PDA

View Full Version : "LAST YEAR WAS A FLUKE..."

MOBB DEEP
08-10-2008, 11:14 AM
rob parker on espn first take says that favre's play last year was a fluke; that management knows it and everybody in GB knows it. could that be why they didnt welcome him back w/open arms????

also, skip bayless says that #4 wont attend any number retiring ceremony in GB. that would be SOME statement....

pbmax
08-10-2008, 11:29 AM
That show might be the worst sports show of all time. I would rather watch Brent Musburger covering the World's Strongest Man competition from 1983 on CBS Sports Spectacular.

motife
08-10-2008, 11:39 AM
more statements by nobodies :

Emmit Smith and Keyshawn predict the Jets will win more games than Green Bay this year.

Several GB players who had difficult exits eventually realize that their heart belongs with the Packers. John Brockington, Donny Anderson, Jim Ringo. One guy who doesn't seem very sentimental about the Pack is Jim Taylor, but he's an exception.

Bretsky
08-10-2008, 12:13 PM
rob parker on espn first take says that favre's play last year was a fluke; that management knows it and everybody in GB knows it. could that be why they didnt welcome him back w/open arms????

also, skip bayless says that #4 wont attend any number retiring ceremony in GB. that would be SOME statement....

The # retirement ceromony has already been put on hold so I don't think there is a statement here

Rob Parker is completely ingnorant. There is a reason TT was terrified to trade him within his division. Last year showed what he was still capable of with weapons and GB was happy to take him back twice.......just not after the draft.

cpk1994
08-10-2008, 12:19 PM

The # retirement ceromony has already been put on hold so I don't think there is a statement here

Rob Parker is completely ingnorant. There is a reason TT was terrified to trade him within his division. Last year showed what he was still capable of with weapons and GB was happy to take him back twice.......just not after the draft.If you think TT was terrified to trade Favre within the division you are more ignorant thatn Parker could ever be. Parker was spot on in my opinion.

pbmax
08-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Given that four people went to Favre's house in GB after the McCarthy sessions (MM, T2 and no idea 1 and no idea 2) and told him his options were Tampa Bay and New York and that he would not be traded to the Bears or the Vikings, I don't think there is any denying Thompson wanted him out of the division.

Whether this is because Thompson fears a repeat of last year's Good Brett in the division or that almost any version of Favre is likely an improvement over Jackson/Orton/Grossman, well, get your Ouija Board out.

And in the end, no matter which you choose, the trade goes the same way.

mraynrand
08-10-2008, 12:32 PM

Rob Parker is completely ingnorant. There is a reason TT was terrified to trade him within his division. Last year showed what he was still capable of with weapons and GB was happy to take him back twice.......just not after the draft.If you think TT was terrified to trade Favre within the division you are more ignorant thatn Parker could ever be. Parker was spot on in my opinion.

You're kidding, right? Just as a PR issue, trading Favre in the division is a disaster. Unless Favre gets hurt, he's easily going to outplay any QB on the Vikiings or Bears. And with four games against the Packers, there's a good chance he'll make the Packers look foolish for trading him. Those pictures and video last forever. Very smart of TT to draw the line of not trading in the Division.

Bretsky
08-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Yes, TT opened up trade talks with Minnesota right off the bat :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Plus, you are one of the few people in here or in WI with enough hate to try to argue last year was a complete fluke. That moron said most in Green Bay. Completely laughable.

Bretsky
08-10-2008, 12:37 PM

You're kidding, right? Just as a PR issue, trading Favre in the division is a disaster. Unless Favre gets hurt, he's easily going to outplay any QB on the Vikiings or Bears. And with four games against the Packers, there's a good chance he'll make the Packers look foolish for trading him. Those pictures and video last forever. Very smart of TT to draw the line of not trading in the Division.

knock off the stuff that makes sense :!: :lol:

cpk1994
08-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Yes, TT opened up trade talks with Minnesota right off the bat :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:You obviously have no clue how the business side of football works. :roll:

Bretsky
08-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Yes, TT opened up trade talks with Minnesota right off the bat :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:You obviously have no clue how the business side of football works. :roll:

And you obviously don't understand common sense

Let the hate continue

cpk1994
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Let the hate continueI understand perfectly. YOu never make your division rival better at your own expense. THe Packers ultimate goal is the SB. Winning your division puts you in an easier position to achieve that goal. One of the keys to win the division is to beat the Vikes. Which way will it be easier, the Vikes with Jackson or the VIkes with Favre? Anyone with common sense, which you very much lack, knows the answer to that one. If you got your head out of Favre's ass you would see that better.

