PDA

View Full Version : Too much reporting on Favre

Patler
08-11-2008, 08:31 AM
OK, this is getting ridiculous:

From the GB Press Gazette:

Latest headlines
Favre looks good in his 2nd practice
In his second day of practice with the New York Jets on Sunday, Brett Favre looked far more comfortable than he did on Saturday. (More)

What big city? Favre should feel at home in New Jersey - 4:59 pm

From JSO:

PACKERS BLOG
Favre runs a lap
By Greg A. Bedard
Sunday, Aug 10 2008, 03:29 PM

Green Bay - In case you missed it earlier, Brett Favre had to run a penalty lap this morning at Jets practice.....

The top two articles in the GBPG are about Favre?

"Packers Blog", from "Green Bay" and its a story about the Jets practice???

I can understand fans still being interested in Favre, and the newspapers wanting to satisfy it to some extent, but I think they need to "move on" too. Time to cut the journalistic umbilical cord to Favre. Have an article now and then, but there is no need to report on him as much as when he was in GB.

This is the best they can offer on the morning of the first Packer pre-season game?

Zool
08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
But you are generating hits on the stories by clicking to be disgusted. Still selling ads for them, so they will keep running it.

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Favre? Isn't he that washed up Jets QB?

Patler
08-11-2008, 08:56 AM
But you are generating hits on the stories by clicking to be disgusted. Still selling ads for them, so they will keep running it.

I didn't go to either of the newspaper articles. Just copied the headlines from the front page to post here for discussion. Notice I did not link to either of the articles?

The blog I did go to, expecting something about the Packers. I didn't realize the Jets are practicing in "Green Bay" where the blogger entered his story.

prsnfoto
08-11-2008, 09:48 AM

I didn't go to either of the newspaper articles. Just copied the headlines from the front page to post here for discussion. Notice I did not link to either of the articles?

The blog I did go to, expecting something about the Packers. I didn't realize the Jets are practicing in "Green Bay" where the blogger entered his story.

He is the biggest iconic player of all-time sold the most merchandise and got the biggest ratings in the sport that gets the biggest ratings why does this surprise you? Like it or not he will sell more jerseys in one year than Rodgers likely will in his whole career 11000 fans 10 times what the Jets normally draw. ESPN has had a couple of feel good pieces about Rodgers this weekend and Jaworski even predicted that Rodgers will start a dynasty in GB so for them they have been pretty fair. Whether fans feel like the Packers were right or wrong one fact remains Favre is king and the club threw away 100's of millions of dollars in lost revenue over time, thats why they offered him the huge "donation".

Zool
08-11-2008, 10:01 AM

Ok you didnt, but people will. I'm taking a stand and not clicking on any Packer sites with adds and Favre articles.

Patler
08-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Whether fans feel like the Packers were right or wrong one fact remains Favre is king and the club threw away 100's of millions of dollars in lost revenue over time, thats why they offered him the huge "donation".

Huh???? I doubt that very much.

boiga
08-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't really mind the level of reporting coming from the national media or New York press. Favre is the biggest story out there right now and they are right to cover it.

However, we have reached the point of saturation coverage. Everything that can be reported on from observing a training camp practice will be mentioned by each of the 50+ news agencies in attendance. That's why I don't see the point of having the local beat reporters following this story from New York.

Bring them back to Green Bay to cover OUR team. If GBPG or JSO want to pipe in an AP newswire story of what Favre had for dinner, fine. But Bedard and Demovsky don't need to be in New York on the eve of the preseason opener.

Huh???? I doubt that very much. It is possible. The Jets have already had more than a million dollars worth of Favre Jersey sales. We can't sell anything with his name on it anymore and that is going to take a chunk out of the Packers' revenue.

cpk1994
08-11-2008, 10:50 AM

He is the biggest iconic player of all-time sold the most merchandise and got the biggest ratings in the sport that gets the biggest ratings why does this surprise you? Like it or not he will sell more jerseys in one year than Rodgers likely will in his whole career 11000 fans 10 times what the Jets normally draw. ESPN has had a couple of feel good pieces about Rodgers this weekend and Jaworski even predicted that Rodgers will start a dynasty in GB so for them they have been pretty fair. Whether fans feel like the Packers were right or wrong one fact remains Favre is king and the club threw away 100's of millions of dollars in lost revenue over time, thats why they offered him the huge "donation".ESPN fair to GB? I laugh in your general direction. FOr those couple of puff pieces on Rodgers I give you a bunch of hit pieces from Gene W. Mort, et all, all piling on management for the Favre thing. There is a reason they call it FavreSPN.

Patler
08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't really mind the level of reporting coming from the national media or New York press. Favre is the biggest story out there right now and they are right to cover it.

However, we have reached the point of saturation coverage. Everything that can be reported on from observing a training camp practice will be mentioned by each of the 50+ news agencies in attendance. That's why I don't see the point of having the local beat reporters following this story from New York.

Bring them back to Green Bay to cover OUR team. If GBPG or JSO want to pipe in an AP newswire story of what Favre had for dinner, fine. But Bedard and Demovsky don't need to be in New York on the eve of the preseason opener.

Huh???? I doubt that very much. It is possible. The Jets have already had more than a million dollars worth of Favre Jersey sales. We can't sell anything with his name on it anymore and that is going to take a chunk out of the Packers' revenue.

You said more clearly what I intended, but did not express as thoroughly as you. I think it is time for the local media to start focusing their efforts on the team we have, with less emphasis on another team's player.

I don't doubt the Jets have sold a bunch of Favre stuff. That doesn't mean the Packers would have sold anywhere close to the same amount. The Jets stuff is open to a whole new fan base, the Jets fans, very few of which would have bought a Packer jersey. It is also likely that many Packer/Favre fans who already own one or more Packer jersey have now bought a Jets jersey. If it were not a new and different jersey, many of these would not have bought another. I suspect that the amount of Favre items sold this year and next will far surpass what would have been sold had he stayed with the Packers. Once he retires, the sales will decline significantly, probably relatively rapidly. If I recall correctly, his sales declined significantly during his poorer seasons a few years ago.

An interesting study would be to analyze whether or not all of the hoopla surrounding this has significantly increased his popularity among the rank-and-file NFL fan base (not just Packer and Jet fans), and if this will have any lasting impact, especially since he has gone to one of the largest market areas.

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Once he retires, the sales will decline significantly, probably relatively rapidly. If I recall correctly, his sales declined significantly during his poorer seasons a few years ago.

That's true. No one wants to wear the Uni f a loser. It's like when Jeff Query started having some bad years. I just stopped wearing my Jersey and wouldn't buy a new one, even if he had joined the Jets.

Patler
08-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Once he retires, the sales will decline significantly, probably relatively rapidly. If I recall correctly, his sales declined significantly during his poorer seasons a few years ago.

That's true. No one wants to wear the Uni f a loser. It's like when Jeff Query started having some bad years. I just stopped wearing my Jersey and wouldn't buy a new one, even if he had joined the Jets.

More like "out of sight, out of mind"! :lol: :lol:

Joemailman
08-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Favre? Isn't he that washed up Jets QB?

Is he that clown who doesn't know how to spell his name, or he is that clown who doesn't know how to pronounce his name?

Pugger
08-12-2008, 01:32 AM
I agree. JS and P-G don't need to have reporters over there telling us of every move made by the Jets' new QB. The amount of coverage he is getting is ridiculous. BSPN is even worse. I almost turned the TV off when I saw kornheiser with a #4 Jets jersey on in the booth. :shock: