jacked up HOF. Love Driver. Would like to be there when he gets into the Packer HOF.

The Leaper
08-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't think Driver has any realistic chance of making it to Canton. He's a very good player...he's not a great player, at least in terms of league history.

DonHutson
08-10-2008, 01:44 PM
In addition to other arguments made, I would suggest that the 10,000 yard mark as a "magic number" is probably a moving target. More and more WR's rack up big numbers every year. 100 catches used to be truly remarkable, now a few guys will break that every year.

The perception just isn't there that Driver was a dominant WR. He's more likely to be seen as a very good player who benefitted from playing with Favre. I don't think he's more talented than guys like Robert Brooks or Antonio Freeman. He's just going to put up better numbers due to a longer career.

He should end up the Packer record holder for career receptions and maybe career receiving yards. Accomplishments to be proud of for sure. He'll always be remembered in Green Bay regardless of whether he gets into Canton.

mmmdk
08-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I love DD and I hope'n'believe he'll play for years still. He'll be a great member of the Packer hall of fame. Canton? Maybe but not realistically a thing I see happening.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-10-2008, 04:21 PM
DD in the HOF...c'mon you homers. This isn't even realistic.

Look at how long it took Monk to get in. DD is a nice receiver, but in this age...he isn't dominant at his position...Moss, Ocho Cinco, TO, etc.

The Leaper
08-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry, Ty...Ocho Cinco ain't getting there either unless he ups his game a whole bunch and does something in the playoffs.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Sorry, Ty...Ocho Cinco ain't getting there either unless he ups his game a whole bunch and does something in the playoffs.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Of course we can't predict the future, but based on what he has done so far:

Bengals recorder holder in: Most receiving yards in a season, all time, receptions, in a game, seasons over 1000, etc.

5 consecutive pro bowls. 3 all pro.

Lead the league in yards in 06.

Iron man consistency...103 consecutive games since rookie season.

That my friend is HOF #s. Compare to Irvin..and he has already matched him..cept for the SB.

Superbowl: No one on the voting board is going to hold a WR at fault for not making the SB.

mraynrand
08-10-2008, 04:42 PM

Hmmm.... 2 for (possibly) and 8 against. Yeah, c'mon all two of you homers, this isn't realistic.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Hmmm.... 2 for (possibly) and 8 against. Yeah, c'mon all two of you homers, this isn't realistic.

Actually, it was 3..but, is the # important?

Plenty of people view but dont' post.

Pwned!!!

Joemailman
08-10-2008, 06:35 PM
In addition to other arguments made, I would suggest that the 10,000 yard mark as a "magic number" is probably a moving target. More and more WR's rack up big numbers every year. 100 catches used to be truly remarkable, now a few guys will break that every year.

The perception just isn't there that Driver was a dominant WR. He's more likely to be seen as a very good player who benefitted from playing with Favre. I don't think he's more talented than guys like Robert Brooks or Antonio Freeman. He's just going to put up better numbers due to a longer career.

He should end up the Packer record holder for career receptions and maybe career receiving yards. Accomplishments to be proud of for sure. He'll always be remembered in Green Bay regardless of whether he gets into Canton.

Looking at the numbers of the great receivers, he would probably need 12,000 to be considered. Which means he would have to do for the next 5 years what he has done for the last 5. Not likely, but not impossible.

mraynrand
08-10-2008, 07:10 PM

Pwned!!!

Ha ha. Now you presume to know what the viewer/nonposters think. Isuppose now you'll give us an exposition on statistics and sampling errors and one tailed t tests or ANOVA, etc. and how the 'nonposters' can't be estimated from the posters because they are a different group.... yet the 15th wonder knows all. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

mission
08-11-2008, 02:52 AM
I don't think he's more talented than guys like Robert Brooks or Antonio Freeman.

I disagree with this completely.

Talent is a hard term to quantify, so I won't try with statistics, but some of the things we've all see DD do are far beyond the *real* benefactors of Brett Favre that you listed imo ...

Antonio Freeman? I've always hated that clown... even after his goofy catch and run on Monday night. Freeman was *so* overrated.

Robert Brooks? You might be able to make a solid argument ... but Favre in his prime is a big side for me.

Zool
08-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Freeman could find a soft spot in a zone as well as anyone. His problem was he was always a step too slow to break it after that. He's a perfect slot receiver for the WCO.