Bretsky
08-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Let the hate continueI understand perfectly. YOu never make your division rival better at your own expense. THe Packers ultimate goal is the SB. Winning your division puts you in an easier position to achieve that goal. One of the keys to win the division is to beat the Vikes. Which way will it be easier, the Vikes with Jackson or the VIkes with Favre? Anyone with common sense, which you very much lack, knows the answer to that one. If you got your head out of Favre's ass you would see that better.

YET you just described PERFECTLY why TT was afraid to trade Favre to Minnesota

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Its just not predictable how Favre will perform this fall. His 2007 season was generally excellent, but he also showed hints of decline later in season.

I think some people are stuck on the GM making a hard prediciton on a player, and basing all decsions on that prediciton. No. GMs have to be smarter than that, they have to take into account the range of possibilities.

TT dumped Favre because he thinks he is on decline, and he wants to develop Rodgers, who is on the rise. TT didn't want Favre in MN in case he is wrong.

3irty1
08-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Does anyone else think Skip Bayless is a hack? He's made a career off of making outrageous predictions that once in a while come true.

cpk1994
08-10-2008, 01:46 PM

YET you just described PERFECTLY why TT was afraid to trade Favre to MinnesotaNah skip it, you can't reason with someone who has his head up Favre's ass.

pbmax
08-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Yes.

Does anyone else think Skip Bayless is a hack? He's made a career off of making outrageous predictions that once in a while come true.

mmmdk
08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I know one thing for sure; Favre won't play in any comfy dome in the regular season this season. I predict that Favre will not play that sharply in november & december cold. Prior to that he'll be ok.

motife
08-10-2008, 03:42 PM

bobblehead
08-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Or it could be that we DID welcome him back with open arms and he retired. Then he unretired and they booked a private jet down to talk with him...probably to get him working with their trainer...and he retired again. I can't imagine why they didn't welcome him back with open arms after he didn't work out all offseason and missed the mini's and the OTA's.

Incidentally, I hope I'm wrong, but I see another 29 pick season for BF, but I would rather he gets them to the playoffs so we get a 2nd.

Guiness
08-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Nah skip it, you can't reason with someone who has his head up Favre's ass.

First off, learn to use the quote feature. It's not that tough, 'long as you have a grade 8 educamation.

Saying last year was a fluke is a sign of pure idiocy. What HH is quite probably true - they think Favre's in decline, and a year or so from now Rodgers will be the better QB. But to honestly think that a 16yr veteran's success last year was a flash in the pan...

Packers4Ever
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I know one thing for sure; Favre won't play in any comfy dome in the regular season this season. I predict that Favre will not play that sharply in november & december cold. Prior to that he'll be ok.

Michael, I think it might depend on where the Packers sit on the win-loss scale that late in the season.
If the first 2-3 months have been more or less of a bust for the Pack, TT may concentrate a little more on having the new QBs play, where if they're doing really well - similar to last year - he may want Favre out on the field a higher % of each game, in the event we'd have a better chance of seeing the play-offs. JMHO.....
And who knows, Favre may not show such sharp reactions to excess cold/wind as he did last year, might have been a fluke. And - we don't know yet which teams we play under a dome either.

MJZiggy
08-10-2008, 09:23 PM
P4E, Brett doesn't play for the Packers anymore, so nothing that happens to them will have an effect on him.

Also, M3 makes the decisions on which players play during the games.

