PDA

View Full Version : For anyone that has spent over $40 filling thier tank...

sheepshead
08-11-2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.nrcc.org/actioncenter/default.asp?ID=317

please sign

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Tank? I thought he was banned?

bobblehead
08-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Political stunt...they should have forced the action and acted like conservatives when they were in the majority, then they wouldn't have to play games now. I'm voting against every incumbant except ensign in our primaries tomorrow.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Political stunt...they should have forced the action and acted like conservatives when they were in the majority, then they wouldn't have to play games now. I'm voting against every incumbant except ensign in our primaries tomorrow.

At least one person here is being intellectually honest.

Ms. Pelosi is acting no differently than the repubs. Many times they refused to bring things to a vote...minimum wage, marianas, etc.

HowardRoark
08-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Interestingly, the free market (invisble hand) seems to be dealing with this problem just fine.

BTW Ty.....age 41,

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/congenital/pfo.aspx

Tyrone Bigguns
08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Interestingly, the free market (invisble hand) seems to be dealing with this problem just fine.

BTW Ty.....age 41,

I don't recall asking your age.

So, the question for you...did god make you that way or are your genes just not supposed to be passed on?

HowardRoark
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM

BTW Ty.....age 41,

So, the question for you...did god make you that way or are your genes just not supposed to be passed on?

"Not to pry..but, you had that stroke recently? Family history? I or H? "

What's your excuse for memory loss?

As for Predestination questions, I think they might be a little above your pay grade.

mraynrand
08-11-2008, 03:37 PM

BTW Ty.....age 41,

As for Predestination questions, I think thay might be a little above your pay grade.

Not at all. The 15th wonder is now the Messiah, preaching from on high.

sheepshead
08-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Minimum wage. Holy Shit. You dont see that as a democrat presidential election year stunt by now? How many high school and college kids and small businesses has that move effected this summer. The argument for that thing is total crap and can be disputed by anyone that didnt sleep through econ 101.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is somehow its the Presidents job to respond to and clean up after hurricanes.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-11-2008, 06:23 PM

BTW Ty.....age 41,

As for Predestination questions, I think thay might be a little above your pay grade.

Umm...i think your stroke has really affected you..read that again...nowhere did i ask your age.

Predistination: Huh? God or genes..simple question.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Minimum wage. Holy Shit. You dont see that as a democrat presidential election year stunt by now? How many high school and college kids and small businesses has that move effected this summer. The argument for that thing is total crap and can be disputed by anyone that didnt sleep through econ 101.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is somehow its the Presidents job to respond to and clean up after hurricanes.

Of course it is...not like the dems haven't been after it for years. :oops:

Effected: Burden of proof is on you.

Econ 101: Everything can be disputed.

Hurricanes: Not this presidents. If anyone has proven that gov't can't solve problems or do anything right it would be bush.

HowardRoark
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Umm...i think your stroke has really affected you..read that again...nowhere did i ask your age.

As to your first, um, point…..two years ago. But what good would that answer have been in the world of reasonable humans? Two years relative to what? I haven’t been here for a few days; let me adjust back to the world of antagonism.

For your second statement, you are mixing Creation with Evolution, so I should disregard your question outright….

All people (or fetuses if you prefer) have a hole in their atrium wall before they are born, so the answer to your question is that yes, we are all created that way. My genes are already passed on, so, what exactly is your second question?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-11-2008, 07:53 PM

As to your first, um, point…..two years ago. But what good would that answer have been in the world of reasonable humans? Two years relative to what? I haven’t been here for a few days; let me adjust back to the world of antagonism.

For your second statement, you are mixing Creation with Evolution, so I should disregard your question outright….

All people (or fetuses if you prefer) have a hole in their atrium wall before they are born, so the answer to your question is that yes, we are all created that way. My genes are already passed on, so, what exactly is your second question?

1. What good? A reference point as to your issue with memory/etc...as to your joke. Was it recent...like yesterday..or 10 years ago.

More to the point..since you saw my question...what is the point of giving your age...how does that answer any of the question.?

2. No, i'm not. I'm asking whether you believe that god intended for the hole not to close or was it simply bad genes...ie, then natural selection.

Or do you believe god wanted the hole not to close..as he also must have wanted scientists/docs to figure out how to solve that problem.

Antagonism: You reap what you so. You don't find me in the threads making jokes at your expense...like you do to me (ex: your apple crack). Cry me a river. I can certainly take the heat..but, don't then wonder why things are the way they are.