Cheesehead Craig
08-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Packer HOF - Has a great shot assuming 2-3 more solid years

Canton - Not a chance unless he drops some Moss-type seasons for about 5-6 yrs straight.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Pwned!!!

Ha ha. Now you presume to know what the viewer/nonposters think. Isuppose now you'll give us an exposition on statistics and sampling errors and one tailed t tests or ANOVA, etc. and how the 'nonposters' can't be estimated from the posters because they are a different group.... yet the 15th wonder knows all. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

NO, i don't presume..i'm preaching to them. If any of them are thinking he deserves the hall i'm telling them no way.

Pwned...again.

sharpe1027
08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Driver's problem isn't so much the career numbers as the public perception that he isn't a great WR. I think something like a superbowl MVP would be huge.

DonHutson
08-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Packer HOF - Has a great shot assuming 2-3 more solid years

He's already a lock for the Packer Hall of Fame. Pretty much anyone who starts for more than a few years gets in.

On the all time Packer list he's already #3 in catches with 503, trailing Lofton's 530 and Sharpe's 595. It's not impossible he could be #1 after this year, otherwise he breaks it for sure next year. He's #4 in yards with 6,977 trailing Hutson (7,991), Sharpe (8,134) and Lofton (9,656). A good season puts him at number 3, a great season at number 2. He'd need three decent years to get to number one in yards, which may not happen.

I don't have a list of Packer HOF inductees, but I would guess the bulk of the top 20 in those categories are in. Certainly all of the top ten are.

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Pwned!!!

NO, i don't presume..i'm preaching to them. If any of them are thinking he deserves the hall i'm telling them no way.

Pwned...again.

Hail Messiah!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-11-2008, 06:38 PM

Pwned!!!

Pwned...again.

Hail Messiah!

So, at least you acknowledge that JC wasn't it.

Pwned.

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 10:57 PM
it?

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't think he's more talented than guys like Robert Brooks or Antonio Freeman.

Talent is a hard term to quantify, so I won't try with statistics, but some of the things we've all see DD do are far beyond the *real* benefactors of Brett Favre that you listed imo ...

Antonio Freeman? I've always hated that clown... even after his goofy catch and run on Monday night. Freeman was *so* overrated.

Robert Brooks? You might be able to make a solid argument ... but Favre in his prime is a big side for me.

Agree with this 100%. Driver is a better receiver than Freeman, IMHO. He's had a better career than Brooks--although Robert was pretty damn good before the injuries started hitting him.

Bretsky
08-12-2008, 12:36 AM

Agree with this 100%. Driver is a better receiver than Freeman, IMHO. He's had a better career than Brooks--although Robert was pretty damn good before the injuries started hitting him.

Brooks IMO at his best was a strep up from Driver at his best. Same kind of player....hard workers...Brooks just a bit better.

But he never got it back once he tore the knee apart

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 12:38 AM
In their prime, I'd take Driver over Brooks. Like you said, they are similar players. However, I think Driver's YAC gives him the edge. Drive is sweet with the ball in his hands.

superfan
08-12-2008, 12:55 AM
The only way Driver has a shot at the HOF is if he puts up similar numbers for the next 5-6 years. Even then, his chances are iffy at best. He has never been considered an elite receiver during the time period which he has played, and has not yet won a Super Bowl. Career stats, perception, and championships seem to determine one's chances for the HOF.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 12:57 AM
he is going to be up against guys from the past and guys like Harrison, Owens, Moss.. guys like that... its going to be tough for him because I don't think he plays in the right place to get noticed nor plays in an offense that puts a WR in the spotlight due to the ball being spread around so much, especially in the red zone

Bretsky
08-12-2008, 12:58 AM
In their prime, I'd take Driver over Brooks. Like you said, they are similar players. However, I think Driver's YAC gives him the edge. Drive is sweet with the ball in his hands.

I like Driver more than Brooks; I'd say Driver is hands down my favorite player
now.

But I think Brooks ran better routes and was able to get open more consistently. Had the impression he was able to get open in the red zone more. That might be unfounded. He just seemed more smooth.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 01:00 AM
I think Driver is funnier... I know that doesn't count for a lot but the guy has a hilarious sense of humor ha

Bretsky
08-12-2008, 01:02 AM
they both had absolutely insane workout regiments

Brooks was thought to have the only one that rivaled Jerry Rice

I remember Freeman interviewed after visiting Brooks and going through his workout. Said he'd never do it again and was in incredible pain for days.