PDA

View Full Version : PACKER INSIDER'S FIRST ROUND OF PREDICTIONS

Bretsky
06-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Ready or not, here come the predictions
Posted: June 14, 2006

Richard Pufall

The beauty of making bold, somewhat sketchy predictions in June about the Green Bay Packers' 2006 season is that they might be forgotten by the end of December.

And folks, we can only hope so.

At this point, anyone's guess is good. And bad. It probably comes as no surprise to you that sportswriting is not an exact science. Or do you think we spend a lot of time agonizing over and researching this? Actually, we just throw a lot of stuff at the wall and hope some of it sticks. Yup, that's the secret sauce in our forecasting recipe and were not letting go, no matter the consequences. But shhhhhhh . . . don't tell anyone.

Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers begin and end the 2006 season against the Chicago Bears and linebacker Brian Urlacher.

But as a job, it's not packing and lifting and someone has to do it. So here we go:

Sept. 10, Chicago at Green Bay: After wresting the NFC North title from the Packers last season, the Bears and their fans are full of themselves. They believe they are the bull-goose loonies of the division; the team to beat that can't be beaten.

Mike Sherman had a winning record in six seasons as Green Bay's head coach, but he somehow lost the Packers' dominance and edge at Lambeau Field. Mike McCarthy can return some pride to the home turf and win a lot of friends by opening his head-coaching career with a victory over the Bears.

This should be a battle of very good defensive teams.

Chicago's overconfidence and Green Bay's edge on offense should make the difference: Packers 24, Bears 10.

Sept. 17, New Orleans at Green Bay: Reggie Bush brings his awesome talents to Lambeau and he should be enough to make this a close game, not the 52-3 rout that Green Bay enjoyed last season. And everywhere that Bush goes, A.J. Hawk is sure to follow. Drew Brees at quarterback makes New Orleans better, too. But again, Green Bay's defense prevails: Packers 20, Saints 17.

Sept. 24, Green Bay at Detroit: You can't win 'em all. The wheels will come off in the Motor City where Green Bay always seems to sputter: Lions 23, Packers 20.

Oct. 2, Green Bay at Philadelphia: It's Monday night in the city of brotherly loath. Green Bay must show it can win a game in this venue before earning the edge. Eagles 27, Packers 20.

Oct 8, St. Louis at Green Bay: Green Bay will prevail in a battle of teams that aren't what they used to be: Packers 34, Rams 17.

Oct. 22, Green Bay at Miami: Even if Daunte Culpepper isn't healthy enough to play quarterback, Miami will be tough at home: Dolphins 17, Packers 14.

Oct. 29, Arizona at Green Bay: The Cardinals are dripping with talent, but Dennis Green will find a way to lose this one: Packers 31, Cardinals 30.

Nov. 5, Green Bay at Buffalo: Beating Buffalo on the road? Why not? Who could call this an upset? Packers 28, Bills 16.

Nov. 12, Green Bay at Minnesota: Historically, the Packers have struggled at the Metrodome. And it's another painful history lesson for Green Bay. Vikings 21, Packers 17.

Nov. 19, New England at Green Bay: A few years ago this game would be a lot tougher than it is now. Look for Green Bay to play the home card. Packers 30, Patriots 27.

Nov. 27, Green Bay at Seattle: Mike Holmgren has been waiting forever to get Green Bay in Seattle. He gets his wish and a victory on Monday night. Seahawks 24, Packers 17.

Dec. 3, New York Jets at Green Bay: You can't win 'em all at home, either. New York shouldn't win this game, but will find a way: Jets 17, Packers 16.

Dec. 10, Green Bay at San Francisco: Nothing about San Francisco says, "win this game," even on the 49ers' home field. Packers 40, 49ers 14.

Dec. 17, Detroit at Green Bay: The Lions always lose in Green Bay. It's in the NFL rule book. You knew that, right? Packers 37, Lions 17.

Dec. 21, Minnesota at Green Bay: It's a Thursday night before Christmas and all through Green Bay's house not a creature is stirring in the Minnesota offense: Packers 28, Vikings 9.

Dec. 31, Green Bay at Chicago: This game could decide the NFC North champion. And it looks like Da Bears wear Da Crown. Bears 16, Packers 14.

And there you have it. A 9-7 finish. That's a lot better than 4-12 and a winning season is a winning season.

The Packers will return to toughness at home, going 7-1, but will struggle on the road at 2-6. And that 9-7 record might even be good enough for a wild-card ticket to the playoffs.

Partial
06-15-2006, 12:27 AM
I think he's on the money considering what we know about the NFL teams today give or take a game. Injuries are going to be a huge factor so we'll see how it turns out.

mmmdk
06-15-2006, 02:04 AM
9-7 sounds great.