P.S. I notice you gave up your futile education and medical reply...because as i noted..you were completely wrong.

HowardRoark
08-11-2008, 08:14 PM

1. What good? A reference point as to your issue with memory/etc...as to your joke. Was it recent...like yesterday..or 10 years ago.

More to the point..since you saw my question...what is the point of giving your age...how does that answer any of the question.?

2. No, i'm not. I'm asking whether you believe that god intended for the hole not to close or was it simply bad genes...ie, then natural selection.

Or do you believe god wanted the hole not to close..as he also must have wanted scientists/docs to figure out how to solve that problem.

Antagonism: You reap what you so. You don't find me in the threads making jokes at your expense...like you do to me (ex: your apple crack). Cry me a river. I can certainly take the heat..but, don't then wonder why things are the way they are.

P.S. I notice you gave up your futile education and medical reply...because as i noted..you were completely wrong.

I can honestly say that the only thing that makes sense in this post is that you meant “sew” instead of “so.”

Are there some innately unfavorable heritable traits in those that don’t reproduce?

What “apple crack?”

What do mean by “futile education and medical reply...because as i noted..you were completely wrong.”

You are trying to start something about God, but are tangling a web of nonsense.

sheepshead
08-11-2008, 08:20 PM

Hurricanes: Not this presidents. If anyone has proven that gov't can't solve problems or do anything right it would be bush.

Its not their job!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
I can honestly say that the only thing that makes sense in this post is that you meant “sew” instead of “so.”

Are there some innately unfavorable heritable traits in those that don’t reproduce?

What “apple crack?”

What do mean by “futile education and medical reply...because as i noted..you were completely wrong.”

You are trying to start something about God, but are tangling a web of nonsense.

1. So. Mistake. Good catch.
2. That depends on the reason. I would say yes or no..depending on the instance. This would be similar to a rapist. There is evidence to support that those types (not all rapists) wouldn't be able to reproduce without it. So, maladjusted/crazy/autistic/etc. people that have no social skills that lead to reproduction definitely have heritable traits that aren't suppose to be passed on.

If, one chooses not to reproduce then i would say no.

3. Apple Crack. Use the search function. you made a crack about me regarding apple computers. The point is that you have chosen to make jokes at my expense when i'm not even involved with a thread. Care to deny it?

4. Futile. Nope, that is why it is a ps. You asked for my response..i gave it..then you dropped it....when, of course the evidence was 100 percent against you...ie, who took care of the sick before our current system, etc.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Its not their job!

Good to see you abandoned the other 3. :roll:

Job: Says who? Care to explain what FEMA is for?

HowardRoark
08-11-2008, 09:03 PM
2. That depends on the reason. I would say yes or no..depending on the instance. This would be similar to a rapist. There is evidence to support that those types (not all rapists) wouldn't be able to reproduce without it. So, maladjusted/crazy/autistic/etc. people that have no social skills that lead to reproduction definitely have heritable traits that aren't suppose to be passed on.

3. Apple Crack. Use the search function. you made a crack about me regarding apple computers. The point is that you have chosen to make jokes at my expense when i'm not even involved with a thread. Care to deny it?

4. Futile. Nope, that is why it is a ps. You asked for my response..i gave it..then you dropped it....when, of course the evidence was 100 percent against you...ie, who took care of the sick before our current system, etc.

So, who decides? You say "yes and no".....and you are just one person. Your whole theory depends on "yes and no?" I need more.

Your Honor, I have never insulted Ty's use of Apple computers.

Despite your efforts, your explanation concerning #4 remains opaque. Sorry.

HowardRoark
08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
O.K. I think I get it. You are dragging up old threads. I was trying to connect the dots; didn’t realize we were going back a few weeks.

Perhaps you are allergic to the concept of someone agreeing with you, or at the least, not being outright antagonistic toward you, but I already commented on those two issues.

As far as education, if you recall, I stated that I, unlike you am not omniscient….therefore I don’t have all the answers. What I do believe is that competition will always raise the level of a product; in this case, education. Your point was what to do if it fails, making the analogy of the mortgage markets today. Harlan made a similar observation: “what if no private schools want to go into a bad neighborhood?” I agreed that some Government oversight would be needed in the privatization of schools. In Capitalism, the one downfall is what to do with the “least of these”….this would be an example of this concept. I would argue that Capitalism affords such wealth to people that they fill in the gaps through philanthropy. And, this segues into the broader point. Historically, it is religious institutions that have gone in to take care of “the least of these”; both education and hospitals.