Lurker64
08-10-2008, 09:58 PM
I think, instead of saying last year was a fluke for Favre, it's probably more accurate to say that Favre got a lot of credit for things his WRs did for him last year. How many times did you see a TD pass get taken to the house because Jennings, Driver, or Jones made a good move to beat the coverage, caught the ball 10-20 yards down field, and then just ran away from everybody. While Favre definitely deserves credit for seeing that, and successfully completing the pass there, it doesn't take a hall of fame QB to throw TDs when your WRs are playing that well.

For example, on the winning TD against the Chargers, I have to say personally that I was more impressed by Jennings's ability to thread the defense than Favre's on that play (though both were good.)

Take Favre away from those WRs, and I don't know if he'll be able to replicate last year.

Zool
08-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Michael, I think it might depend on where the Packers sit on the win-loss scale that late in the season.
If the first 2-3 months have been more or less of a bust for the Pack, TT may concentrate a little more on having the new QBs play, where if they're doing really well - similar to last year - he may want Favre out on the field a higher % of each game, in the event we'd have a better chance of seeing the play-offs. JMHO.....
And who knows, Favre may not show such sharp reactions to excess cold/wind as he did last year, might have been a fluke. And - we don't know yet which teams we play under a dome either.

Confusing post.

th87
08-11-2008, 02:53 AM

1. Favre's improved play was a result of accepting MM's coaching. Buy into the system, work out in the offseason, and study. Not a fluke per se, but rather an increase in effort.

2. Management knows something we don't. Otherwise they wouldn't risk their jobs on trading Favre and putting faith in Rodgers.

3. You don't make your division rivals better under any circumstances. Period. Favre is better than any NFC North QB, and there is absolutely no motivation to make division rivals better. This is pretty simple.

Fritz
08-11-2008, 06:38 AM
If the Rob Perker who said what he did is the same guy that writes a column here in Detroit, he's made a living at saying outrageous crap that people get worked up over.

Less and less do I like the sports world. Writers have become often the equivalent of gossip rag hacks, supplementing their incomes by getting talk-show gigs in which they have to come up with enough controversial topics to piss people off enough to call in.

I don't watch ANY pre-game shows. If the Pack is on TV (usually here in Eastern Standard Time it's a 1:00 pm start), I flip on the tube at 1:05 p.m. - just in time to see the ball kicked off.

I wish though that I could listen to the games on Packer radio. Larivee and - who's the other guy? McCarren? - have got to be better than the nondescript TV garbage that does the games. I get s-o-o irked that the announcers don't seem to do their homework. All they ever know is Brett Favre and Donald Driver and that new Grant kid, maybe. But they don't know Spitz from Sitton. They don't really talk about the game itself much. They create storylines.

I could go on. But enough.

Badgerinmaine
08-11-2008, 06:51 AM
I wish though that I could listen to the games on Packer radio. Larivee and - who's the other guy? McCarren? - have got to be better than the nondescript TV garbage that does the games.

You can buy access to the Packers radio broadcasts from the NFL. I do every year; it's how I get most of the games. It's called "NFL Field Pass". I think their pre-season rate is $30 for the season. The package includes every NFL team's games and includes pre-season, too.

prsnfoto
08-11-2008, 08:22 AM

Ya he is serious he is that fucking stupid.

prsnfoto
08-11-2008, 08:38 AM

1. Favre's improved play was a result of accepting MM's coaching. Buy into the system, work out in the offseason, and study. Not a fluke per se, but rather an increase in effort.

2. Management knows something we don't. Otherwise they wouldn't risk their jobs on trading Favre and putting faith in Rodgers.

3. You don't make your division rivals better under any circumstances. Period. Favre is better than any NFC North QB, and there is absolutely no motivation to make division rivals better. This is pretty simple.

1. He finally had some talent around him he didn't in 2005.2006 was average, so was he. Yes MM helped but talent and not feeling like he had to win every game himself was the larger factor.

2. Management is taking a huge gamble, MM's whole crap about he wasn't committed to play was a load of crap, you don't move your family across the country and risk getting torched by the most unforgiving town in sports unless you are COMMITTED. It was personal both ways they all truly can't stand each other anymore mainly BF and TT but MM seemed more pissed than any of them in his presser's something happened, someday a book will be written and we will all find out. Management is staking their future if AR doesn't work out they will be sent packing.

3. You are spot on and BF was still better than 18-20 NFL QB's.

oregonpackfan
08-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I believe last year's outstanding record of 13-3 was only a "fluke" in that Favre and the Packers surprised many people in and around the NFL. Most "experts" and fans predicted a record around the .500 level.

If you recall, during the first half of the season, the Packers did not have a viable running game. The offensive burden was placed on Favre to pass more often than hand off to a running back. The Packers won a lot of games with that unbalanced offense.

When Ryan Grant emerged as a strong running back in midseason, the Packers now had a more balanced offense attack. They developed into one of the strongest offensive units in the NFL.

The defensive unit also surprised many people with their improvement.

The Packers were also just in their second year with their new coach, Mike McCarthy. As he had never held a head coaching position before, there were many question marks about his abilities. He answered all those questions with a solid coaching performance.

rdanomly
08-11-2008, 09:35 AM
I wish though that I could listen to the games on Packer radio. Larivee and - who's the other guy? McCarren? - have got to be better than the nondescript TV garbage that does the games.

You can buy access to the Packers radio broadcasts from the NFL. I do every year; it's how I get most of the games. It's called "NFL Field Pass". I think their pre-season rate is $30 for the season. The package includes every NFL team's games and includes pre-season, too.

I just renewed my subscription today. A decent value and it is fun to listen to a replay of the game the next day at work :)

cpk1994
08-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Nah skip it, you can't reason with someone who has his head up Favre's ass.

First off, learn to use the quote feature. It's not that tough, 'long as you have a grade 8 educamation.

Saying last year was a fluke is a sign of pure idiocy. What HH is quite probably true - they think Favre's in decline, and a year or so from now Rodgers will be the better QB. But to honestly think that a 16yr veteran's success last year was a flash in the pan...I do know how to use the quote feature, or are you blind.

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
3. You are spot on and BF was still better than 18-20 NFL QB's.

Which 11 QBs are better than Favre?

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Favre was one of the top 5 QBs in the league last year. The two years prior, he may not have been in the top 10. I have my doubts about whether Brett could repeat last year's feats--considering he didn't do much work in the offseason. I think the Packers thought that maybe he'd drop down to top 10-12 this year, and they think they can get something close to that from Rodgers this year. If they have Rodgers evaluated properly, maybe they think he'll jump into the top 10 by next year.

texaspackerbacker
08-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Most of this is water over the dam now--welcoming him back or not, etc.

As long as the guy is saying that Favre's performance was a "fluke", and not the team in general, he is not too far off. I wouldn't characterize what Brett did as a "fluke", but it was the result of extraordinary conditioning and preparation--like he didn't do in '06, and like he presumably, didn't do this off-season. Without that, it's logical to assume he will play more like '06 than like last season--not to mention the fact that he is another year older. If, in fact, Thompson and McCarthy thought last year wouldn't be duplicated by Favre, that's the reason why--absence of the extra effort toward preparation.

The other huge factor is that Favre won't have anywhere near the talent around him with the Jets that he did with the Packers. He also may not have an offense specifically limited to accomodate his diminished mobility and slower release, as the Packers used last season.

I'm on record several times now predicting Favre will flop with the Jets.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm on record several times now predicting Favre will flop with the Jets.

And that Georgia will kick Russia's ass. :lol:
And that Favre wanting to play again was a big media hype.

Bretsky
08-11-2008, 05:25 PM

YET you just described PERFECTLY why TT was afraid to trade Favre to MinnesotaNah skip it, you can't reason with someone who has his head up Favre's ass.

I'm a Packer fan first as opposed to a Favre Fan or Favre Hater First

I was the guy who said I was a Packer fan first and would cheer for Green Bay regardless of who the Packer QB was...Rodgers or Favre

You were the guy who noted you would not cheer for Green Bay if Favre was the starter

At best it's open to interpret who has their head up their ass