I'm a wee bit of a Trekkie so I'll say 7 of 9...I mean, a 7-9 record for 2006. It could go either way though :oops: :lol: (U don't say, Mike!?). :D

hurleyfan
06-15-2006, 06:19 AM
9 & 7 sounds great, but can't see the Pats losing to the Packers... also don't see the Jets beating the Packers..

Hey wait, that still equals 9 & 7 !

I sure hope they regain the Lambeau Mystique! Teams need to "not want to play" in Lambeau again! This is OUR HOUSE :mrgreen:

b bulldog
06-15-2006, 07:27 AM
I agree with Hurley!

red
06-15-2006, 09:10 AM
i also don't think we beat the pats and lose to the jets.

thats just screwey

pbmax
06-15-2006, 09:41 AM
i also don't think we beat the pats and lose to the jets.

thats just screwey
What Hurley, bulldog and red said. DITTO.

I can't believe I am endorsing a 9-7 record in June. Clearly I need to take a vacation.

bulldog, didn't Jessica's law pass?

Fritz
06-15-2006, 11:58 AM
That's the whole point, PB. You can say anything you want in June.

bbbffl66
06-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Don't we always seem to lose to the Jets and beat the Pats? I agree it would be odd, but GB always seems to jump up and take care of the Pats and will again.

Murphy37
06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
I will be pleasantly suprised to see 9 and 7 after last year's 4 and 12, and a full coaching change.

K-town
06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Don't we always seem to lose to the Jets and beat the Pats? I agree it would be odd, but GB always seems to jump up and take care of the Pats and will again.

The Green Bay Packers, with Brett Favre at QB, have NEVER lost a regular season game to a team coached by Bill Belichek (Browns, 1995; Patriots 2002). Extra credit - we defeated New England, coached by Pete Carroll, 28-10 in 1997, and 28-10 in 2002, when the Pats were coached by the nattily clad Bill Belichek.

Conversely, the Pack has lost in 2000 to the Jets (Lambeau opener, 20-16) and in 2002 (45-17, away).

Tony Oday
06-15-2006, 02:13 PM
With urlacher on the bench with nagging injuries the Pack shut down the strong running bear offense and demolish their ineffective passing game headed up by greise. Pack 27 Bears 6.

wist43
06-15-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't see any hope of getting to 9-7... The Packers don't even belong on the same field as the Patriots, and I fully expect them to struggle mightily out of the gate due to the new coaching staff, and the new blocking scheme.

IMO, Minnesota and Chicago are both much more talented teams - Childress is a wildcard in Minnesota, but I think their talent will win out against the Packers. Chicago is very solid defensively and they have continuity on their side... Green Bay should be an underdog in all 4 of those games.

I'll stick with my prediction of "one game either way of 7-9"... that's as optimistic as I can get. If my true nature carried the day, I'd say 5-11 is much more likely.

Green Bud Packer
06-15-2006, 03:44 PM
i'm stickin to my 10-5-1 with the tie at seattle.holmer won't beat the pack but he won't lose this time either. fuck, still 43 more days till training camp.

packerpete
06-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Minnesota with more talent than GB???
WTF???

What roster have you been looking at?

QB = Brad Johnson
RB = Chester the molestor
TE = Wiggins
WR = ??? crack pipe boy seattle reject

Defense = nobody home

you are nuts, the queens are certainly not loaded, and are not prohibitive favs over the Pack. GB isnt packed with all-pro guys anymore, but we still match up favorably with the purple queens.

HarveyWallbangers
06-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Minnesota with more talent than GB???
WTF???

I agree, and they also have a new coaching staff. New schemes on both sides of the ball too. Their QB manages games well, but I don't see him as much better than average. Plus, he'll likely go down for a few games and then they have Mike McMahon or J.T. O'Sullivan throwing the pill. I like Taylor. Their WRs are a crapshoot. Everybody raves about their OL, but we'll see if Birk can stand up. Hicks is nothing more than average, and Marcus Johnson is all potential at this point. The left-side of the line should be taken care of. Their OL is pretty similar to Green Bay's. Two very good starters for both teams. If Birk comes back healthy, then they'll have a 3rd top notch starter. They have great DTs. Their DEs are all potential at this point. I wasn't impressed with either DE in their rookie years. Who knows what they'll get from Greenway his rookie year. IMHO, he's nowhere near as ready as Hawk is. Leber? Could be good, or he could struggle. MLB? Crapshoot. Antoine Winfield is solid. Fred Smoot is overrated. Sharper is good. The other safety spot? Who knows.

You could do the same thing for the Packers lineup, but I don't see this wealth of talent on the Vikings. I see some potential, and some spots where they could be in serious trouble.

RashanGary
06-16-2006, 01:17 AM
I agree...Minn is nothin.....

Rastak
06-16-2006, 06:22 AM

Nice interpitation of what he said Nick. By the way, that isn't what he said but nice try.
What I read was both teams have questions and I agree with most points. I don't agree that it's a 100% sure Johnson get's hurt. It could happen, old QB's get hurt more often no matter how resiliant they've been in the past. I agree on the new coaching staff questions too. Minnesota has questions on their right side of the line and GB has questions on the interior. Minnesota has WR questions, so does GB if you ask me.

We'll have a better idea how both staffs are doing by the end of preseason.

packers11
06-17-2006, 09:39 AM
[quote="wist43"]I don't see any hope of getting to 9-7... The Packers don't even belong on the same field as the Patriots, and I fully expect them to struggle mightily out of the gate due to the new coaching staff, and the new blocking scheme. quote]

... please.... the patriots are not as good as what they used to be... I live in New England, I have to see every one of thier games.... That team never blows out teams, and has used that defense to thier advantage for the past couple of years... Things have changed and people on New England are starting to worry about that depleated defense...... packers vs patriots is going to be the most exciting game for me this season.... I am expecting a packers win ! Pats haven't showed the Pack up in the last decade... Why should it change??

woodbuck27
06-17-2006, 11:54 AM

Nice interpitation of what he said Nick. By the way, that isn't what he said but nice try.
What I read was both teams have questions and I agree with most points. I don't agree that it's a 100% sure Johnson get's hurt. It could happen, old QB's get hurt more often no matter how resiliant they've been in the past. I agree on the new coaching staff questions too. Minnesota has questions on their right side of the line and GB has questions on the interior. Minnesota has WR questions, so does GB if you ask me.

We'll have a better idea how both staffs are doing by the end of preseason.

Rastak.

Realistically I believe we will see two very close game bet. the Vikings and Packers.Two late FG's settled the issue last season.We blew one huge half time lead because of conservative coaching,IMO.

Have the Vikings improved over the off season? They picked FA's up to replace alot of what they loss'd and their draft wasn't rated as strong as OUR's.They are without Culpepper and need Johnson to guide them conservatively. as he did so well standing in for Culpepp last season.

We certainly improved with OUR FA acquistions in Woodson,Pickett and Manual. Many rated 'the Packer' draft in the A - B range. I truly believe we will surprise alot of the experts in 2006 and could very well handle the Vikings this season in at least one of two contests. I am getting more hope for one win over you fella's (at least) in 2006.

A prediction:

Both OUR games will be, as we saw last season tightly contested, and I do feel that we are stronger at QB. OUR "D" has real potential to . . . . if the Packer OL comes on . . ' a HUGE if ' so NFL teams we face, look out ! We will beat the Vikings in one game in 2006.

Polaris
06-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Minnesota is a 9-7 team that improved during the offseason. I think objectively you'd have to consider them as being ahead of the Packers at this point. Most neutral observers.....you know, the Power Rankings guys and the people who set the line in Vegas.......consider the Vikings ahead of the Packers. It kills me to say it but I think it's true. You especially have to think that adding Steve Hutchinson and Matt Birk to the offensive line is going to help.

I think the Packers, on the offensive side of the ball, are not as good as they appeared to be at this point last season. I'm not sure that they're really any better than they were at the end of last season.. Defensively, yes, I think we're much improved but we're still not on level with the Bears in that regard

I see us as a 5-11 team, last place in the NFC North, and quite possibly one of the weaker teams in the NFC this year. I won't be at all surprised if we're picking around 5th again next year.

motife
06-17-2006, 01:43 PM
From Gary Horton @ Scouts, Inc.

Nate (Madison): How good can the Packers defense be this year? They were #8 at the end of the year and now added a lot of talent via the draft and FA.

Gary Horton: Ironically, even though DC Jim Bates moved on they will still run his scheme. I know they are excited about the tandem of Harris and Woodson at CB and we'll see a lot of in-your-face press schemes out of them. Hawk will be a tremendous addition to the defense at LB. They played above their talent level in 2005, though, and I'm not sure they can repeat that. They got produciton from players no one expected to contribute and they played much better than anticipated. A key for that defense will be getting some help from the running game and getting Favre to cut down on mistakes and turnovers that put them on the field too much last season. But if I'm a Packers fan I'm not overly optimistic in a division where it seems like all the other teams improved in the offseason. But with Favre they always have a puncher's chance.

SD GB fan
06-17-2006, 07:17 PM
first off, i'd like to say that in our division, we probably improved the most. with that said, i agree that repeating at #7 on defense is going to be tough because we played a lot of teams w/o QBs last year and they worked with shorter fields due to TO on our offense. but, with new talent, i expect a doubling in turnovers and better scoring defense this year, the two most important stats. of course, if we improve our rushing defense and our CBs play up to expectations, top 10 shudnt be a problem.