For what it’s worth, this summer has provided a perfect laboratory to test certain macro ideas that Conservatives hold dear. That is why I posed the thread “Moral Hazards and Happy Meals for the Circle Jerk.” It is big question. Your cloying parsing of sentences, words and letters might help you in the bumper sticker industry, but it does not answer any questions.

So, there is your answer.

As for your latest little question concerning God and Evolution; one year ago, oleman, GK, Cy, GreenDay and I went around and around on theological issues with you. Quite frankly, it’s not worth it.

One last thing; I did notice that I suggested you apply for the Professional Tool position at Apple. Sorry about that, I won’t randomly make cracks about you anymore. Randomly.

But it did make Ziggy laugh.

HowardRoark
08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Back to the cost of Gasoline.

The guy who controls the cost more than anyone is ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet.

A few weeks ago, he was publicly calling out Bernanke on his monetary policy. Trichet has been proven wrong. Europe is indeed slowing. He has had to change his stance on rates. This has violently shifted the currencies. The Dollar has strengthened. Oil has come down.

Notice how the oil markets have shrugged off this little skirmish in Georgia. Can you imagine how this news would have effected oil just one month ago?

Trichet repeated that at present, the ECB has "no bias" with regards to the future path of monetary policy.

It’s all about the Dollar.

hoosier
08-12-2008, 09:55 AM

If that's the only thing that made sense then we can safely say nothing did. Before you start throwing stones, I think you mean "sow," as in "You reap what you sow." That's a problem of the computer age: nobody nose how too spell anymore. :P

HowardRoark
08-12-2008, 10:29 AM

If that's the only thing that made sense then we can safely say nothing did. Before you start throwing stones, I think you mean "sow," as in "You reap what you sow." That's a problem of the computer age: nobody nose how too spell anymore. :P

Touché.

Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee I guess.

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 01:25 PM
As for your latest little question concerning God and Evolution; one year ago, oleman, GK, Cy, GreenDay and I went around and around on theological issues with you. Quite frankly, it’s not worth it.

Was that on the JS site? We should get those guys over here to spark up the conversation.

HowardRoark
08-12-2008, 01:30 PM

Was that on the JS site? We should get those guys over here to spark up the conversation.

I'll work on oleman!, GK, and Cy.....you can track down Greenday.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 03:39 PM

So, who decides? You say "yes and no".....and you are just one person. Your whole theory depends on "yes and no?" I need more.

Your Honor, I have never insulted Ty's use of Apple computers.

Despite your efforts, your explanation concerning #4 remains opaque. Sorry.

1. You asked about people who are childless and whether that is something passed on. Yes or no..it isn't a decision. If one decides to not have children..active thought..then it isn't a gene. What is hard to figure out.

2. Apple. So, now you've found it...and yet, while you say you won't insult ramdomly..i see nothing that puts the antagonistic attitude at your feet. You reap what you sow.

3. Education. You asked specifically what was done before public schools. It was at this point that you dropped the discussion without acknowledging the fact the gov't has always been involved.

Same with medical care. Which when pointed out the poor houses were run by the gov't...no acknowledgement. Just as you didn't acknowledge that we didn't arrive at this current medical situation by accident..the ama, hospitals, etc.

4. Education competition. This is your same argument. Yet, i have asked you repeatedly to tell me about the countries that do the best in education and tell me about how their system works. Is it surprising that you don't?

Finally, we do have competition in this country...or do you not call parochial schools, private schools, home schooling, etc. not competition.

HowardRoark
08-12-2008, 04:05 PM
1. You asked about people who are childless and whether that is something passed on. Yes or no..it isn't a decision. If one decides to not have children..active thought..then it isn't a gene. What is hard to figure out.

2. Apple. So, now you've found it...and yet, while you say you won't insult ramdomly..i see nothing that puts the antagonistic attitude at your feet. You reap what you sow.

3. Education. You asked specifically what was done before public schools. It was at this point that you dropped the discussion without acknowledging the fact the gov't has always been involved.

Same with medical care. Which when pointed out the poor houses were run by the gov't...no acknowledgement. Just as you didn't acknowledge that we didn't arrive at this current medical situation by accident..the ama, hospitals, etc.

4. Education competition. This is your same argument. Yet, i have asked you repeatedly to tell me about the countries that do the best in education and tell me about how their system works. Is it surprising that you don't?

Finally, we do have competition in this country...or do you not call parochial schools, private schools, home schooling, etc. not competition.

You said, “maladjusted/crazy/autistic/etc. people that have no social skills that lead to reproduction definitely have heritable traits that aren't suppose to be passed on.” So, what about evil people who have enough “social skills” to have sex? What about a guy like Josef Mengele? I am trying to figure out how Darwin weeds out evil people who have enough “social skills” to get laid.

I will try to stop being antagonist with you. Just stop the parsing. You make Bill Clinton blush.

As far as education, there is an oligopoly. I DO consider parochial schools the competition. And the empirical evidence points that many of these schools, in particular in inner cities, do well for the students; ergo the need for more of this competition.

As far as healthcare, I think the system is screwed up right now. We stand at a crossroads; we either go to more Centralized system or more Free market. I think more free market (with the consumer in charge of their decisions) will solve the problems. Period. I will concede virtually everything else you have or will say on this subject.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 04:24 PM

You said, “maladjusted/crazy/autistic/etc. people that have no social skills that lead to reproduction definitely have heritable traits that aren't suppose to be passed on.” So, what about evil people who have enough “social skills” to have sex? What about a guy like Josef Mengele? I am trying to figure out how Darwin weeds out evil people who have enough “social skills” to get laid.

I will try to stop being antagonist with you. Just stop the parsing. You make Bill Clinton blush.

As far as education, there is an oligopoly. I DO consider parochial schools the competition. And the empirical evidence points that many of these schools, in particular in inner cities, do well for the students; ergo the need for more of this competition.

As far as healthcare, I think the system is screwed up right now. We stand at a crossroads; we either go to more Centralized system or more Free market. I think more free market (with the consumer in charge of their decisions) will solve the problems. Period. I will concede virtually everything else you have or will say on this subject.

See..even when you try to be civil you can't. You insult me by saying i'm parsing.

1. Evil people. Exactly who defines that. Should I ask that of prez bush..since many consider him evil?

When using darwin you don't look at individuals...you look at the flock. You dont' look at one instance. C'mon..that ain't parsing.

How are we not to know that mengele and his ilk help us define what is unacceptable and therefore help the species?

2. Schools. Well, what is stopping more parochial schools? If more are needed or wanted surely someone will fill the need. Isn't that what the free market is about? Now you want to influence it.

But, more importantly you drop the biggest point..education standards/achievements in other countries. Why? Perhaps because it doesnt' suit your argument?

You may say that we have an oligopoly, but what you and other conservatives want is a plutocracy. There is a reason we need a gov't and not putting everything in companies...they don't answer to the people.

We see how well outsourcing everything in iraq worked. Billions lost.

3. Medical. Free market...dream on. No one wants to have a pay for service. You didn't want it..you couldn't have afforded your medical.

We haven't ever had a free market in medical...ama perverted it, formalizing education perverted it, hospitals perverted it, gov't money for research perverted it.

But, i'm all for it...as long as we truly have it. No more gifts to big pharm, no more breaks for hospitals, no more state run medical schools...doctors should pay for their education as well...why should they get subsidized educations and then make extraordinary salaries, etc.

I'm always for the free market. But, i see very little of it in this country.

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 06:20 PM
1. Evil people. Exactly who defines that. Should I ask that of prez bush..since many consider him evil?

When using darwin you don't look at individuals...you look at the flock. You dont' look at one instance. C'mon..that ain't parsing.

How are we not to know that mengele and his ilk help us define what is unacceptable and therefore help the species?

You make an excellent point. How do you even define 'help' or 'hurt' for the species, in light of Darwin? Unless you have a total extinction, it's entirely possible that all sorts of 'horrible things' as we see them (such as massive slaughter or whole population exterminations) could 'help' the species. But does it help for 5,000 years or for 10 million years? What's the difference to evolution? Evolution is completely blind and directionless. Human extinction could set the stage for a 'better' intelligent species (better in evolutionary terms, if you agree that 'better' means longer survival). Quite a conundrum isn't it. Poppers' Poverty of Historicism folds quite easily into evolutionary considerations like this.

HowardRoark
08-12-2008, 07:27 PM

See..even when you try to be civil you can't. You insult me by saying i'm parsing.

2. Schools. Well, what is stopping more parochial schools? If more are needed or wanted surely someone will fill the need. Isn't that what the free market is about? Now you want to influence it.

But, more importantly you drop the biggest point..education standards/achievements in other countries. Why? Perhaps because it doesnt' suit your argument?

You may say that we have an oligopoly, but what you and other conservatives want is a plutocracy. There is a reason we need a gov't and not putting everything in companies...they don't answer to the people.

We see how well outsourcing everything in iraq worked. Billions lost.

3. Medical. Free market...dream on. No one wants to have a pay for service. You didn't want it..you couldn't have afforded your medical.

We haven't ever had a free market in medical...ama perverted it, formalizing education perverted it, hospitals perverted it, gov't money for research perverted it.

But, i'm all for it...as long as we truly have it. No more gifts to big pharm, no more breaks for hospitals, no more state run medical schools...doctors should pay for their education as well...why should they get subsidized educations and then make extraordinary salaries, etc.

I'm always for the free market. But, i see very little of it in this country.

Maybe my telling you that you parse too much is helping you. Maybe I am helping you to survive. Perhaps you owe me your life. Or, who cares if I offend? What is offense anyway? My nihilistic Post-Modern friend’s skin is a bit too thin to be a survivor in the herd.

Or, I could take a different approach and acknowledge that I offend, therefore I should stop. It is intuitively wrong to be offensive. And somewhere, if I search, I will discover from where that intuition comes.

I don’t care if another country has great schools. We don’t. And I am done going down the same path, all the while moving the goal posts, that we have for the past 40 years. We need a new approach. The reason parochial schools are at a disadvantage is the cost. A poor family can not afford to send their kids to the school, so they must go to the Government schools.

I am a broken record on the healthcare thing: HSAs and high deductible plans.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 07:33 PM

You make an excellent point. How do you even define 'help' or 'hurt' for the species, in light of Darwin? Unless you have a total extinction, it's entirely possible that all sorts of 'horrible things' as we see them (such as massive slaughter or whole population exterminations) could 'help' the species. But does it help for 5,000 years or for 10 million years? What's the difference to evolution? Evolution is completely blind and directionless. Human extinction could set the stage for a 'better' intelligent species (better in evolutionary terms, if you agree that 'better' means longer survival). Quite a conundrum isn't it. Poppers' Poverty of Historicism folds quite easily into evolutionary considerations like this.

You cannot go against nature
Because when you do
Go against nature
It's part of nature too

Love & Rockets

bobblehead
08-12-2008, 10:33 PM
That is partly true Howard, the dollar has a lot to do with it. Interestingly one of the "good" things that has come from the banking crisis is tightened lending practices which in turn is helping strengthen the dollar....unfortunately commercial lending is also at a standstill and this is hurting the entire economy and costing us jobs. Its a catch 22 that we have gotten ourselves into and someone a lot fucking smarter than me (or anyone running for or acting as president) is gonna have to figure out the mess. I hope Bernanke is smarter than I think he is.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Maybe my telling you that you parse too much is helping you. Maybe I am helping you to survive. Perhaps you owe me your life. Or, who cares if I offend? What is offense anyway? My nihilistic Post-Modern friend’s skin is a bit too thin to be a survivor in the herd.

Or, I could take a different approach and acknowledge that I offend, therefore I should stop. It is intuitively wrong to be offensive. And somewhere, if I search, I will discover from where that intuition comes.

I don’t care if another country has great schools. We don’t. And I am done going down the same path, all the while moving the goal posts, that we have for the past 40 years. We need a new approach. The reason parochial schools are at a disadvantage is the cost. A poor family can not afford to send their kids to the school, so they must go to the Government schools.

I am a broken record on the healthcare thing: HSAs and high deductible plans.

Parse: I couldn't care less. You do what you want. I'm only pointing out your behavior..just as you are doing to me. I havent' complained...so, spare me the thin skin. This was all in relation to your comment that played the victim.."why are you so antagonistic"...you come from the Hannity school.

Schools: If you dont care, then how can you be sure that the problem will be solved? That is highly ineffective. You are making huge assumptions without doing any "needs analysis."

This just comes across as another attempt to privatize.

Poor can't afford parochial schools. Interesting that you now care so much about them. But, i've seen plenty of poor that send their kids to parochial schools.

And, if it is important they will work harder and make sacrifices. Or, a low cost school will fill that need.

You nor any of your compatriots has ever presented a school that can run and be profitable for low dollars.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

HowardRoark
08-12-2008, 11:12 PM
......you come from the Hannity school

What's a Hannity School?

Generally speaking, you are correct, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR........in a free market.

Evidently, it buys sentences ending in prepositions.

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 11:55 PM
You nor any of your compatriots has ever presented a school that can run and be profitable for low dollars.

Boy, we've been working at that school thing for a long time - you'd think we'd be turning a profit by now.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
......you come from the Hannity school

What's a Hannity School?

Generally speaking, you are correct, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR........in a free market.

Evidently, it buys sentences ending in prepositions.

Perhaps i spelled it wrong..but Mr. Sean Hannity. Attack and then cry when others call you on it.

Prep: Seems like an ad hominem attack...aren't you against those. :lol:

Furthermore, i'm guessing you weren't an english major...since if you were you'd know that ending a sentence with a prep isn't a rule. English isn't descended from Latin..and therefore trying to enforce english into latin rules doesn't always work. English descended from German. Certain rules based on Latin grammar simply do not fit the structure of English.

Often what is perceived as a prep is really part of the verb..adverbial predicate..."put up with"..would be one example...and quite appropo..since that is what i'm doing with you.

Hopefully, you have learned something today. :lol:

Game, Set, Match. :lol: :lol:

HowardRoark
08-13-2008, 04:26 PM

Furthermore, i'm guessing you weren't an english major...since if you were you'd know that ending a sentence with a prep isn't a rule. English isn't descended from Latin..and therefore trying to enforce english into latin rules doesn't always work. English descended from German. Certain rules based on Latin grammar simply do not fit the structure of English.

Often what is perceived as a prep is really part of the verb..adverbial predicate..."put up with"..would be one example...and quite appropo..since that is what i'm doing with you.

Where did you learn all this stuff at?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Where did you learn all this stuff at?

While a decent attempt at humor..the sentence works better as "where did you learn all this stuff?"

Your way vs. what sounds better:

It isn't necessary to alert us to situations of which we are aware.

or

It isn't necessary to alert us to situations which we are aware of.

But, a quick gander thru A Dictionary of Modern English Usage:

It was once a cherished superstition that prepositions must be kept true to their name and placed before the word they govern in spite of the incurable English instinct for putting them late. . . . The fact is that. . . . even now immense pains are sometimes expended in changing spontaneous into artificial English. . . . Those who lay down the universal principle that final prepositions are 'inelegant' are unconsciously trying to deprive the English language of a valuable idiomatic resource, which has been used freely by all our greatest writers except those whose instinct for English idiom has been overpowered by notions of correctness derived from Latin standards. The legitimacy of the prepositional ending in literary English must be uncompromisingly maintained. . . .
In avoiding the forbidden order, unskillful handlers of words often fall into real blunders. . .

In: Sleeping Dogs Don't Lay: Practical Advice for the Grammatically Challenged

"Like the imagined rule against splitting infinitives, the notion that it's somehow wrong to end a sentence (or a clause) with a preposition likely grew out of early grammarians' attempts to force English to follow the rules of Latin . . ."

You are welcome. :wink:

HowardRoark
08-13-2008, 05:11 PM
While a decent attempt at humor..the sentence works better as "where did you learn all this stuff?"

Your way vs. what sounds better:

It isn't necessary to alert us to situations of which we are aware.

or

It isn't necessary to alert us to situations which we are aware of.

But, a quick gander thru A Dictionary of Modern English Usage:

It was once a cherished superstition that prepositions must be kept true to their name and placed before the word they govern in spite of the incurable English instinct for putting them late. . . . The fact is that. . . . even now immense pains are sometimes expended in changing spontaneous into artificial English. . . . Those who lay down the universal principle that final prepositions are 'inelegant' are unconsciously trying to deprive the English language of a valuable idiomatic resource, which has been used freely by all our greatest writers except those whose instinct for English idiom has been overpowered by notions of correctness derived from Latin standards. The legitimacy of the prepositional ending in literary English must be uncompromisingly maintained. . . .
In avoiding the forbidden order, unskillful handlers of words often fall into real blunders. . .

In: Sleeping Dogs Don't Lay: Practical Advice for the Grammatically Challenged

"Like the imagined rule against splitting infinitives, the notion that it's somehow wrong to end a sentence (or a clause) with a preposition likely grew out of early grammarians' attempts to force English to follow the rules of Latin . . ."

You are welcome. :wink:

Very informative, I will have to remember those ones.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Ty, however, is not advocating having your children not learn the basics. After all, we want your conservative genes passed on..and uptight white chicks that your sons might marry can be awfully unforgiving for these types of gaffes. :wink: